4.0 out of 5 stars Funny concept, great voice
There are a number of places that are laugh out loud funny in this offbeat first novel. I, too, found this book because I loved Geek Love so much. Indeed, it does not stand up to that book for depth of plot or character, but it is an entertaining read. As others have said, this feels like it started life as a short story and probably would work best in that format, or...
Published on June 11, 2008 by Martha Atlanta

2.0 out of 5 stars Playing The Fool
Monica Drake is a decent writer. She plays with the language the way clowns play with pratfalls and cream-filled pastries. There's no doubting that among the pages of "Clown Girl" is hiding an author with enough charm and wit to pen a book brimming with both humor and heart.

This, however, is not that book.

The story follows young Nita (you can...
Published on December 26, 2007 by Mark Eremite

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Beautiful Read, September 8, 2009
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
I read Clown Girl in about two days flat, forgoing sleep and sunshine just to finish the novel. It's dark, twisted, and beautiful with an unwavering voice and a lot of heart. Monica Drake really shines in her debut novel about a clown trying to be an artist in a world that only seems to pay those who sell out to the corporate world. Baloneytown is often a scary place full of drugs, prostitution, and those trying to make a buck at the expense of others. Being true to the art in such a place is certainly a test for Sniffles. And watching her try is a heartbreaking and enjoyable ride to take.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Monica Drake!, May 14, 2008
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
This is a wonderful mix of sad desperation and intentional unintentional hilarity. Monica Drake's debut novel has captured my heart. I never thought I would find myself relating to a pyro-clown who just wants to feel loved and accepted. I recommend this book to anyone who loves the sardonic comedy of Chuck Palahniuk, Kurt Vonnegut, Hunter S. Thompson, or William S. Burroughs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit my funny bone, but it just hurt, October 7, 2008
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
"Finish the first fifty pages!," I kept saying. "You got through 100; that's a good portion." "Chuck, where are the laughs?" "Who didn't see this coming from a mile away." These were just a few of various comments I huffed and puffed as I made my way through this perfect example of forced dialouge and 'jokes.' I was all too thankful to finally read that...*spoiler alert*...they (I'll leave it as they) broke up. Take it from me, the ending serves as the perfect analogy to anyone thinking of picking up this book. This book is like a relationship: it's better to end on a good note than find out all its faults and decide only way too late that it wasn't the right fit for you. Of course, this comes after much self loathing and questioning of one's ethics and integrity. Avoid having to come up with all this relationship stuff and never pick up the book. Never. That being said, it's a fairly light read when you can actually start the page turning, but you will be forced to endure some very large pockets of very weak and boring, boring clown fiction. 3/5 stars is being nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Me Smile, July 18, 2007
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
As I understand it,a book focused on a clown should make you laugh(with tears mixed in).I did and so will you.I compare it to A Confederacy of Dunces.Monica's debut stands on it's own,w/out Chuck Palahniuk's endorsement.Bada Boom!

3.0 out of 5 stars This book was good, February 13, 2014
I liked the characters, I liked how she described things and the over all ending had a deeper meaning. Personally I have no idea how this girl survives tho. She refuses to eat, shower, drink and change her clothes. it's a very descriptive novel and it was so descriptive of a nitty gritty life style I often wanted to shower after finishing a few chapters. Good read! Dirty girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars very strange, January 1, 2013
This story was very strange and very engaging. I don't really know how to describe this other than maybe *something* like "rom-com for societal misfits." I heard Kristin Wiig optioned this and I can't wait to see what she can do with it, but I hope it doesn't get watered down for the "straights" of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, clever and quirky., April 16, 2012
So yes, this book is about a young woman that is a clown. Although I am not a clown, I found that I could relate to much of the content. Monica Drake was a classmate of Chuck Palahniuk, so I found that much of her writing seems influenced by him (or vice versa).

4.0 out of 5 stars Insert Clown Pun Here, February 12, 2008
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
Crazy is as crazy does, and Nita is about 2 bananas short of a bunch. Sniffles has just miscarried her and her worthless boyfriend's baby and it sends her down into a manic/depressive spiral that makes Britney Spears look like a model citizen. Convinced that she has a heart condition, Sniffles starts popping whatever pills she can get her hands on. Desperate to get money, she joins up with two other clowns and does some less than good and wholesome clown activities. The action feels very slapsticky, which was the goal, I think, which I thought was funny, but I could see others not quite being into it. The rubber chicken, the "Balloon Tying for Christ," the prop gun and pendulous breasts all play into that same vibe that she's a bit of a klutz at life and this stuff just happens. While this isn't as dark as Pahlaniuk's normal fair (for example, no one dies or is eaten), it's still pretty dark humor and very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Clown Girl..., January 2, 2008
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
...the book, yeah. But I'm talking about the character. She's sick and cute and unsure of herself and I fell in love with her. She's like a sick little lost puppy you just want to take home and nurse back to health. This book is so endearing without being at all sentimental. Awesome read from a great new voice in literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drake takes the cake, May 20, 2008
This review is from: Clown Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
Clown Girl is an excellent book that needs to be made into a movie sometime soon. Maybe done by Harmony Korine or Sophia Copeland?
Monica paints a great picture of a story here. Nearly every chapter can be visualized with each turn of the page. A great talent to have. You can't help but wonder what Nita looks like, because for some odd reason, she's such an easy character to fall in love with. Admit it, you want to help her out and give her a hug!
A Sybil of a story, with constant laughs, cries, and screams of frustration. This story pretty much covers it all, and does it well.
I really enjoyed this book, and highly recommend it to anyone with an imagination and the desire to delve into a dark, chaotic life other than their own. I look forward to the future works of Monica Drake.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Clown Girl: A Novel
Clown Girl: A Novel by Monica Drake (Paperback - January 4, 2007)
$15.95 $13.13
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies