4.0 out of 5 stars Great but..
Published on November 29, 2009 by MM

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting the same colors as the picture
I've seen these around forever and I really wanted one for a while now. But when I got it I was pretty disappointed because my palette is not the same as pictured as all! Some of the colors are repeats. I really wanted a black eyeshadow and my palette did not come with one. I am really sad about that.

But the colors that are included are pretty nice and well...
Published on February 10, 2010 by Bob Cob

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but.., November 29, 2009
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
I was hesitating to buy this palette for few weeks. I liked the colors but I was afraid of the quality due to the low price. I finally bought it and was suspicious about number 1 ingredient talc as it makes eyeshadows, powders etc chalky. Here's the full list of the ingredients: mica, mineral oil, kaolin, titanium dioxide, magnesium sterate, isopropyl palimtate, lanolin, methylparaben, propylparaben, BHT. May contain :mica and titanium dioxide, iron oxides, manganese violet, utramarine blue, chrome oxide greens, hydrated chrome oxide greens, FD&C red no.40 Al lake, FD&C Yellow no. 5 Al lake, FD&C blue no.1 Al lake. Made in China.
The whole palette is very light and portable. It was shipped the next day via USPS Priority Mail, wrapped carefully in a lot of bubble plastic. I received it in a perfect condition. When I opened palette I was positively surprised-the colors are more vivid than on the picture. I used fingers and applied few colors on my hand and they looked awesome, very bright. Than I used my brushes (not those 2 included but professional ones) and unfortunately eyeshadows were very chalky (the chalkiest I ever tried), basically the whole application looked like I was using colored flour and the colors didn't transfer in full. I was so disappointed. I liked the colors though and didn't want to give up and next day I applied some colors on eyelids with my fingers, and that was a brilliant idea-no chalky mess at all! Colors so strong like Makeup Forever or MAC eyeshadows. I blended at the end and the colors lasted all day, they actually stained my fingers a bit. So they are very pigmented and easy to blend. If they would be chalky even with the fingers they would go back with no question.
I always use primer so there is no crease and eyeshadows can stick better to the surface.
I took 1 star for this talc, also mineral oil is used in cheap cosmetics, but the price, fast and secure shipping plus great pigmentation easily made 4 stars.

UPDATE: both included applicators work great, and application is not chalky, but they are not meant to blend, so blending brush will be handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star palette, February 26, 2010
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
So I also hesitated to buy this because I had never heard of the brand and the price was WAY too good.
But I gave in and don't regret it AT ALL!
It was received quickly, very padded, no damage at all.
The colors are extremely vibrant and VERY pigmented,and a few are glittery. BE WARNED the colors are more pigmented than they look in the picture, i'm not the kind to wear some of the colors in it since I did not know just HOW pigmented they were. BUT that does not take from anything from the quality itself, the actual case and applicators aren't the best but it's very portable and functions. That's ALL that matters, and you probably HAVE applicators and or brushes laying around anyway. I know somebody commented that these are very chalky but honestly it's not as bad as she/he made it seem at all! :)
i'm a dog groomer so finding an eyeshadow that can stand up to moisture and eye rubbing...well it doesn't really exist unless you can fork over big bucks. BEING a dog groomer I cannot. Therefore this palette went above and beyond, did not crease. even when I didn't use primer,it outlasted my other shadows, and still looked amazing after 7 hours of washing and grooming pooches. This collection of colors is gorgeous and blend well! I would recommend these to anyone, and I actually plan on getting the flashier colors for my best friend!
I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and this was completely worth my money. I'll be ordering more shades from them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Product...though I doubt anyone will use all 88 shades., July 25, 2010
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
There are two common complaints about this palette, and I would like to explain how I solved them during my purchasing experience of with this product. The first complaint is that the eyeshadow (because it contains talc) is too chalky and difficult to apply. This problem is easily solved by changing the method by which you apply the eyeshadow. Before you begin, thoroughly clean your eyes, removing any hints of makeup or any oil that is on your lids. Both of these factors affect how smoothly the eyeshadow goes on. When your eyes are clean, it is important to apply an eyeshadow primer. I use either Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion (about $18), or L'Oreal De-Crease Eyeshadow Base ($7-$10). Not only does the primer help the shadow go on evenly, but it holds it onto your lids and prevents those terrible creases that you get by the middle of the day. Next, to apply the eyeshadow, you must use a synthetic brush--not a regular eyeshadow applicator. If you try to put on the shadow using the awful brushes that are included in the palette (my reason for deducting one star from the rating), you aren't going to get anything but a massive headache and a colorful mess all over your face. If you follow these steps, you should have a beautiful eye color. The other complaint is that there is not enough eyeshadow in each of the little trays. Once again, a typical eyeshadow applicator is not recommended with the product. Not only do we tend to dig too deeply and too roughly into the tray when we use an eyeshadow applicator, but they can lead to excess product on your face. If you use an eyeshadow brush, you should get even coverage, and since the brushes tend to pick up just enough product, it will make your shadow last longer. I only had two complaints about this palette. I normally use a great deal of the colors included in the palette, most often the black and various shades of brown, grey, purple, white,tan, and peach. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a use for the greens, blues, and bright pinks. The palette looks a bit awkward with so many used colors on the sides and the middle section completely untouched. However, because I do use so many of the colors, it saves money in the long run because I do not have to pay $5+ for each shade. Also, as I mentioned, the brushes that come with the product are terrible cardboard-esque tools that I threw into the trash immediately. If I had not already owned a set of Sigma brushes, my review would probably be a lot more critical. Before you make this purchase, you must realize that the Coastal Scents 88 Color Makeup Palette is not for everyone. These colors are very vivid, so if you are looking for shadow that is a bit more subtle, I do not advise you to buy this kit. Also, if you are someone who favors the same shade of shadow day in day out, this is not for you either. The Coastal Shades Palette is for those who love to change up their look each day. Some days, I like to do a nice smokey eye, other days I like to use the neutral shades, and some days I like to really experiment and use the brighter colors. Overall, if you love to change up your appearance and don't like wearing the same shade of eyeshadow everyday, I think you will be satisfied with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, October 28, 2009
VB (Trinidad) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
After contemplating for the longest while whether or not to purchase this palette, i finally did , and i LOVE it. No regrets on purchasing it!
Took a while to arrive (7days), but when it did it was packaged with alot of bubble wrap to ensure that the palette wasn't damaged. Upon opening the pallet i observed none of the shadows had cracked and the condition was brand new.
The colours are highly pigmented and they blend very good. All the colours are gorgeous and with 88 different colours, your imagination can run wild.
I would highly recommend this pallet to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy for the Money, September 22, 2010
Length:: 2:29 Mins

This is a video I recorded after I received my palette in the mail. Please visit [...] for more information!

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE SOLUTION FOR A BIG PROBLEM, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
A year after taking chemo, my eyelashes and eyebrows did not grow back as they were. Wearing my longtime preferred products became an immense problem as mascara and powder eyeshadow couldn't be filtered well, leaving me with itchy red and watery eyes. After a mascectomy you already feel less feminine and not being able to make up my face to feel good about myself was disheartening and depressing. My stylist recommended cream eye shadow and I told her in the past it would just run and leave creases within a few short hours and she advised me that many products have been improved and I should try some to see if they might work. Reluctantly I did so and to my amazement, they're working. I've learned to wear more of a smokey look since eyeliner and mascara are out. This product can be worn either as a powder or with a damp applicator, it becomes a smooth cream. Creams dry quickly, so give yourelf a little time to learn how to apply the cream to your intensity or preference. Within a week, I had it down and I'm feeling more like my old self. You may not have my problem, but we're all touched with a friend or family member who must face the loss of hair due to chemo treatment and this is a loving tip you can pass on to them.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting the same colors as the picture, February 10, 2010
Bob Cob (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)

But the colors that are included are pretty nice and well pigmented. I am wondering why I got shafted with a color palette that didn't match the picture. I'm curious to see if anyone else had the same problem.

I have included a picture in the customer images. I realized that the last two columns of eyeshadows are duplicates of each other. So I really got an 80 color palette instead on an 88 color palette. :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
This Product is great for those who want to experiment with different colors. Pigmentation is great; a little goes a long way. Some drawbacks are that the colors get chalky after swiped with a brush. Also, I expected the pans to be a bit bigger; they are about the size of a dime. However, for the low price, is a great steal for those that want to experiment with mattes/shimmers or bright colors, without forking out a whole lot of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN!!!, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
Ok so I got this and like others have said it was carefully wrapped and that was great the colors are amazing very bright I'm not really a shiny person but even those colors look great when blended. But it tends to burn my eye lids really bad like horrible, and I don't really have sensitive skin. I do make-up for a living and I just wanted to try this out and it burns so bad I can't even use it anymore. But if you are ruff and tuff this is great except it breaks apart really easy mine is in two pieces right now it is beyond fixing broken and i have had it about a week. if you are just looking for something cheap to do some really fun looks this is great but do not get this if your skin is even kind of sensitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget Makeup, Quality Makeup, January 2, 2011
This review is from: Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette (Misc.)
This product is absolutely fantastic. I've been struggling to make do with the colors and consistencies that I already had, but this Christmas I received the Coastal Scents 88 Color Palette and I couldn't be more overjoyed unless I was to get some MAC or Urban Decay!!!

For one, all of the little eyeshadows were received in one piece, so good quality shipping for me. However, I was actually surprised with how small the actual eyeshadow "tins" were. Almost disappointed until I started using them and realized that one or two soft swipes over the top of the eyeshadow was more than enough color. Very highly pigmented with vivid shocking colors and soft sensitive colors which is amazing because you are getting more looks and use out of it for your money. Cheap cost AND it goes a long way? Makeup Lovers on a budget rejoice!

The shadows come in a very nice little palette with two eyeshadow sponge type applicators on either side of the mirror. Haven't used those so far to be honest. The palette itself is sturdy and organized very well in my opinion and is easy enough and secure to store in your car for hasty fixes.

I really can't say enough about this product. All of it is all around fantastic for the price! Worth every penny and more and I am really excited to be a proud owner. You just have to buy one and see for yourself! You won't be let down!

Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette