4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good budget tablet value
Published on November 1, 2012 by Bron

Just got it today, so I am giving it a 4 star (sadly last update Jan 2013, I had to reduce 2 stars from my review) and will update this review as I use it. Here goes...

Published on October 30, 2012 by Lara

2.0 out of 5 stars Just got it, no Google Play, but Netflix can be installed. UPDATE Included!, October 30, 2012
Lara (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 4.0 4 GB Internet Tablet 16:9 Capacitive Multi-Touch Widescreen, Black MID7036-4 (Personal Computers)

I was eye balling the new Ipad (yeah, I am all things Mac), but honestly could not justify the $500+ (already have a macbook air that I can slip in my bag) for simply needing a tablet that can stream Netflix and perhaps some kids apps. My daughter loves watching Curious George, hence I needed a reasonable tablet that can keep her busy while visiting my workshop.

I got this after reading the reviews for Coby Kyros MID7015 Coby Kyros MID7015 7-Inch Android Internet Touchscreen Tablet - Black - so I knew many had said no Netflix (because there is no Google Play for this little guy), but I took a gamble (after reading that some people found a way around the no Google Play issue) and ordered the new version (MID7036-4) anyhow.

Connecting to wireless was a breeze, the MID7036-4 comes with an app called GetJar, which will allow you to download many of the apps I was looking for, such as Netflix. However I went ahead and downloaded 1mobile (dot) com and downloaded Netflix, Angry Birds with ease. I used GetJar to download some puzzles and kids educational apps for my daughter.

Netflix has been working without any issues and so did the Angry Birds (ahem, for me!). I have to admit, I was sure it was heading right back, but there is a way around no Google Play.

Wanted to do a quick review for people in my shoes, looking for a compact tablet that was reasonable and was for Netflix etc...

Please note that this is not an Ipad (or similar high end tablet) equivalent as far as resolution goes, but it is perfect for my needs. resolution is good enough, the touch screen is very reactive and functions great, the size is just right and has fit my Kindle Touch cover with ease.

I will post more as I use it. Hope this helps :)

Small Update / Nov 2nd, 2012
1. The battery life is about 2-3 hours while using Netflix.
2. Connects to 2.4G but not to 5G band on my router.
3. Connects to my Macbook Air and allows me to drag and drop music, photos with ease.

Update / Nov 20th, 2012
1. Connects to my Windows (Sony laptop + other desktop) and I can drag movies and photos with ease.
2. Can download Kindle reader from 1mobile(dot)com and read my kindle books (attaching images on the product for you all).
3. GetJar app that this comes w does not have a lot of the apps I can get from Amazon or 1mobile
4. Can add the tablet to my Amazon account and use the Kindle Fire apps.
5. Can set parental control w/ the Android Parental Control app.

Update / Nov 24th 2012
1. Installed Amazon Appstore, nice addition to my Imobile app store.
2. Email set up: Was a breeze, I clicked email icon and entered my gmail address and followed the screen instructions. Email synced and works great.
3. Downloaded Youtube app from Imobile (looked for it under the Amazon Appstore, but could not find it). Installed Youtube and it works great.
4. Can open PDF files w/ Adobe Reader that is already installed in this tablet. There is also Office Suite in this tablet.

Next up, testing the battery life for Kindle books :)

Update / January 4, 2013 (Down 2 stars!)
1. Kindle book battery life time is about 3 hours.
2. The power jack (dc input) socket on the tablet is fragile, awkward and flimsy at best. It needs a light hand to plug the power adaptor (in order to charge). If you allow your youngster they may break this when pushing the power adaptor in. Knowing what I know about this tablet's flimsy power jack socket, I'd not be able to suggest this tablet whole heartedly (unless you have buyers protection w/ your credit card, like I did, and can get an easy refund incase yours breaks under 90 days).

COBY, how could you skimp on the power jack socket? Not cool at all! :/

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good budget tablet value, November 1, 2012
Like the other reviewer, I had been considering the earlier model of this device, but due to the small price difference, it made sense to go or the latest model with the capacitive screen. The unit comes nicely packaged with a printed manual, a slip case, a micro fiber cleaning cloth (small), a USB cable, AC charger, the tablet, and and some other cards, offers, and info. All in all, a good quality box and package making for a nice first impression.

I charged the battery and then turned on the tablet. It booted up quickly and I set up my wifi connection with no problems at all. Pretty much like any Android tablet. There are a few basic apps installed (music, video, email, gallery (pics/vid, YouTube, etc.) and the GetJar app market. You can read all about this under the 7015 (Coby Kyros MID7015 7-Inch Android Internet Touchscreen Tablet - Black)reviews, so I won't repeat it here. As others mention, you can use the 1mobile, Amazon or other app stores, and you can also download app packages to your PC and transfer them to the 7036 and run them to install. (I will update once I've had more time to install and test additional apps.)

If you used any of the larger automobile GPS units, this device will look very familiar. The screen quality is similar, but fine for this price point. Viewing angles are acceptable, contrast and black levels are not as good as pricier models, but are acceptable for this price. One plus is that this unit has a USB port (for pc-tablet data transfers) and a micro SD card slot. Many cheaper tablets do not. The screen flips to the proper orientation quickly as needed and as expected. I like having the physical (back) button on the right side (in normal landscape mode). You also have the usual touch screen functions, of course, but this sits right under your thumb and is very convenient.

The 7036-4 has 4 GB internal flash, 512 MB RAM and a decent 1 GHz processor. The screen is not as good as those on higher priced tablets, but it is acceptable. 800x600 would have been better, but 800x480 is good enough for video/photos. Text suffers though. The touch screen works fine and is very responsive. The case is plastic and the unit is fairly light weight, but the quality seems fine for the asking price.

There is no camera in this model (the 7048 includes one for only a few dollars more), however, the thing I really miss is bluetooth. Bluetooth allows the easy connection of external speakers and wireless headphones. You can buy Bluetooth adapters that can plug into the headphone jack, but this is not nearly as convenient, especially since the headphone jack is, unfortunately, located on the bottom, right corner of the unit. Not sure what they were thinking, but it is not a very convenient location, in my opinion. (Well, it's OK if you use this primarily holding it in your hands, but if you put it on a stand as I often do, it's a minor problem.)

The Android 4 ICS OS installed is pretty much vanilla which is fine with me. I felt right at home (I have several other Android devices.) I have both smaller and larger units, this medium size unit is a good size for portable video viewing. The sound is OK, it's mono (only one speaker), but quality is good enough, though most people will probably use headphones. No GPS, but wifi location works as expected.

Summary:

*** So far, this device is meeting my goal of a smaller, more portable Android tablet. My Thrive is way better, but it's also bigger and heavier. So for "grab and go" trips around town, this is a better choice. Plus if I drop or loose it, less pain than if it were my much more expensive Thrive (which I love, a super tablet). ***

-- 800x480 Screen quality is OK for the price (not great, but acceptable). Videos look pretty good, but text pixels are readily visible (see update below*). Viewing angles acceptable. Black levels adequate. Average quality, but good enough for this price.
-- Performance is snappy overall.
-- Build quality seems OK for the price point.
-- Android OS is great. No proprietary "tweaks" that I noticed.
-- Nicely packaged with slip case, cleaning cloth, USB Cable, charger, etc.
-- Has a USB port and a micro SD card slot (often missing in cheaper tablets)
-- Painless setup right out of box. Booted up and worked fine.
-- No camera, no GPS, no Bluetooth (alas!)
-- Videos played fine and looked good. YouTube HD vids work fine. SD Netflix played fine.
-- Mono speaker, but good enough in a pinch. Headphone jack available, of course, and stereo sound quality was fine when I plugged in my external stereo speaker.
-- Lightweight, portable, feels solid enough.
-- Excellent value for what you get - good bang for the buck.

(*Text: I went into settings and changed the text size from "normal" to "large" which greatly improved the quality. Not that much bigger, really, but better size for this resolution and looks much "smoother" to me.)

Update: I was able to install 1Mobile market (Update: I replaced this with Amazon App store which works better, for me anyway) and then apps like Pandora, Google Maps, App2SD, and so forth.

Based on my usage so far, it appears battery life will be between 4-6 hours. Best guess is 5 1/2. Will update once I can confirm. (Confirmed that I am getting roughly 5 hours of battery life, more or less, depending on use. Can get 6-7 hours or more with light use, turn screen/wifi off while playing music, but 5-6 hours seems reasonable. Will be less if streaming video full time, of course. Lara in her review indicates 2-3 hours.)

Update: Was able to install Amazon App store and installed Netflix which works fine. Amazon app store seems a bit better and more reliable than 1mobile. Both work. To use Amazon you must have an Amazon account and register your device (email). You get an email with the apk which you can then install easily. The email has step by step instructions. Works much better for me than 1mobile.

I've had a few minor issues with the touch screen, but mostly me getting used to it. Have to go a bit slower and more carefully than on my Thrive. Size difference of course. Have installed a bunch more apps from Amazon store and they have all worked fine, no problems at all.

Update 11-19-2012: This has actually dropped in price recently. Mine is still working great and I am very happy with it. An even better value now.

Update 2013 Mar 07 -- still working fine and no complaints. This is my "backup" tablet -- but I often grab it first for trips where I don't want to risk my "good" more expensive tablet and it always gets the job done.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is inexpensive..., November 9, 2012
Well, for what it costs, it's just barely tolerable. I bought it to test developing with Android. For that purpose, as a lowest common denominator device, it works fairly admirably. On the other hand, this is nearly the bare bones minimum you need to do Netflix / surf the web / play games etc. This thing is just barely fast enough to play Netflix SD. For light web, book reading and email, it would serve pretty well given the price. I plan on buying one for my Mom, and maybe as a treat for one of my kids if they do well in school. But it's certainly no Nexus 7 or iPad. But hey, it is cheap as all get out, and it works, so that's pretty hard to argue with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tablet for the money, November 9, 2012
Nice tablet for the money. There is an error in the product description. It says the Coby Kryos has a USB2 port. It does not; it has a micro USB port and comes with a male/male micro to USB2 cable. If you plan to use it with a keyboard case, I would recommend you buy a male micro USB to female USB2 adapter when you buy the tablet. There are two ways to get that adapter: by purchasing a whole adapter kit from BestBuy for about $15 and end up with a bunch of adapters you may not need, or order it on-line. They typically only run you about $3 if you go the on-line ordering route.

Pros:
* Intuitive to use. If you've ever used a modern smart phone, even one that is not an Android, you will have no learning curve.
* Decent built-in speaker. I have a Kindle Fire and the speaker on this little $90 tablet is noticeably better.
* nice, responsive touch screen; not too picky but didn't require multiple touches to get it to respond to a finger swipe, either.
* Ran most of my Kindle Fire apps just fine so I didn't have to re-buy many.
* Nice selection of free apps available on the native app center.
* Accepted the 32 gig micro SD card I scavenged out of my old Palm Centro just fine.
* Docked right up to my main computer just fine and transferred file just fine. Downloaded Office Pro quickly and opened the Office docs I transferred to it just fine.
* Light weight so using the on-screen keybord was actually pretty comfortable, unlike the heavier 7" tablets I've used.
* Pretty good speed at web surfing and handled You Tube, Hotmail, and Face Book just fine.

Cons:

* I really wish it had a USB2 adapter.
* Didn't really match the pictures displayed exactly.
* It's not as fast as my Kindle Fire, so if you are looking for high-end performance, you might be disappointed.
* Picture quality leaves a bit to be desired but is ok for most uses. If you primarily want to watch movies on it, you might be disappointed.

Conclusion:

I didn't want yet another gadget but I needed access to Office while my big computer renders 3D animated scenes. Quite frankly, if the Kindle Fire could be docked with an external keyboard, I would not have bought this one. That being said, it's a pretty decent little machine for the money. It's not an iPad, but then again, it didn't cost nearly as much as an iPad, either. If you want a basic tablet PC that won't break the bank, this one is a good choice. I only gave it 4 stars because of the fouled up description.

5.0 out of 5 stars quit whining, December 10, 2012
I got this for my 3 year old so he stops stealing my phone to play angry birds and to watch youtube videos of mario. This is really nice, and now I want one for myself. People need to quit whining about the play store or cough up the money for the samsung tab. This is a nice tablet, touch works great, and my son will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, December 12, 2012
I bought this tablet after seeing it in a local market where I live, but not being quick enough to get one before the stock ran out. Finding it on Amazon for only $3 more, I quickly snatched it up!

First of all, I knew that with buying a cheap tablet that I was going to get a "cheap" tablet, but I do have to say that this tablet turned out way better than I expected. Of course, it doesn't come with the Google Play Store by default, but if you're tech savvy enough you can work your way around this (like I did). The resolution is a little watered down, but it still looks good for a 7" screen. The touch part is quite responsive and I've yet to have any real issues with the touch screen. It's a snappy, good-looking tablet for $83. The sound is a little lacking as well, having only a single speaker on the device. But for me, this is not a problem as I rarely ever use my tablet without headphones.

My only real complaint I have with this tablet is the battery life. I use my devices pretty regularly, and heavily, so my experience might be different from yours. But the life I've gotten out of it so far is around 4 hours, and that's with heavy gaming, web surfing and the screen brightness set to max.

All in all, if you're looking for a tablet to play with and try out but don't want to fork out some serious cash, I'd say definitely get this one. I'm actually thinking about buying a second one for my wife so she'll leave mine alone, haha!

Coby Kyros MID7036-4

1.0 out of 5 stars Charging port defect (and it looks like it is not just mine), January 3, 2013
Bought this for my teenager and she was so excited but then became frustrated because she could not get any apps. We found a app store for her and she fell in love again and has played it daily since Christmas taking optimal care of it. She was in tears last night when she went to charge it and the charging port thing pushed inside the tablet and now is a useless piece of junk. I went on coby's website to find out what to do and found out that in order for them to replace/fix this I have to send them a $6 money order for return shipping, I think Coby should be responsible for all cost associated with this because this seems to be a big issue with this product. Type in charger in the reviews for this product and you will see the real problem with this product.
I would highly recommend not buying this product (may be worth $10). If you do hold your breath every time you go to charge it because it will soon snap off inside and be useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, January 12, 2013
Charge port broke off the main board after a week of use. Cheaply made with cheap materials. Next time I will be buying something better made. Even something made from plastic should not have the internals break after a week of normal use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer service from the Coby, October 13, 2013
I bought this tablet in December 2012 as a gift for my daughter. Two months after receiving it, the part where you plug it in to charge just caved in. I called Coby and they said I could send it to get repaired for free, just send a $15 money order so they could ship it back. I followed their instructions, and sent the tablet in March. It's now October, and I still haven't gotten my tablet back. I've called several times but every time I call I get a different story. It's always some lame excuse, followed by "Your tablet will get back to you within a few weeks". 5 times now that "few weeks" has passed without my tablet coming back. If you are thinking about buying this, just take a look at Coby Electronics facebook page. [...] It's so bad they had to make it so people couldn't comment on their page. But read the comments posted on ANY of their posts. My problem with the company is not just a fluke....Don't buy this. You are better off spending a little more on something from a more reputable company. I lost out on the $100 I payed for it, the $15 I spent shipping it back to them, and the $15 I sent with it so they could ship it back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cost-to-Quality Ratio for the Price, November 26, 2012
B. Ellis (Lexington, SC) - See all my reviews
Full disclosure: I'm a Kindle Fire (1st Gen) owner who lost track of one of his compact-sized MP3 players. In wanting to purchase a new MP3 player with the potential for upgraded storage (via MicroSD) I stumbled across this little jewel on Amazon. It now serves as an MP3 player (32GB MicroSD holds plenty of music) and general-use tablet for the house. By adding the Amazon App Market (Amazon has instructions for this on their site), I've been able to download my Kindle titles as well, for when my girlfriend would like to read them or when the Fire's charge is low and I don't want to be tethered to a short cord. For the price, I'd say this was well-worth the purchase. A few caveats:

◘ The screen is nowhere near the quality of the first-gen Kindle Fire, much less its newer iterations. Viewing at a slight angle seems reminiscent of first-generation plasma/projection TV's, where one has to be directly in front of the screen and center-level to see absolutely everything. The resolution is much lower than any current $200-range tablet offering, but let's be honest...you won't buy this for watching HD movies/television programming, and even so, you still can use it for this purpose...just don't expect to be blown away by the low-quality images. On the bright side (pun not originally intended), you can adjust the brightness output to make the screen more visible. The "touch" functionality is not top-notch...it is a bit rough-around-the-edges, if I'm honest...but for what you can do with this tablet, it's a small sacrifice.

◘ Sound quality from the built-in speaker is "OK" at best, but much better if you plug in some external speakers.

◘ Battery life is decent...if I only use this for playing music and the occasional web-browsing, a charge can last most of the day. I imagine you can run this battery down in under three hours if you watch videos continuously.

Bottom Line: For the price, this is a great little tablet. Perhaps if you're looking to get a tablet for a young person and you don't want to drop $200-$400 on a "mainstream" tablet, this will not only provide the basic functionality, but will a little extra work (installing the Amazon App Market, for example) it can grow with that person as time progresses. Otherwise it makes a great around-the-house reader/media player/web browser.