Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Labor Day Savings with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Closer To The Truth
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$8.65+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 24, 2013
Cher is finally back after 12 long years. Twelve years is a long time for fans to wait for a new album, and a long time with which to harbor anticipation. Closer to the Truth is a strong effort from the biggest diva of our time, though not without its shortcomings. Still, fans should be more than satisfied with this record.

The road to releasing this album has been sketchy though. It seems Cher really wanted to go back to her rock roots for a while. The smashing success of 1998's Believe album caused a huge derailment for those plans, however. Cher became queen of the dance floor after that album, for better or worse! Following that up (not counting the independently-released not.com.mercial album), 2001's Living Proof album took Believe's title track and morphed it into an entire album. The resulted in a fun dance record, but not really the strongest album in Cher's catalog. After a long hiatus, we got the Diane Warren-penned power ballad, "You Haven't Seen The Last of Me" from the Burlesque soundtrack. Cher was set to release a full album of such material, hearkening back to Heart of Stone's sound. But then the attack of the dance club came back, as dance remixes of "Last of Me" took the scene by storm, so the album was changed to dance pop again.

But this isn't bad at all. Unlike Living Proof, the grand majority of the club bangers here sound like they were meant to be slower rock songs that were handed over to Mark Taylor to work his magic. The lyrics and melodies are much more complex, even if the backing music sounds fairly typical. And of course, none can deny the sheer presence that Cher commands on her music. That alone sets this collection apart from her modern-day competition! Highlights such as "Take It Like a Man", "Red", "Dressed to Kill" and "My Love" are as brilliantly energetic as they are beautiful. But starting with track seven, the album takes a more contemporary turn. "I Walk Alone" is a truly fantastic foot-stomper. Not dance, but not slow either, it's a great sound for Cher. After this one though, the album slows down to a handful of excellent ballads. Clearly, this is where Cher's strength lies, as she sounds 100% committed to these songs. While some may be disappointed that the album isn't 12 straight tracks of dance music, I love that we get to hear this slower side of Cher again. It's a great snippet of what she can do outside of the club. "Sirens" and "I Hope You Find It", in particular, are truly gorgeous.

My only criticisms are about two tracks in particular. The first single, "Woman's World", sounds wildly out of place even among other tracks. Paul Oakenfold, while a brilliant DJ, isn't the strongest producer and it shows. "Woman's World" sounds too remixed, and too clubby. It would sound more at home as part of a DJ set or compilation than a track on a studio album. And then sadly, there is "Lovers Forever". Don't get me wrong, I love this song as it appears on this album, but having heard the original version I can say I ache to hear Cher sing this as it was originally meant. "Lovers Forever" was given to Cher to record for the soundtrack of Interview With The Vampire in 1994. Instead, it was recorded by Shirley Eikhard. The song is an absolutely amazing gothic ballad and Cher's voice would've made it soar. And while we still get a hint of what it could've been, the dance music does take away from it. If this were given to, say, Jim Steinman to produce, it would've been downright epic.

In the end, it's just great to have Cher back. This is easily her strongest album since Heart of Stone. Listen to it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2013
Nobody but Cher could be releasing a passionate banner release some fifty years after her original album debut to such a tremendous amount of deserved fanfare, make no mistake stellar release "Closer To The Truth" finds the wild Diva in peak form, distinctive glorious passionate voice brilliantly showcased in a richly varied set of songs tailor made for the iconic legend, from many recent appearances the amazing lady looks as great as she sounds!
Out of the gate "Woman's World" is a jammin' grand slam #1 dance hit sensation making one want to get up and move, exactly what thousands of excited fans were doing in New York during recent exhilarating & eventful live morning performance, showing Cher as musically relevant today as in the sixties, seventies, eighties on through to the nineties when "Believe" became the mega-blockbuster to date of her phenomenal recording career.
"Closer To The Truth" grows fast on the lucky listener upon repeated play, filled with a diverse collection of captivating gems each having their own unique feel, soaring & passionate ultimately soul-deep inspired heart & soul vocals from Cher being among the finest of her prodigious recording career...just announced Spring 2014 tour "Dressed To Kill" is certain to be the must see sold-out event of the season! Lush orchestration magically swirling around ethereal vocal make "My Love" another winning Cher anthem in a collection filled with them, surrender to love in "Lover's Forever" then rousing foot stomping & hand clapping "I Walk Alone" has a nice edginess, all hot tracks throughout have that hit sound with strong & clear Cher vocals front & center. Majestic & magnificent "Sirens" has a sublime surreal mystical quality while "Favorite Scars" with a reggee vibe in the rocking mix is infectious.
Any collection from Cher is expected to have a spine-tingling Diva turn, holding close to finale "I Hope You Find It" is a tour-de-force stunner, digging deep Cher gives a stellar passionate performance & this wondrous soulful anthem will soar to #1 if given airplay, clearly this gorgeous gem a Miley Cyrus cover, is one of the greatest ever ballad performances from a legendary lady who always in a grand style all her own keeps on keeping on...Bravo Cher!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are legends and there is Cher! Simply put this lady keeps getting better with age and shows no signs of slowing down. Her latest CD, "Closer To The Truth", is by far my favorite album by this Diva. Really a collaboration between pop and dance styles Cher wisely chose to record songs for this album that appeals to her ardent fan base and we couldn't be happier. Her voice is strong, the songs catchy and innovative and the production first-rate.

On the first week of release "Closer To The Truth" went all the way to #3 on the all-important Billboard Album Chart signifying Cher's biggest debut sales of any of her records.

Highlights here are "Woman's World", "Take It Like a Man", the title track and "I Walk Alone".
on October 15, 2013
After Cher famously declared that "this is so farewell" during her 2003 Farewell Tour, she is back with Closer To The Truth. Filled with club bangers and haunting ballads, I believe this is one of her greatest albums ever.

Vocally, she is unbelievable scaling a new peak in songs such as Red. Pride, one of the bonus tracks would be a massive hit if it's released. It's very catchy and uplifting -

We got Pride
We own we own the night
We are we are the light
This is once in your life

And Sirens is a totally emo ballad -

When your heart is on the run
When the chains have come undone
I will always be the one
to carry you home

Cher is styled simply, using soft focus photography to create that dreamy, misty look like Believe's cover.

I strongly recommend the EU deluxe/Target edition - comes with 17 tracks. Four bonus and 2 totally fab remixes of Woman's World.

This is bloody fantastic! Welcome back CHER!
on October 21, 2013
I am a huge Cher fan and have every album and cd she ever made. This is perhaps the best yet. You get the unmistakable powerful Cher vocals in a mixture of fun dance hits and great ballads. I have the deluxe cd and am glad I got it because "I Don't Have to Sleep To Dream" is my favorite dance song on the cd. But believe me all the dance songs are high energy fun. "Dressed To Kill" is a divalicious classic. "Pride" is an anthem for the club crowd. I think "Lovers Forever" is a throwback to the 80's electronic dance mixes. The layout of the cd is genius with the pulsating beats and the beginning and the strong ballads at the end. You will definitely enjoy "I Hope You Find It" it was originally performed by someone called Miley Cyrus no one will ever remember her performance after hearing a true singer like Cher blow it out of the water! Just buy it and enjoy it all. I know you will!
on September 24, 2013
I can't say enough about this album. Cher gives us a fantastic and fresh album full of dance beats and includes some disco-influenced EDM tracks that take you back and if thats not enough, Cher throws in some of her best ballad wizardry in years.

My personal favorite track on the album is the beautiful ballad, originally performed by Nell Bryden, "Sirens," - Cher does an incredible job vocally and theres a softness and delicacy in her delivery of this song that I've never heard before from her. This song absolutely must be a single.

The stand-out dance tracks "Take It Like A Man," "Red," and "Dressed to Kill" teeter the line between current EDM and sprinkles of disco and 80's. What's interesting is that I was so excited to get this album to hear all the EDM/Dance tracks, that Cher has become known for since the "Believe" era, but I've been leaning towards the beautiful ballads that really remind me how powerful her voice is.

The second single from the album, "I Hope You Find It" also produced by Mark Taylor is another stand-out. The song was originally released by Miley Cyrus a few years back. I'm hoping radio supports this beautiful crossover track. Cher absolutely killed it. Also happy to see the magical "Haven't Seen the Last of Me" (more Mark Taylor magic from the Burlesque era) show up on this album.

Now, to be objective and not just talk about the positives, Im going to say my least favorite song on the album is, "I Don't Have to Sleep to Dream" which is thankfully only on the deluxe version and not the regular. My main gripe with the track stems from the demo sounding production work from Timbaland/J-Roc. Cher's vocals sound wonderful as does the melody while the beat sounds half-baked...best way to describe it. I think enhancing the piano sounding elements and the bass could have easily turned this into a hot track.

Some interesting tidbits - Cher worked with Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters) on "Take it Like A Man" though I can't hear him at all. Cher worked with P!nk on "Lie To Me" and "I Walk Alone" and lastly "Lovers Forever" was originally written in 1994 for the "Interview with the Vampire" soundtrack but was rejected by the films decision makers.

Here are some more of the production/writing credits for each track. I've also ordered the track from favorite to least favorite.

"Sirens" - Mark Taylor
"Woman's World" - Paul Oakenfold
"Lie to Me" - P!nk/Billy Mann
"I Don't Have to Sleep to Dream" - Timbaland/J-Roc
on October 26, 2013
I love Cher since she and Sonny were on Ed Sullivan a long time ago. Remember the first time they were on the show and she needed dental work. Amazingly, that had to be one of the first things she had done after that time. I have always loved her. It seems she can do no wrong. Love her acting, singing, and just about anything she does.
Did see her on Letterman last night and was not thrilled with her outfit. Has to be the first time.
on November 4, 2013
I love this cd, I heard one of the slower songs on Letterman, bought it the next day. I was hoping for more slower songs but there's more club type songs. They have grown on me though because of Cher's voice, which has only gotten better with time. "Do you believe in love" will always be her best club burner but this cd has some good solid bangers. If you like Cher buy it, if not buy Miley's "Bangerz" Deluxe Edition, it's hot.
on November 4, 2013
I must admit - I can take Cher or leave her for the most part. But this album is awesome - usually you buy an album and like a few songs - every son on this album is great. Worth buying!
on November 3, 2013
It's Cher, of course I loved it. Fun album, I've listened to it a lot. Didn't really need the CG, but, that'll be a gift.