1,512 Reviews

1,639 of 1,658 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The devil is in the settings
I have to admit I had some serious reservations purchasing this NAS based upon the sheer number of bad reviews. I read through them and there seemed to be a common thread to several of the problems.
1. Changes IP address
2. Loses connection / goes to sleep
3. To Slow
Published 11 months ago by ecburr

1.0 out of 5 stars An Exercise in Frustration – You Have Been Warned
Published 11 months ago by Electronics Lover

1,639 of 1,658 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The devil is in the settings, January 27, 2014
This review is from: WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage (Personal Computers)
1. Changes IP address
2. Loses connection / goes to sleep
3. To Slow
Knowing, I hoped :-), what I was getting into. I purchased the NAS. First let me say the NAS is dead quiet and this is good because it sits 2 feet away from me!

When I read the IP address was changing I figured it was a DHCP issue. It would make sense to assign a static IP to the NAS, however Western Digital chose not to do that so... During the initial setup the first screen tells you what the assigned IP is - WRITE IT DOWN - after you get through the setup and before you try and access the NAS you are going to need a few pieces of info.
1. The IP address for the NAS (for me it was (192.168.1.60)
2. Subnet info 255.255.255.0
3. Gateway info 192.168.1.1
4. DNS info (whatever your ISP DNS numbers are)

Now log into the NAS and look at the upper right of the screen, it should say "settings" with a gear symbol, click it. Now look for the tab that says "Network" and click on it. Change from DHCP to STATIC and fill in the blanks with the info you collected earlier and you're done, now the NAS won't lose its IP address.

(IMPORTANT) ****The new NAS IP**** be sure to choose an IP address that is above or below your pool of DHCP IP addresses to avoid conflicts****

Loses connection is what I think might be the NAS going into sleep mode...Sleep mode seemed counterintuitive to me for a NAS. So to eliminate this I again went into settings and under the "General" tab I found energy saver and turned off "drive sleep" Checking my electric meter, it hasn't exploded from the massive power draw (seriously kidding) this thing must have to place it in "energy saver" mode so I guess I am ok...

To slow was a wild card for me and it could have been a bunch of things, my bet was the antivirus software and for me I was spot on. Moving 20 gig's, wirelessly, took 2 hours with the antivirus on...turned it off and it cut that time in half.

I hope this is of some help to someone out there!.

Overall I really like the NAS which is why I gave it 4 stars, it would have been 5 but for some poor choices on the manufactures end with default settings, IMO
It has performed without issue so far and I will update this thread if there are any changes.

1,372 of 1,425 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A very solid network attached storage device with remote access capabilities, October 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 9:55 Mins

UPDATE with benchmarks is at the bottom of the review:

Western Digital has put together a very nice network attached storage (NAS) device with the My Cloud. It was very easy to set up for both local and remote access.

A few things to know up front:

1. This device cannot be plugged into a computer for use.
2. It needs a hard wired ethernet connection - it cannot connect to your network wirelessly.

The My Cloud probably has one of the best web-based configuration interfaces I've seen. In fact it's possible on most home routers to find the device just by pointing a browser at wdmycloud.local - you don't even need to dig around in your router settings to find its IP address. Once in it's very easy to configure folders and users.

Also of note is that the Macs, Windows PCs, and even smart TVs in the house could immediately find and access the drive through their native interfaces. If you don't plan on using the drive remotely there is absolutely no software installation necessary. I do not recommend installing the configuration software Western Digital will suggest you use as it will stay resident on your computer and just links to the web based control panel anyhow.

The drive offers the ability to restrict access by user, including hiding folders from those who do not have access and assigning read only access to certain users.

The drive successfully streamed content I originally recorded on my iPhone to a Samsung television. The TV is DLNA compatible and was able to find the My Cloud drive on the network automatically. It popped up in my source list when I pressed the remote control button - a nice surprise. The drive is able to serve media files fast enough to play back Blu Ray quality movies on compatible devices.

Remote access works well. When using the drive when away from the local network special software will need to be installed on a Mac or PC to access files. Opening files through the software will copy the file to the local computer for editing. Once saved the file will then sync back to the My Cloud drive.

The drive can also be accessed from iOS and Android devices through a free app. The app performs similar to other cloud storage services, with the ability to upload and download photos and videos from any location.

Another great feature is the onboard USB port for connecting external hard drives. It supports just about every file format out there, including Mac Journaled HFS (the standard OS X file format), as well as Windows NTFS and FAT and FAT32. The external drive can be accessed through the MyCloud as a folder, and can also be used to back up the contents of the MyCloud disk through a special imaging function.

Overall this is an impressive NAS device that is packed with features and very easy to get up and running.

UPDATE --

I ran some benchmarks on the drive using the BlackMagic Design video drive benchmarking tool. I found that it does pretty well, writing about 26-28 megabytes (not megabits) per second and reading at approximately 63-65 megabytes per second when connected via gigabit. Your mileage of course may vary but the speeds aren't too shabby for a network attached drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few things..., October 12, 2013
I purchased this drive as soon as I read about it online. After WD fumbled with the ordering I received the WD My Cloud 2TB and set it up. First off, it is not as easy as the literature conveys but there are a few things you can do that will help and a few considerations you may want to take into account before you purchase.

1) Install the the companion app WD SmartWare that come with the drive. This will allow you to map the "shares" (folders) to your computer and interact with your files like you are used to.
2) Yes, the standard program that installs requires you to "drag and drop" your files into the cloud storage however, remember that this is an extra layer of security. Again, mapping the most used folders (or "shares") will make things much easier.
3) Make sure you install this to your internet through a gigabit router (or switch). This will improve your speed and prevent bottlenecks. If you have a recent model of a wifi router it is likely that it will support fast transfers (check the owner's manual).

I have used the smartphone and tablet apps that are free and I have not had any issues. I have also used the software on a PC and a Mac without problems. The unit seems responsive and (so far) reliable. I had a 1TB My Passport lying around and I plugged it into the back of the My Cloud and it was immediately found. The manual indicates that with a powered external USB hub you can attach up to 7 USB storage devices.

Despite the few extra steps needed to install companion software, the device is enjoyable and very responsive. I like knowing where my files are and having access to them with multiple different devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check These Setting BEFORE You Complain and/or Call Tech Support, December 20, 2013
I am very tech savvy. I am CompTia Certified in A+, Network + and Security+

I recently purchased the 4TB MyCloud and initially found the connections to the device (from my laptop computer) to be very slow. I went into the "Services" section of my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and checked 4 settings...I found the problem!

You need to make sure that the following 4 settings are set to "Automatic" and that they are (even) started:

1. DHCP Client
2. NET TCP Port Sharing Service
3. SSDP Discovery
4. UPnP Device Host

For the technically challenged, the way that you access the above settings is to:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. From the menu, left click on Manage
3. Click on Services and Applications
4. Click on Services

The services are listed in alphabetical order, so they are easy to find.

You will be amazed at how much faster your MyCloud works!

FYI: I have a 3TB external drive connected to the MyCloud device, so that my unit can perform backups of itself each night. They're called "SafePoints" and can be used to restore your Cloud device, in the event of a failure.

Lastly, the WD Concierge Service, which comes with the unit, is based in the Carribean. (for initial issues like setup etc) If a problem can not be resolved, you will be transferred to WD Level 2 support, based in California.

5.0 out of 5 stars All good so far, and you CAN connect it directly to your PC, November 7, 2013
I bought this hard drive after reading a review of it online. I needed to consolidate and back up files that I had accumulated on multiple computers, and a network-attached hard drive with backup capabilities sounded like something that would really help me get organized. I found the WD My Cloud very easy to set up, and I've already moved most of my data to it. I've attached another external drive to its USB port and scheduled automatic backups ("checkpoints") of the My Cloud. You can do this from your browser without installing any software.

I moved my iTunes music files to the My Cloud and iTunes works fine; in fact, the music doesn't cut out momentarily the way it sometimes used to when my library was on a local hard drive. I also have a Squeezebox Touch which plays music from my iTunes library. That was a little tricky to set up with the My Cloud, but it's working fine now as well. (Basically the trick is that in Logitech Media Server you have to enter the location of your library beginning with the IP address of your My Cloud instead the letter for a mapped drive--for example, you would enter something like \\192.168.1.5\Share\iTunes Media and not Z:\iTunes Media).

A few reviewers here have pointed out that you can't connect this drive directly to a computer. While it's true that you can't do this via USB, you can with an Ethernet cable. (I haven't had a reason to try this myself. Also, the manual only gives instructions for Windows on this feature, so I don't know if it also works on Macs.)

I like that you can set the My Cloud to notify you by e-mail about problems, firmware updates, the completion of backups, network connectivity problems, etc.

Based on my experience so far I would recommend this product. I'll update this review if I encounter any problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars An Exercise in Frustration – You Have Been Warned, January 31, 2014
Electronics Lover (Heartland in the USA) - See all my reviews
Read all the 1 star reviews. They are not exaggerating. Unbelievably slow and buggy. My 286 computer in 1988 seemed faster than this thing. I have had it since December 25 2013 ( a little over 5 weeks now). I can’t begin to tell you how many wasted hours I have spent trying to make this thing work as advertised. I am computer knowledgeable enough to build and troubleshoot my own computers and home network. To give the My Cloud the benefit of the doubt regarding speed, I have upgraded my network to a new Asus gigabit router, a gigabit switch (but the cloud goes directly to the router), a gigabit Ethernet connection in a fast computer, and cat 6 cables all around. This is about a hardline setup, not wireless.

Yes I did the static address thing. Yes I turned off various settings (DLNA, etc...), Yes I updated to the newest firmware release today ( 03.03.02-165). It was only from this firmware release that I was finally able to access it from my smartphone. But that seems like the only thing it did. It takes 2-3 minutes, sometimes longer for the cloud dashboard on my computer to even come up. I try to transfer files (wired) and I usually only get between 700k and 3meg speeds – again this is a full gigabit network.

Note to WD: If you reply to this, DO NOT repeat all the steps, network config, your mileage may vary, etc… that you have replied to other reviewers. I have gone through the WD online forum regarding this product and like most everybody else, nothing people are trying that ”workaround” the issues are working. Yes I had my house checked for excessive pulsating neutrons (sarcasm). I have done all that and so have many others and it makes no difference. And you know it too.

As I have a lot of personal info on this drive I will not return it now and risk my data being accessed. I’m stuck with a $170 paperweight. I have always relied on WD products and only had one fail on me in 25 years. This is a serious disappointment that WD would release a product this crippled. There are other cloud solutions out there that although they start at almost 2x the price, at least they work as advertised. If this product should start to magically operate just as all the advertising talking points say it is supposed to do, I will be happy to update this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, October 9, 2013
Mine is the 2TB version bought from Amazon, main desktop computer running Windows 7 64 bit.

The WD product description says "Get up and running in minutes". In my case "minutes" was close to an hour. Minor hitches, error messages (e.g "driver not found"), Internet connection lost requiring router reboots. Making reasonable guesses, repeating some steps, and muddling through - all ended well. NAS for one computer through a Windows Explorer interface working just like you'd want.

My only performance measure was to move 22 GB of data from my system drive onto the cloud drive - took 80 minutes. Maybe, not so bad, since my computer does have 100Mbit Ethernet.

Since the first session, I've added the interface software to a laptop with a Wi-Fi connection. Installed in maybe 10 minutes. Works fine. I've used the connection app on my Android phone. No installation problems. Works fine.

So far so good. It's up and running at an OK speed.

** October 10, 2013 **
Another performance measure - same 22 GB of data (about 18,000 files) written to the NAS from Windows 8 64 bit on a system with Gigabyte Ethernet - 20 minutes; same data read from NAS to the same system - 14 minutes. More like what I had hoped for.

I've used the connection from my iPad. No installation problems. Works fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but not Mac OS ready yet, December 8, 2013
Judging from many of the glowing online reviews from "respected" websites, I thought the WD MyCloud would be an excellent, easy to use solution for not only backing up my Mac but for easily accessing my files remotely. Instead, my experience with the device was very different and not good at all.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with OS X Mavericks 10.9 with a 960 GB SSD. I'm using an ASUS router with a wired gigabit Ethernet connection, so my problems can't be blamed on WiFi.

Installation and setup was super quick and easy - as easy as advertised. The MyCloud remote login and access was easy to do, easy to set up and worked well. The MyCloud looks great and is extremely quiet. Files read and write at blazing fast speeds across my network!

I'm giving this device a one-star, poor rating because it fails in a very big way for the main reason I bought it -- backing up my Mac across the network. Despite "Time Machine support," the file system of the MyCloud is not a native Mac OS format and doesn't seamlessly work with Mac OS backups.

In the two weeks I've had the MyCloud, my Time Machine archives have gotten "corrupted". When backing up to MyCloud, Time Machine has returned this error twice, causing me to lose my backups and start over:

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “NAS”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you." This seems to be a problem with Macs and third-party network drives like this one.

The MyCloud firmware is the latest version. I restored the drive to factory condition after the latest incident. It took less than a day to see this error again. I've never had problems like this backing up my Mac to a USB or Firewire drive.

A standard drag and drop Finder copy of large numbers of files also created weird behavior on the drive -- files showing as "in use" when they are not, other files that show up and quickly disappear repeatedly in Finder.

Sure, there are "fixes" and hacks that may let me repair and use the archive for a while, but that negates the benefits, time-savings, reliability, and ease of use of a plug-and-play system that is advertised to simply work on a Mac. The WD MyCloud doesn't yet.

The bottom line is, for this Mac user, the WD MyCloud is a high-maintenance, unreliable, frustrating device. I don't recommend this device if you use Mac OS. It's a lot of trouble and you will lose data. I really wanted to like this, but it's getting boxed back up and getting returned this week.

=M=

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know. Power consumption and overall review, November 24, 2013
First let me start with power tech specs. Before I purchased this unit, I searched everywhere about power consumption of this uni, and no reviewers have mentioned it anywhere. Drum roll.... here are the results.

Idle (Enerysaver mode - Harddrive Spun down) - 5w
Idle (Harddrive not spun down) - 9w
Active (In use) - 11w

So with an $0.10/kWh price, this unit will run you approximately $5-10 a year to operate. Which is pretty good, but I didnt know what to expect in this department since it was advertised anywhere.

The good:
Fast
- 40-50 MB/s transferring large files using a computer connected it gigabit ethernet
- 20-30 MB/s using computer connected wireless N (due to maxing out router speed)
My wireless N is rated 300 megabits per second, with 8 bits in 1 byte, that is a theoretical 37.5 MB/s max, throw in a 20-30% decrease from theoretical max due to overhead and the router is maxed out, not the my cloud. This is good since the mycloud is not the bottle neck. Newer wireless N routers offer 600 megabits per second, so that can take care of the problem. The newest wireless AC standard also offers something crazy like 1300 megabits per second. So blame the router for slower speeds.
-10-20 MB/s transferring many small files due to overhead,
-For anyone getting poor performance, make sure you have router that does gigabit over wired and has at least 300 megabits wireless N.

Small, sleek, shiney.

Power efficient

The bad.
-When the mycoud is comming out of standby, windows will say cannot access the network share. Luckily I know to try once again. This is okay for me since I understand it that it is firing up, but other users may be confused. Blame microsoft for this one I guess.

-Renaming or moving files will sometimes return an error. Error 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occured. I do not know if I should blame microsoft or western digital for this one. I am using windows 8 and 8.1.

-The windows dialog box lets you Try again, skip, or cancel. What happens is that rename or move succeeds but this error pops up for whatever reason. Skip/Cancel will close the error, but I wish this could be fixed somehow.

-Worst of all, this hard drive is relatively noisy. I've heard louder harddrives, but I expect all of mine to be silent. This only bothers me for the longevity or the drive. I believe silent units are better designed. So I really hope they didnt cheap out on the drive. 4TB is a lot of space, and everyone should get a backup for a volume of this size.

The desired.

-Scheduled power off/on functionality. This drive doesnt have to running from 3am-5pm Monday-Friday in my situation. This could save 50% of the units power consumption. Save resources, save money. Its not a lot of money, but I do not like being inefficient.

-Horizontal orientation functionality. This vertical method makes it easy for this unit to tip over. I do not want to risk lose data if it can be avoided.

-Power switch. You can turn off the unit / reboot it from the web interface. But if you turn it off, you have to unplug and replug the power adapter since it has no buttons.

-Access to a replaceable with a standard file system. If the circuity fails on this unit, it would be nice to plug the harddrive into a computer. That, or just upgrade the harddrive to an 8TB or higher when they come out.

That covers everything. I hope WD reads some of the suggestion. Its a great product. I would recommend to others. - 1 star for the noisy harddrive. To me that indicates poor design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, but pay attention to simple directions!, November 26, 2013
TH Park (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
I am not extremely tech-savvy, nor do I know a lot about networking computers, etc. But this was just flat out easy. You plug in the hard drive, connect to the internet, and you're pretty much done. Set passwords, add users, create shared folders. I plugged in another hard drive to the USB port in the back, and after about half a day, I saw all the information available to me. VERY impressed at how simple this was.

If you pay attention to the directions that came with the drive, along with going through the tutorials available on the site, you'll be just fine. A lot of people are complaining about how it just fails or it doesn't connect. You need to understand that you're accessing the drive essentially remotely, so don't click around like a mad hatter expecting a response as if you're working on your computer. Just follow directions people!

The big thing that might trouble some people is that the default has the hard drive to go into sleep mode automatically. That may delay it sometimes when you're trying to access the drive, so I would suggest to turn sleep mode off if you don't mind the energy usage.

WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage