4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headlamp
The Coast HL7 headlamp is a great headlamp. I've listed to pros and cons (which are minor) below:

PROS
It's a bright 196 lumens, bright enough for most any application I can think of.
The spot mode gives a nearly pure white circle.
The dimming function is infinitely adjustable from 3 lumens to 196 lumens.
The lamp can be adjusted to four...
Published on May 23, 2012 by K. Polzin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light/bad headband
Published on May 26, 2012 by L. A. Kane

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headlamp, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Coast HL7 Focusing Headlamp, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)

PROS
The spot mode gives a nearly pure white circle.
The dimming function is infinitely adjustable from 3 lumens to 196 lumens.
The lamp can be adjusted to four different angles, and it stays where you put it.

CONS (you can decide if any are important to you)
The head band is tight on me at the longest setting. If you have a large head, it might be too tight.
Focusing mechanism is hard to turn. If you plan to switch from spot to flood a lot, it could get annoying.
It comes with no instruction manual, nor is there one on the Coast website.

There are a few misstatements in other reviews. This headlamp uses three (not two) AAA batteries, and it produces 196 (not 195) lumens.

Note: Coast's literature says their LED lights are designed in the USA, but they are not made there. The headlamp says "Made in China."

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly inferior to the LED lenser H7, but a good lamp nontheless., November 26, 2011
In this review I will point out the differences between the HL7 and the LED lenser H7. Both are great headlamps, but the LED lenser is better overall. I'll refer to the LED lenser H7 and "LED Lenser," and to the Coast HL7 as the "HL7."

I broke my LED lenser H7 (it was my fault), and this Coast HL7 headlamp was available at a local store so I bought it as a replacement. I've only had it for less than a day, and although it is essentially a LED lenser H7 (both are made by Coast) there are a couple major features that I really miss about the LED lenser H7:

1. The Swiveling Mechanism - On the LED lenser the lamp swivels downward smoothly and continuously. On the LED lenser the lamp is held in place by friction. On the HL7 there are 4 possible positions and a "click" sound is generated by plastic-plastic movements upon switching between positions. The HL7 lamp is held in place by plastic parts that rub together as you are clicking. I use the downward swivel every time I use the lamp and I feel that the plastic parts that hold the lamp in place will not last very long. Even if the plastic is very high quality and proves to be extremely durable the design on the LED Lenser is much easier to manipulate, and much more functional. I think the swiveling mechanism is the HL7's worst feature.

2. The Focusing Mechanism - The LED Lenser focusing mechanism consists of a sliding switch under the lamp. The LED Lenser focusing switch is not perfect in my opinion because when the light is set to the flood setting (which I use the most) the gasket protecting the LED becomes visible (this undoubtedly reduces the environmental sealing). An exposed gasket is not a problem with the HL7, but the LED Lenser's focusing mechanism is functionally superior to that of the HL7. On the HL7 the black rubber part that forms a ring around is rotated to focus the beam. With the LED Lenser I could place my index finger on the top of the lamp and use to brace my thumb as my thumb moves the switch. With the HL7 I use four fingers (all but my pinky) to grip the rubber ring and twist the focusing mechanism (it works like an SLR zoom lens). Because all four fingers are in contact with the focusing mechanism I can't use my index finger to absorb the torque applied by my thumb (like I could with the LED Lenser). This is bad because of two things: 1) The torque is transferred to the entire forehead assembly and to the headband and is ultimately absorbed by my head causing irritation, discomfort, and a change in exact positioning of the headlamp on my head. 2) To comfortably rotate the focusing ring I place my hand in front of the lamp causing my hand to illuminate with blinding brightness and shade the objects/path in front of me for a second or two. Focusing can be done with two fingers without obstructing the lamp, but it's not easy like on the LED Lenser, I'd rather just use 4 fingers.

There are a couple of things I like better on the HL7, but these features are much less important than the two previously described:

1. The Headband and Chord - On the HL7 headband forms a sheath that completely conceals more than half of the chord. The chord under the sheath is in a permanent zig-zag shape for elasticity. On the LED lenser the plain (not zig-zagged) chord is held to the headband by a few clips that you sorta need to create your own slack-giving configuration with.

2. The Power Switch - The power switch on the LED Lenser is a small button about 1/4inch in diameter. The power switch on the HL7 is a large rubberized button that comfortably matches the size and contour of any one of my fingers.

Like the LED Lenser H7 the Coast HL7...

(pros:)
- is bright
- has LED Lenser's/Coast's focusing lens technology (my main reason for buying these headlamps and LED Lenser flashlights)
- produces a clean flood beam (I won't comment on the spot beam, because I feel the LED Lenser was more concentrated but I don't have a LED Lenser H7 to compare spot beams right now).
- has a nice variable dimming feature down to about 2-3 lumens.
- has a soft headband (compared to energizer headlamps)

(cons:)
- Lacks controlled power supply and the luminosity decreases with battery charge. Coast/LED Lenser seems to be catching on with this technology with the new LED Lenser H14.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light/bad headband, May 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own several LED headlamps. They're tremendously useful for working on a vehicle, changing a tire, cleaning out a crawlspace, or doing anything else in a dark place where you need both hands and can't easily prop a regular flashlight to illuminate your work. Unfortunately while this one has a strong, fully adjustable light, it's also heavy, awkward, and uncomfortable and sweaty to wear for any length of time. Unlike other models I own, it only has a headband strap, not an over-the-head band to help secure it in place and balance the weight. The neoprene band has a decent flex fit, but needs a lining for comfort and cooling, particularly in moderate to warm weather. The beam adjustment is on the battery pack, with an on/off switch on the light, an unusual but viable arrangement. I'd give the light itself 5 stars, it's very clear and long-lasting, but the setup is so uncomfortable that knocks the overall rating back to just three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little headlamp, May 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Coast HL7 Focusing 196 Lumen LED Headlamp is a good value for the money. It's no $400 +, 350 lumen, multiple LED, waterproof extravaganza, but in the sub-fifty dollar range, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

The lamp is lightweight and is packaged in an easy to open, solid cardboard box. It comes with a handy, soft nylon carrying pouch with a simple Velcro closure, that has a loop to fit on your belt. Additionally it comes with four clips, ostensibly to attach it to a helmet. Mine did not come with an instruction manual, but it seems straightforward enough.

The HL7 boasts 195 lumens and throws a beam to 109 meters. That's far beyond the 70 to 100 maximum lumens for similar headlamps in this price range. There is a lever on the battery pack that can adjust the light output from 3 lumens to the full 196 lumens. Additionally, the beam of the HL7 can be focused by turning the thick ring around the central light. Even at the highest power, the focus is good enough to diffuse the light so there is limited glare at close range and concentrate the light enough at a distance. There is also a hinge at the bottom of the lamp to aim the lamp without moving your head. And the build quality appears excellent.

The light is connected to a standard elastic headband. Unlike higher range models, there is no third strap to keep the light more secure. Given the fact that the lamp is so lightweight (even with the batteries included it's only 4.8 ounces) and meant for light duty, I don't think that this is a disadvantage. Like some of the higher end models, though, the cord from the battery pack is integrated within the strap and not held on by an external hook. This prevents tangling and the cord getting snagged on something while your working. The lamp itself is water resistant, which means that it will tolerate splashing, but not submersion in water. It is also impact resistant.

The HL7 runs on three, standard AAA batteries. It has a great battery life, rated to last 76 hours, 30 minutes at a 76 lumen setting and 5 hours 45 minutes at its 196 lumen setting.

So what can't this little lamp do? It can't blast out at 350 lumens. It doesn't have rechargeable lithium ion batteries. There are no side LEDs for close up work. It doesn't have a feature that it jumps into power-save mode when the batteries are running low. But in this price range with this kind of solid build, it would be hard to argue that any of this matters. For light duty spelunking to camping to working around the house, the HL7 is an excellent value for the money. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Runners, September 17, 2012
I run in the darkness of early morning, so a reliable headlamp is an essential piece of equipment. Before you spend twice as much on a fancy headlamp, consider the Coast HL5. It's extremely bright, but more importantly simple to use. The on/off switch does ONLY that, turns it on and off. No blinking, dimming, red mode, blinking red mode, three different brightness settings -- no, just on and off. When it's 20 degrees outside and you're wearing bulky gloves, you appreciate that sort of simplicity. On or off.

It will stand up very well to rain and cold and do a great job of lighting your way -- not to mention getting the attention of oncoming cars. Don't waste your money on features you don't need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bright, October 20, 2013
I already own Coast's HL7 headlamp and I love it for everyday use, but decided that I needed something brighter for riding my bike after dark. This meant either the HL27 or the HL8, which are fairly close in terms of lumen output. The HL8 is bulkier and heavier, but has a 70% longer beam distance and several times the battery life, so I decided to go with that. As far as I could find, the HL8 is currently the most powerful headlamp available from any company in terms of lumens.

The HL8 is available in both clam-pack and gift box packaging. I received the gift box version. Included were 4 AA batteries (already installed in the battery pack), clips for attaching the light to a hardhat, and an extension cord for the battery pack that allows you to remove the pack from the headband and clip it to your belt or place it in a pocket to reduce the weight on your head. I found the light to be quite comfortable to wear, even with the battery pack attached. I didn't mind the extra weight, but as mentioned above you can relocate it if you prefer.

Instructions are not included, but the light is so simple to operate that you don't really need them. To turn the light on or off, press the button in the middle of the side knob. Turn the side knob to adjust the brightness. Turn the metal barrel at the front of the light to adjust from flood to spot (this requires two hands to perform as it's fairly stiff). Tilt the light up or down to adjust the angle (can be done with one hand, but much easier with two).

This light is very bright, much brighter than my HL7. Even at the lowest setting, it is brighter than the highest setting on many lights you find in stores. Unlike the HL7, which allows you to adjust the brightness of the light continuously, the HL8 has three distinct brightness settings. Strangely, however, the brightness knob doesn't click to these settings. Instead, it rotates smoothly, often resulting in skipping over the middle setting if you turn it too fast and going directly from high to low. Also, the light turns off completely at the midway points between brightness settings. I'll probably never bother with the middle setting anyway, so I just switch it quickly from high to low to avoid these problems.

Although the angle of the light is adjustable, there are only four possible positions. I would have liked either more positions or the ability to adjust the angle continuously. One of the settings does put the center spot exactly where I'm looking when on foot, but it's aimed a little low when bent over the handlebars on my bike, and the next setting is too high. As a result, I have to tilt my head back a little or ride upright to get the light where I want it. It's a little annoying, but I guess I can live with it.

Overall, I'm happy with this light, but the issues mentioned above prevent me from giving it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, what a light, March 14, 2012
this is an unreal light. the adjustable beam and brightness is great. Lights up the path in front of you. You can walk and see great with the wide beam. the light is so bright that you can conserve battery and turn it way down and still see fine. the focused beam on high is better that most flashlights and because it's on your head it points where you are looking and is hands free. I really like this light.

1.0 out of 5 stars Coast HL8 Headlamp, November 12, 2013
I've enjoyed 3 different light products from Coast and thought they were fantastic until the HL8 finally was available. The two biggest problems I have with my HL8 Headlamp is the 3 position switch for 3 power levels is not reliable. The rotating switch is not like the previous models that had a variable output but is very loosely indexed with 3 positions you have to noodle around to hit the right position. My switch only has 2 positions working after using a little bit in the last 2 months.

The other problem is the light focusing ring on the front of the lamp is so stiff you need 2 hands to adjust or you will twist the lamp off your head. My seller finally responded saying you can't lube it and the manufacturer has not responded to my emails after a month and counting. I would not buy this lamp until the manufacture makes changes to the focusing ring and the 2 power setting is precise and reliable.

Lastly the manufacture website president contact page does not work stating all the required fields are not completed when they are actually. I tried to go through the presidents contact when the normal channels failed.

5.0 out of 5 stars great light, March 28, 2012
Bought this light a few weeks ago to do some work in the attic. Decided to try it out tonight for an evening run. The light sat very comfortably on my head and produced plenty of light to guide my way. Having this kind of light power will certainly allow me to do runs that I always had to reserve for the day time. I'm thinking about buying a couple more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome light, July 23, 2014
Ok, the HL8. Another toy I bought for work. Working the train yard at night, to say it's dark is something of an understatement. I bought this to replace my Brinkmann headlight. I think a match flame was brighter than it was. I have a Coast PX45 that I've had for over 4 years now, knew and like the brand so decided on getting the HL8.

As with the PX45, I have to say I am not disappointed. There are, I found, three light settings with this light: low, medium and high. Battery run time (I bought Sanyo Eneloop just for my Px45 and HL8) on high gets me through about 2 day run times before needing to recharge. On medium it lasts about 3.5 days, and on low I can get almost two weeks out them. The beam focus on wide lights up at an angle of about 20 feet to the right and left of center, which offers an awesome peripheral sight, even when on low. With the high, tight-focused beam, you can easily spot the rivets on the bridge going over the rail yard, 100 feet above you.

The four hardhat clips it comes with fastens the light securely to the hardhat, allowing no movement of the light when stooping, bending, or turning quickly. My previous Brinkmann I could feel flopping around on my hardhat and would constantly have to reposition it. This light stays where I want, without any movement, and has no need to be repositioned every time I bend to couple an air hose.

Now the bad. Because I work on trains, I don't use the battery pack extension cord because that's one more thing to get caught up on parts of the rail cars. So I keep the battery pack on the back of the light, as the picture shows. This makes the light a bit heavy on your head. As well, because it does have a bit of length to the light, it has a habbit of banging against some of the parts of the rail cars. So using this light in tight spaces, you really need to be carefull of your surrounding areas so you don't smack the light.

With the batteries, because this light is "high-power", battery usage will become a problem if you use standard batteries. I can't speak for anything other than Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries so I'll say, being as the Eneloop are made for high usage equipment and are rechargable, I have yet to buy any batteries other than the eight AA's I have. After the third recharge, the rice of the batteries has more than offset the cost of buying standard ones.

All in all, very pleased yet again with another Coast light. They continue to prove to me the value of the company and its product. A repeat customer for sure.

Coast HL7 Focusing Headlamp, Black