5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Handful
The Cobra 75 WX ST Weatherband CB provides an incredible amount of functionality in a very small package. Installation is fast and easy - with a couple tools, your antenna mounted, and little skill, you can have this radio up and running in an hour or two.
Published on August 7, 2002 by Paul M. Provencher

3.0 out of 5 stars Cobra 75WXST falls a little short
Published on January 10, 2007 by DR

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Handful, August 7, 2002
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
CB radios are limited to low-power broadcasting at 4 watts or less. This radio provides maximum power allowed by law and is capable of some pretty incredible range under the right conditions. With a properly tuned, high-quality antenna, I have had coversations with others using the same radio up to 9 miles away. Under normal circumstances, 1-2 miles is more realistic.
As for features, this one has several:
- Scan (all 40 channels in sequence)
- Dual Scan (two channels of your choice)
- Memory
- Lock (so the hand controls don't get reset by accident)
- Weatherband (10 NOAA frequencies)
- Last 3 channels
- SoundTracker (like Dolby noise reduction)
I use mine in a 1999 Jeep Wrangler where there is little extra space for another device. It fits perfectly on my console with the small box hidden away inside.
I can listen to truckers while I am on the highway, talk to my friends when we go off-highway, or scan the channels for both when driving to and from the trails. In the two years I have used mine, it has never given me any problems. It is very sturdy and should stand up to hard use.
I purchased the optional external speaker so that it would be easier to hear but many people find the unit works well right out of the box!
There might be bigger, badder CB's out there, but this one is a peach!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little CB!, September 27, 2004
T.J. (Texas/Italy) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
After looking at multiple CB systems, I finally decided upon this little number for a few reasons.

Originally, I wanted a CB that would fit in my dash above my radio (I drive a 4Runner) so the CB would look nice and integrated. I was told by many installers that I didn't have enough depth in my empty slot above the radio. One installer recommended this CB, but I was skeptical about the small, all-inclusive package. One thing I did like about this CB right from the start was that it's easy to hide from view, thus reducing any potential break-in for my CB or my Radio. When I'm not using this CB I slide it under the front seat and it's completely hidden and doesn't bother any passengers. Another HUGE benefit to this radio that I didn't discover until I used it was that everything is on the handset, which means that everything can be adjusted VERY easily while driving. In fact, after a few uses, you'll know all the buttons, so you no longer have to take your eyes of the road or bend over to grab the radio or change channels. I just keep the radio next to my leg and operate it without have to move or look away.

I use a 6ft magnetic mount/unscrewable whip Wilson antenna. With direct line-of-sight, I can get about 11 miles, significantly farther than I had expected. In actual use, I get about 4 miles or so. Also, I typically only use it on the highway.

The weather band has been especially nice. I've driven all throughout the south from Arizona to Florida and I've been able to pick up weather stations almost everywhere.

I had my doubts at first with this unit, but after having used it for two years, I've come to really love it. I would definitely but this CB again.

--------------- 6 years of use update ----------------

This CB still works great and I've had absolutely no problems with it. It's very much a quality product. Like I said years ago, I keep the CB under the passenger seat when not in use, so it does slide around a bit and gets knocked around from time-to-time. But still, with 6 years of that kind of abuse, it still works flawlessly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cobra 75WXST falls a little short, January 10, 2007
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
I purchased a Midland 75-822 CB first and then a Cobra 75WST about 5 months later, they are both designed with most, if not all, of the electronics built into the handset type of CBs. I wanted to use an external speaker with the handheld CB for better sound clarity. The Cobra's external speaker jack is in a more covenant, out of the way location, with possibly easier to operate with one hand controls than the Midland CB. On the Cobra the remote speaker plugs into the remote adapter and not directly into the handset as the Midland unit must. This eliminates that extra (in the way) wire running from the Midland handset to the external speaker and places the extra wire out of the way connecting it directly to the remote adapter of the Cobra, not to the handset. With an external speaker plugged into the Midland CB its on/off volume and squelch controls are even more difficult to access. The Cobra handset has a longer coiled cord that's nice but its handset is a little overly large but not unworkable.

The Cobra volume and squelch controls are more conveniently located but don't have any mid range markings. This makes it hard to see where your settings are until something comes in too low to hear or screeches out too loud. They are also a little hard to reach and work with, with your thumb, especially with the on/off volume control which is a little hard and stiff to switch off. The Midland's controls are on top and kind of a two handed operation, neither manufacture's design is a clear winner while driving a vehicle but maybe the Cobra is a touch ahead here for one handed use. By the way, when I purchase hand gloves, they are the extra large size.

The Sound Tracker system appears to work but maybe a bit of a scam from my informal tests. When you turn the Sound Tracker on, the signal is noticeably quieter but the Midland is always just as quiet in my comparison tests and nothing to switch on.

Each time when you turn your Cobra unit on to listen or talk you have to remember to push a button to activate the Sound Tracker and if you disconnect the 12 volt power all the CB's settings are instantly lost. The Midland CB retains its settings if it's turned off, and also as long as the 12 V is connected plus even for a period of time even if the 12 V supply is disconnected.

The Weather Band stations in my area seemed to come in better on the Midland but not much better, I will call this a near tie.

Neither CB radio is a clear winner in my mind. I think if I were purchasing CBs again it would be the Midland 75-822 because Midland also offers so much more with their CB than the Cobra. The Midland unit comes with a bonus of two different battery packs, one for regular batteries and a second one for rechargeable batteries plus a rubber ducky CB antenna. That makes the Midland fully portable allowing you to use it away from your vehicle, not requiring the vehicle's 12 V supply and the vehicle's CB antenna. Sometimes Midland also offers a power supply brick with their CB to charge the batteries. It's not a very sophisticated charging unit; it does not shut off or tell you when the rechargeable batteries are fully charged. This leaves you to guess at the time and if they are fully charged. A fast external charger would probably be a better option. The Cobra is missing most if not all of these features and from my Internet searches the Cobra cost more.

Both of my CB radios had electrical problems when first purchased. The Midland came new from an e-bay purchase and I had to return it directly to Midland for repair/replacement as the display did not work when it got to around 45 degrees in temperature outside. When the unit warmed up all was OK and in June, July, and August it took a while to notice the problem. It was cheerfully replaced (not repaired) and they sent me back several more parts than I sent them. The Cobra unit received signals OK but would not transmit right out of the box. I did not notice it right away as I assumed since the receiver worked OK and I was reusing an existing antenna all would be OK. I had the option to return it to the seller or mail it in for, I guess, replacement just as Midland's offered but the Cobra CB came from Amazon. Returning to Amazon turned out to be a wonderfully simple and fast exchange process. All my friends have been really impressed when I explained the exchange. Fortunately I returned the complete Cobra CB, not knowing Amazon would cross ship me a complete and completely new unit, with Amazon paying all the shipping both directions. As I remember it took just around a week, maybe one or two days longer than the original delivery, I guess they waited just long enough for them to determine my unit was in the mail and on its way back before they sent the replacement.

Again both CBs are very comparable with no clear winner in my mind but I think maybe Midland has the edge but not enough for me to return my Cobra and order a Midland. By the way I have no ties to any of the companies in this review.

This is from my best memory, I hope this helps in your CB radio decision.

Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE CB Radio - GET ONE!!!!, January 7, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
After researching CB radios to put in my 4x4 for an extended 3 week road trip/off road trip, I purchased this CB radio 1 1/2 years ago because it takes up very little space and it has all of the controls conveniently integerated into the handset/speaker. (perfect for manual transmission drivers like me) Also, it has a weather radio (which picks up transmissions from the National Weather Service around the US), which some other models I considered did not have. If you travel around the country, you will use the weather radio function occasionally. The CB itself also works great, of course - I traveled with a large group and was on the CB all day long and the speaker is clear and loud in my noisy vehicle. Gadget lovers, there is not a CB radio out there as cool, completely functional, and space saving as this one - perfect for those who do not want to drill into their vehicle to mount a large cb unit, the "box" for this unit is about double the size of a box of matches, tiny enough to easily fit under any dashboard or in a glovebox, out of sight from thieves and out of your way. And because all of the controls are on the handset you will be a safer driver as you do not have to take your eyes off the road to adjust the cb controls. The quality and finish and value of the unit is excellent - this CB is a total winner - I wish I could give it higher than a 5 star rating - if you need a CB, get this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cobra, June 20, 2003
By A Customer
This radio was bought for over the road traveling. I was attracted to this radio for several reasons weather radio,scan feature,and compact design. The radio has preformed excellent,and is small enough to put in any car or truck. I had only two problems with this radio, First the scan feature only works when the squelch is turned up high enough to elliminate "fuzz" which dosent allw you to pick up and scan weak signals, Second this radio dose not have a SWR meter(Standing Wave Ratio) which means to have your antenna tuned yu have to buy a SWR meter or take it to a CB shop which can be a hassle. Other than that this radio is perfect and dose a fine job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CB, August 30, 2005
Da-wei Hong (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
ive owned a couple CB's and this is definitely one of the better ones (the only ones that are better are substancially more expensive). works great and can be mounted in dash because of the front firing speaker. tons of features including scanning and weather (which actually comes in very handy). the only feature it lacks (and i wish it had) is the ability to hook up to a PA. other than that its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 years later... this champ still runs!, April 25, 2006
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
I have installed this CB in three vehicles over the past three years.

2002 Jeep: survived Moab in a Jeep with no top for five days!

2004 Dakota: survived Hurricane Rita's attack on my Dakota. I found the cb on the floor of my cab soaking wet. I turned it on and used it for the next two weeks to coordinate ice delivery shipments from I-10 truckers.

2005 Jeep: the CB is now mounted on the dash right above the steering wheel. I can see signal strength and scan without taking my eyes off the road.

The best feature of this cb is the small control box. I have the box mounted behind my Jeep's glove compartment. I easily ran the mic wiring just above the gas pedal and used the mounting bracket to place the CB in it's aforementioned location.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent radio, some marketing hype, December 14, 2006
Harrkev "harrkev" (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
First, a little about my background. I am an amateur radio operator (ham radio), and an electrical engineer. So, I know a little about radios. I got another car, and decided to put a two-meter mobile and a CB in it. Since the 2M mobile takes up all available space for mounting a radio, I decided to choose this model as my CB. I have had it going for a few days now and it seems to work just fine. The advantages of this model, besides the obvious one of being easier to mount, is that it also includes weather reception, a scan mode, and an actual frequency display (a rarity among normal legal CB's). About the only bad points that I can see is that the unit itself is somewhat large and looks awkward on my dash, the speaker does not sound fantastic (but not too bad considering the size), the knobs are a little difficult to adjust while still attached to the dash, and the cable is coiled and flexible but it is so thick that you have to really tug on it to get it to extend. The thing that amazes me is the marketing hype. The "soundtracker" technology is close to useless. If you power on the radio without and antenna, soundtracker sounds great. However, if you turn it on with an antenna attached while truckers are talking all over the state, soundtracker does nothing for that type of noise. The problem is that, with CB, you never really get quiet conditions. If soundtracker is so great, why even include a button to turn it off? Why not just leave it on all the time? Soundtracker also claims to increase the transmission strength. There is really only one way to transmit at full legal power. If soundtracker does actually improve transmission, that means that they intentionally crippled transmit when soundtracker is turned off. So, the whole soundtracker thing smells to me like a bunch of marketing hype. This is still a good choice for a CB, though, if you cannot mount a regular-sized unit in your vehicle. Just make sure to get a good antenna. I chose a Larsen designed for 11-meter usage in an NMO mount.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Little radio, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
I got this radio as a birthday gift from my wife back in March. It's been a long time since I've had a CB and I really like this one's features especially the scanning and duel watch features and the ability to easily move it between vehicles. This week the speaker in the handset died on me also. However, this unit has a two-year warrantee so I don't understand another commentor's remark that when his unit broke down it would cost more to have it repaired that the unit originally cost. As I was driving to the warrantee center, the speaker came back on, but the sound was very scratchy. It wasn't "off frequency," it's just that the speaker was faulty. The repair center replaced the speaker in about a half hour and now everything works fine. You may want to go to the Cobra Electronics web site (Cobra.Com) and see if a warrantee center (not just a dealer) is near you if you have any concerns about this unit's speaker. I would have given this radio 5 stars if it hadn't been for the speaker problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Compact CB That Works Well, December 30, 2007
This review is from: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio (Electronics)
Being a member of a local Miata club, it is very common for our club runs to use CB's as the form of communication. Being in a Miata also means there is not a lot of spare room for such things. After talking to other members and reviews online, I felt this would do everything I needed and then some. The biggest asset is not having a large "box" that would need to be mountet and left in the car. The second biggest reason I also chose this unit was I needed a CB for our Cherokee 4x4. By being able to buy a second "connection" box for ~$25, I can use the main unit in two vehicles without the full expense of two CB's.

Hookup is easy with a power, ground and antanna connections. The plug for the main unit to the connection box can be run from undernieth the dash or console or mounted in a hole with the supplied mounting plate and grommet. I used a "blank out" panel (unused switch location) in the dash so if I ever remove it, I can just replace this panel with no ill effects. I drilled a hole in the panel, the same size as the mounting plate and used the supplied grommet in this panel, not using the mounting plate. It is a very clean installation and when the handheld unit is removed, you never know there was a CB in the vehicle.

The BIGGEST thing to remember for ANY CB is proper antanna tuning and a quality antanna. Without this, it doesn't matter how good the CB is. How important is tuning? I tuned my antanna for the best SWR readings I could get, which were very good and in our last club run, I was the only person who could talk and receive from everyone in the group.

I am very happy with this product and am looking forward to getting it setup in our Cherokee as well.

Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio