5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time using ths kit
Published on May 26, 2011 by P. Tang

3.0 out of 5 stars Item works; Necessary shaft-length measurement iffy
Published on January 9, 2011 by prettytree

3.0 out of 5 stars Item works; Necessary shaft-length measurement iffy, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Clock Movement Quartz Square Straight Black Hand Shaft 1/2" Kit (Watch)
I bought this as a replacement unit. I measured the length of the shaft from the original movement, and then used the "Reference Guide" at the top of this page to order the correct shaft size of the new Paylak unit. Some problems exist with the Reference Guide Diagram (imho). The "B" (Dimension of Shaft Length)is a lineal distance from the point the unit rests against the back of the clock face, then through the thickness of the clock face, and then the distance from the clock face to a point in space that will include the hour, minute, and second hands' thicknesses. The distance of the shaft on the old unit was 1/2". That distance was a perfect length for the clockface, second, minute, hours hands. So I ordered the "Clock Movement Quartz Square Straight Black Hand Shaft 1/2" Kit". When the unit arrived, the actual shaft length was 1". The sealed package had the correct marking, ie "Clock Movement Quartz Square Straight Black Hand Shaft 1/2" Kit". So, either the unit inside was the wrong one, or Paylak measures in a differnet manner than what the Reference Guide Diagram infers. (And, yes I measured the shaft, face, hands, MANY times-not just twice-before I ordered). The box did not have a receipt or an Amazon returns form. Rather than the hassle of calling Amazon, mailing it back, etc., I placed varying thicknesses of washers on the Paylak shaft between the movement box and the back of the clock face until I had the correct shaft distance on the outside of the clockface. That distance could only be determined by varying the number and/or thicknesses of the washers on the shaft in back of the clockface. The movement is working fine, keeps the correct time, so I recommend the item itself, but have some reservations on the ease of installation given the vague, off-hand, arbitrary ways to determine the correct shaft-length to order from the Paylak Reference Guide Diagram. But, you could luck out and get the exact shaft length you need...

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time using ths kit, May 26, 2011
P. Tang (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I've used this product twice now to repair clocks--very straightforward and it works. Although the kit is about half the price of a new clock, I hate throwing away a perfectly good item just because the ticker quits working. My only advice in using the kit is to measure the stem--the part that sticks out on which the hands attach--on the current clock so you purchase the right size. Other than that, it's a piece of cake to install.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware... Not made in USA, August 4, 2012
Richard Brown (Farmington Hills, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I paid a premium price over local available Chinese clock movements because this item description said made in USA. I wanted a made in USA part. The Amazon invoice says made in USA, the package label says made in USA, however, the movement case says made in China. I feel misled by the vendor Paylak, Inc. and by Amazon for the incorrect description. So if you too want a USA made part look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement movement, February 10, 2013
My wife has had a kitchen clock (wooden) for over 30 years. The quartz movement died last week, and I cast about looking for a replacement. Due, frankly, to the Amazon Prime 2 day delivery, I ordered this movement, even though it was a bit more expensive than I could have spent elsewhere.

Got the unit in the advertised two days, and as expected, it was mostly a piece of cake to replace. The ONLY ding (and I suspect this is going to be the norm across any of these replacement movements) is that the hands were just downright cheap. Meaning, cheap material, VERY easy to bend. It would have been nice to get hands with a bit more of a firm metal, but I suspect that those days are over.

Overall, definitely a good product. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars As advertized, January 7, 2013
Not much to say - these are cheap clockworks that work to replace broken works or to build your own clocks. Recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very descriptive, January 17, 2013
Tracie (pocatello idaho) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a motor in my moms clock. I followed the shaft measuring guide and it still came wrong. I ordered a 1/2" and what came was a 1". S it was too big. There is nowhere in the description that says what clock face size the motor works for. The clock I got it for was a 20" or bigger, this motor is meant for a much smaller clock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, September 8, 2013
I purchase two of these (first time I got the shaft length wrong).

The movement does not work. Simply attached the hands, put in a battery, and nothing moved. Tested the batters - it was new, but tries another.

Cheap product, probably not worth the effort of returning, but having two of these simply not work right out of that package I will return anyway just to make sure this transaction ends up costing the seller money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, easy to use, April 22, 2012
Ian (EXETER, NH, United States) - See all my reviews
The construction is adequate and the hands etc. look good. These look nice on some clocks I've been making for friends. The time is set with a simple dial on the back - easy but not nuclear accurate or anything. I would recommend this product for general use.

2.0 out of 5 stars clock movement, September 27, 2012
This is a functioning, inexpensive but also cheap-looking item. The movement itself is OK, but the other parts (clock hands) are rather unattractive, "clumsy" looking. The centre-locking part is also rather crude. This clock movement may work well for a larger clocks but is not very suitable for clock faces smaller than about 4 inches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only worked for a week or two !, August 31, 2013
Simple to install, but only worked for a week or two. I changed batteries twice in the hope that was the proble. No such luck. Not worth the hassle and cost to return. I'll just have to buy another brand that will hopefully work.

Rate and Discover Movies