5.0 out of 5 stars Hot summer title! Recommended!
Published on May 18, 2011 by carla land

1.0 out of 5 stars I Expected NON Fiction
I was so disappointed with this book as I expected a NON-fiction book chronicling UFO sightings in the Old West. Perhaps I should have scoured the reviews more closely.

Published 2 months ago by NHBunion

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot summer title! Recommended!, May 18, 2011
carla land (South Padre Island, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Old West (Paperback)
More a fan of history than science fiction, I found this novel a surprising combination of well crafted action and adventure, but with amazing and accurate historical content - based upon a great sci-fi theme. Imagine X-Files of the 1800s with a Native American twist! The character development is great, and the author sprinkles in some surprising popular figures of the 19th century who are invloved in the plot line. The historical annotations throughout the book and a comprehensive appendix that provides interesting insight into actual and published alien encounters and UFO sightings of the Old West adds extra value that I didn't expect. And I liked that there are plenty of references to Native American legends that make the novel even more interesting and informative. I also love the Cherokee language sprinkled throughout, plus the language appendix in the back! As a former bookseller, this book ranks well as a highly marketable product. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cowboys and Aliens and Indians, oh my! Fun Read, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Old West (Paperback)
With the blockbuster summer movie Cowboys & Aliens just a few months away I wanted to read something to get me in the "mood" for what will surely be the summers biggest movie. I didn't find awhole lot available in this kind of weird off shot genre, but came across the title, "Close Encounters of the Old West" and thought I'd give it a shot. What FUN! First of all there is great character development throughout the novel and I particularly enjoyed the detail the writer paid to incorporating historical facts of the 1800's while putting a speculative spin on it to make it entertaining. For example, I'm a bit of a history nut so without giving the story line away I enjoyed the way the author incorporated some very interesting but odd facts about characters like President Garfield and Alexander Graham Bell into the story line who play key roles in the book.

In addition to an entertaing story I found the historical appendix at the back fascinating, I had no idea there were so many "UFO" sitings accounted for during that period of time. Being an avid reader, I have had experience as a book buyer and bookstore manager for Barnes and Noble and an independent bookstore, I would definitely order this title to market with the Cowboys & Aliens graphic novel, display etc. and I would think it would be a great recommend for a fun summer beach read for the young adult and up audience and sci-fi, western fans! I think the author should make into a graphic novel.

Jan Phillips
Book Buyer/Store Manager
Barnes & Noble

1.0 out of 5 stars I Expected NON Fiction, November 6, 2014
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Old West (Paperback)

There ARE several historical account in the Appendix at the very back of the book, fascinating descriptions of peculiar things in the sky, taken from newspapers of that time. But most of the book is nothing I found interesting. This is one book I truly regret buying.

For anyone interested in American Indian language there are quite a few pages devoted to that. I just wish the entire book were non-fiction UFO reports.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Old West (Paperback)
I have always been interested in unexplained events either above, on (vampires), or under the earth. As a Native American (I believe Cherokee) he incorporates these events,legends from his Nation, historical characters (such as Alexander Grahm Bell) into a science fiction novel. The story moves at a fast pace until the last pages when it gets tangled.
He has included some fascinating items in the appendix-an historical recap of the events, description of the Cherokee language and phrases, and some phrases. What he should have done is to explain the phrase or words he uses in the novel.
I have both of his novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars the old, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Old West (Paperback)
This was an interesting and fun book to read. A whole different way of looking at the old west and read what we never learned in school

Close Encounters of the Old West
Close Encounters of the Old West by Logan Hawkes (Paperback - May 13, 2011)
$12.95 $11.66