5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tool for Marking Fabric

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality
Published on February 23, 2012 by L90

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tool for Marking Fabric, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
I purchased these marking pencils years ago and was looking for another set. I'm so glad I found them on Amazon.com. These are the best pencils for marking fabric. They can be used on just about any fabric and I've never had a problem with removal; they wash away easily with water. I've tried other marking pencils, water-soluable pens, chalk, etc., but these are the absolute best marking tools. I purchased two sets this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, March 31, 2011
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
This is a great product. I have used it for several years and could no longer buy it at my usual source. I was so pleased to find it at Amazon. It shows on all fabrics and easily removes. My only complaint--my puppy loves it and will chew one up if I drop it--a little expensive for a puppy snack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clover Water Soluble Pencils, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
These pens work great for marking quilts for quilting. I have tried other brands and these are the best I've tried so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget, February 25, 2012
Gianna "shopping expert" (Dominican Republic, yes, the caribbean....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
easy to use, very visible and even more easy to "erased". the different colors makes it apt for any type and color fabric you might use.
Take into consideration that, after all, IT IS chalk, so it will wear out VERY fast, but considering the price and Amazon price, i'm OK with it.
I don't use a sharpener, I use an x-acto knife and the tip comes out great every time and zero breakage so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
Other reviewers had good luck with these, but I unfortunately did not. I found it far inferior to another water-soluble pencil I had. These are extremely soft and impossible to get a point on. You end up drawing a fat line, which is not very helpful. But worse than that was the sharpening; every time I did, no matter how carefully or how fat I left the point, it snapped. I marked 40 or so 4x4 squares and used up an entire pencil just because the tips kept snapping off. I didn't think the marks left were clear either. On the whole, I much prefer other brands I've tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Marking, October 15, 2012
DJC (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
I purchased the Clover pencil because the dress that I was altering had a rose colored lace overlay. I was using a white pencil and it wasn't marking on the lace and I was concerned that a marker wouldn't come out. Spot washing wasn't an option. The Clover pencil was exactly what I needed. The color transfers to the fabric with a light touch and easily brushes off if you make a mistake. It's a soft pencil so it doesn't last as long as the other pencils on the market, but it's far more reliable for marking. I decided to use it to mark some jeans for hemming and it works just as welll on a heavy fabric. I did find that handling the jeans combined with the heavier fabric made the marks brush off before I finished sewing. The next time I'll be more careful or just use the marker.
The Clover pencil is now a staple in my sewing cabinet. Too bad it took so long to discover it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item for sewing, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
When making a cloth item such as a blouse or a skirt you very often have to mark where you may need to move a dart or where to hem it.

These little pencils make a mark that easily comes off, I do not need to wash it, sometimes it comes of with just a rub.
This just makes dressmaking or crafting just a little bit easier to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars great pencils, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
I do recommend it. Very suitable for markings on fabric. Contains three colours and all gives clear markings on cloth and are water soluble.

5.0 out of 5 stars my wife loves these, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
I purchased these for my wife. She loves the ease of cleaning the marks from her quilts, as well as how gentle the pencils are on the fabric. The sharpened tip tends to break easily, but this is a benefit considering some materials can snag easily. Don't forget to purchase a sharpener for these (any small inexpensive pencil sharpener will work).

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the fuss?, September 27, 2012
M.C-S. (Okinawa, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA (Kitchen)
I have used these pens for a year now, and frankly, they are quite worthless. Here's a quick sum up:

Pros

- work relatively well on regular cotton fabric

Cons

- break easily when sharpened
- they wear very quickly when marking fabric; expect to sharpen them every few pattern pieces that you trace/mark
- because of the softness of the tip, they don't stay sharp for long, thus making VERY broad lines
- they are not ideal to use with a ruler, see previous point
- do not work on stretch fabric as you have to push down fairly hard to mark the fabric, which in turn stretches/distorts the fabric

While the idea is great, I get much better results using a regular pencil on non-stretch fabric and a pencil costs 1/10 of these.

Clover Water Soluble Pencil Assortment, 3EA
$7.75 $5.39
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.