5.0 out of 5 stars The Grande Dames of the Doll World!!
Published on December 27, 2010 by Wendy Bethel

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Warning!
Published 7 months ago by J Muscarella

5.0 out of 5 stars The Grande Dames of the Doll World!!, December 27, 2010
When I started making cloth dolls about 25 years ago, there wasn't much out there besides commercial patterns from the big companies. If you were lucky,you might find a pattern or two in a magazine, or maybe included with a quilt pattern. Then came elinor peace bailey, and the world of cloth dollmaking was forever changed. I first found elinor's patterns in a little quilt shop, around 15 years ago. I'd been making dolls for about twelve years by then, and suddenly I felt "THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE ME OUT THERE!!" It was truly a revelation. Through elinor's patterns and her book Mother Plays with Dolls, my eyes were opened to a whole new world of dollmaking. Soon after, someone pointed me to Barbara Willis, whose dolls are delicate and feminine where elinor's are whimsical and bold. It wasn't long before I discovered Patti Culea's dolls, which are feminine, whimsical, bright, and beautiful. I learned so much from each of these amazing artists; and if I could have had this book fifteen years ago, I would have been thrilled. I've taken a lot of classes and tried patterns from almost all the cloth doll designers out there, and these three women are right at the top. Aside from the lovely designs, there is also a wealth of info in the sections about basic dollmaking; such as what fabrics and notions to use, and how to stuff a doll properly. The face painting instructions are also worth the price, because these are three very different methods of doing faces, and having all of them in one book is absolutely amazing.

Even though I'm an advanced dollmaker, I'm still thrilled by this book. I bought it for myself, and even if I don't make the projects in it, to me it is just a wonderful summary of the gifts of three of my favorite artists of all time. And the next time I come across someone just starting out on her cloth doll journey, I'll buy a copy for her (or him!)....and then suggest the other books by these three authors. I believe this book will become a standard in every new dollmaker's library....and probably in lots of not so new ones as well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, Worthwhile Investment, November 16, 2010
Three very different cloth doll artists who also teach and know how to present information. This is well done and inspiring for both beginners and experienced doll makers if not terribly groundbreaking for those who've done patterns by these artists in the past.

Patti Culea, Barbara Willis and Elinor Peace Bailey have been doing doll patterns professionally for quite a while now so they are reliable. And kudos to EPB for improving her game, she was always a force of nature who has helped doll making become more widely popular.

To the new doll makers out there- have fun with the patterns and if you get hung-up on the faces and needle sculpting here's my advice: make several heads and specifically intend to use the first ones as "victims" and just go at it. Often just taking the pressure off yourself helps. And don't throw away the practice pieces... paint over them or make a little mask for them or experiment with paper clay over cloth. :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Warning!, June 9, 2014
J Muscarella (Chesapeake, Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloth Doll Workshop: From the Beginning and Beyond with Doll Masters elinor peace bailey, Patti Medaris Culea, and Barbara Willis (Kindle Edition)
First let me clarify that the contents of the book are great. My three stars on not because of the book but because of the KINDLE version. It is my own fault for not realizing that Kindle PC does not have an option to print, so if you want or need to print out the patterns in the book. You can't. If you're purchasing the book just for reading, then I highly recommend it. But if you intended to print the patterns and actually make these dolls, I suggest you buy the paper version of the book instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars cloth doll workshop, March 10, 2011
I needed to know how to sew the doll together. It did that and it had some good tips. Had good faces to copy. The clothers were good, and the was more than one style of doll and clothes. If you wanted a fancy doll or just a plain one there were ideas...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, November 7, 2010
This book is a "must have" for those wanting to learn about cloth doll making. Elinor, Barbara and Patti have come up with the basics in cloth doll making. Each author takes through a basic doll making "class". But, each author adds a twist to their basic pattern showing how you can make the doll pattern more dimensional and more of your style.
All in all, this is the best book out there for basic doll making.

4.0 out of 5 stars learn the basics, November 22, 2010
Three extraordinary doll makers join forces to present masterclasses. Each has her own approach that they share with the reader. This is a good resource for the beginner. Basic materials and techniques are covered along with pattens. Learn how to expand upon the basics and how to personalize your dolls. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the love of dolls!, March 19, 2011
judy Donnelly (NORTH FORT MYERS, FL, US) - See all my reviews
Love this book!!! It is informative, very down to earth instructions, and an all round must have book for those who love to create dolls or the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to make dolls, February 8, 2014
These three doll makers are known for their work. Each has a different style which is presented well in this book. If you like funky then elinor is for you. Sophisticated is for Barbara with Patti being in between both. The first real doll I made was one of Patti's. I still have her. I made the flat wall doll that Barbara has in the book. She was fun to make. this is great way to get into doll making.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doll making experience., October 6, 2012
Its a good book but not for the kindle since you can't download the patterns which is one of the highlights of the book. It does have lots of ideas to make one. I just had trouble with it on the kindle. I had a doll almost done from another book so this was used for a reference. I suggest that the book should not be offered as a kindle download for the reason above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute ideas, March 10, 2013
I was looking for something a little different. This book gives step by step instructions on how to recreate the dolls featured. I prefer to create my own dolls and was looking more for general instructions to improve my skills.