5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET AT A GREAT PRICE
Published 23 months ago by BP

Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:27 Mins
December 12, 2012.

Published 23 months ago by A. Chang

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted Nov 28, 2012 - Dec 12, 2012; then charging pin broke off., November 28, 2012
This review is from: Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 4.0 4 GB Internet Tablet 16:9 Resistive Touchscreen, Black MID7034-4 (Personal Computers)
Length:: 8:27 Mins

December 12, 2012.

Forget all the nice things I had written and said about this tablet. While they all still might be true, it's all useless when the charging pin breaks off in the tablet with less than 1 month of use time. The moment I saw it, I knew that it could be trouble, but I convinced myself that I wouldn't have a problem with it because I'd be gentle each time I put the charging adapter in, or took it out. I'm left with a 60 dollar paperweight now, because since it won't charge up - I can't do a factory reset, and if I can't do a factory reset...well, I'm not going to send it back to get a refund.

I tried with this device. I really did. I knew it was the best, or the greatest, or the most sleek. I found workarounds and compromises just to get AmazonApps to not crash. I even bought an on the go cable to see if I could hook up different peripherals.

Well, I guess you live and you learn...I'm keeping the video up as well as the observations I had previously made because I don't want to discourage you all from giving it your best shot with this device. I truly don't think I was being heavy handed with the tablet - maybe just bad luck, maybe bad manufacturing, maybe a bit of both. The good news is that the tablet takes up no more space than a PS3 or Xbox360 game, and like I said earlier - there are some games I've previously purchased for 60 bucks that I got even less use out of. So there we have it. Goodbye, Coby 7034-4. Hello, Nexus 7. Maybe.

********************************

November 28:
This is my first video review for Amazon - I thought it'd be a lot easier to show some of the functionality of this device rather than write it all out. This is meant as a 35,000 foot view of what the device can (and can't) do. Some immediate thoughts:

Pros:
- syncs e-mail fairly seamlessly such as Gmail and Yahoo, but they're generic IMAP clients (may not matter to some of you)
- able to go to Amazon.com from browser and download AmazonApps (a note on this later about optimization for the device)
- through Amazon app store, was able to download Netflix and install without an issue
- light weight
- Youtube works fine through the native browser, and even faster on Dolphin, which you can download
- paid 60 dollars for this device on Cyber Monday
- has expansion micro SDHC slot
- was able to open .pdf and .doc files without any issues

Cons:
- Charging is through adapter only, and NOT with the included USB cable (that is for data transfer only); this will bum some of you out with a lot of spare usb cables around
- 4 gigs is realistically 1.4 gigs or so (but you can expand with memory card)
- Resistive touchscreen as opposed to capacitive (may not matter to you, and germane only to the 7034-4); I find the learning (regressive, though) curve to be a bit difficult having multiple devices with capacitive touch screens
- No camera at all (may not matter to you)
- No bluetooth (may not matter to you)
- There are device with better build qualities (may not matter to you)
- Lower res screen means no HD on some video apps, which may not matter to you
- AmazonApps crashes regularly, but there is a work-around to this (see below under November 30 updates). This inconvenience is really the worst of the traits, at least to me.

***************
6-hour testing review: Review has been bumped from 4 stars down to 3 for these main reasons:
1) Not enough QA/QC went into making sure that all of the menu options made sense. Specifically, I've found at least two typographical/grammatical errors in the pop up menus. One lists internal stroage[sic], the other was with one of the auto update functions that used poor grammar when trying to express the notion of "Found update - do you wish to update?"
2) For some reason (and it may just be a 'doy' moment), I can't get the Google location services to work. I wouldn't ever truly need this function, but when I downloaded the weather channel app and hit "my location", I was met with a "no can do." Same thing happened when I went to Google maps in the browser. I've ensured that Google locator services are on, as well as the option to ask for location in the browser.
3) The outer corners of the resistive touch screen give me the most problems. Although I calibrated the coordinates a few times, I still have a few problems in the upper and lower corners, even when using a stylus. Maybe this is something that I'll just need to practice on, but it seems a little harder than it should be.
4) The default text looks "grainy" in the browser. Someone had suggested increasing the font size, which helped - but it's not really practical and it doesn't maximize the potential for even a 7 inch tablet.
5) With somewhat sparing use, I've drained 70% of the battery in around 2 hours. This may be commensurate with what some of you all were getting as well. This doesn't bode well for me if I need to take it on a trip; however, I'm looking at the usage, and wi-fi accounts for approximately 40% of the usage, so there are probably some behavioral changes on my part that can be employed to extend the battery life, i.e., not auto re-fresh my e-mail so often, turning off wifi if I'm not using the device, etc. Nonetheless, I don't perceive a 3 hour usage time to be anything extraordinary. I hope that this metric gets better as I completely drain and recharge the battery with each cycle.

November 29th Update: 10 hours of use time

1) First, I'm getting better at using the resistive touch screen. I'm still the least precise around the extremities, but much better with it than I was yesterday.
2)I mentioned yesterday that Amazonapps crashed on me, and I was able to replicate it a few time (inadvertently). I think that the issue is this: when you download and install an app from Amazonapps, the system will ask if you want to open the app up at that moment, or if you want to be "done". The correct thing do to is to hit "done" first, and then repeatedly hit "back" till the system goes to its home screen. There's something goofy (memory issue?) if you try open up a newly installed app, and then go back to the Amazonapp store. As an aside, I've also found it convenient to keep the Amazonapp installer in the active downloads, in the event that I have to uninstall and then reinstall Amazonapps. A further note - Amazonapps is not optimized to fit on the screen - if you go to the menu where you can access your subscriptions and your previous downloaded apps, the boxes are truncated. Yes, you can figure it out within a few moments, but that's another FYI that you should be aware of. In other words, the pop up menu for AmazonApps on this device doesn't look quite right, but it's not unbearable.
3) The battery life has seemingly gotten worse today. I let it drain completely last night, and then kept it on the charger all day and I've gotten a scorching 1 hour and 3 minutes with 25% battery life left. Yikes. The caveat is that I've run it pretty hard today, so maybe it makes sense.
4) Downloading thumb keyboard (version 4 I think) has helped me with composing e-mails. I think I'm so accustomed to the keyboard size of my phone and ipod touch that when the pre-installed keyboard was presented to me, it overwhelmed me in the sense that it spanned so much space, and I found myself tapping keys very slowly. The thumb keyboard has helped me become more efficient, as the keys are now the same size and the key blocks are at the same spacing as my smartphone. It was 2$ or so well spent. I've still not been able to resolve the "." shortcut using double space after a word or sentence. Even with the function enabled, I'm unable to get it to work; this is a minor gripe though, as the thumb keyboard has a period in a convenient spot. Moreover, you're able to customize a row of quick keys to your liking so if you want the period at the top, so be it.
5) Locator services still doesn't work. This may be a lost cause, and although the manual classifies this device as not having GPS - I would have thought that locator services through google still would have worked based on my wifi. Like I said, I don't really have a cogent example of when I would need locator services as I often have my phone with me. I've tried the locator services on the newest version of Dolphin too. No dice.
6) Speaking of Dolphin - it seems to run a little faster than the default browser. I tried it with gmail, facebook, espn, and the cbs chicago home page. Seems to have less "twitchiness" than the default browser, and the text looks marginally better.
7) Lastly, with respect to the e-mail application - this is not a true "Android" in that it doesn't sync all of your google accounts. Rather, the e-mail server is a generic IMAP account, not unlike the one that may be available to you on your pre-existing device. I find it easier now to just go to gmail.com in Dolphin and compose messages.

November 30 Update:
1) I can personally confirm one accessory that will work. There is a screen protector sold by an Amazon Marketplace vendor that works with the 7034-4. The link is as follows: Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector for Coby MID7012 7 inches Kyros Android Touchscreen Tablet, 2 Packs Although this is marketed for the 7012 by the vendor, I tried putting it on the 7034-4 and it worked perfectly.
2) For funsies, I may order an on the go cable to see if I can hook up either a mouse or keyboard. Not that I'd ever really need one, but it may be fun just to see how many accessories will actually work with this device.
3) I've decided that this is more of a 2.5 star device, but since we can't give half stars, 3 will have to suffice. My little "trick" with Amazonapps ended up not working consistently, so I was left with an Amazonapps that would crash every once in awhile. My solution? Go into the ES file explorer and mark the Amazonapps installer as a "favorite" (long hold the installer icon when you get into file explorer), and then add the file manager to the home screen of the tablet (long hold the file manager icon). When Amazonapps crashes and refuses to reload, I uninstall the program, go to my home screen, and hit the ES file manager, allowing me to reinstall in less time. It's not the most elegant of shortcuts, but it is what it is, unfortunately.
4) I'm not sending the device back, because as I've mentioned before: i)60 dollars isn't that bad. I've bought much worse video games for the Xbox360 and PS3 for 60 bucks, and ii) I've invested quite a few hours into learning the device. Would I do it all over again if I knew what I was getting into? Mmm...probably not. I mean, heck - the base Kindle Fire is what, 160 dollars now, and I definitely saw it discounted to 130 a few days ago for the holiday sales period. I envision myself giving this device to one of my nieces or nephew when s/he is a little older. Provided they wouldn't have to ever go into Amazonapps on their own (mom and dad could do it), it would make an ok multimedia device that wouldn't end it catastrophe if it were dropped on the ground a few times.

December 6th, 2012 Update
1) This will be a short update today, but I received the On the Go (OTG) cable today that I had ordered. The cable works perfectly, and I'm actually typing this right now on the tablet while using my regular USB keyboard. I imagine that if you had a wireless setup, you would be able to use both a mouse and a keyboard. So yes...I've personally confirmed that you can use a keyboard with this device., albeit a full size keyboard like the one I'm typing on now would be a bit odd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true?, December 7, 2012
I've owned a few inexpensive Android tablets but I never got much use from them because the processor was either too slow or there was too little RAM. My desire was to purchase a tablet to use as an electronic "sketchpad" but these early Android tablets were just too crippled to be any good.

I own an iPad2 which really is just a marvelous device. My biggest gripe is that Apple devices are tied to iTunes and the capacitive screen is designed for finger touch. Most iPad styluses have a fat nib which replicates your fingertip. I consider a stylus for drawing on a tablet to be a necessity (though I've certainly seen people create beautiful artwork on an iPad using only their finger as an input device). Drawing with a fat nib stylus is like drawing with a crayon or pastel stick. It's great for something more painterly but not great for tighter drawings created with a pencil or pen.

When I found the Coby Kyros tablet, I was intrigued that the tablet could be ordered with either a capacitive or resistive screen. Generally, resistive screens are frowned upon but they allow the use of a narrow pointed stylus which can more closely mimic the feel of a pencil or pen. Given the low price, I felt like this tablet wasn't going to kill me financially if it didn't meet my expectations.

The first thing I noticed is that the tablet is all plastic and feels cheap compared to an iPad or other Android tablets that cost more. However, the build quality hasn't given me any trouble other than it feels like a toy (and at this price point, you could certainly make the argument that it is a toy).

I was able to get the Amazon app store installed and download some drawing apps but after a recent app update, the Amazon app store doesn't work properly anymore. The tablet's built-in app store has a decent selection of apps but certainly not the wide selection that Amazon or Google's Play app store provide.

I was able to install Google's App store by googling the phrase "Root and Gapps for telechips, 7032,7034,7036,7048,8048". This will lead you to an article with instructions to download a patch and instructions to install the Play store. Any modification you make to your tablet will void your warranty so you are performing this modification at your own risk. If you follow the instructions properly, the patch certainly opens up a whole new world of possibilities for the Coby tablet.

Given the build quality and modifications needed to gain access to more apps, is the Coby tablet worth it? I feel the tablet works surprisingly good! Android 4 is very slick and the "Infinite Painter" app I like to use works great. Be forewarned, the app works best in portrait mode. You can use it in landscape mode but some problems arise with the interface. I was not able to install "Sketchbook" onto the Coby. This is unfortunate as I consider this to be a benchmark drawing app available on both iOS and Android platforms.

At first I found that the resistive screen had too much resistance to my stylus (I use a large Nintendo DS XL stylus). There must have been glue residue from the plastic screen protector because once I cleaned the screen, the resistive screen works very nicely.

Beyond sketching and drawing, this tablet also makes a cheap Kindle once you install the Kindle app. The app is very responsive given the resistive screen technology. I haven't tried any games but I'm certain this tablet has sufficient specs to play most low-end games well.

The biggest drawbacks are the build-quality and battery life. With WiFi off and the screen brightness set low, I only get about 4 hours of battery life. I haven't tried any movies or games but I would imagine that battery life will plummet the more the tablet's resources are used.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase as it fulfills much of what I wanted to do with it. It's cheap and it doesn't really measure up to an iPad or other higher-end Android tablets. For the $80 I paid, and the modifications I made to allow access to the Google Play store, I consider it money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET AT A GREAT PRICE, November 20, 2012
I ORDERED THIS TABLET FOR MY GRANDSON FOR CHRISTMAS AFTER READING THE REVIEWS THAT I WOULD TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS DEVICE. IT ARRIVED YESTERDAY(TWO DAYS AFTER I ORDERED IT, WHICH WAS GREAT) IT COMES WITH A NICE SLEEVE, CLEANING CLOTH, CORD, ETC AND INSTRUCTION BOOKLET NICELY BOXED. SINCE THIS IS A GIFT FOR MY GRANDSON, I WANTED TO TRY IT OUT FIRST. IT WAS FULLY CHARGED OUT OF THE BX. THE SCREEN IS CLEAR, EASY TO READ WITH NO PROBLEMS. COMES LOADED WITH APPS. ALSO, THE SCREEN IS VERY RESPONSIVE TO SLIGHT TOUCH. I THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD NEED A STYLET. IT IS LIGHT AND EASY TO HANDLE. I KNOW THAT MY GRANDSON WILL BE VERY EXCITED ON CHRISTMAS MORNING. I AM GLAD THAT I ORDERED THIS LITTLE TABLET AND I GOT MY MONEY'S WORTH. ANYONE WHO EXPECTS MORE SHOULD PROBABLY ORDER A MORE EXPENSIVE TABLET. WILL UPDATE THIS REVIEW IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AFTER IT IS USED. NOTE: ORDERED AT AMAZON SO FAR, I GIVE IT FIVE STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's what I was looking for., December 10, 2012
I bought 2 of these for my kids for Christmas. They came in a timely manner, and are what I was looking for. Since my kids are 7 and 3 I wanted something I could load up with tons of games, take it off of Wi-Fi and let them play with them on our long car rides to see the grandparents each week. I have played with both tablets every night for the last 2 weeks and have run into no problems. I have an iPad and there is NO comparison, but if your looking for something simple and keep your expectations realistic for a device under $100 you will be pleased with this tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, December 6, 2012
I ordered two of the Coby Kyros tablets as a Christmas present for my girls who are 10 and 12. I was looking for a tablet that wouldn't break the bank. This one fit the bill perfectly. Amazon shipped it fast and in perfect condition!! I am not technically savvy, but was able to have this connected to our WiFi in a minute or so. It comes with google play (just type it in and sign in) and get jar. I am sure my girls will be able to find every app they could possibly want. All in all, this tablet performed beyond my expectations. A lot of tablet for an awesome price. I like it so much, I wouldn't mind ordering one for myself!! Update 12/07/12 1 mobile will supply all the apps that get jar does not have.( was looking for netflix) I was totally wrong about the Google play. According to Google, if your device does not come with Google play pre-installed there is NO way to download and install it yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!, November 27, 2012
I got this tablet in August 2012. Everything worked pretty well with occasional freeze ups that were remedied by the reset button. In October, the tablet suddenly started freezing at the coby logo and would not work beyond that. The power button does not even work! It has to be turned off by the reset button. I spoke with coby customer service today-after determining that the tablet needs service- DUH!- the rep emailed me instructions for returning directly to coby. Well that would be fine, but the instructions include ME paying 15.00 to ship this hunk of junk TO coby and enclosing a 15.00 MO to pay for return shipping. Hell no! I already paid almost 100.00 for this defective product, and they want me to shell out another 30.00 to have it fixed while under warranty? I will be steering clear of coby, and I will be much more selective in what I order from amazon, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% satisfated whit this purchase, December 4, 2012
I recommend this product. Its very quick and pretty light weight. Arrived in perfect conditions.
The price was chipper than local stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel substitute for your laptop, December 1, 2012
As many reviewers have already indicated, this is a very affordable substitute for your laptop when traveling. A few dozen pictures and songs and the ability check email and respond was all I wanted. I tested it in airports, restaurants, and homes of relatives over this past thanksgiving. It worked as advertised. It does all I need and more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Tablet for the Price, November 20, 2012
I purchased this tablet as a Christmas gift for our 10yr old. I received it today. I have not been able to download any apps using the GetJar app store. However, I downloaded the app for the Amazon App Store and that is working great. The amazon app store actually is more like Google Play and it has more apps than GetJar. I found that is was difficult to scroll the screen without selecting something by accident. I used one of the extra Nintendo DS styluses that my kids have and that worked way better. Overall with using the amazon app store and using the stylus I am now satisfied enough to give this to my daughter on Christmas. Without those two changes, I was ready to box it back up and send it back.

Update 11/26/12: The Amazon app store had stopped working. I had to uninstall it, along with the apps that I downloaded because they will not operate without the Amazon app store on the device. The tablet speed has slowed how, it will not play videos, and the screen for the internet browser went black and white. Could not find anything in the setting to fix that, so I did a master reset and it did fix the browser. However, this is too much for a 10yr old to deal with. I know once she experiences so many problems with it, it's gonna get put aside never to be played with it again. I am returning it today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, buy something nicer., February 2, 2013
Mac (Vancouver, WA, US) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my 5 year old for Christmas thinking about saving money on video games by downloading free apps instead... On first impression its nice looking the screen is crisp the hardware is adequate however there are some major downfalls.

Downfall number 1: No google play, you only have getjar which is extremely limited in comparison after about 3 hours of downloading game apps prechristmas for my kid I pretty much expended the entire library of decent games...

Downfall number 2: The screen is reactive such that the "touch screen" is actually a glass touch pad that covers the LCD screen itself the screen registers force applied and is horribly inaccurate and requires an annoying amount of force to function. This is absolutely nothing at all like an iphone or your typical smart phone if you just touch the screen like you would a phone this thing will have no idea you are even touching it. Its really quite horrible.

Downfall number 3: So its about freezing outside 30-35 degrees my wife leaves the thing in the car and the "touch pad" collapses on itself just shatters... Replacement cost was approximately the price of the tablet itself.

Downfall number 4: after the "touch pad-screen" broke I buy a micro usb mouse to run the thing allowing my child to continue using it without the touch capability 2 days later upon pushing the connector of the mouse into the port the port snaps off the board rendering it useless. Got a total of about 15 days of use out of this thing (it was never dropped or damaged aside from sitting on the passenger seat of my car on a mild portland winter night).

Please save your money and buy a fire or something this thing is one hundred percent useless.

Basically what COBY did here was say exactly how cheap of a tablet can we make that functions enough to get it out of our door and into someone elses at which point it will no longer be our problem. It looks like a nice tablet, it sounds like a nice tablet on paper, but it is not a nice tablet.