Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cobra HHROADTRIP 40-Channel CB Radio
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Model Number: HH Road Trip|Change

on November 12, 2006
I purchased two of these units for our emergency "go" kits and regularly carry one in the truck.

I like the size and features where you have both CB and weather channels, the hot swap between services is handy as is the CB channel 9/19 hot key. The noise filter does work and gives better reception under some conditions.

Some limits I've found: The antenna designed for use with the unit in CB hand held mode limits communications to under a quarter mile line of sight in my case and the magnetic vehicle antenna will go about half a mile. I'm looking for a better mast antenna for the vehicle.

The weather channel reception is comparable with my scanner.

One thing that I didn't realize when I purchased the radios, and this would have made a difference to me, the A/C charging adapter is NOT part of the package and must be bought separately so if you want to stay off of the battery charger merry-go-round I recommend buying the charger when you buy the radio. Be aware also that the power cord provided for use in a vehicle does NOT charge the radios batterys.

What I really don't like and almost caused me to return the radios: These units use 9 - "AA" batteries, I purchased 18 rechargable batteries - about 5 bucks each, I hadn't purchased the chargers with the radios and ended up buying the biggest stand-alone battery charger I could find locally, all of the chargers I found work in paired sets and mine handles 8 at a time, so 9 is a real pain.

Tom
55 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2006
Handheld CBs are the most useful of all two way radios. Although a CB handheld's range is not equal to a GMRS radio, but greater than an FRS unit, more people use CB than GMRS and FRS combined, especially while on the road, so assistance is within easy reach. And no license is required like a GMRS. To boost your range while in a car, use an external antenna. This will make your range equal to a mobile CB, plus make recieving signals far easier; making this radio a viable alternative to a permenant mount mobile that is difficult to move from car-to-car. The NOAA weather reciever is a great feature. With 7 NOAA and 3 International (Canadian) channels, weather info can be had anywhere with this radio. I recommend this radio to all CB'ers, especially hunters and fisherman who communicate with buddies while outdoors.
33 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2007
We had to take a long roadtrip during some questionable weather. I wanted to have a CB in the minivan so I could listen to truckers, learn about traffic problems, and hear about road conditions. Also, I wanted a weather radio. This unit had the features I desired. It was quickly delivered and worked fine out-of-the-box. I used the included 12v adapter and kept it powered up during the whole trip. I used a roof mounted Cobra antenna (A1500) coupled to this radio via a BNC-to-Standard adapter. Because I didn't know what language I'd hear over the CB, I also got a earphone/microphone combination that plugs into this handheld. This setup worked great on the trip. Range wasn't wonderful - probably about a mile or so. But I did not have the equipment to set the SWR of the antenna so I wasn't too surprised. (An internal SWR meter would have earned this 5 stars.) Would I get it again? Yes, the setup worked out fine for us. Truckers could hear me fine (if within range) and I could hear them. It was nice listening to weather radio also.
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2006
We have two of these, we keep one in my wife's car and the other in mine. Our main use is to monitor traffic back-ups (delays) on the Interstate. For this purpose, it works great.

For more regular use, I would recommend getting the external (magnet-base) antennae. This significantly boosts both the reception and transmission. I carry one of these antennaes in my trunk for longer trips. There are not many choices out there for hand-held CBs -- Based on what's out there, this seems like a good choice.
on April 28, 2004
The radio is great for what it is. I bought it because I wanted a cb that I can use in more than one truck. The only draw-back I found is when the power cable and the cable for the magnet-mount antenna are both attached it can be hard to handle. I like the fact that the radio has all the additional stuff like the 10 NOAA channels and the high/low power switch and that the display is digital. This is a good buy but if you are going to use this in only one car or truck I would go with a hard mount cb because you don't have to hold the whole thing. But over all a good buy for the money.
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2007
The Cobra HH38WXST Handheld CB Radio is an excellent radio for anyone looking for something portable and well-built. This radio claims to have a 4-mile range, but it seems to be closer to 2 miles in the woods, and 5 miles in an open city. I also purchased the extension antenna from Cobra, which extends to 27". This will increase your range dramatically. In the woods, near the lake, I can talk to truckers over 15 miles away. I can easily hear the drivers 8 miles away, and you can quietly hear the drivers approximatly 15 miles away. The only problem is that you may be able to hear that far, but you must be within 4 miles of that radio to talk to them. It is all in the reception.

If I had the option to recommend this product, I will tell everyone in the market for a Portable CB Radio. If you are planning on using it for a base unit, though, look for one with an external antenna and mountable. This radio does not pick up well in vehicles without the optional Car-Mounted Antenna, which I have not tried as of yet.
on October 3, 2011
If you don't have an external antenna you will only hear others that are close by. I use this for 4 wheeling my Jeep & there is usually about 12-14 of us in a group back to back and I can only converse with those closest to me. I leave it on channel 19 on the HWY again can only hear those close by (usually right behind me or right in front).

What is nice about this unit is that it can use batteries or you can plug it into your cigarette lighter (cord does come with it, but is hidden in the package, so be sure to find it before discarding the packaging. I've had mine since 2007 and use it 3-4/yr.

Also, be careful of it falling over on the "talk" button. Thankfully we weren't talking about anyone when it happened to us!!
on December 9, 2006
In no way am I down playing the heroism of James Kim in trying to save his family but! It's ironic, a guy that into cutting edge technology, that poor family stuck in the wilderness resulting in a death; would not have happened with something as simple as the "ANCIENT" technology this radio provides. How? Getting directions from truckers, calling for help. Maybe 4watts in not that much but at night atmospherics do strange things. On a clear night and from a lofty postion its possible to increase your radio range. The 2 sources of power the radio provides will save your bacon champ.

Where there is no cellphone reception or (god forbid) natural disaster this unit and a separate scanner will save your sweet bee-hind!
The supplied magnetic antenna will do for initial use, this radio is rated a FULL 4w, same as a hardwired unit. I purchased a longer magnetic roof mount at Kragen auto parts for $12, the exact same one at Rat Shack sells for $30. Reception improved dramatically. Fer such a small unit it delivers the same features as a full size one.
1) Signal strength bar indicator(a biggie).
2) Illuminated channel display
3) Battery life indicator(they last forever)
4) Channel Scanner feature
5) Weather bands
6) Sound Tracker Technology
7) Power Saver mode
This is a simple to use Radio, the wiring with all the jacks, antenna, 12v power gets clumsey. Channel changing is clumsey too. The key is located directly on top of the channel selectors, accidental keying will occur. This unit works. Living in SF no one uses a CB. That will change come the next "big one". To talk to people I drive to the nearest freeway and talk to truckers.

For the price are you kidding me. Buy it.
66 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2006
Before I got this radio, I had a similar model from Radio Shack. That was an expensive piece of junk --- it wouldn't receive even when I was right next to a transmission. I wrote to Radio Shack with a complaint, and they never replied. This Cobra is one fine unit. Even with the inside antenna it performed very well and even better with the magnetic mount external. I was recently on a long road trip and I was able to avoid a lengthy traffic jam due to hearing about it in plenty of time. The only negative is the nine-battery configuration --- that's an odd number to buy. A good investment for any road traveler.
VINE VOICEon February 19, 2010
This CB Radio is identical to the model sold as the "HH Road Trip". For a dollar more, the latter model also includes a magnetic rooftop antenna with coax cable. The radios are the same, down to the model number inside the package, the manual, and the FCC type certification.

I think Amazon should tell users that the HH Road Trip includes an antenna for the same cost, and is the same product. Otherwise, they should reduce the price of this package to account for the lack of a magnetic mount antenna.