Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Coach K Beyond Basketball - A Review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2006 7:48:19 PM PST
T says:
As a Duke Grad (Fuqua '90) and a huge Coach K fan, I waited with great anticipation to read another one of Coach K's wonderful books. When his book was announced I pre-ordered it on Amazon and was visibly happy when it finally arrived.

I saved the reading the book for a week or two until I had a long airline flight. My flight to the West Coast finally arrived, I got upgraded to first class and all I had to do was enjoy a glass of wine and read the book. Everything was working according to plan. I opened the book, took a sip of wine and began reading at the foreword.

Boy, was I under whelmed. Sure it was a good book with nice anecdotes about some of the players and teams I knew and loved. Sure, there was the insider view of what goes on behind the curtain on both a professional and personal level. Sure, the title holds true and the lessons of Coach K go far behind basketball.

The problem was that it was BORING. There is no flow. I could not string together the chapters and get on a roil. The book takes one word at a time, defines its, has a narrative and expository delineation of the definition and then a nice story. This template repeats itself over and over and over. Scores big points for parallel structure but none for holding the reader's attention. With no over arching theme, other than the title, it was as if I was reading a random set of stories rather than a series of tiles that combine to form a unified mosaic.

This book pales in comparison to Coach YK's other books and to his in-person presentations. While it is not bad (and is definitely better than Dean Smith's "Leading with the Nose") it hardly lives up to the bar K has set with this other books or with any other domain of his life.

I hate to say it but the template structure Coach K has chosen relegates this book to the top of the pile of bathroom reading but towards the bottom for good reading or inspirational work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success
Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success by Mike Krzyzewski (Hardcover - October 10, 2006)
4.8 out of 5 stars (47)