Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on March 20, 2010
These are my favorite crochet hooks that I've used so far. They were suggested in the book Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!. At first i bought just a G hook at a local craft store and then decided the get the whole set. My main suggestion for these hooks though is that they come in different colors for each size. I couple of times i picked up the F hook and started working on something that i had previously worked with a G hook. I've also wished that they were a bit longer at times, but that might be because i have big hands.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
So... I started crochet with the cheap plastic hooks several years ago and then took a break. A few months ago I started became addicted to making amigurumi (small crochet animals, originating in Japan). On one of the last few projects I worked on I ended up breaking the head off of my hook. So I began to hunt for something better - something stronger. I tried the Boye Aluminum Crochet Hook Set, Sizes D-K (Sizes D-K). I took them home and tried them out on a current project - the one that had the broken hook, and I had such a difficult time finding a rhythm - these hooks were not polished enough and kept catching on the yarn.
I then tried the Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook Set in Pouch Sizes F, G, H, I, J, K in the Pouch (Sizes F-K) - same thing - they also kept catching on the yarn.

I spoke to a store employee at a local craft store and she said that I should try wood - bamboo - both wood and plastic hooks are warmer than the aluminum and glide better. She was correct. I did like the bamboo hooks, but I wanted something with a handle. I also bought a Tulip Etimo Crochet Hook - which, though aluminum, glided so smoothly through my yarn I was EXTREMELY pleased by it, but I wanted a set.

At this time I also tried the Clover Takumi Getaway Soft Touch Crochet Hooks Gift Set - and it too was amazing. I believe this is because the quality of the aluminum and the craftsmanship is so much better than the Boye and Susan Bates ones. Clover is simply amazing when it comes to quality and thought when creating a product. The handles are comfortable and easy to grip without putting too much strain on your hands - allowing you to crochet for longer - though it is still smart to periodically stretch your hands and wrists and take short breaks. The crochet hooks glide oh-so-smoothly through any type of yarn, allowing me to build up a solid rhythm and not have to pause every few seconds to try and get the hook through the loop because it kept catching on the yarn. The shape of the head is more oval, allowing it to catch the yarn very easily. The amazing thing is that these are also made of aluminum and yet there is a great difference between the Japanese Clover brand crochet hooks and those made by Susan Bates or Boye. I should add that these ARE MADE IN JAPAN and not China or somewhere else. I also bought the Clover Knitting Stitch Counter Mini Kacha-Kacha so I can crochet in meetings at work or in some of our training classes and not worry about counting and re-counting rows.

Conclusion: If you're beyond the plastic beginner stage - invest in some quality hooks like the Clover Takumi Getaway Soft Touch Crochet Hook Gift Set. The great thing about this set is that it comes with Hooks C(2.75mm), D(3.25mm), E(3.5mm), F(3.75mm), G(4.0mm), H(5.0mm), I(5.5mm) and J(6.0mm) - which are great to start out with or provide a range of sizes to use for various projects.

If you're planning on teaching family or friends to crochet, consider this set as a gift or recommendation.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2010
My right hand is paralyzed and I can use these hooks! I have been using them for 7 years. They are awesome and I really hope they are never discontinued!
on March 23, 2011
I love the soft touch hooks. They are a bit pricy but they worth the bucks. I don't have any hand problem but I find regular hooks uncomfortable after crocheting longer than 1 hour so I started looking for hooks with handles and I settled on those.
Before I got them I thought all hooks in the set will have the same handle size but it turned out that as the hook size gets bigger the handle gets thicker; It doesn't mean that some hooks are more comfortable than the others as even the smallest C hook feels comfortable for me (I have small hands and I use the knife hold). Compared to my other hooks, these are the shortest which is not a problem for me but I think people with large hands might find it a bit too short so I strongly recommend you try them at any crafts store before buying them here. The case, though cheaply made, is a nice extra. The hooks themselves are sturdy and yarn slides easily on them. I expect them to last long.
review image
on August 27, 2010
Received these as a gift from my boyfriend, and am very pleased! I had wanted this set for a while, and was drawn to the larger handles since small crochet hooks are hard on your hands if you work for hours at a time.

Pros:
-Larger handles make is easier to work for longer periods of time
-Convenient carry case--small enough to fit inside of my standard sized messenger bag, but large enough to find easily at the bottom. Also keeps sizes neatly laid out and easy to find. I like the flap over top to keep the hooks inside the case, as well.
-Clearly marked US and mm sizes (no UK, but that's to be expected)

Cons:
-I do wish the handles were more round--the flattened handles make for easy storage, but do not fit ideally in one's hand.
-Ugly fabric for the case (this is nitpicky and just my opinion, but I thought I'd throw it in)

Overall, I love this set. The larger handles are much kinder to my hands and wrists, though the shape is not perfectly ideal. If you are worried about this, I recommend going to your local craft or yarn store to take a look at the handle shape first. Though, it has not significantly bothered me yet.
on August 1, 2011
I loved these hooks when I first got them, however I have started an afghan with the barvarian stitch and I can not do the stitch with this hook, the part from the handle to the tip of the hook is too short, I need it to hold 10 stitches of worsted weight yarn, and that is not easy to do. I had to pull out my old standby Boye hooks. For any other type of crochet these hooks are really great, there is something about the shape of the actual hook that make is easier for me to crochet. I have tried many other kinds of hooks, and none have a hook that is a nice as these.
on August 23, 2012
I knit and crochet alot and over the years have accumulated dozens of needles and hooks of every type. I particularly like the heavy composites from England (Bernat-Aero) but decided to try something new for a large crochet project I am starting.

I read all the product reviews and settled on this set from Clover. Amazon has an incredible price for this set and it was here literally overnight, even though I didn't pay for one day delivery.

The hooks themselves are beautiful. They are smooth and have a soft copper glow with a comfortable thick grip-style handle. They do glide through the yarn, as others have pointed out. I cannot imagine why anyone needs color-coded crochet hooks. If you do a lot of needlework, you recognize the tip as the size you need, and of course, they are clearly stamped on the handle.

They are not too short for me - I do have small hands. When doing afghan stitch work, I use a longer needle. For everything else, these are fine and comfortable. I hold my crochet hook like a pencil or pen, so this type of hook is good for that holding position.

The case is handy - not unusual, lots of sets come with similar cases. It is compact and closes with velcro - better than the older cases of this type that often roll, wrap and tie.

I did not give this 5 stars because it only has hooks up to size J and because the case itself, not the hooks, does have phthalates in it. This is not a problem unless a baby, child, or animal chews on the case and thereby ingests this plastic chemical. Phthalates are banned in California and a few other states.

That said, I am very glad I bought these. I will keep the case away from pets and babies and enjoy using the hooks for future projects. I got the information on the chemical that led to Clover listing a warning on the wrapper from Clover itself - they were very helpful and went out of their way to provide me with information. That speaks well of the company and their products.

I will likely give these sets as gifts.
on October 30, 2010
I bought a size I hook today for a project I'm working on for my daughter for Christmas. I have carpel tunnel in my right hand and spent several hours awake with the pain last night, most likely from crocheting. The new hook was much easier to handle and my hand didn't hurt at all while using it. With fingers crossed, I am going to order the set of 8 for $35 - I paid $11 for one!
on September 22, 2015
I've had this set of hooks for a couple of years now, as well as several other sets of nice hooks. For some reason, these are the ones I keep picking up and consistently using. And, I'm not alone, as I see many tutorials and videos in which these hooks are being used professionally.

The handles are somewhat flat, and are a moderately hard tactile plastic, making the shape good for pencil and knife grip users. The throat/head/shanks are not a shiny slick metal, they're matte finished, but still smoothly glide against the yarn, but with the very finest, tiniest almost imperceptible grip. The shape of the head is slightly tapered, but not quite as tapered as Boye hooks.

The case is decent, and rolls up, securing to itself with a little patch of velcro. The flap above the hook pockets folds over the hooks to keep them in place, and to keep them from getting scratched. I wish they would have made the flap a teensy bit longer on the left side, as my C hook keeps escaping almost every time I stow my hooks. It would have been nice to have an extra pocket for some little scissors. Sometimes I stick my tiny crane scissors in with my C hook to help keep it wedged in place. I keep a yarn needle in the case by piercing the fabric through with it behind the inside velcro. I've been doing this the whole time I've owned it, and the fabric is very sturdy and forgiving (no hole in the fabric yet).

I highly recommend this set. It's a good deal, too, considering the price of individual hooks. My granddaughter lost my J hook the the replacement at HL was almost $8.

Also, as a word of caution, don't lay your set on top of your yarn/work-in-progress, as the velcro will stick to and pull your yarn making a fuzzy spot.
review image
on August 25, 2010
These hooks are a pain in my hand!!! If you don't use the pencil hold (aka the dainty hold) for your hooks, these NEED to be avoided!! Not only are the "handles" too short, they are also too FLAT!!! If you have carpal tunnel or hand fatigue, these hooks will offer you no comfort whatsoever.
1313 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse