4.0 out of 5 stars Not all the Hype... But Still Good

**UPDATE**3/17/13
Published 18 months ago by Stirfriedpoodle

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all the Hype... But Still Good, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I bought these brushes after hearing many people rave about them. Let me just say this is a good kit, especially the price that you pay considering what you get. You get a lot of brushes!!! You should be able to create any makeup look and make it look quite nice as well. All of the brushes are soft, so very soft. These brushes are better than pretty much anything that you'll find at stores like Ulta, Sephora, or even Walmart. (I literally tested all of their brushes lol) However, these are not high end brushes like MAC or Sigma, but they're NOT, I REPEAT NOT AT ALL low quality brushes like E.L.F.. I own Sigma brushes and these do not compare to the quality and density of Sigma. But by no means am I saying that these are bad brushes, they're quite good actually. They pick up make up well and apply quite nicely. The eye brushes are phenomenal, the face brushes- some are great, others are just okay. At $1.60 per brush, you really can't go wrong with this deal.

Main Face Brushes

Flat stippling- Okay, just okay. Very soft, but too soft and flimsy for application. Forces me to use more foundation than I would with my hands or a sponge.

Angle blush- Good. Nice and soft, but it could be denser. Picks up color well and applies just as well.

Large Round Powder/ Buffer- AWESOME!!!!!!! Great for anything, hands down!!! Never even seen a brush like this one. This brush retailer for around $17 by itself!!!

Small Powder/ Buffer - eh, I didn't like it, and it's not the softest. I'm going to buy a different powder brush.

Foundation Brush- Good quality.

THIS IS A GREAT STARTER BRUSH SET, especially if this is your first brush set. After purchasing this , you really only need to buy speciality brushes for specific things. You won't regret buying this set! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars impressed, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I never go out of my way to write any reviews, but this product really deserves it. I am a beauty consultant and i know plenty about makeup brushes, and i know quality when i see it. This is the best purchase i have made in a while, i recommend to everyone to buy this brush set, and get rid of all the other brushes you have now, thats what i did. this set literally comes with every type of brush under the sun, im a happy customer.
ps. got shipped earlier than expected which is another perk.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality brushes, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I am a makeup artist, and although I have pro memberships with several popular makeup companies, I'm not a brush snob. I was looking for new brushes for my kit for a couple of jobs I have coming up, and was allllll over the internet searching. I purposely avoided my pro sites and was just going to use them as a last resort b/c of the cost per brush. One of my makeup friends told me about Coastal Scents and when I saw them on Amazon, I had to check them out. I paid the $34.95, and couldn't be happier. I tested them on myself several days during the work week, and not only are they soft, but they haven't shed. I will update this when I wash them, but I love them so far. I appreciate that practically every makeup need is met in this set. The fan brush is huge, so it would be more appropos for dusting highlight on the body and not the face. The eye brushes are soft and not scratchy, and the same goes for the powder/blush brushes. The only downside is that the bag has a bit of an odor, and if you are sensitive to smells, that may be a problem. I believe it to be just the bag b/c I haven't had any reactions to the brushes when they're near my face. If you plan to use the bag, it may be worth airing out on the porch or patio.

I ordered two more sets of these brushes b/c I've noticed that sometimes when I order from Amazon, after I buy, the item price goes up. I was able to get that fantastic price again. I highly recommend this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I am somewhat of a brush snob, but not really. I look for brushes that perform well and are worth the price. I have owned my Bobbi Brown brushes for nearly 2 decades and have never been sorry for the investment. They still perform WELL, but know that I take care of my brushes, regardless of cost.

After seeing reviews for a variety of Coastal Scents products, including the buffing brush, I decided to throw caution into the wind and purchase the 22 pc brush set (I really didn't need all 22 brushes...seriously...I have WAY too many brushes for someone who is NOT a makeup artist).

The brushes came in a really cool brush roll. It has an interesting odor, but nothing repulsive. I am sure that it will dissapate over time. The brushes themselves have no noticable odor. As a matter of fact, my recent MAC brushes (from the Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale) had a detectable odor.

So far, the brushes I have tried have performed as well as my high-end brushes. I have not noticed any hair loss after washing the brushes. I cannot say the same for my BE brushes. I can see taking this on my business trips instead of having a mish-mash of different types of brushes from different manufacturers.

I would definitely recommend this brush set for both the novice and experienced make-up users. If you wonder how to use each brush, be sure to check out videos on the web for how to use them.

The only thing that I would have liked to see was the brush number on each of the brushes. It's not like they are trying to hide from the paparazzi, you know? They have Coastal Scents embossed on the handles, but not the brush number. Not sure why that is. That's basically my only complaint...and it's not even a complaint. More like a recommendation to the company.

You won't regret this purchase. Just remember to take care of your brushes, regardless of their price. If you take care of them, and they are properly constructed, they will provide years of good service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Mac or Sigma but better than Ulta and Sephora worth the investment, January 11, 2013
**UPDATE**3/17/13
I washed these brushes again as I do every week or two depending on how many times I used them and the worst thing happened. For those of you not familiar with the terms of the brush names the simplistic way is the flat large kabuki or stippling brush completely caved in and all the bristles in the center fell into the brush and out of the top. The same happened with rounded kabuki handle brush last week. This goes to show the glue is not strong and as careful as I am with not getting them wet deep into the handle and drying them properly this still occurred. Not only that but in 3 months of use the performance of these brushes have declined. They don't seem pick up as much product or lay it as evenly. I use professional products for cleaning and conditioning as well as brush guards to reshape them while drying. I did really love these brushes. But the shedding that started after a few washes has really destroyed the quality of these brushes. I truly had high hopes for these. I rated them 4 stars and for lower price and in the low mid grade line of brushes would have gave them a solid 5. Now simply a 2 at best because they did last 3 months for 35 dollars. Such a huge disappointment. My Bobbi Brown and MAC brushes have lasted 10 years without a single issue. My old 8-10 year old MAC brushes were prior to Estae Lauder buying them out where as after the buy out I have gotten 5 or do years of use. My Sigma brushes the ones I purchased a year ago and 3 years ago are going strong. I am going to spend the extra 30-60 on purchasing Sedona Lace brushes many wonderful artists I know and work with have been raving about them. Equally comparing to Sigma and some as great as MAC for far less. I am truly heartbroken these did not last.
**END UPDATE**
This is a good brush set. This being said if you are expecting a product with the same structure and quality as Mac or Sigma you are barking up the wrong tree. But if you are looking for a personal use decent quality brush set this is for you. I'm a makeup artist and I have pretty much every brand and brush under the sun but I also can't help but purchase anything new or that I simply don't have out on the market. You never know when you will come across a gem. I have multiples being as I always need 3-5 clean and ready to go sets being as washing and drying will take up to 2 days and I don't ever want that to interfere with clients. I wash and condition my brushes not just sterilize them a quick sterilization can have the brushes ready in hours but it can also destroy the brush if done every time and long term. I would not use these on my clients. They deserve and expect the highest level of quality and application. The thing is I am VERY fond of this set for personal use. Some brushes I won't ever use and others I'm using daily. But for around a buck a brush it's so worth it and with the ones I gave away from this set or still equals out to a little over $3 a brush factoring in just the ones I kept. I have single brushes and sets from sephora I spent over $125 a set and $20 for individual brushes that I prefer these brushes over those. I haven't had any shedding on the natural brushes and minimal on the synthetic brushes. The large fan brush and the angled blush brush had shed the most but nothing serious. I've had these for about a month and washed them a dozen times. They seem to be well constructed the glue is still very much intact. If you are looking for a great priced personal use brush set this is right for you. If you are expecting Mac and Sigma quality from this set I really don't know how you could expect anything to perform to that level at such a low price. I haven't been able to find anything that can compete with those brands in my 10 years of artistry and makeup addiction. This is a great beginner set, rotation set, and personal use set. I do wish they were labeled but they only have the brand name on them. The case did have a factory odor I let them air out overnight and the smell went away. It wasn't anything terrible reminded me of the new car smell something straight from the factory. All in all it's worth the money just don't go in expecting Mac or Sigma.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, February 2, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
This brush set is the best I have ever had. All the brushes feel really soft and are good quality, there is so many to choose from. I highly recommend this set, it is a must!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Coastal Brushes, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I ordered these as a gift for my Daughter for Christmas. She loves them. Don't quite know what brushes she was using before these, but she talks about how soft they are and how well the make-up application goes when using these brushes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price., February 4, 2013
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
After looking for a set of brushes that were not out of my price range I was truly impressed by these. What caught my attention was the case it came in and also the other reviews I had read on here and also the youtube reviews I had watched. So I decided to order them they came within 3 days and when I opened them I was completely satisfied. The brushed were great quality and I could not believe I payed under 40 dollars for a set of 22 brushes. If you are a beginner with makeup or even more experienced these brushes are the way to go they are more then worth the price and I do not have anything bad to say about my purchase(:

3.0 out of 5 stars Expect shedding., November 30, 2012
Lana (Apple Valley,MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
I washed them before use as recommended.All natural hair brushes in this set shed a lot.That would be 10 eyeshadow brushes and angle brush (5th from the left).Bigger brushes shed 20+ hairs smaller ones just a few.After they dried shedding continued.I dabbed brushes on a lint roller to remove loose hairs and posted a picture,to give you an idea how much.
I think shedding stopped for now.I will update review if it changes.

Have to mention I got two of these sets, one for me and one to gift and both shed the same.So I do not understand all the raving about how brushes do not shed.I obviously did not get defective set since both perform similar.I washed and rinsed them by swirling on a clean plate,used E.L.F antibacterial brush shampoo and dried them hanging with bristles down,so water does not get into ferrule.

Now the good part.All of the brushes do what they supposed to very well.They pick up good amount of product and apply it to my liking.Synthetic brushes shed very little or not at all.Most are very full and dense.
Large powder buffer is my favorite. I use it for liquid foundation.It is so full it takes over 24 hrs. to dry.I had to get second brush like that to be able to use it every day.One sold individually by Coastal Scents is $14.95.It is similar but even more dense and has slightly shorter bristles.I also like flat top buffer,mostly for powders but can be used for liquid makeup too.I would buy this set just for two buffer brushes and foundation brush, that I wish was bigger,but stil a good brush I use a lot,love it for BB cream.

Case has faint chemical smell that goes away.In my opinion, it is something to be expected with anything made of pvc.I had brush set from BH cosmetics that smelled absolutely toxic for weeks, so this is nothing.

Not the softest bristles I ever touched, but better than I expected from cheap brushes.

There are few I would skip.Small duo fiber one they call round powder(3rd from the left) is very skinny,not my favorite.Pretty much identical liner brushes in 3 sizes I do not care for.Many similar eyeshadow brushes in different sizes, would be good for makeup artist, as there are different eye sizes to work with, but there are too many for personal use.Not the worst thing to complain about )))

It would be good to have names of brushes stamped on a handle, especially since Amazon does not have them listed at all. You can go to coastalscents.com and print it out,they have detailed description of every brush.

I think you can not get a better variety of decent brushes for $30.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Brush set, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set (Misc.)
Bought this brush set for my wife. The packaging smells like gasoline however she seems to like the brushes, only had for a month now but still no complaints. I would buy these again.

Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set