4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've used, Highly recommend
Published on April 11, 2010 by Charles Joseph Simoneau

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor graphics and zoom funtion.
Published on January 17, 2010 by George T

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've used, Highly recommend, April 11, 2010
This review is from: Cobra GPSM 7700 Pro 7-Inch Widescreen Portable Truck GPS Navigator (Electronics)
The Cobra is the third GPS I have owned. It is the best yet. I am a truck driver who uses it to find my way around. It does a great job both visually and with the spoken instructions. The seven inch screen is a big plus. It is very easy to do comparisons between different routes. At the lowest zoom levels, 400 or 800, feet you know exactly when to turn, a nice feature in the middle of the night with no street lights around and no street sign easily readible.

It is easy to set up, but only comes with a "Quick set up guide" you have to go on line for more full featured information. I don't know if they have solved the problem yet, but when I first went on line I got the "Quick Guide", and had to e-mail Cobra and they sent me back the address of the correct place to find the manual.

It can be set to the exact type of truck you drive, number of axles, weight, length, height and so on. When the unit first turns on it asks whether you have a car or truck.

The features like zoom, turn list, change route options, change from 2d to 3d are easy to do. You have a choice of different screen colors. The information on screen as you drive is exellent and easy to read. Like most things, the more you use it, the easier it becomes to operate.

While I highly recomment this unit I only gave it a four star rating because I would like to see perfection (something I am afraid will never occur in a GPS).

At times it will not let me input the exact address I am looking for. This may have to do with with the mail address (one town) and actual address (another town), sometimes it thinks a road is shorter than it is.

The routing system used in not always logical and can add extra miles to your trip. Not a good thing driving a truck that gets under six miles a gallon, at three bucks a gallon. If you know the way, go for it. If not you can trust this unit to get you there.

Lastly pay attention, as sometimes the vocal instructions say go one way and the arrow on the screen shows another. In my experience always trust the arrow. I have had it not route me on a road because it thinks there is a weight limit (there is not) and have it route me on a road with a weight limit. Like I said before these things are nowhere near being perfect.

All in All, I really like this unit, and would recommend it very highly.

When I bought this unit I was in a hurry (my last GPS had just crashed) I ordered it a 4:30 pm on a Friday and it was at my front door 9:00 am Saturday.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor graphics and zoom funtion., January 17, 2010
George T (Northeastern PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit for to use primarily in a truck because of the large 7" screen. Right off the bat, I was disappointed because the screen resolution is very poor. While driving, as roads on the screen get larger, the poor resolution makes them blocky and jumpy. Honestly, I haven't seen graphics this poor since I upgrade my PC from CGA to EGA! My first thought was, Why doesn't the screen look as clear as it does in all the advertising pictures, and Why don't the colors match the nice crisp green that's shown Cobra's web site and elsewhere? So I called Cobra's tech support number, and was told that the product pictures on the web site and the product box and virtually everywhere else where only "artists concepts" and not pictures of the actual product! How's that for truth in advertising! Although the multi-stop trip feature is good (it does show both the mileage to the next stop as well as the total trip mileage) there is no way to sort or group your locations. If you've got a lot of locations inputted and you want to find one at the end of the alphabet, you've got to scroll through the whole alphabet to get there. May not be a big deal to some, but it is annoying. Here's the worst thing about the unit, and the thing that made me finally get rid of it... you CAN NOT zoom in or out while in navigation mode. The ONLY way to change the zoom level is to leave the navigation screen, go to the set-up screen, change the zoom setting, save your changes, AND THEN SHUT THE UNIT OF AND TURN IT BACK ON! Totally unacceptable! I like to keep the unit zoom out so I can see intersections and ramps coming up a mile or two away while on the highway, and then zoom in down to city block level when in the city or a more urban area. I've got two other units, a SONY for the car and now a Rand McNally TND-500 for the truck and this is a standard feature on both units. Bottom line... unless your virtually blind, stay away from this unit (and if your eyesight is that bad, you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.)

1.0 out of 5 stars cobra gps 7700, May 1, 2010
thought i was great very expensive and splurged...took me 3 weeks to figure out how to work it. menus and book to use it are confusing..gps will route you extra miles. send you to bridges that are ok to go under and tell you they are low. will not tell you when you will get to a low bridge. Map is not current when u buy it so u will look like you are flying in the air going on the overpasses from one interstate to another. best thing is it tell you the miles you will have left to go... perfect for a new driver needing to plan his trip. but the worst thing about it was mine freezes up and stops working i reset it for 4 or five times in the month i had it then it crashed and i tried to reset it and it will just turn on to the opening picture with the truck on it. i cannot get it to work. it is garbage untill i can get it fixed and luckily i have a car gps to get me there. there are others saying theirs freezes also. its awesome when it works..but ..i wouldnt buy this again for sure and i dont reccommend it to anyone untill this glitch is fixed..got to get pc miler will try that one next...

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Choice, May 17, 2010
I purchased this item mainly being after being attracted to the large screen. The processor is so slow it will drive you crazy. The graphics are really to coarse for the screen size. Important features are missing compared to the Garmin. A better choice is a Garmin 465T which is a great choice for Truck or RV usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, January 2, 2010
BEST GPS FOR TRUCKERS...

I looked at many gps systems and found COBRA to probably be the best. I wanted a large screen because I didn't want to have to squint or try and make out where I am going at freeway speeds on a four inch screen. This one is seven inches and that is easy to see. I can push enter my settings or searches or I can use a remote. I can sit back and use the remote to go where I want. Ease of use is there... for locations I can set it to home and push hoome and it goes there. If I like a place where I am at... I add it to favorites and then I can go there again and again... if I have searched for something and gone there... forgot how to get there or don't want to put in a big complicated search... I go to recent searches and voila... there is is and I click on that... and then it finds it and then GO TO and it tells me how to go there. I have always been a little indimidated by gps systems... and the other guy things was I don't need one... I can do it. I tell you... I have driven up into Canada where everything is FRENCH... and this thing told me step by step how to get around... it even offered me a baggette. Look... this is a great system... I actually bought two from amazon for they had the cheapest price.... I bought a portable one for my Moms car and I actually bought one for my truck that is permanent... but has no monitor... it works with the monitor I have and the sound comes out through my speakers and I can adjust it through my speakers... as to the sound on my Moms... I seriously thought it was going to be very weak... Not at all... it is perfect... you will have problems listening at all. For my Moms... she calls her Mrs. Worthington... because I did the English accent on hers... and mine is Sally because she just has a American accent... if there is such a thing. Bottom line... you will get VERY VERY lazy with these... you will not pay attention how to get to places and therefore you will not remember how to get there or learn it. You will GPS it every single time... that is the only bad thing about these that I can see. But if you do it a few times... to the same place... you will start to remember but then what fun is that if you don't hear it say... in 1.5 miles... turn right... nothing is cooler than that. I will never go back

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., December 10, 2010
Overpriced and under-performing.
Both wife & myself found this unit illogical and cumbersome to use.
POI's are non existent.
For some reason this so called truckers GPS takes stupid and unneeded detours, you would think to stay on approved truck routes, NOT SO! For example: On the California coast I was routed off the major Hwy to a sharp hairpin turn, the detour took me through the small town of Castroville and then back onto the Hwy I was just traveling on, this routing was totally retarded! BTW there's not any car options on the vehicle list, so don't plan on using the 7700 Pro in your truck and changing over to use in your auto. You will need two GPS's.

We have owned and enjoyed Garmins for many years, and I'm sorry to say we wasted money purchasing this Cobra 7700 Pro, I was thinking that 7' screen is a perfect size for pilot and co-pilot to see. It never occurred to me that the GPS would be crap, Corbra has such a good name in communication products how could I go wrong?

Well I'm sorry I purchased this Cobra 7700 Pro it needs a ton of work to make it comparable to even the cheapest Garmin products.
It's back to Garmin for me.

Folkie.

2.0 out of 5 stars lost with gps, April 25, 2010
have a gps unit that will have you drive 47 miles out of route. maps that dosn't show road that have been around for a long time. and very poor custmer service from the people that make this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars ERRORS IN COBRA GPS MAPPING, November 8, 2014
ERRORS IN COBRA GPS MAPPING - My place of work, located on a dead-end, very narrow roadway, off the very END of this piece of Kansas Avenue, has been getting a LOT of unwanted truck traffic as a result of navigation errors in your Cobra GPS mapping database.

We continue to document dates, times, truck numbers, trailer numbers and license plates of wayward drivers/loads coming down our road, and we are considering a lawsuit to recover for damages to our roadway (not constructed for semi tractor trailer rigs, etc...), our trees, etc... soon. We have been giving out information slips to drivers, too, encouraging them to sue for damages incurred to their trucks as a result of your mapping issues. We are also in contact with businesses who are hiring these drivers, letting them know that Cobra has mapping issues in our neighborhood.

Please ensure that Kansas Avenue west of 110th St (any address nearby (Bonner Springs/ Edwardsville/ KCK? whatever city a REAL mapping program finds us in) is no longer found as a destination when drivers are trying to get to 5000 Kansas Avenue (Associated Wholesale Grocers), and other places MILES EAST of us.

Thanks,
Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Truckers Toy, February 6, 2010
Bought this for my son, who is a semi truck driver. He goes all the western states. Needed to know the main streets that would allow a 18 wheeler to pass through. This was perfect. The price is about $100. less than purchasing at a truck stop and the Cobra brand is the best!! My son is very pleased with his new Cobra GPS. He loves the big 7" screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7700 gps, March 24, 2013
I love this GPS from Cobra. I use it when I go over The Road everytime. Works well no complaints.