4.0 out of 5 stars Did you know?
Published on November 22, 2011 by DG

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Coby! Terrible Warranty support!
Unit arrived non-functional (unit was dead on arrival). Contacted Coby for replacement and I was told that I would have to pay shipping _both_ directions (the return shipping is paid by including a money-order).
Published on February 29, 2012 by Amazonuser

4.0 out of 5 stars Did you know?, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet - MID7012-4G (Black) (Personal Computers)
I bought 3 of these for my three grandaughters. You can install the amazon app store on it and get android apps that install easy and play very well. Amazon gives a paid app for free I believe daily. I was able to install apps like Angry birds on them for free and they work very well. I too, was impressed with this tablet, for the money it is a very good buy. I know it's not an IPad and I would not compare it to it either but, out of most budget tablets, this is one of the best. I played with each one for a while and watched videos online. I did not have any problems. The screen is resistive but yet i was able to scroll and type without the stylus unlike some others tablets that i tried out first.I did a lot of searches on the internet and compared many tablets in the same category.I also bought several and had to return them. For me, this was the winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the money, November 12, 2011
I have had this for 3 weeks and am very satisfied with it. The get jar apps store is good,plus I downloaded the amazon store apps,kindle, and b&n nook. The speed is decent, connects to wi fi very easily, and works great as an e reader. It comes with headphones,mini usb to usb adapter,stylus, and protective sleeve. The sleeve is just that, fabric to slide tablet in to help protect screen etc. You can store the stylus in a holder on sleeve. I strongly recommend. A great entry level tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, October 29, 2011
I had thought and looked into getting an iPad or one of the other larger tablets, but realized that if I was going to spend that much money that I may as well by a laptop. Yeah, they look cool and all, and the number of 3rd party things for it are out there, but I realized that I really didn't want something that big in size. I wanted something that I could easily carry around, see what email I had awaiting for me to read at some point, could sit and read a book, and play a few games. I had looked at some other 7" tablets, but there was just something about them that just didn't give me the desire to buy them, then I came across this one.
It's heavier than I expected, and takes longer to start than I would like, but it works for me.I have had no trouble connecting to wifi networks, the apps that I have added work great, going from portrait to landscape is quick, playing video from YouTube and elsewhere works fine, and I have even been able to make Skype calls with no problems.
The problem that I have had with it is that the battery doesn't last long, and it would of been really nice if they had made it a little bigger or added a clasp for the stylist. I also don't like the fact that if you lay it onto a table the screen will automatically switch to landscape.
The Apps store it uses (GetJar) has plenty of stuff to keep me happy, but I am not looking for it to do a billion things. So far I have enjoyed the e-reader (Aldiko) as it is easy to read things.
If you need all of the bells & whistles of the iPad, then buy an iPad. If you are looking for something that will do the basics quickly so you can do other things in life, this is a good choice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for the money, November 29, 2011
I own a Kindle and plan to get myself a Kindle Fire, to prevent my 9 y.o. from playing with Fire, I thought i should find her a decent tablet.Keep in mind I'm not tech savvy, so I read tons of reviews. I purchased this product on a groupon deal rather than amazon..sorry amazon but a deals a deal. Anyhow, it came today, I gave it a good charge and started playing around.

Feels great, not toy like but a solid well put together tablet.
Easy to set up and use...remember I'm not tech savvy.
The battery has lasted quite a while 4 plus hours.
Apps from Getjar & Amazon loaded with ease.
Loaded angry birds, kindle, cnn and a few others.

Not sure what folks are looking for with the reviews, but this is definitely a winner in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Thumbs up for Kyros 7012, December 2, 2011
I have been an electronic tech for 35 years. I'm impressed with the quality/cost of this device. I did not buy it at Amazon. But at my local grocery store on Black Friday. I did a quick check on my android phone for it and quickly decided it was worth a try. The store was selling it for $88. I've used it for a week now and I'm very impressed with it. The device is built rugged with an aluminum case. It is light weight and has a nice feel in the hands. It has a resistive touch display. I recommend using the stylist over your finger tip, unless you have long finger nail. Then your finger nail would make an excellent stylist. In most cases your finger tip will work. But if you have a light touch. The stylist will be more functional for you. This is common with ALL resistive displays. Battery life has been as reported in the specs. It was very easy to setup. The only setup was connecting to WIFI and email. The true test of any PC is how well it plays games and videos. Both tax the processor, memory, and display drivers. It plays games very well with no jerkiness in the frame rate. Videos play clean and the sound is good. The display on this unit is 800x400. Which is to be expected for this price point. The display is sharp. Graphics and videos look very good. Its not the brightest display. Yet it is easy to watch directly under florescent lights. It comes with a YouTube ap on the desktop. YouTube videos look very good and play cleanly. I have to give a thumbs up on the video processor/display for this price point. I loaded about 100 albums onto the device via the tflash(micro SD) port. This was a memory card I use in my SanDisk Sansa. The card was originally load via Microsoft Media Player. The music imported without any need of conversion, seamless. Audio quality is excellent. It has a mono speaker built in and a stereo mini phono output jack for the headsets provided with the device. They too sound great. The only real let down on this device was it did not come with Android Market. It has GetJar. This is where you get your aps and widgets on line. I am not impressed with the GetJar service. This was repeated almost universally with all the reviews I read. There is an easy fix to this. You can find out how to do this on YouTube. Just search Kyros 7012 Android Market. Even a lay person can load the patch to put Android Market on this device. Then you have all the Android aps at your finger tips. One nice function is it comes with a adapter cable for standard flash drives up to 4G of memory. No it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. No HDMI port, bluetooth, or built in camera. At this price you can't expect that. But if you want a basic tablet to surf, view photos and videos, YouTube, music,e-read, and play Angry Bird. Without blowing the budget. This device is for you. I also highly recommend this as a first tablet for the kids. Over all This is an excellent entry level tablet. I would have gave it 5 stars. If it had Android Market preloaded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not to bad for the money!!!, October 23, 2011
Bought this tablet at another vender (sorry amazon)for my son for christmas. Price was the same. Have been playing with it of course and I tell you what its pretty good tablet..plays video, music etc. with no problems.. The only thing i did not understand was the add says it comes with applib but mine came with getjar market.. anyways i have been looking through the getjar and its not too bad..i think for my 10 year old it will be a pretty good tablet..The only thing i do not really like, at least for me is that it has a 256 ram so it lags some but not bad, surfing the internet is pretty good..WiFi have no problems connected fine and works fine..battery don't know yet..has one charge on it prob played with it about 3 or 4 hours worth and is only reads 1/4 gone so not to bad i guess..
Overall i would recommend this tablet for a younger crowd..i myself am a fan of the coby products and i will be buying a coby but nothing less then 512 ram prob..8125 or 1125..last but not least coby you guys need to come out with a tabelt you can video skype on..lol..thanks..

UPDATE: I wrote another review on the 27th and of course I have been messing with the tablet. I now have 3 market places: getjar, amazon and android market. What i did is do a couple of factory resets and loaded amazon and then just the android market..i did not download the gmail,maps and the other apps that was in the G-tab folder. Works great!!! have downloaded alot of apps from all three...now what i am finding out is, in all three markets you just can not use some apps..not a big deal but between the three of them my 10 year old will have all the apps he needs as well for me until i get my tablet....another thing just like any other battery operated device i let the battery run completely dead a couple of times before recharging and let it recharge fully..it seems that it is lasting longer..
also can not get adobe flash player 11 on the device did get 10.3 on it from freewarelovers but pretty much everything is running 11 now..if anyone can help with that...i prob. will not be making anymore updates...i still consider this tablet worth the money even now since i got the android market on it....enjoy..

5.0 out of 5 stars EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED: COBY KYROS MID7012, January 1, 2012
A COUPLE OF NOTES:
A lot of reviews purported to be about this Tablet PC are not. If the reviewer mentions a camera, pre-loaded netflix or the AppLibs Market they are NOT discussing the MID7012. Take that as you will.
My 5 stars are based upon it's class, comparing this to an iPad, a Galaxy TAB or anything of that nature borders on lunacy. ;) Comparing it to a Fire is fine. The Fire's touchscreen is more responsive, the Processor a bit more powerful. The Fire's lack of a SD slot is a bit goofy, it's layout leaves something to be desired and it's security is ZERO. And the Fire lacks connection to peripherals. I have played with both and find both fine tools. I prefer the MID7012 for the reasons i listed. My fiance had asked me if i would prefer a Fire, but i decided on NO for the reasons i listed above. Plus with the extra $115 difference she was able to get me some real cool extra Christmas goodies! lol

MY USES FOR THIS DEVICE:
E-Reader- I have ALDIKO, LAPUTA and KINDLE loaded on here and all run fine. No hiccups, DLs are speedy enough for my purposes and Books are called up with ease. The screen has a bit of a glare but anti-glare screen protections clears that up.
Portfolio- I do Graphic Design and Photography and have a number of my best work loaded on to a 16gb MicroSDHC. When a potential client needs to see my work i tap the gallery and get to showing. The clarity is superb and the load times are decent enough when keeping in mind the 800mhz processor. This also holds true for my music, if i want to show a potential listener or prospective rapper needing beats they are all there on my SDHC.
Notes & Lyrics- I also rap and co-own a record label. with a couple of note-pad apps loaded I have a great place to keep my business notes and rhymes readily at my grasp and viewing. The days of searching through our studio to find that "ONE BOOK" are long gone. And with current beats loaded i can write raps and listen to beats on the same device.
Scheduling- Whether reminding myself about meetings or photo-shoots. And jotting down client suggestions or ideas for photo-shoots or design jobs is a breeze.
Entertainment- I have some fun apps loaded and they work fine, unless i was doing a bunch of stuff, in that case i need to free up RAM then it's good to go. (i am not much of a Game app guy, i prefer video games, board games and rpgs) I also have some mp4 movies (they look great) and music on here (the internal speaker is crap but headphones or ext speakers sound cool). Not much of a NETFLIX guy since the "change".

SUGGESTIONS:
1. Calibrate the darn thing. After playing with the calibration i find it much more responsive even without the stylus. seriously if you are complaining about touch responsiveness and you haven't calibrated it PROPERLY. . .well i won't say.
2. Get a USB peripheral Keyboard/case. They are dirt cheap and they add to the user ease.
3. Move Apps to internal SD card. so smooth!!
4. Get Amazon app Market. it DLs no problem. The apps run smooth and with that and getjar combined you hardly miss the Android App Market.
5. Get a CLASS 10 16gb Micro SDHC for your media: photos, music and movies. Load them from your home computer with a usb SD reader, pop em in and watch em fly.
6. Place your most used apps on the launcher home. it is much easier than the APP-Drawer.
7. DON'T GET ANDROID MKT. It can ruin it. then a factory refresh is needed.

PROS:
WI-FI sensor is pretty good. i get 3-4 bars almost everywhere.
AMAZON MKT runs no prob.
Browser is no slower than my Galaxy SMART PHONE.
Very Portable.
Apps run great if you keep an eye on your processor.
YOUTUBE runs smooth.
MIcro SDHC compatible.
Universal Micro USB compatible.
Great Screen.
Beautiful display of pics, movies and graphic designs.

CONS:
Touch-screen is kinda touchy. lol
Slow Loading when turned on.
Screens changes can be glitchy, but not a problem if you have patience and aren't all twitchy and try to rush things.
Processor can get taxed.
Flash only available if you DL puffin browser.

in conclusion, do your research. Understand what you are paying for and what that means. Don't get mad when it doesn't do what it says it doesn't do. The box tells you EXACTLY what it's uses are. If you don't do the research that is ON YOU!!
And if you don't like it, telling some-one to "just get an iPad" is NOT a solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily worth $100..., February 11, 2012
...if you are willing to spend a few hours doing some research (or following the instructions below) to tweak it!

I read most of the reviews before I made the purchase. Some of them made it sound great. Other trashed it thoroughly. After having it for about two weeks, I realize now that both types of review are completely true. At $100, the manufacturers clearly made compromises (no camera or video camera, weak/low speaker, high definition, etc.) to keep it at that price point. For that reason, anybody expecting it to be ready to use out of the box with no tweaking will probably be disappointed. On the other hand, those folks with the time and inclination to make some quick, easy and free modifications to it will probably be very happy with it. At a cost of $100 and often less, it is worth these sacrifices to me. If it isn't too you, then spend $300+ on an ipad or ipad knock-off and save yourself some hassle.

These are the reasons it is worth the price to me:
* has a sturdy build (will it survive a drop onto concrete from a 3-4 feet? probably not but few electronic devices will...lol)

* works great with the following case/keyboard with kickstand - HDE 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case (costs $16 on amazon); fit perfectly in the case; plugged in keyboard using the mini usb adapter included in the coby kyros box and it worked instantly - no tweaking or setting changes necessary

* clear bright display (not hd but clear; if you want hd then pay more for another device)

* touchscreen display is fine - same as my htc hero phone (press and hold to move things; press and let go to activate an icon)

* android interface, buttons etc. is familiar to me since i have an android phone; there will be a bit of a learning curve for folks not used to how android devices work - 4 standard function buttons on it; touch screen operation, etc.

These are the things that I had to do to do it after doing a few hours research to make it work for me:
* added android market (WASTE OF TIME)- very easy if you are comfortable following directions using the following video posted on utube ([...] everyone talks about the android market so i thought i had to have it; once i got it i was disappointed with it; why?; i couldn't find the apps on it that i wanted - rhapsody, pandora, etc.; when i typed these items in the search box, dozens of apps came up but these were not anywhere in the first 3 or 4 screens after which i gave up looking

* added amazon marketplace app (AWESOME) - very easy to follow instructions from the amazon apps website; after i installed it i was able to easy find the pandora and rhapsody apps; when i typed those names in the search field, those items were the FIRST THING in a list of only 3 or 4 items; amazon app store has the same free apps as andriod market but the searches as much more likely to lead you to what you are looking for on the first screen

* added netflix (AWESOME) - you can get it to work fine at normal speed on your coby kyros if you install an older version of it (1.2.1 with the automatic app update feature disabled; you can find it at com.netflix.mediaclient-v1.2.1; there are much newer versions but they don't work with the kyros because the movies run at an almost frame by frame pace making the movie unwatchable

* buy a class 10 memory card - about $20 for 16gb(recommended by another reviewer) and move all of the apps to it instead of allowing them to use the small amount of memory on the device

* angry birds also works fine on it once you move it to the memory card mentioned above; without it runs "herky jerky" and crashes often

* some other apps i installed on it were google docs, words with friends, amazon kindle book reader (lot of free books - new and old available there), etc.

I plan on buying a few more at this price now that I know how to quickly tweak it for my mom and young nephews. I hope this review helps those of you who were confused like me after reading reviews that said conflicting things and wondered if everyone was reviewing the same device! This is my first ever review on amazon though i have buying stuff on here over a decade. Forgive me if it is too long! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Was worried about Coby, but I'm impressed with this., December 2, 2011
Like another reviewer, I ordered this for my 10 year old son for Christmas so that he would leave my smartphone alone. It took me months to finally order it because I've had hit and miss luck with Coby. After playing with it for several hours over the last couple of days, loading it up with free games and looking for something not to like, I have to admit that it is a great buy for the money.

The only problems I've had were in getting most AmazonApps to play once installed. The App store app and -- oh yeah,for those who have asked, NETFLIX!! -- both run fine, but the three freeby things I downloaded, Bubble Birds, a jellyfish game, and something else, don't. Could be a problem with the apps, with Android, or with the Coby, I can't say which. But the GetJar market is pretty good, and I haven't had any problems with their apps, so I'm not sweating it.

The Screen is definitely not as sensitive as my Smartphone, but I'm sure he'll be able to work it.

One more thing, if you have DVDs converted to MP4s, they work with the installed Gallery app (it's not just for pictures.) Pop a micro SD card with an MP4 on it in the slot, turn on Gallery, and the device will find it.

The one thing I didn't find was a way to check the specifications actually installed on this model. As those of you who purchase lower end electronics can attest, what they say you get isn't always what you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for this price!, November 26, 2011
I recently purchased this item and find it is fantastic. A great little product for the price. A very affordable tablet. I connected easily to my internet, bookmarked my favorite sites, set up my email accounts and downloaded additional apps. Easy to change the wallpaper, great color reader. Easy to install epub books in your possession. Battery life is quite good and it charges rather quickly. Nice item to have to check your email or update your FB account without turning on the PC. My photos look great viewed on this screen. I am really satisfied with this purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies