Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on April 21, 2008
For amateur "weekend warrior" coaches such as myself this is a topic that is far to often barely touched on if talked about at all. Telling kids to concentrate, focus and be mentally tough without teaching it like any other skill is like giving them a bat with no instruction and telling them to hit. Some will pick it up better than others due to their own make-up but all can get much better with a coach teaching them. The mental game can be taught as a skill the same as any physical skill we teach them.

This book is one that has the authentic "been-there-done-that" feel to it. It's well organized with great real world examples and has multiple lists at the end of each topic on how to make our athletes aware of the mental game and how to practice getting better at it.

This is a book you will read and re-read if you're truly interested in being the best coach you can be. It's one of those books where you can just open to any page and pick up a great idea or tip.
on September 12, 2003
Harvey Dorfman is a no-BS kind of coach and his latest book is a great tool for coaches, teachers, managers, or anyone who wishes to get the edge. As a former basketball coach at various levels, I wish this book was available 15 years ago because it would have saved me a lot of trouble and mistakes!
Coach Dorfman covers three vital areas in the book: The Coach as Leader, Communicator, and Teacher; Impact Terms for Coaches, and Impact Terms for Athletes. He provides real life examples from professional, college, and high school coaches and athletes that are easy to relate to.
on December 26, 2013
I am a coach and look into more way to assist my athletes in reaching their sports performance goals. The mental aspect of the game is huge. A coach can be smart and hard working, however, if they don't help the mental aspect of their athletes or if their athletes don't trust them its all for nothing. This books gives real life examples about mental coaching that are very helpful for all coaches.
on June 20, 2013
It had great points but the book seemed to be dull and somewhat repetitive. The book sounds like a long drawn out story with out any of the parts of story that make it fun to read. I think that it could have been written differently while using the same information and that could have made all the difference.
on July 14, 2015
Excellent coaching book! I learned a lot from this book and love to keep it with me when I'm in season to reference back to it and I have taken quotes from it that I read to my players occasionally. It's a book that every coach should read!
on April 22, 2015
I can't say enough about this book. I've read tons of books my whole life. This one has something for EVERYONE - not simply for the sport minded. Seriously buy it, read it, apply it and learn some life lessons!
on January 3, 2014
I'm a golf coach to athletes of all levels, junior to pro. I have found HA Dorfman's Coaching the Mental Game and The Mental ABC's of Pitching to be 2 of the best GOLF mental game books I have ever read. Every page has something immediately useful for my coaching clients.
on December 16, 2014
Lots of good info in this one. This is the third Dorfman book that I've read . This one was tough to get through. Not sure if it's because a lot of the material was in other books of his or because of how it was broken up into sections. Perhaps if this was the first Dorfman book I read, I'd give 5 stars like I did with The Mental ABCs of Pitching. Either way, worth the purchase.
on April 1, 2013
As a golf coach at the local High School, I wanted to learn more about the process of motivating young athletes to do their best on the course. This book delivers that and more. It should be required reading for all coaches. This book is not a read once, got it kind of book. It is a reference that needs to be re-read over and over again to keep the coach grounded and applying the principles and techniques that lead to better coaching. As a coach, I will be more attentive to my athletes needs, what motivates them, and how to approach each one of them to get their best performance. An added benefit, I am learning to be a better father to my sons, and a better weekend athlete on the golf course. You cannot lose reading this book.
on September 29, 2013
This book will teach you about what the true essence of mental toughness is all about... connecting to inner self. Using meditation, visualization and self-talk, you can enhance your skills to the next level in any sport of your choice. Thanks to the authors for provide us with tools we can use to elevate up the stair case to glory!