5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for all Educators!
Published 23 months ago by amy stuckey

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
It gives some good examples of close reading.
Published 4 months ago by Patonna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for all Educators!, January 14, 2013
amy stuckey (north aurora, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Close Reading of Informational Texts: Assessment-Driven Instruction in Grades 3-8 (Paperback)
The release of Sunday Cummins' book, Close Reading of Informational Text, is very timely. It seems everyone in the literacy field is talking about close reading; What is it? What does it look like in the classroom? How do I teach that way? How will my students respond? Sunday's book answers those questions and more through first hand experiences in real classrooms. As educators we look for resources that provide practical, explicit suggestions we can use immediately. Ms Cummins' book delivers! This is the kind of professional resource I will reference regularly to support me in my planning & instruction.
Classroom teachers, Reading Specialists, Administrators all will benefit greatly from reading this book. Sunday's book gets to the heart of true PLC work in literacy; content, assessment, differentiation, something few books out there offer classroom teachers.
Sunday Cummins, thank you for providing the field of education with a resource that is quickly becoming the new "go to" book in schools around the US!
I, along with all the other educators out there, eagerly await another book from you soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, January 11, 2013
I have read three chapters in this book so far and it is amazing. Sunday Cummins writes in a way that keeps the reader engaged and allows the reader to follow along with clear cut examples, charts, and tables. This is a must read for all educators in elementary or middle school. I find the information in this book useful as we as educators are implementing the new Common Core State Standards. This book topic of close reading in directly related to the new ELA stanndards. The book has many teacher resources and ideas on implementation. It is a must read. Way to go Sunday Cummins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, January 20, 2013
The best resource I have ever read and used for teaching how to read informational text. This book in combination with the book Guided Highlighted Reading has really changed the way I teach reading of nonfiction text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Professional Text, January 13, 2013
I am a long-time admirer of Dr. Cummins' work in the field and have been eagerly awaiting her first book. As a fifth grade teacher and a reading specialist, I am a voracious reader on all topics related to literacy learning. Some books set upon my shelf and collect dust; however, Close Reading of Informational Texts will be one of those books that are like my favorite and well-worn pajamas. A few of the many facets of this exceptional book that sets it apart from others are the the collection of student work, detailed rubrics and snapshots of authentic informational texts actually tested out in real classrooms. Dr. Cummins' work with informational text stems from her day in and day out work alongside students and teachers in the classroom. This is so refreshing. Looking back at my reading specialist preparation, I wish her book had been available for my course on content area reading. After reading Dr. Cummins' book, I have added another dense layer to both my theoretical and pedagogical knowledge base that will undoubtedly make a powerful impact on my students' learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice for a Professional Book Club, January 11, 2013
I love this book! Cummins' opens up the world of "close reading" with informational text and makes it accessible. This is much more than a definition of the term. It gives focus lessons, follow-up lessons, and rich, real-life samples of student work. Especially grateful for the unique idea of providing "follow-up" lessons! They help reflect on how the lesson went and could move students to an even higher comprehension level. Common Core calls for us to teach close reading but it's a complicated topic. It's obvious this author has worked hand-in-hand with teachers to make it real and accessible. Feel like I could try things right away and that I have back-up to think about how it went. This would be a terrific choice for a school's professional book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for Common Core Implementation, July 4, 2013
I teach fifth grade and towards the start of this past year kept hearing about "close reads" and really didn't understand what the term meant. I found Sunday's book and just devoured it. I found it fascinating and she not only gives the reader a ton of information but useful strategies that could be used right away. I took one of her ideas called "Coding" and adapted it to a non-fiction article. The students were raised to a whole new level by using this strategy than if I had just told them to "read the article". I want to re-read the book this summer and have other strategies ready to use in September. Thank you Sunday for filling in the gaps of my understanding of just what close reading is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Ideas to Get You Started With Non-Fiction, May 11, 2013
C. Jones "c4jones" (South Berwick, ME, USA) - See all my reviews
The Common Core State Standards encourage elementary teachers to spend at least half of their instructional time teaching non-fiction. This is a good book to help teachers do that more effectively. The books has some particularly good lessons on helping students find the main idea of non-fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is worth your time and money!, November 6, 2013
B. Anderson (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) - See all my reviews
Hard working teachers are spend their money on their classrooms. There are a lot of common core books available that promise more than they deliver. If you are looking for a good resource to help you teach close reading of informational text, I highly recommend this book. The author explains close reading of informational text and provides lots of suggestions for implementation. My students are learning and I am loving teaching again. I also purchased Notice and Note and love that book as well for close reading of literary texts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Core Resource, October 9, 2013
Sunday Cummins was my writing professor at University of Illinois and I can safely say it was one of the few classes that we walked away feeling confident we could teach writing. I recently reconnected with my old professor and she was kind enough to send me a copy of her book, Close Reading of Informational Text. This book has been an excellent resource especially with all the buzz about Common Core and close reading. She does a great job of breaking down the purposes of close reading and explaining them with confidence. Personally I had always struggled to teach my students to synthesize, mostly because I myself didn't really understand the strategy. In her chapter about synthesizing, she uses an analogy with a picture frame to describe what synthesizing means. The lightbulb clicked for me! Now I can properly explain it to my class. This book is a great resource for any subject area teacher. Close reading can be done in any subject, as Sunday proves with examples of various texts. I also subscribe to her blog and I highly recommend teachers do that as well. She has a lot of interesting tid bits to share about close reading and the common core. She reviews common core suggested texts, which is helpful because, as busy teachers know, its nice to have a resource you trust and not have to spend a lot of time digging for something valuable. I strongly recommend this text to all teachers and if you aren't already subscribe to her blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for teachers of reading!, July 23, 2013
If you teach reading in any capacity such as classroom teachers or reading specialists or coach teachers and help support teachers in their classrooms then I highly recommend this text! It clearly defines close reading and gradually demonstrates to the teacher the how's and why's of this important skill we are asking of our students. There are specific examples of teacher modeling, student work, reflections of that work, and then use of that as formative assessment pieces to help the teachers with next steps. This book is smart, easy to read, and a great resource for me as a reading specialist in a K-5 building.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Close Reading of Informational Texts: Assessment-Driven Instruction in Grades 3-8 by Sunday Cummins PhD (Paperback - November 29, 2012)
$26.00 $24.59