4.0 out of 5 stars As good as units twice the price
Published on August 14, 2011 by Wally

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price.
Published on May 22, 2009 by James A. Bassett

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as units twice the price, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Cobra XRS 9945 Voice Alert 15-Band Radar/Laser Detector with Full-Color DataGrafix Display, Digital Compass, and Upgradeable Features (Electronics)
I recently took a 400 mile round trip with my Cobra and I was very pleased in fact it saved me twice from getting a $180 ticket so it more than paid for it self two times over. False alerts are very rare and it's very obvious by the strength that it's from a store. On a straight run on the highway I get about a two mile or more warning. On hills and curves that is cut down quite a bit but still enough time to slow down. I love the extra features like the compass and intellimute. The usb port for the gps module is great to have if I ever want red light camera capability. The size is a little longer that other radar detectors but the suction cup mount seems stronger that the $350 Escort I had and the unit does not shake like the Escort did. The coiled cord is nice and is a perfect length for my car. A long straight cord is available if anyone needs that.

Overall I'm very happy with the Cobra. It looks great and works great. What more can you ask for? Buy it. You'll like it.

(Update)
After enjoying the XRS 9945 for a couple of weeks I decided to get the red light gps module. Although I haven't taken any trips yet that encounter red light cameras, I really like being able to put in my own user alerts (up to 1000) and having my speed and more accurate compass available. I feel I have the complete package now.

(Second Update)
I don't know why people are bashing Cobra radar detectors. The XRS 9945 has worked as well as an Escort 8500 I had a while back plus it has tons of useful features. I read about a $500 Bell and how it knows the difference between non police signals and police radar (different freq's). My Cobra does that at one quarter the price. I had a low end Cobra from Walmart and a mid range Whistler and they were both junk. The only time they would alert to a police radar is when you were withing 100 ft. However they alerted to everything else. The Cobra XRS 9945 is not in that class at all. It is so quiet sometimes I think it's not working. It seems the way I have it configured, the only time it alerts is when it's a cop. Isn't that what we want from a detector? It is a quality, reliable product with tons of features for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this!, October 9, 2010
Saved a tone of money with this. I'll be honest and I am sorry for this, but I do speed on freeways in America. Sorry, but in my opinion speed limits are way too low here. It's hard to drive on Autobahns with no speed limits one day, and then the next thing you know, you live in America and you have to live with 55/65 mph. So to cut the chase, I've purchased this unit to avoid tickets and to replace my previous lower end Cobra that had a lot of false alarms.
Summary:
Fake alarms reduced by 90% (besides funny moments such as warning me of Train and Railroad when going to Safeway)
Voice warning comes handy
Detects highway patrol/cops from far far away, including their most advanced guns, thus saving you a fortune.
Beware some officers know their job well: Will not protect you from those smart officers, who know how to ticket you by tailgating you. No detector will help you against that one. Trust me I got ticket that way.
Checked legality with friend of mine who is an Officer and found out that these are not illegal in California. BUT:Keep on mind that seeing one in your car will certainly NOT make Officer happy, and it WILL put you in A bad light.
To conclude: Well paid off investment. I was supposed to be ticketed dozen of times w/out this. At least I am honest and hope that helps. But don't be me. I still don't encourage you to you to speed and drive unsafely. Be smart, at the end of the day all that speeding, will save you only 2-3 minutes. I promise to change, too.

P.S. If in need for speed: Go to the race track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price., May 22, 2009
James A. Bassett (Canfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Ok, let me start off by saying, " for a hundred bucks, it aint too bad!" It doesn't have the best range, but it does have a good deal of features to play with. It actually doesn't false too much more than other detectors I own (bel 955, whistler pro 78). Definately has less range than those two, but at least it mutes itself without having to push a button like the bel! That to me is a big issue. Reaching up to the window to push a little button while driving can be a little hazerdous! HaHa. It does have nice tones to it's alarms unlike the screeching bel and is fairly loud. It does have a nice coiled cord unlike the whistler which uses a straight one that flops around in front of my radio. The display can be tough to see in daylight at times. It seems to me, Cobra is just putting a product out there to make max profit! Where bel and whistler seem to put more emphasis on quality and performance. And the prices reflect it. That's really the difference here! Like I said, it's not bad for the price, and it really does detect radar albeit from less range than most. So if you're budget doesn't allow more expensive units, I'd say this isn't a bad choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and gets the job done, April 23, 2012
I bought this detector about a month ago and I am very satisfied. I live in a rural area and the only radar I have seen is the Ka band. I mostly bought this because my 2004 Ford Mustang doesn't have cruise control...crazy right...but anyways I didn't want to be caught when accidentally speeding along the many long winding roads I travel daily. For the Ka band radar guns this detector is amazing. It spots the gun about a mile away. However, the thing to note is it works this good when the speed gun is pointed in your general direction. If the cop is monitoring the other side of the road it will give you a warning within about a half mile to quarter mile away. This is usually when you can visually see the cop, but he's not interested in you anyway so that is more than enough time to slow down. As far as false alarms, this does pick up a few automatic doors and random interference every now and then, but the city mode works great to limit the false alarms. This is my first radar detector and if I ever need another I will definitely be going with another Cobra.

P.S: One thing that worried me was when I first got the unit there were some cops that it wouldn't pick up. However, I found out that not all cops keep theirs on when they are driving around and some even don't when they are sitting in the median looking like they are monitoring people. So when it is needed it works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will pay for itself, July 4, 2012
Just tried this out on an out of town trip today. After traveling through 3 states I had the opportunity to see what it could really do. I've used it in the city but since it will alert you to so many different bands it was hard for me to determine if it was really effective at picking up police radars. The device can be set to exclude certain types of radar so that you will get fewer alerts but I decided to turn everything on since I was testing the device. Well after today I can confidently say it does work. Of course I'm not admonishing unsafe driving but sometimes I like to drive a little over the speed limit especially if I'm on a long trip. The xrs already paid for itself because it saved me from 2 tickets at least. The radar detector picked up on 2 speed traps with ample time for me to react and slow down. I was also impressed with the range. One officer was set up almost 50 to 60 yards from the highway with his vehicle facing the oncoming traffic. The detector gave me at least 10 seconds of notice before I even saw him. I had to keep looking to see if it was a false alarm after it started beeping. He was that far away. Anyway this is an excellent purchase and it will pay for itself in saved tickets. Just remember to drive safely even if you decide to drive over the limit now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working great!, March 17, 2010
I never had such a thing to compare with, and was surprised when it worked, worked great (like other products from this manufacturer!). Can't say anything about the range of detection except that I was able to slow down when needed and in time! The only thing that annoys is false detections in the city, even in "city" mode there is lots of them. Overall I like it much, and will recommend to my friends!

EDITED 10.2012
This is almost few years I am using this device, and I have some new info that may apply also to other devices of this kind: we have newly installed radars in our city on the streets and I noticed that first few days I had firm strong detection signal when approaching them, but later after few days (maybe when they were calibrated for traffic or smth) signal became 1-2 points and not more. Sometimes it reacts on radars placed in police cars with a strong signal, other times it shows no radars. The conclusion is that or my device is old/defective/malfunction or smth else or there are so many cases with real life radars that buying a detector in just a case of chance :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Old, Somethings New!, February 23, 2010
The XRS 9845 continues the strong Cobra tradition of excellent sensitivity to speed detection, which is, after all, why we really buy these things. The combined audible/visible alerts are instantaneous and clear, and the Voice Alert feature removes the need to memorize which alert tone goes with which band... no small consideration when you're dealing with 15 bands. Of the six Cobra detectors that I have now owned, this unit's IntelliShield feature makes it the absolute best at blocking spurious alerts from "leaky" detectors in nearby cars as well as from things like automatic door openers and cell phone towers.
Thanks to the on-screen/voice prompts and the well-done owner's manual, customizing the programmable features is a snap. I love loud music on my Bose system when I'm in the car alone, and I could have used a note in the advertising about the decibel level of alerts at full volume. My primary problem with radar detectors has historically been difficulty seeing the display when bright sunlight was washing over it, but the blue ExtremeBright graphics on the XRS 9845 have resolved this for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Road tested and passed!!!, August 10, 2010
This is the best radar detector I have owned. I love the way that it indicates what type of radar it is sensing, as well as the strength of the signal. It auto mutes, but keeps you aware of the continuing signal much quieter, and with the visual. I love that the suction cups supplied with it are of a good quality, and are not constantly coming off! The only problem I had with it was that the instruction booklet was too small to easily read, but I emailed Cobra about that, and they enlarged the book on their copy machine and sent it to me! Great service!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radar for the money!, November 16, 2009
I got this radar detector after doing research on them for a few days. It was the best value out there for a radar that picks up so many different bands of radar. Thing thing has already saved me a few times from Sergeant D-bag. If you are looking for a good radar, then pick this bad boy up.

Note: Automatic doors may set off your radar. I get false alerts on city mode maybe 2 to 3 times a day in extremely busy areas with lots of stores that have automatic doors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cobra XRS 9945, April 7, 2011
Pros:
"LCD display"
Great detection
Tons of features
Accurate compass
Great alert distance also shows the proximity of how close they are
Able to Change colors of the LCD

Cons:
Large for a radar detector. Width is standard but it's a little longer than most.
A longer power cord would be nice to conceal wires.
Resetting the compass on occasion
After using the blue color scheme with the brightness level on "bright" for a month or two the city and high way symbol are lightly burned into the screen. Which means it's either a low quality LCD or it's not a lcd at all.
Needs to be a little bit louder

Conclusion:
Cobra products are either a hit or miss. This is definitely one of the hits. Great overall performance, has great features with a few short comings, and surely helps prevent getting speeding tickets. At this price point this is a great value overall.

Rate and Discover Movies