4.0 out of 5 stars As good as units twice the price
Published on August 14, 2011 by Wally

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price.
Published on May 22, 2009 by James A. Bassett

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as units twice the price, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Cobra XRS 9945 Voice Alert 15-Band Radar/Laser Detector with Full-Color DataGrafix Display, Digital Compass, and Upgradeable Features (Electronics)
I recently took a 400 mile round trip with my Cobra and I was very pleased in fact it saved me twice from getting a $180 ticket so it more than paid for it self two times over. False alerts are very rare and it's very obvious by the strength that it's from a store. On a straight run on the highway I get about a two mile or more warning. On hills and curves that is cut down quite a bit but still enough time to slow down. I love the extra features like the compass and intellimute. The usb port for the gps module is great to have if I ever want red light camera capability. The size is a little longer that other radar detectors but the suction cup mount seems stronger that the $350 Escort I had and the unit does not shake like the Escort did. The coiled cord is nice and is a perfect length for my car. A long straight cord is available if anyone needs that.

Overall I'm very happy with the Cobra. It looks great and works great. What more can you ask for? Buy it. You'll like it.

(Update)
After enjoying the XRS 9945 for a couple of weeks I decided to get the red light gps module. Although I haven't taken any trips yet that encounter red light cameras, I really like being able to put in my own user alerts (up to 1000) and having my speed and more accurate compass available. I feel I have the complete package now.

(Second Update)
I don't know why people are bashing Cobra radar detectors. The XRS 9945 has worked as well as an Escort 8500 I had a while back plus it has tons of useful features. I read about a $500 Bell and how it knows the difference between non police signals and police radar (different freq's). My Cobra does that at one quarter the price. I had a low end Cobra from Walmart and a mid range Whistler and they were both junk. The only time they would alert to a police radar is when you were withing 100 ft. However they alerted to everything else. The Cobra XRS 9945 is not in that class at all. It is so quiet sometimes I think it's not working. It seems the way I have it configured, the only time it alerts is when it's a cop. Isn't that what we want from a detector? It is a quality, reliable product with tons of features for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this!, October 9, 2010
Saved a tone of money with this. I'll be honest and I am sorry for this, but I do speed on freeways in America. Sorry, but in my opinion speed limits are way too low here. It's hard to drive on Autobahns with no speed limits one day, and then the next thing you know, you live in America and you have to live with 55/65 mph. So to cut the chase, I've purchased this unit to avoid tickets and to replace my previous lower end Cobra that had a lot of false alarms.
Summary:
Fake alarms reduced by 90% (besides funny moments such as warning me of Train and Railroad when going to Safeway)
Voice warning comes handy
Detects highway patrol/cops from far far away, including their most advanced guns, thus saving you a fortune.
Beware some officers know their job well: Will not protect you from those smart officers, who know how to ticket you by tailgating you. No detector will help you against that one. Trust me I got ticket that way.
Checked legality with friend of mine who is an Officer and found out that these are not illegal in California. BUT:Keep on mind that seeing one in your car will certainly NOT make Officer happy, and it WILL put you in A bad light.
To conclude: Well paid off investment. I was supposed to be ticketed dozen of times w/out this. At least I am honest and hope that helps. But don't be me. I still don't encourage you to you to speed and drive unsafely. Be smart, at the end of the day all that speeding, will save you only 2-3 minutes. I promise to change, too.

P.S. If in need for speed: Go to the race track.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will pay for itself, July 4, 2012
Just tried this out on an out of town trip today. After traveling through 3 states I had the opportunity to see what it could really do. I've used it in the city but since it will alert you to so many different bands it was hard for me to determine if it was really effective at picking up police radars. The device can be set to exclude certain types of radar so that you will get fewer alerts but I decided to turn everything on since I was testing the device. Well after today I can confidently say it does work. Of course I'm not admonishing unsafe driving but sometimes I like to drive a little over the speed limit especially if I'm on a long trip. The xrs already paid for itself because it saved me from 2 tickets at least. The radar detector picked up on 2 speed traps with ample time for me to react and slow down. I was also impressed with the range. One officer was set up almost 50 to 60 yards from the highway with his vehicle facing the oncoming traffic. The detector gave me at least 10 seconds of notice before I even saw him. I had to keep looking to see if it was a false alarm after it started beeping. He was that far away. Anyway this is an excellent purchase and it will pay for itself in saved tickets. Just remember to drive safely even if you decide to drive over the limit now and then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price., May 22, 2009
James A. Bassett (Canfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Ok, let me start off by saying, " for a hundred bucks, it aint too bad!" It doesn't have the best range, but it does have a good deal of features to play with. It actually doesn't false too much more than other detectors I own (bel 955, whistler pro 78). Definately has less range than those two, but at least it mutes itself without having to push a button like the bel! That to me is a big issue. Reaching up to the window to push a little button while driving can be a little hazerdous! HaHa. It does have nice tones to it's alarms unlike the screeching bel and is fairly loud. It does have a nice coiled cord unlike the whistler which uses a straight one that flops around in front of my radio. The display can be tough to see in daylight at times. It seems to me, Cobra is just putting a product out there to make max profit! Where bel and whistler seem to put more emphasis on quality and performance. And the prices reflect it. That's really the difference here! Like I said, it's not bad for the price, and it really does detect radar albeit from less range than most. So if you're budget doesn't allow more expensive units, I'd say this isn't a bad choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cobra XRS 9945, April 7, 2011
Pros:
"LCD display"
Great detection
Tons of features
Accurate compass
Great alert distance also shows the proximity of how close they are
Able to Change colors of the LCD

Cons:
Large for a radar detector. Width is standard but it's a little longer than most.
A longer power cord would be nice to conceal wires.
Resetting the compass on occasion
After using the blue color scheme with the brightness level on "bright" for a month or two the city and high way symbol are lightly burned into the screen. Which means it's either a low quality LCD or it's not a lcd at all.
Needs to be a little bit louder

Conclusion:
Cobra products are either a hit or miss. This is definitely one of the hits. Great overall performance, has great features with a few short comings, and surely helps prevent getting speeding tickets. At this price point this is a great value overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, November 23, 2011
Ashly (Eugene, OR) - See all my reviews
After recently upgrading to a bright red sports car I realized that with my lead foot, I needed to upgrade my 5 year old radar detector. Cobra is a great brand, they can be a little pricey but it's well worth the money. I've had this model for about a month and I've already tested it on a road trip all over California. It saved me from a few tickets so it's already paid for itself. One of the things I really like about this detector is that the screen turns off after a minute and when it does detect something, the screen lighting up can catch your attention even if you don't have the sound on. You can also set it to ignore certain signals so you don't have as many false alarms. This is really a pro for me since there are a few places on my way to work that set off the K alert and my old detector had no ignore option. Overall, I'm very happy with this detector and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perefect in all generalities, July 7, 2009
Bought this item after looking over many other different detectors. And decided on this one. Had a little trouble with hard hard wiring it to the under the hood fuse box but figured it out after a little tweaking. After that had no problems. Product had me extremely satisfied with its performance. Very sensitive when its needed to be, granted not many if any false alarms. And the programing the product allows just adds to another great aspect to this radar detector. Great price, great buy...

4.0 out of 5 stars cobra xrs 9645, April 9, 2009
comes set up right out of the box
very easy to use and set up just the way you want . works great very few false alarms. great radar detector for the price. if you by this radar detector im sure you will be as happy as I am with it since there are so many out there to pick from. the windshild mount is a little to small and the radar detector is about 6in long so it tends to bounce around over bumps. but all in all its well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, Sensitive & Safe, March 26, 2012
This radar detector has as many or more features than units costing two to three times more. It responds to all types of radar currently in use by police including "POP" & provides 360 degree detection from all types of laser guns. The XRS-9945 is immune to the VG-2 radar, "Spectre I," & provides alerts when VG-2 & "Spectre I/IV" are in use. The XRS-9945 also provides detailed messages from Cobra's exclusive Safety Alert & Strobe Alert warning systems that activate red lights at traffic intersections in emergency high speed situations. Be sure to follow the compass setting instructions carefully. I had to recalibrate mine on two different occasions to finally get it right. The display is very bright, colorful, & highly visible in all light situations. Very comprehensive package for the money. Call Cobra customer service & have them send you a set of rubber windshield mounts. The shiny, black plastic ones that came with the unit didn't work well for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Old, Somethings New!, February 23, 2010
The XRS 9845 continues the strong Cobra tradition of excellent sensitivity to speed detection, which is, after all, why we really buy these things. The combined audible/visible alerts are instantaneous and clear, and the Voice Alert feature removes the need to memorize which alert tone goes with which band... no small consideration when you're dealing with 15 bands. Of the six Cobra detectors that I have now owned, this unit's IntelliShield feature makes it the absolute best at blocking spurious alerts from "leaky" detectors in nearby cars as well as from things like automatic door openers and cell phone towers.
Thanks to the on-screen/voice prompts and the well-done owner's manual, customizing the programmable features is a snap. I love loud music on my Bose system when I'm in the car alone, and I could have used a note in the advertising about the decibel level of alerts at full volume. My primary problem with radar detectors has historically been difficulty seeing the display when bright sunlight was washing over it, but the blue ExtremeBright graphics on the XRS 9845 have resolved this for me.