4.0 out of 5 stars Installed and running on Windows XP
I purchased the Coby DP-151 PhotoViewer, even though I read the reviews claiming the software didn't run on Windows XP, because I found the other reviews quite favorable, and I could always install the software on my wife's Mac.
Published on December 9, 2007 by Ed

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer works with Windows XP or below
Published on November 7, 2007 by Lorna E. J. Ernst

4.0 out of 5 stars Installed and running on Windows XP, December 9, 2007
However, after experimenting on my XP laptop, I found the instructions were missing a few steps. Here's what I did to get the software working:

1. Plug the PhotoViewer into a USB port to fully charge the battery.
2. Install the software from the CD.
3. When the PhotoViewer is fully charged, disconnect it from the USB port
4. Re-start the computer.
5. Plug the PhotoView into a USB port. The screen on the PhotoViewer prompts for either USB charge or USB update. Select USB update.
6. Run the program installed in step 2. It should now work.

I found it fairly easy to select, size and download photos to the PhotoViewer, and am quite impressed with the quality of the display for such a reasonably priced item.

I hope this information is helpful for other XP owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Photo Viewer, September 27, 2007
S. Lee (Tiverton, RI USA) - See all my reviews
I just received this LCD Photo Chain from Electronic Express and I was able to install the software and quickly update a handful of pictures in less then 15 minutes. The Picture Viewer program was fairly easy to use. Just pick a bunch of pictures on your drives, add them to your collection and then upload the collection to the key chain. Adding more pictures to collection later on was no problem. There is a counter on the program that will only allow you to store 62 pictures max.
As far as picture quality goes for the tiny LCD screen, I have to say that I am fairly impressed. It was relatively bright and colors were vibrant! The 128x128 pixel resolution was sufficient for viewing and it didn't seem that grainy as compared to other LCD keychains. The best comparison of the picture quality would be to a cell phone screen with 1 megapixel images.
The make of the LCD viewer is sufficient for me but I am not sure how well it would survive key scratches and ocassional drops to the ground since the plastic feels little cheap. The buttons to power on, slideshow mode and forward & backward were intuitive.
All in all, this makes a great gift for someone who loves gadgets and is somewhat tech savvy if they are going to upload images themselves. You definitely need a connection to a computer in order to charge its internal battery. I've enjoyed showing this to the guys at the office and its a sure winner as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars It won't work at first, but KEEP TRYING, December 13, 2007
Lots of people will tell you this won't work on XP or Vista or other operating systems. I had so much trouble at first I was going to send it back. I even called tech support and the operator said, "I'm probably not supposed to say this but these are not very working very well."

BUT, I kept trying, and lo and behold--it DID work! First load the software. Then plug it in and select "USB upload." You have to literally keep plugging and unplugging the device until you get that little miracle beep that signifies that your computer found new hardware. Until you hear that, keep plugging and unplugging! The software will NOT work unless it is plugged in and found. But load it anyway, and wait for the lovely beep.

After that it works very easily. And it's beautiful!

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer works with Windows XP or below, November 7, 2007
I bought three of these for gifts and planned to preload them with family photos. I have Windows XP. The CD that you load only offered Vista or the program for a Mac. I called Coby and they said that it shouldn't be the case as it advertised that it works with Windows XP. They had me open two of them to check. They then suggested that I return them. I am hoping that Amazon will let me send them back even though they are opened. I can only assume that Coby is switching to Vista only for the PC but hasn't revised any of the instructions or promotional material. How disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, August 6, 2007
Pros: Fantastic quality...almost as good as a camera LCD. The LCD screen is large enough to actually see the pictures clearly. The price..20 bucks is great! Heavy duty clasp on the chain makes me feel safe that I won't lose it.

Cons: A little thick at .5", screen scratches quite easily(kind of expected though)the manual is awful and you cannot rotate a picture in the software without cropping (not a big deal either, just rotate in a different program)

First of all, let me give the dimensions of this little bugger. I was skeptical of buying at first because I couldn't find accurate dimensions, but when I got the device I was pleasantly surprised. It is approximately 2" wide, 1.5" tall and .5" deep. A little thick compared to other models but it makes up for it in quality.

The quality of the photos are first-rate for such a small screen...I was thoroughly impressed. They are comparable to a digital camera LCD (this device is actually better than my mom's camera LCD!)

One downfall, the manual is awful- I didn't even bother reading it. Just plug it in and use your instincts with the software. I was a little confused at first because all of my pictures were cropped to fit the screen...I soon found out that I needed to check the box that says "whole image". Then I could see and add the entire image.

Surprisingly, when you crop the photos using the software provided they turn out as clear on the display as the original image. This impressed me as the other photo keychain I have loses quality drastically when the image is cropped.

***One tip..if you want your photos rotated and not cropped, use a different program first. That is one downfall of the software. In order to rotate a picture you must also crop it. Not a big deal though, just use different software to rotate first.

I would recommend this device to anyone. Makes an excellent gift for grandparents!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, fun to have!, October 5, 2007
What a fun way to carry your photos!
I received my keychain just a few days ago and couldn't wait to play with it! It took just seconds to load the software, plug in the camera and start loading pictures. The software is simple to use and allows easy cropping & rotating. The screen is small - just about 1x1.12 inches - about the size of a large thumbnail image but the quality is surprisingly good.
Sure, it's not something you would use to archive your family history but it is a fun "memory keeper" for holding reminders of good times, friends and family.
The screen surface could get scratched easily with standard use (hey! it's a keychain!) so I took a strip of clear package sealing tape and put it over the screen for protection. This easy solution works great on most electronics and doesn't interfer with the image.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this Gadget, August 3, 2007
I have very much enjoyed this littl eeasy to use but the only thing that stand up to the 5 star test was the screen. It does tend to scratch easily. I had hoped since it's a keychain that they had found a way to minimize the ineviteble scratch factor. Otherwise, I simply love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Technical Difficulties Resolved, December 3, 2007
C. Thomas "Courts" (Christiansburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this as a gift for my mother. Although the picture quality isn't great it's about what you would expect for the screen size and price. Overall I'm pleased with that aspect of the product.

I had a hard time making this work on my (Vista) computer but the key was to 1) install the software 2) plug in the key chain via the USB and 3) select update FROM THE KEY CHAIN SCREEN. That opens the PhotoViewer program so that you can add photos to the key chain. If you try to open the program directly from the desktop or from the start menu you get an error message. This should be more clearly explained but it did solve my problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never worked, November 12, 2007
Sadly, you can't rate somthing ZERO (or I would've!) I was really looking forward to getting this item as a gift for my mom. I thought it would be great for her to carry around digital photos of the kids, grandkids, etc. Unfortunately, the unit NEVER WORKED. I tried to install the software provided (I followed the manual step-by-step) and my computer would not recognize the device. I went to Coby's website (as indicated in the troubleshooter protion of the owner's manual) but found no FAQs regarding this type of device. I did, however, find a software download for this model number, so downloaded that and installed it. My computer will STILL not recognize the device so I called tech support. A very unenthusiastic woman talked down to me for a few minutes before finally telling me that they "have a lot of customers calling with this complaint" and I should just return it and try a new one. She was basically NO help to me (and a bit rude with the patronizing tone). I'm returning it and don't think I'll bother with a new one. I'll find some other clever gift for mom. Thanks for nothing, Coby.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and very cheap, February 1, 2008
Bought this for my wife for Christmas and she thought it was cute and liked it. Now, only a month later, the blasted thing won't shut off and will not upload any new pictures. Sur it will let you delete as many as you want that are already stored on it... and though there should be room in the end... no dice... spend the extra bucks.. get something nicer.

Coby 1.5-Inch Digital Photo Key Chain (Black)
$29.99 $10.59