Coastal Scents 22 Piece Brush Set
Color: 22pcs BlackChange
Price:$29.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 1, 2012
I bought these brushes after hearing many people rave about them. Let me just say this is a good kit, especially the price that you pay considering what you get. You get a lot of brushes!!! You should be able to create any makeup look and make it look quite nice as well. All of the brushes are soft, so very soft. These brushes are better than pretty much anything that you'll find at stores like Ulta, Sephora, or even Walmart. (I literally tested all of their brushes lol) However, these are not high end brushes like MAC or Sigma, but they're NOT, I REPEAT NOT AT ALL low quality brushes like E.L.F.. I own Sigma brushes and these do not compare to the quality and density of Sigma. But by no means am I saying that these are bad brushes, they're quite good actually. They pick up make up well and apply quite nicely. The eye brushes are phenomenal, the face brushes- some are great, others are just okay. At $1.60 per brush, you really can't go wrong with this deal.

Main Face Brushes

Flat stippling- Okay, just okay. Very soft, but too soft and flimsy for application. Forces me to use more foundation than I would with my hands or a sponge.

Angle blush- Good. Nice and soft, but it could be denser. Picks up color well and applies just as well.

Large Round Powder/ Buffer- AWESOME!!!!!!! Great for anything, hands down!!! Never even seen a brush like this one. This brush retailer for around $17 by itself!!!

Small Powder/ Buffer - eh, I didn't like it, and it's not the softest. I'm going to buy a different powder brush.

Foundation Brush- Good quality.

THIS IS A GREAT STARTER BRUSH SET, especially if this is your first brush set. After purchasing this , you really only need to buy speciality brushes for specific things. You won't regret buying this set! :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2013
Without making this review extremely long. I want to say I am a professional MUA 10 years in the business. I recycle or "collect" brushes constantly but have completely started my kit over. Without getting into the history of brushes etc.. I will say this set comes complete with , synthetic hair, one pony hair but the majority are BADGER hair brushes..which are FANTASTIC. Basically these are quality brushes for an outrageous price. In this one set I have done theatrical makeup ( heavy cream shadows and paints) , Beauty makeup and much more , no need to have to look for another brush out of my old stash. It simply is best by itself. So if you are looking for quality brushes for a good price.. this is your set. The brushes wash well , no shedding.

Tips: Learn what each brush is supposed to do , how long the color last on the brush and the type of coverage. If you do not know these things you will not understand the deal you are getting here.

Note about the seller. The shipping was fast I ordered it one day and received it the next. The case that it comes with is perfect, it completely eliminated my apron and also my brush bundle. It's the size of a medium/large clutch and it made of faux leather..durable and easy to clean.
review image
on February 5, 2012
I never go out of my way to write any reviews, but this product really deserves it. I am a beauty consultant and i know plenty about makeup brushes, and i know quality when i see it. This is the best purchase i have made in a while, i recommend to everyone to buy this brush set, and get rid of all the other brushes you have now, thats what i did. this set literally comes with every type of brush under the sun, im a happy customer.
ps. got shipped earlier than expected which is another perk.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 9, 2012
I am a makeup artist, and although I have pro memberships with several popular makeup companies, I'm not a brush snob. I was looking for new brushes for my kit for a couple of jobs I have coming up, and was allllll over the internet searching. I purposely avoided my pro sites and was just going to use them as a last resort b/c of the cost per brush. One of my makeup friends told me about Coastal Scents and when I saw them on Amazon, I had to check them out. I paid the $34.95, and couldn't be happier. I tested them on myself several days during the work week, and not only are they soft, but they haven't shed. I will update this when I wash them, but I love them so far. I appreciate that practically every makeup need is met in this set. The fan brush is huge, so it would be more appropos for dusting highlight on the body and not the face. The eye brushes are soft and not scratchy, and the same goes for the powder/blush brushes. The only downside is that the bag has a bit of an odor, and if you are sensitive to smells, that may be a problem. I believe it to be just the bag b/c I haven't had any reactions to the brushes when they're near my face. If you plan to use the bag, it may be worth airing out on the porch or patio.

I ordered two more sets of these brushes b/c I've noticed that sometimes when I order from Amazon, after I buy, the item price goes up. I was able to get that fantastic price again. I highly recommend this set.
on November 10, 2014
I wanted to love these brushes as much as some of the rave reviews I've read posted here on amazon, I really did. I was thinking I'd be one of them. When I ordered them, I got so excited to get them. And they're not bad or anything, but they're not as good as everyone seems to be saying... There is a chance I got a bad batch, but after seeing more recent reviews on youtube and reading reviews about them on the coastal scents website and elsewhere, what I've realised is that this brush set reached its peak in quality from the time they came out in late 2011 (I think September 2011), until about a year and a half ago - which is when I noticed reviews about them started to get less consistently good. Like a fool, I waited too long to get them - I was really thinking it over for a long time (like two years!) whether or not I really needed them - and when I finally decided I should buy them, the quality went to pot in the meantime unfortunately, compared to what they were.

Firstly, many of the brushes I have seem to have been made with a lot less hair in them than they were previously made with. Most notably the large fan, small duo-fibre round powder brush, the angle blush brush, and concealer are much less dense. The small round powder brush in particular seems to almost not even be there, it doesn't have many hairs in it in the first place, compared to videos I've seen of youtube beauty vloggers who have reviewed the same set. The other annoying thing about the brushes is that most of the eye brushes haven't been trimmed correctly, and even one or two of the bigger face ones have strange stray hairs in some spots. And some reviewers have mentioned shedding - I've experienced this the most specifically with the angle blush brush and the dark pointed blender - but almost all the natural fibre eye brushes have shed at least a little bit.

What can I say? I'm disappointed. I believed the hype and based on that I bought the set. I know some people who've reviewed this set say it's much more than just a beginner's set, but I can't agree. If most of the sets are of the same quality as what I've experienced mine to be, I'm sure no professional makeup artist would be raving about it. It's perfectly usable and adequate for a beginner, when you consider the price, but it's laughable to be considered as MAC replacement or even anything close. On a positive note, the case is very nice, and even when some of the brushes begin to die on me, I can certainly replace them with better quality ones over time. I've had them for about a month and I've been consistently using and washing them the whole time. I'll continue to use them until they all break down and die, but at the moment I'm also collecting better quality brushes already (like Real Techniques and most recently the Shany 24 pc. Pro Signature brush set which has much more consistently rave reviews than this one). It's too bad I'm all the way over in Europe otherwise I would have just returned them. I'm excited to be getting my Shany set which I recently ordered - it really does seem to be professional quality, and more like what this coastal scents one used to be. I just hope I'm not disappointed by that one like I was with this one. Because the Shany pro signature seems to be a fairly new set, released just late last year, I thought I'd jump on it this time instead of wondering and waiting until the quality goes down like with coastal scents- because that was also when coastal scents was at the top of its game too. I'll be leaving a review on that one after it arrives and I've used it for a while, just as I've done with this set.

But in the meantime, if you're interested in this brush set as a beginner, go for it! I've heard on the American coastal scents site there's lots of sales and you might as well get the deal. But if you're a professional makeup artist or a more experienced makeup user, this set is perhaps not what it used to be if you're already used to good, professional quality brushes.
on October 19, 2012
Some of the brushes are great while some of the smaller non-synthetic brushes don't do well at picking up and placing eye shadows..... The facial brushes are great and work really well with liquid, mineral and powder foundations and concealers. When I received my order the fan brush was damaged so amazon sent out another package for me to switch which had damaged bristles.I have washed them several times and I've had no shedding since.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 30, 2012
I washed them before use as recommended.All natural hair brushes in this set shed a lot.That would be 10 eyeshadow brushes and angle brush (5th from the left).Bigger brushes shed 20+ hairs smaller ones just a few.After they dried shedding continued.I dabbed brushes on a lint roller to remove loose hairs and posted a picture,to give you an idea how much.
I think shedding stopped for now.I will update review if it changes.

Have to mention I got two of these sets, one for me and one to gift and both shed the same.So I do not understand all the raving about how brushes do not shed.I obviously did not get defective set since both perform similar.I washed and rinsed them by swirling on a clean plate,used E.L.F antibacterial brush shampoo and dried them hanging with bristles down,so water does not get into ferrule.

Now the good part.All of the brushes do what they supposed to very well.They pick up good amount of product and apply it to my liking.Synthetic brushes shed very little or not at all.Most are very full and dense.
Large powder buffer is my favorite. I use it for liquid foundation.It is so full it takes over 24 hrs. to dry.I had to get second brush like that to be able to use it every day.One sold individually by Coastal Scents is $14.95.It is similar but even more dense and has slightly shorter bristles.I also like flat top buffer,mostly for powders but can be used for liquid makeup too.I would buy this set just for two buffer brushes and foundation brush, that I wish was bigger,but stil a good brush I use a lot,love it for BB cream.

Case has faint chemical smell that goes away.In my opinion, it is something to be expected with anything made of pvc.I had brush set from BH cosmetics that smelled absolutely toxic for weeks, so this is nothing.

Not the softest bristles I ever touched, but better than I expected from cheap brushes.

There are few I would skip.Small duo fiber one they call round powder(3rd from the left) is very skinny,not my favorite.Pretty much identical liner brushes in 3 sizes I do not care for.Many similar eyeshadow brushes in different sizes, would be good for makeup artist, as there are different eye sizes to work with, but there are too many for personal use.Not the worst thing to complain about )))

It would be good to have names of brushes stamped on a handle, especially since Amazon does not have them listed at all. You can go to coastalscents.com and print it out,they have detailed description of every brush.

I think you can not get a better variety of decent brushes for $30.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2012
I am somewhat of a brush snob, but not really. I look for brushes that perform well and are worth the price. I have owned my Bobbi Brown brushes for nearly 2 decades and have never been sorry for the investment. They still perform WELL, but know that I take care of my brushes, regardless of cost.

After seeing reviews for a variety of Coastal Scents products, including the buffing brush, I decided to throw caution into the wind and purchase the 22 pc brush set (I really didn't need all 22 brushes...seriously...I have WAY too many brushes for someone who is NOT a makeup artist).

The brushes came in a really cool brush roll. It has an interesting odor, but nothing repulsive. I am sure that it will dissapate over time. The brushes themselves have no noticable odor. As a matter of fact, my recent MAC brushes (from the Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale) had a detectable odor.

So far, the brushes I have tried have performed as well as my high-end brushes. I have not noticed any hair loss after washing the brushes. I cannot say the same for my BE brushes. I can see taking this on my business trips instead of having a mish-mash of different types of brushes from different manufacturers.

I would definitely recommend this brush set for both the novice and experienced make-up users. If you wonder how to use each brush, be sure to check out videos on the web for how to use them.

The only thing that I would have liked to see was the brush number on each of the brushes. It's not like they are trying to hide from the paparazzi, you know? They have Coastal Scents embossed on the handles, but not the brush number. Not sure why that is. That's basically my only complaint...and it's not even a complaint. More like a recommendation to the company.

You won't regret this purchase. Just remember to take care of your brushes, regardless of their price. If you take care of them, and they are properly constructed, they will provide years of good service.
on March 16, 2013
Pros:
- They are really good for a cheap price
-They are soft and gentle
- I love using them, they make my make-up look more professional
-They look expensive

Cons:
- The leather case stinks, so I left it outside in my balcony for couple of days till the smell wore off
- The first time I washed them, they are started shedding a little bit; but not anymore
- I wish they came with a user guide but I looked them up online and figured it out :)
review image review image review image review image
on February 2, 2012
This brush set is the best I have ever had. All the brushes feel really soft and are good quality, there is so many to choose from. I highly recommend this set, it is a must!!!