5.0 out of 5 stars Troopers Meet Your Match
Published on May 5, 2010 by David Trammell

Let me save you the 10 hours I spent researching radar detectors in articles, expert tests, expert reviews, and user reviews from cnet, amazon, etc.

Published on May 8, 2012 by ALJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Troopers Meet Your Match, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Cobra XRS 9970G Voice Alert 15 Band Radar and Laser Detector (Electronics)
I purchased this radar unit for my Hummer H2. I am very familiar with radar being a commercial pilot. I've owned radar detecting equipment off and on for 32 years. This is the most sophisticated highly sensitive unit I've owned and its easy to set up and operate. Its mounted on my dash since I cant reach the windshield from the drivers seat. The radar detector performs great. It has many features to reduce false alerts. I like the intellimute feature. It senses your RPMS and mutes the sound up to a preset RPM that you have entered, plus speed alerts you can preset. Mine is set at 75. It will chime and says "speed alert" if speed is exceeded, very handy and shows your speed when alerting. It has picked up state troopers in town blocks away, plenty of time to adjust your speed. The screen is visable in bright daylight, but I use the blackout feature which it goes dark after a preset time you enter but it will light back up upon a radar/gps signal. The icons can be set to different colors (green blue red orange or multi) to match your dash light colors. You can tell if its a false hit because it will only read out KA band, but a police radar hit will show the frequency he is using. The touch screen is priceless. Just a touch of an icon will change a feature and is very easy to change settings on the go, and the red-light/speed camera/speed trap detection is indispensible. As I was driving the interstate on a camp trip the Cobra 9970G alerted (caution speed trap area). Right after it alerted I looked over at the oncoming lanes and a state trooper had someone pulled over with lights flashing. This thing really works. The AURA Database is constantly updated every 12 hours and is free with the purchase of the 9970G. You can also manually set different alert locations up to 1000 of them. I usually set it up for school zones. It will alert you well ahead of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Protection and Detection Capabilites., May 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can remember the last radar detector I had was a Cobra. They sure have come a long ways since the long strip of red lights that would increase in increments when a signal was detected. The Cobra XRS 9970G is all digital, full color touch screen and has an easy to read display. Gives you 360 degrees of protection. The voice alerts are a plus to let you know if you are being targeted. Measurements are approximately 5 x 3 And weighs about 7 ounces. There are so many features in this little piece of equipment. The extra features I find the most helpful is the GPS Locator, the low battery warning and the speed indicator. We have a rebuilt 1984 Mustang drag car that is street legal and the speedometer is not accurate. Using the speed indicator on the radar detector has been extremely helpful to monitor our speeds. With so many features and options, you will need to play around with it to feature out how to set the features and display to your needs. The Cobra XRS 9970G offers false recognition detection but it still goes off whenever I pass certain banks, municipalities or building with some kind of security system. It does not happen all the time but I have come accustomed of knowing which buildings and areas will give me a false detection.

At first I was confused after reading about the AURA Database feature in the manual, but after doing some searching on Cobra's website I found out that AURA stands for Advanced Universal Road Alert.

Description quote from Cobra's website:

"It warns drivers of thousands of driving threats that could cause unintended traffic violations as well as accidents. The result is that AURA-equipped drivers have heightened situational awareness--extra help to know what's around them, and what's ahead. The AURA database stores GPS coordinates of speed and red-light cameras and driving hazards. Users can access this database online and download daily updates onto various devices. One such device is a GPS locator (a USB flash drive) that connects to various AURA-compatible units and synchronizes the database to the device for the most current driving hazard warnings. Given the rate at which new photo enforcement cameras are being installed, providing daily updates is critical to providing motorists with the most reliable protection possible."

The AURA database covers all of the United States.

The AURA Database is nice feature to have at no cost since it is sold as an ad-on for older units/inexpensive models for $99.95 for 12 months plus $29.95 per year after the first year. With the Cobra XRS 9970G it is a LIFETIME subscription at no charge. It is not a very difficult procedure to do. All you need is to have a computer with internet connection. Register your product on Cobra's website.
** Make sure you input the serial number on the GPS Locator and not the serial number of the radar detector.** You will see on the menu an option to "update my data". Follow the easy to install directions. Make sure you download the program prior to connecting the GPS drive in the computer. After the first initial install, all you have to do is plug the "included" USB adapter cable to the GPS Locater Unit and insert it to a USB slot on computer, it will automatically update. It states they are constantly adding more speed traps and cameras so it would be a good idea to update on a regular basis.
NOTE - it is Windows 7 compatible, which is what I use.

The only negative things I can say about this unit is that the 12V DC power plug could be a tad bit longer and that I wish it came with an optional longer tilt/adjustable mounting bracket. I would of preferred to place the unit in the middle of the dash by placing the windshield suction cups on a mounting disc plate (like the ones used with navigation systems). However, you can adhere the unit on your dashboard with the enclosed double-sided tape. Since the lip of the display screen overhangs, you will have to mount it with the display hanging off the edge of the dash. If you prefer to mount the unit to your windshield, it comes with two small suctions cups attached to a small bendable bracket. When I tested to see how the unit would sit on my windshield of my SUV I found that the weight of the unit caused it to droop downward even after I adjusted the bracket's angle. I believe it was because the windshield in my SUV (Dodge Durango) is very slanted. Also since the suctions cups are small, they kept coming "unstuck". If it offered one big suction cup, I think the hold would be much stronger.

Some states do not allow items to be adhered to the windshield, verify what your state's regulations are. It is banned from using radar detectors in the state of Virginia and it's even illegal to have them in your vehicle. In New York State it is prohibited in motor vehicles weighing over 18,000 pounds or commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds.

UPDATE: I found the perfect dash mount to use with the Cobra XRS 9970G - the Radar Detector Car Dash and Windshield Mount. This offers more flexibility in how you want to mount the unit. The large suction cup keeps it securely in place and it even comes with a double-sided tape dash mount plate.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, August 24, 2010
touch screen is surprisingly spacious - and the ease of configurability is a real advantage over comparable detectors.

I got this more for the fixed location camera alerts than for the radar, and so far it has scored 100pct on that. I checked it against all the known locations the first night it came in, and on the way I picked up a few more I didn't know about.

The software (once you find it on the site - not the easiest thing in the world to do) works very well. It runs itself as a background utility which I recommend you remove from your startup if you need the ram, altho it's small and not a huge deal. The pro to keeping it in startup is that u can update the gps just by plugging in and it autosenses - the con is the little bit of ram, but to get around that you'd just have to run it from your programs menu then plug in (dunno if youd have to remove it from startup again; probably).

The radar functions have been good thus far - it kept me out of one potential ticket in the last week. I have not really learned how to work with the intellimute function yet, but I haven't had time to really read the details in the manual either.

All in all, if you can find this for just over $200, it's a very good product. I experimented with a device before it for just under a hundred that did nothing but find the speed and red light cameras, and it was pretty junky. It was a no-name brand that I was hoping would be an up and comer, but it turned out their software was so bad it rendered the device nearly unusable. That is not the case with the Aura dbase equipped Cobra. Right out of the box the fit and finish is excellent, and the functionality has been nothing short of superb thus far.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good first test for the Cobra XRS 9970G!, December 29, 2010
The Cobra XRS 9970G arrived as I was heading out the door for a two hour trip. I opened the box removed the device from its packaging got in the vehicle and powered it up. I did not attach the windshield mount which actually appears to be a coated metal with a couple of rubber stops that I believe are to keep the unit from "tapping" the windshield, it looks well designed and fits snuggly in the unit. I ordered a bean bag holder and it was being shipped seperate, if that does not suffice I feel the windshield mount may work although as others have mentioned the power cord will be maxed.

Three miles down the road in highway mode I entered my own small home town and was alerted with a "speed trap" warning! I felt it was slow in this warning for I was already upon the spot the local officer sits in waiting. I was however amazed that this location was even in the data base! Maybe on city mode it would have been ample time but I don't intend to be toggling back and forth as I drive. My sole purpose for the purchase was to remind me of this type of location, and all the new fixed locations that seem to be appearing as our cities and states try to find additional sources of revenue.

Further into my journey I did receive a "POP" warning which was generated by State Patrol and also a traffic alert as all oncoming traffic was being rerouted off I-80. I am not an excessive speeder, but I don't want to be caught napping.

After arriving at my destination I decided it was time to register the GPS and download the most current data from Aura. My laptop has a Vista operating system and this update was done without a hitch. No chance of entering the wrong SN either the site shows you a picture of the unit and asks again if your SN you entered is correct. Pretty fool proof.

The best feature I believe is the touch screen, yes its a little small, but how many screens is too many on your dash? The icons are clear and the alerts are as loud as you care to make them. For my purpose this is a great unit at a great price, the Cobra site lists the unit currently about $200 more than Amazon.

2/24 After having the cobra for two months I don't know how I ever got by without one. At twice the price I would say it has added value. The alerts are timely, even had it alert that an emergency vehicle was approaching... and then one turned in the intersection in front of me! Truly more than a radar detector, this thing is better than a spouse in the passenger seat! That being said...and in all honesty, it's incredible.

1.0 out of 5 stars EVERY indep. test out there shows the LOWEST Detection Range- PERIOD- but has gps/and great bells and whistles !, May 8, 2012

In summary: Tested this unit extensively myself in two long trips. Great camera detector/GPS function, so a 5 rating on all other bells and whistles, BUT did not have much of a range to detect radar, period. Thats a fact recorded in test after test from the independent pros you can look up on the internet.

THE MAIN PURPOSE: TO DETECT RADAR IS WEAK- scientific actual test by so many in comparison TESTS!!!! Tried to ignore that and love this unit, but I, a week later had to face the reality. This level of protection is avail for about $150. (yes, with GPS camera,etc- others have given the models, and are avail. on Amazon.com.

(ALL indep. test show this is a 1 miler, and the next group is 4 and the best is 9 !!! I explain below, its not the miles point, its that more miles equals more detection strength period- You often wont get 2 miles in on rating 9 miles due to variables, but that one rated 1 mile, this one, gave me 200 ft repeated !!! So, strength is what counts (and it so happens they can only do the road tests using miles and over the hill... etc. see below.

Additional (GOOD) information:

For this price, many others have the same range/performance (many standardized comparison TESTS by independents say ONE mile) and for the best rated in everything (like the escort 9500ix (paid $427 yesterday at At Amazon fulfilment-a used but NEW return, avail. reg. 487. to 499. (ret.), have 9 mile detection ranges! There are many variables. EVEN the one with the 9 mile may only give a 1.5 mile warning over a hill or if ...(many other reasons), SO, imagine this unit or the fancy Rad .... (which uses your cell phone as a display-nice idea, but again, no range, and has GPS red-light/speed camera/ locations too, for about $150, (SAME 1 mile range), when their are hills/obstacles/or the police car is BEHIND you (which in my TUNDRA with topper) may only alert when it is less than a block behind you within sight (with one signal bar) and within seconds (several times I was only doing about 30 mph, and he was doing 35 mph) jumps to 5 signal bars. WHAT if I was going OVER the speed limit, perhaps 80 in a 70? Too late, completely ineffective. So that HIGH range 9 mile tested radar may give me 1 mile (not a visual for the ofc. to be necc. (legally/policy) to write the citation) notice here, perfect! So, dont be fooled and think 1 mi range in those test is good when ALL others have a min. of 4 miles (in the next upward category). Over the hill, its not a 9 mile notice for none of them! Test show less than 70% detection at 1/4 mile on this unit for that! Others 97% of the time at 1/4 mile! Get the point. The numbers dont mean much (or do they?) , EXCEPT more range is your best chance at not getting a ticket!!!!

NEED GPS/RED-LIGHT/SPEED CAMERA? Now, my dilemma was that I wanted the BEST range that included GPS for red light camera detection. IF you can do without that need, the Bel str driver (SAME PRICE) rates marginally higher than the escort/passport 9500 XI (same price too- same company, and the same as BEL too I read- what a monopoly- and sneaky marketing strategy, most you buy will be owned by same co?)

BUT, most importantly, without gps/right light camera... ALSO, for mere $150. you can get one of the best detection rated (comparable to the BEST out there, with 9 mile detection too!) The Bel 995! or the Bel RX65 (a bit lower (marginal) detection range). Note the GX95 (has gps and is much more money)

So, if you have a budget and just want the best DETECTION, dont spend it on this unit, others that show a NINE mile detection range (remember its not really the stated miles, the test were under IDEAL straight-away, in-line conditions- BUT IT DID COMPARE DETECTION STRENGTH AND A 9 MILE VS. A 1 MILE (like this one, means something- as I noted in MY experience this week)

Google it for yourself: "RADAR DETECTOR TESTS" or "comparisons" , and many other terms, most will land you in the same four indep. testing sites, with all the brands model numbers! Interesting too, all those test, have similar RESULTS. Beware of the ones that have an interest in selling you a detector, they may be biased, check for documented specs on the results, most give you the comparison charts, explain the testing, etc.

See for yourself, bottom line this one and the Bel Rad for Android or I phone (great concept for a screen and app.) ALL show this one with a ONE mile detection range (again its only FEET under many conditions), while the next group shows a min. of FOUR mile detection, and the best group shows 9 mile detection! Again, dont get hung up on miles, what you need to note is the STRENGTH is weaker in this one and...

THE BEST rated by all is a BEL for about something like $1200 to 2k, that goes in the grill with a remote, BUT ALMOST SAME RESULTS AS THE 9500 XI, redline, and 955.

Also, I read that the BEL 995 (159. on ebay- is EXACTLY (made by same co that owns both) as the Passport 8500 (identical results in tests).

Oh, I must mention, YES one of the bells and whistles on this unit gx65 is lifetime camera updates free. Passport 9500 will give me 90 days, and then 19.95 a year, but an expert told me to simply update it when received, then on the 85th day. Then a year later buy the subscription and update it immediately and then make sure to do it again 11.5 months later, skip about a year in purchasing it (cameras are NOT updated that often- but for $20?- maybe worth doing, I will just skip 6 months to be safe) and do this cycle again, and always be almost up to date?

So, price and gps (red light camera data bank, etc. will determine decision , but get the best DETECTION ABILITY you can, not bells and whistles is my recommendation!

USER RATINGS? One last thing, as with ALL products, BUY the ones where the vast majority of the ratings are 4 and 5, ignore the 2% that give it a one, read them for entertainment, or to read that they are in another country and they are pissed that it was not written in the sales ads,or it arrived not working or they didnt like the instructions provided.

People will give the BEST radar detectors out there a ONE rating? THEY ARE CLUELESS and have false expectations contrary to testing and scientific evidence and reality and limitations! GO check all this out, and you will see its true. IF They simply write that they suddenly got a warning too late, once they saw the police vehicle and poss. got a ticket, so the expensive detector is useless and sent it back. ITS not a POLICE CAR detector, RADAR needs to be in the process of being emitted, duh! Cops do flick on and off the radar- likely what happened!!

LASER (cop standing over the hill, standing there pointing it directly at YOUR vehicle (very narrow beam) and nails you, as you get the alert- nothing works for this, except expensive jammers on the market!

Again ref. ratings: So, don't let those reviews with a few percent giving it a ONE rating ( I know when you see 20 or 30 ratings on ONE you become concerned, BUT dont if you see 350 with a rating of 4 or 5, (20 is insignificant- see my comment on clueless and .... above) don't let that throw you off. But, I have noted most cops in the City drive around with the RADAR ON, and I see them shortly after detection! IT WORKS!

Oh, Pet PEEVE now: Amazon LIED, they said buy it in x hours if I paid additional 1 day deliv fee .. which I did, and it will be delivered tomorrow. Said it even AFTER I purchased it, went to bed, woke up today and checked and its not being delivered until another DAY.

Calling to get my next day B.S. deliv day fee back !!! Why say it Amazon, "Buy within the next xxxx and receive it .... (paying extra)- NOT TRUE they lied? Calling in 5 min. to hear the excuse, but they should not make the claim and fool people and state it as a FACT that IT WILL be received by (unusual, rare exception and perhaps a plane crash? or common intentional misleading marketing/sale gimmick to entice buyers (as they did me !!

BUT, Amazon is taking the Cobra back and has taken other items back (they do keep some of the payment made to make you pay for shipping back though, but, OK!

Enjoy the review and if you think... mark it as HELPFUL, so others will go right to it !! Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price this is a great detector, January 1, 2012
i got this as a gift for my girlfriend for xmas.

I am no stranger to radar detectors, ive personally owned several whistlers and i currently have an escort 9500ix. with the price of the cobra being less than HALF of the 9500ix i was skeptical. i was not a fan of the external gps dongle, but it does have one hell of a party trick; it comes off and THAT is what you update the aura database on (unlike my 9500ix which i usually bring my laptop into the car, windows vm on my macbook, so its kind of annoying to do)

the software is MUCH better than the 9500ix, the 9500ix requires you to update the device itself...but the cobra software (once you register the dongle serial number and install the software) updates the dongle. once the software sees the gps dongle (via female mini-usb cable adapter) it will auto update the aura database in like 3 seconds and then exit. freakin sweet! you just bring the little gps thing inside and boom, 3 seconds later its done.

performance is decent enough on this, my 9500ix does do the auto ignore repeat alerts (which i love) but for a radar detector novice this touch screen model is about as high-end/easy as you can get. perfect match for my girl. cobra has come a long way and i DO think the aura database is better than whatever is in my 9500ix, but i live in michigan where we do not have speed cameras or red light cameras.

i would get another one of these...i can get two for less than one 9500ix. but that 9500ix is overall worth about 3x more than this unit because it still seems to have an edge in almost all areas other than the database (however during out of state trips my 9500ix did show nearly every camera i encountered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike R, September 17, 2010
Love the clarity and ease of use. The thing that struck me the most was the Camera notifications. I took a Trip to Arizona, when there is one coming up, its a green camera image, when you are on top of it Red is the color. It was right on everytime.
Easier to be alerted by a voice rather then a tone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality radar detector with an impressive feature set, June 24, 2010
Trent Steele (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's been a long time since I've had a radar detector in my car. The Cobra XRS is serious in that it has an impressive range as well as being able to detect various types of radar including laser. A number of features make it a winner for the digital age.

First off the XRS sports an OLED touch screen. For such a small screen, its surprisingly accurate to touch. I find that this type of interface really simplifies the look of the product as well as being able to display more information quite easily. However, I don't find myself ever needing to modify any of the options throught he menu system, which I suppose is a good thing. The menu system is easy enough to use and I have no issues with it.

The XRS includes a mini-USB jack, and it comes with a small GPS unit that plugs into it for directional and coordinate information. At first this seems kind of odd, but it serves a few purposes. First, when radar is detected, your speed is shown on the display. This is convenient so you only have to look in one place. Next, the GPS is also used with the AURA system for alerting you of speed traps. You plug the XRS into your computer via USB and load it up with speed trap information, and the device will use the GPS to alert you of possible traps. A nice feature in theory, but I have not seen it demonstrated in practice quite yet.

Up till now, most of the above features are fluff to justify the high cost. Where this unit really shines is in its detection capabilities. So far I've only really seen it demonstrated most often with the radar at toll plazas, which gives you about 100 yards or more -- enough time to slow down before you're in accurate range of the radar. I've also seen it pick up the radar in a cop car that had someone pulled over. This is significant because the cop must have still had is radar on, but wasn't actively using it.

When radar is detected, the unit alerts you with a unique sound for each radar band as well as a voice. After 5 seconds or so of alert, the unit drastically reduces the sound of the alert to prevent you from going crazy. The display shows the strength so you know how close you are to the radar. Each radar band has its own distinctive alert with increasing severity for the type of radar. Laser for example is a very severe-sounding alert because laser is really only used for speed traps and such.

The unit needs to be placed where the laser detector has a clear view of the landscape. So you need to put this thing up on your dash. I find that the included suction cup mount works quite well. I'm able to place the unit on the mount while resting the front of the device on the dash of my Honda Accord while still allowing the unit a clear view.

My biggest complaint with this device is the power adapter. The cable is a coiled springy type cable so it's too short to reach to the power plug without stretching. This makes it both ugly and annoyingly in the way. I actually take this product down a whole star because of the awful cable. I don't know what they were thinking with the design of that cable.

Other than that, I find this is a fine detector and I would highly recommend it if you got the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radar detector, June 22, 2011
Researched detectors before buying this one. Love it, but it is big. Take some advice and turn off the pop alerts, it will pick up other detectors. And don't believe what you may read in detector blogs. All bloggers think the only real detectors are Valentine, Escort or Bell. Don't believe it. This detector has never failed to let me know what is around me. Range is good as well. I've picked up police cars 4 city block away being buildings. Really does a good job. Bloggers will say Cobras aren't real detectors and if you buy a blister packed Cobra a Walmart, they are probable right. You get what you pay for. This Cobra is worth every penney. You'll read that Cobras leak and cause other detectors to give false signals. Again, if you buy a cheap detector that can happen...this is not a cheap detector. I've gotten false alerts too. But the couple of times I could see what was causing them, they weren't Cobras! One time it was an Escort and once it was a Bell. Has always picked up laser with no problem at all. If you buy this detector..you won't be disappointed.

Also, get the dash mount for the detector. The bean bag mount is perfect. I always used one for my GPS and now use one for the Cobra. Works great! Don't have to worry about sticking something on the window and leaves no telltale marks. When I park, just unplug it and stash both the detector and the mount. Very happy with both the detector and the mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars best detector yet, September 30, 2010
Edward W. Blistyak "isitever" (toms river, nj United States) - See all my reviews
this has been the best radar detector yet...the first one was a dud...but amazon took care of that real fast...they picked it up the next day...so i ordered another and it was worth it all the way.the touch screen is sweet....no more buttons....the sensitivity is 100 percent.and the red camera detector is 100 percent accurate...and with free liftime updates you cannot go wrong.i had 2 bell 995 detectors and they both went bad within 2 years....the sensitivity on this cobra is the same as the 995 bell...this unit works so well that i bought a second one from amazom.for the money you wont be dissapointed at all...it cost a lot less than the bell...and has over 2 times the features.all i can say is buy it and try it....eddie...

Rate and Discover Movies