5.0 out of 5 stars cobra 7750 trucking gps
Published on June 6, 2011 by Cherry Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS with some quirks
A large (7" diagonal) bright beautiful GPS that acquires satellites quickly, with excellent up-to-date street maps, and good informative screens, this moderately expensive GPS unit has some quirks you need to know:

Missing are next exit and next cross street information. Incredible.
So the only way to read the next cross street is to read it off the map...
Published on October 20, 2011 by Otto J. Arnoscht

5.0 out of 5 stars cobra 7750 trucking gps, June 6, 2011
Cherry Lane (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cobra 7750 PRO Professional Driver 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Enhanced Truck-Specific Routing (Electronics)
I have been using my cobra gps for at least 6 months now and its great. has every place i've ever tried to find in the data base. if you need a trucking gps this is the way to go. Garmin and tomtom are paper weights. they will route you right to a weight limit rd or even to a tunnel you cant drive in with your truck. never had a problem with my cobra. you can even pull up a map on it and find your own route if you dont like the way it routed. makes my job alot easier knowing im not gonna get suprised by a low bridge or weight limit in my travels. If you have a garmin throw it out and get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Unit, January 9, 2011
Not always the best routes, but never terrible. I love the feature where I can set the height of my truck and it will take me the right way. Great in New York City where I can't remember the height of every bridge or tunnel. Big screen and very functional windshield attachment. It adjusts to many different positions so I can stick it to the windshield and rest it on the dashboard. That way the large heavy unit does not fall off. It would be perfect if I could enter my odometer reading and it could record my mileages for trip reports. Still excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cobra 7750 Platinum Professional Truck Specific GPS, April 27, 2011
We have a 42 foot motor home that we travel across the country Full Time RVing. We have had a few different GPS systems, all automobile type mapping. Every once in a while the GPS will route us where we should not be because of weight or size. We bought the Cobra 7750 Platinum because of the Truck Specific mapping. You actually enter you vehicle specifications such as height, with, weight, etc. After entering this information, the idea is that the GPS will keep you on a safe mapping route so you don't have to worry about low bridges, narrow roads, etc. First of all, the user manual documentation that comes with this unit is a joke. It is a quick start, very basic information only. You can get a little, and I do mean a little better detailed one on line. Second, you cannot enter your destination as a latitude / longitude coordinate. It is set up for streets, POI's and destinations built into the user base only. If your destination is not in the data base, there is no other way you can find it. I had several addresses that were not in the data base. I did have GPS coordinate points but the Cobra 7750 will not allow you to enter them, so it would attempt to get an address as close as possible to the one you entered from its data base. Sometimes that was miles off. It also will not let you set up a route on another program such as MS Streets and Trips where you download it to the GPS, like I can in my Garmin unit. Nor can you download Custom POI's to the unit, like I can on my Garmin unit. Third, very, very, poor products support. I was getting errors when I tried to use the Truck version of the mapping program from time to time that would tell me to check trucking restrictions, but did not give me a way to check them. I called the help line three times. The first time I sat on hold for 10 minutes until someone from parts picked up the line. When I said I was on hold for the support line she said to hold while she transferred me but hung up on me instead. I called back and waited another 6 or 7 minutes until someone picked up the call. When I explained the problem to her, she said she did not know but that is a good question for another tech. She transferred me and I got a voice mail for the tech that asked for me to tell him what unit I had and what the problem was along with your name and number and he would call back. I waited 4 days, still no call back. That was it. I sent the unit back. I bought a Garmin Truck Specific GPS to replace this one. I have to settle for a 5" screen instead of a 7" screen but the Garmin is much more user friendly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS with some quirks, October 20, 2011
Otto J. Arnoscht (Montgomery, Alabama) - See all my reviews

Missing are next exit and next cross street information. Incredible.
So the only way to read the next cross street is to read it off the map where it may be sideways or upside down and keeps moving as you move. Awful!
Missing are miles to the next exit. That's bad, really bad.
So now I am running two GPSs, the Cobra gives me mile marker info, and another cheapo GPS tells me the next exit. Together I can figure out how far I am from the next exit. I should not need two GPSs for that.

To zoom in one step, you have to hit the screen three times. First to open to zoom tab, then to increase the zoom, then to close the tab. And all three hits have to be well aimed. Terrible. Unbelievable. Who designed this?
To see mile markers you have to keep a tab open - that covers up one third of the screen, and the screen does not recenter. So if you have North on top and travel east, you cannot see much ahead on the map. Ridiculous!
The mount is so completely inadequate (this is a big and heavy unit) that the unit shakes like bobble-head figures with every little bump, making information unreadable. Be ready to make your own dash mount.
Volume is inadequate for trucks.
The on and off button has to be found (there is no marking, you need to feel your way to find it) and has to be held down for three seconds or longer to turn the unit on or off - an eternity.

Routing - not tested. I plan trips on google maps.

The speed trap and traffic databases are notoriously unreliable for all GPSs. I do not use them. True to form, old local speed traps long abandoned still result in warnings, while major interstate construction that restricts lanes and slows traffic seem to be missed. These problems are the same for all three GPS systems I have. I don't hold this against this Cobra model.

The Cobra has other features like trucker log, duty hours, and miles traveled in each state. These are nice and work well.

Overall: a nice unit with some quirks and design oddities.

1.0 out of 5 stars useless for cdl drivers, May 7, 2011
Piece if crap.Useless for a truck driver. 3 times in a week I ended up in a residential area with my 18 wheeler. It tells you that some of the truck routes are not for semi trucks which has been for years. Forget about newer areas, I had to use my cell phone to get to some of the bussineses which are in those places for couple of years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, March 29, 2012
I don't see what all the negativity is from RV'ers, apparently they don't or can't put in the specs of
Their RV. So no wonder it won't work for them. This
Thing gets me where I need to be & will tell me if the route wont work. Just put in the correct info & go!

1.0 out of 5 stars Be cautious with this one., November 26, 2013
K. Carter (the dark side of the moon) - See all my reviews
A bit of background first. I have been driving commercially for about 7 years. I never used nor did I even need a GPS to tell me where I'm going or need to go until the technology was available,imagine that. Before that, I used a map, they are rarely wrong, remember maps? I run all 48 states and Canada coast to coast.

So let's get into this.

I have been using this unit for about a year. I have really put this unit through the mill in NYC and other places like Dallas, Toronto etc.
My main complaint with this GPS is the update downloads appear to be obsolete before they are made available. Information like truck stop data is not always reliable. But more importantly, from time to time the unit will try to steer me 20 to 50 miles out of route to my destination. So the gist of this is there is no replacement to maps and common sense and take everything this unit says with a grain of salt and verify the route through some other source before trusting it completely. I happen to have another GPS that I have more faith and it is correct more often than this POS. For $400.00 I expect it to not be wrong or incorrect as often as it is. I expect it to give me the the proper truck and Hazmat routes every time and if something changes, I EXPECT the update (if needed) to be made in a timely manner! For what this unit cost, that's a reasonable expectation. For what ever reason, Cobra does not seem to be supporting this product very well. I would give this thing a 1 but it is correct sometimes and times when I really didn't need it that much anyway. I realize and understand things change on the road in respect to what's there and what's not. It is my best guess the data that is available for this unit is approximately 1 to 2 years in the rears. Update 03/15/14. After all efforts on line and E mails to Cobra, it appears there are no map updates for this unit. So there's $400.00 down the drain, my unit is now obsolete in 2 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars oh well, June 18, 2012
I'm going back to Garmin. After running the 7750 for a while I've decided this thing is junk, editing routes it gives is almost impossible, it routes my 18 wheeler to roads that don't exist, puts me on restricted roads where a big truck has no business going. Baltimore MD seems to be the worst place, this thing is terrible. I've been using the maps app on my phone as a backup for when the cobra gets lost. Don't waste your money, I hear the Rand McNally gps is doing a good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cobra 7750 Pro Professional Driver 7 inch GPS navigator, April 7, 2012
I got this for my husband, he drives a flatbed all over the country. It navigates him better than his company computer does!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cobra Good, ProMiles Bad, October 27, 2011
My primary complaint about the Cobra Platinum 7750 B is that while it has many of the bells and whistles I like, the Promiles people need to go back and do their homework again. I would estimate that approximately half of the DOT weigh stations are not listed. The ones that do show up are somewhat comical in that the distance is shown to the second decimal place, but they are usually at least two miles out of position. If they can't afford a top end truck oriented map, then Cobra could definitely benefit by having such important points of interest user-correctable. I'm not confident about the routes it chooses yet, but that could be due to the lack of a manual and needing to learn from experience and experimentation.
-Update 05/09/13-
Cobra has come up with a handy update to allow you to override routes that the Promiles people still think are not truck accessible.
I still wouldn't dare use this as my sole routing guide, by a long shot, as it still sometimes takes some really strange, circuitous paths.