Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: AssortedChange

on June 23, 2013
I have been crocheting probably for 45 years, and with the arthritis in my hands, My Susan Bates Hooks, were starting to hurt them even worse. Like the other crocheters the Boye Hooks to me are horrible hooks, and I have been using my Susan Bates Hooks forever. I remember getting my first set when they had a factory in Chester Ct. I came upon the Clover Hooks, and I fell in love with them. They are easy on the palm of your hands, and make crocheting fun again. You can hold your tension with ease and not have to rip back because the tension became to loose or tight. Way to go Clover, Thank You... Sorry Susan I feel like I lost my best friends.. :( Also want to add before you all go wasting your money, the Addi Swing hooks are garbage. They are bent in a non traditional way, they feel like you are trying to crochet with a spoon. Not comfortable at all, and just make my hand hurt even worse. I wish there was a way we could try these hooks before purchasing them, but I do hope this review is most helpful and if you are planning to upgrade your hooks, stick with the clover hooks, you will definitley enjoy them.
4646 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2013
Before trying these hooks, I was a diehard Susan Bates/inline fan. No offense to anyone -- I know there are a lot of Boye users out there -- but I just can't stand Boye/tapered hooks. I almost gave up trying to learn to crochet because of Boye hooks.

I do a LOT of amigurumi and my hands get sore from making tight sts. I think the animals turn out better, and hold the stuffing better, when using a smaller hook and making tight sts. I usually use an E or an F for ww yarn such as Red Heart Super Saver, just to give you an idea, and those little metal handles start hurting after awhile. I have avoided making Barbie clothes with crochet thread because of this.

I tried the bamboo handled Susan Bates and they were okay, but still not what I was looking for. Too much metal before the bamboo. I tried those foam cushion things, but didn't care for them. I even tried baking poly clay handles onto a couple of my hooks, but my hands still hurt.

The Clover Amour hooks are the tapered style, so I was very reluctant to try them. I saw them in the new craft store in town, but dismissed them due to the tapered throat. No way. I'm an inline girl... however... after being "commissioned" by my daughter to make 6 tiny kittens as last minute party favors, my aching hands begged me to try them anyway.

And I love them!

The actual hook/head/point portion isn't as bulbous and... fat?... as a Boye hook. Because of this, I think it's easier to insert the hook into the sts. It isn't so pointy that it splits the yarn, though. The groove isn't as shallow as a Boye (but not as deep as a SB), which means I'm not as likely to drop a loop. The metal is super smooth; yarn glides easily. There isn't too much metal before the cushion, which was the problem with the SB bamboo, so the Amour works nicely with how I hold my hook. The cushioned portion itself is super dreamy. I really, really love how it feels when I'm crocheting.

My hands don't hurt and my sts are nice and tight. Although my SB hooks are all vintage and made in the US, I have to admit that I don't miss them one bit. All in all, a well-deserved 5-star rating for these hooks.

Oh, and I got all of the kittens done in time!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2013
Let me tell you a little story. I have a whole set of another brand's comfort grip hooks and I thought they were fantastic.
Once, I was on a trip, and needed a hook size I hadn't packed, so I went to the nearest craft store only to be disappointed that they didn't have my brand. I bought a Armour hook, thinking that it had to be better than skipping my evening crochet/relaxation time. The Armour hook was amazing. It slid through stitches like a hot knife through butter, and old fashioned wool simply glided over the hook like it was silk. I was doing a no-brainier piece, so I was mostly watching TV while crocheting at a leisurely pace, without paying much attention to my progress. When the news finished, I was shocked to see how much was done. I had crocheted at least as fast as I do when I'm actually focused on my work.

The only problem was that when I got home, my once-prized hook set felt inferior. I could feel the yarn dragging along the hook in a way I'd never noticed before and I realized that the friction made my movements less fluid than they were with the Armour hook. When I switched back to the Armour hook, there was a noticeable speed improvement, because the stutter in my rhythm had disappeared. I've never been a speed demon, but it was exciting to suddenly be able to get more done without more effort. I felt like I'd found a magic hook. The only thing that made sense was to buy the whole set.

So, here's the actual review:
These hooks will spoil you for any others. They are extremely comfortable and stable in a pencil-like grip and Clover's hook shape is much easier to work with than that of other brands. They offer an incredibly smooth crochet experience, making even tricky fibers a breeze to stitch. With these hooks, I'm able to crochet more quickly and with less hand fatigue than experience has taught me to expect. In short, I just love them.

I wish I could get a few larger than 6mm. I recently did a quickie project with chunky yarn, and after a brief go with the recommended hook size (in plastic), I decided that I'd rather use my 6mm Armour and just compensate for the gauge discrepancy with extra stitches. That I would prefer to do extra work just so I could use one of these hooks, pretty much shows how much I love Armour.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
I'm really turning into a fan of the Clover products. The first time I bought a hook was truly at random while in a Japanese yarn store--it was one of the 'soft touch' variety. It was very early in my crochet resurgence and I knew I liked it. Since then I've also used the basic aluminums, some bamboos and even a lighted plastic hook. Whenever the Clover was the right size, that is the hook I opted to use.

Recently I went through a phase of trying to keep many little projects going while traveling, working and moving and of course managed to never have the right hook when I wanted it. I finally decided to do what has worked for me in other aspects of my life, and that is to buy something so brightly colored it would be harder to lose (of course I'm ignoring the fact that some of my hooks are already brightly colored, but really I wanted a treat too). I found this set, saw Clover was the manufacturer and decided to give them a try.

I do love the brightness factor, but I also appreciate the high quality construction. But even more importantly, I found the handles to be just the right contour--thicker for holding, with a thumb rest and angled so the other fingers are also in a neutral feeling position. Very comfortable, more so than the soft touch in my hands. Also, the material is dense, but has just a teensy bit of give sensation, sort of rubberized instead of just a hard plastic which also increases the comfort factor.

I'm a 'knife' holder when I crochet and I handed some to a friend who is a 'pencil'. She liked them too, though her tastes run to a pointier tip. I like the tip, works very well with the bulky and worsted weights and yarn types I tend to favor.

Definitely my new favorite set of hooks.

Highly Recommended.

Just a note to be aware of when shopping Amazon, these are (currently) sold by 'partner vendors'. When I bought mine they were a tad more expensive than the price listed at the time I'm writing the review (I spent about fifty total) but mine were sold by a vendor that uses the Amazon warehouses as their shelf space. In other words it had the 'fulfilled by Amazon' tag which means super saver and Prime shipping applies. The current vendor has a lower price and free shipping, but it is important to look closely at the vendor's terms before buying. Also, do your due diligence with the vendors--check feedback. I'ver RARELY had any issues, but it does pay to check.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I have been crocheting for 55+ years and teaching crochet for over thirty---and these are the FINEST hooks I have ever used. Hooray for clover!!! Each stitch is like a little massage for my hand. The best I could imagine.
on February 8, 2014
My boyfriend bought these for me for Valentine's Day after a pattern tester suggested these to me. As someone who was developing numbness in my fingers from over 15 years of crocheting and many hours spent recently crocheting, this was an amazing set. Not only does the set fit more comfortable for my knife grip, but the end of the needle no longer digs into my hand! It is longer than my hand and makes crocheting much more comfortable. I no longer get fatigued crocheting with a small hook and thin yarn like I used to. I used to have Boye hooks and these are much sharper, more comfortable, and absolutely beautiful.

This is also great since I crochet amigurumi and it comes with the B-hook and up, meaning I can crochet amigurumi without having to take breaks to give my poor palm a rest!

My Ravelry name is AilaReza if anyone wants to add me!
review image review image
on January 27, 2015
I love these hooks!! The hooks are a very smooth satin finish aluminum. The handles have the Letter and MM size on them and fell like a silicone rubber and are very comfortable to hold. I use a pen case to store the hooks and accessories (Lihit Lab Teffa pen case) and it works very well.
review image
on May 19, 2013
I have used several kinds of hooks. Ones with wood, some with plastic and ones with the regular handles of steele or aluminum.

These have by far been the most comfortable. I hold my hook like a pencil, so it is hard to find a hook that has a handle that is comfortable. These hooks do not move in your hand, yet the hook itself glides smoothly through the yarn. I wish they would make the thread hooks like this.

If you are a crocheter, or know one, this is a great set to give yourself or them for a gift.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2013 these hooks. People tend to hold their crochet hooks differently when crocheting so anything other than the standard aluminum Bates or Boyes hooks could either be great or not so great. The Armour Hook for me is great for 2 reasons. The yarns (even cheaper yarn) slides on and off the hook easier. An actual noticeable difference. Because of the way I hold my hook my thumb actually rests on the small thumb rest (at least that is what I think it is; it's a flat part of the rubber handle). I also find myself splitting the yarn less as well. I have tried all types of hooks recently and one Armour Hook had me instantly buy this set. My Bates and Boyes I have used for 30 plus years are being put away. They served me well for many years, but these Armour hooks are awesome in my opinion. I recommend to anyone, though, they try individual hooks until they find what works best for them before they buy a set.
on June 29, 2013