Top critical review
574 of 584 people found this helpful
Just got it, no Google Play, but Netflix can be installed. UPDATE Included!
on October 30, 2012
Just got it today, so I am giving it a 4 star (sadly last update Jan 2013, I had to reduce 2 stars from my review) and will update this review as I use it. Here goes...
I was eye balling the new Ipad (yeah, I am all things Mac), but honestly could not justify the $500+ (already have a macbook air that I can slip in my bag) for simply needing a tablet that can stream Netflix and perhaps some kids apps. My daughter loves watching Curious George, hence I needed a reasonable tablet that can keep her busy while visiting my workshop.
I got this after reading the reviews for Coby Kyros MID7015 Coby Kyros MID7015 7-Inch Android Internet Touchscreen Tablet - Black - so I knew many had said no Netflix (because there is no Google Play for this little guy), but I took a gamble (after reading that some people found a way around the no Google Play issue) and ordered the new version (MID7036-4) anyhow.
Connecting to wireless was a breeze, the MID7036-4 comes with an app called GetJar, which will allow you to download many of the apps I was looking for, such as Netflix. However I went ahead and downloaded 1mobile (dot) com and downloaded Netflix, Angry Birds with ease. I used GetJar to download some puzzles and kids educational apps for my daughter.
Netflix has been working without any issues and so did the Angry Birds (ahem, for me!). I have to admit, I was sure it was heading right back, but there is a way around no Google Play.
Wanted to do a quick review for people in my shoes, looking for a compact tablet that was reasonable and was for Netflix etc...
Please note that this is not an Ipad (or similar high end tablet) equivalent as far as resolution goes, but it is perfect for my needs. resolution is good enough, the touch screen is very reactive and functions great, the size is just right and has fit my Kindle Touch cover with ease.
I will post more as I use it. Hope this helps :)
Small Update / Nov 2nd, 2012
1. The battery life is about 2-3 hours while using Netflix.
2. Connects to 2.4G but not to 5G band on my router.
3. Connects to my Macbook Air and allows me to drag and drop music, photos with ease.
Update / Nov 20th, 2012
1. Connects to my Windows (Sony laptop + other desktop) and I can drag movies and photos with ease.
2. Can download Kindle reader from 1mobile(dot)com and read my kindle books (attaching images on the product for you all).
3. GetJar app that this comes w does not have a lot of the apps I can get from Amazon or 1mobile
4. Can add the tablet to my Amazon account and use the Kindle Fire apps.
5. Can set parental control w/ the Android Parental Control app.
Update / Nov 24th 2012
1. Installed Amazon Appstore, nice addition to my Imobile app store.
2. Email set up: Was a breeze, I clicked email icon and entered my gmail address and followed the screen instructions. Email synced and works great.
3. Downloaded Youtube app from Imobile (looked for it under the Amazon Appstore, but could not find it). Installed Youtube and it works great.
4. Can open PDF files w/ Adobe Reader that is already installed in this tablet. There is also Office Suite in this tablet.
Next up, testing the battery life for Kindle books :)
Update / January 4, 2013 (Down 2 stars!)
1. Kindle book battery life time is about 3 hours.
2. The power jack (dc input) socket on the tablet is fragile, awkward and flimsy at best. It needs a light hand to plug the power adaptor (in order to charge). If you allow your youngster they may break this when pushing the power adaptor in. Knowing what I know about this tablet's flimsy power jack socket, I'd not be able to suggest this tablet whole heartedly (unless you have buyers protection w/ your credit card, like I did, and can get an easy refund incase yours breaks under 90 days).
COBY, how could you skimp on the power jack socket? Not cool at all! :/