on October 19, 2011
I have had my tablet about 2week now, and I have installed the Android market, Amazon Market etc. without rooting. (look for instructions for 7022 model). This tablet works great! I use mine for light web surfing, watching netflix and you tube, and reading books. I read mostly, and I have a few issues that are app realated NOT related to the Coby. For example the Kindle app does not allow you to change the default dictionary for your foreign language books. The Aldiko app nor the Kindle app let me search my dictionaries well at all.

The wifi works well, and I had it going in under 5 min. I get a good signal all over my house as well.

The tablet really works now that I have been able to get apps from the marketplace. I have a 16gig card in mine where I store everything, and that keeps it running fairly well. I have had to reset once, and it wakes up while in standby mode over and over too. Which brings me to the negative: THE BATTERY LIFE IS TERRIBLE! I read a lot on this, and I only get about 4 hrs. battery life. I even downloaded the "no cell" app which did nothing to improve the battery. Other than that it works well enough for my needs. I am thinking about getting both of my kids one to read all the classics that we read together. (I homeschool) This would certainly cut down on costs of purchasing paper books.

Tech support says you may use the tablet while it is plugged in, and that has been a life saver for me!

All in all I have had no major problems with this device. I would recommend this for those who do not have to use this for anything really demanding. It is nice to read books on, browse the web in bed, or watch an episode of Monk while on my sofa!

***UPDATE***

Ok, now I have had this tablet for well over a month, and I really wish I could send it back.

TWO Big cons:

The wifi does not stay connected for very long at all!! I have done everything I can think of. I am even in the same room with it and it disconnects then I try to reset it and there is an "error" message. So I have to restart the tablet in order to restart the wifi connection again!!! That is why I am amending my review! This problem alone is enough to be a deal breaker for most. So please pay attention to those with this same issue. It will make you want to throw this thing through the wall!!!!

BATTERY life is worse than I could imagine. I get maybe 3 hours at most reading or surfing the net, playing a game. You can not watch an entire neflix movie without plugging it in. I am very dissappointed in this devices battery. I could deal with the wifi issue if the battery were better. I will be trying to sell this one and get a better tablet in the future. I like to read, and I am very frustrated that this thing does not have a longer time when reading even when turning off wifi etc.

So in conclusion, I don't have a problem with the screen or anything like that, but these two issues have made me aware that you really do get what you pay for. I hope that you have enough info to make a decision. My advice is to save a little more money and get a better device.
on October 8, 2011
The Kyros 8 inch tablet running Android 2.3.4 is exactly that. When purchasing this, one cannot expect the same features as a Motorola Xoom or Apple iPad. If you desire those features, then you should spend the couple hundred dollars more for one of them.

However, if you are looking for an economical alternative which will allow you to peruse the Web, check email, and do other lightwieght computing, then this is a great little tablet for that. It has enough processing power and RAM to handle these tasks, and does so while remaining more convenient than a netbook of equal specifications. Being Android, it will feel very familiar to those already accustomed to the OS. The resistive screen, while not capable multi-touch, it is compatible with a stylus.

Speaking of the screen, this may be its biggest detriment. While the screen is generally clear, it is not as crisp as more expensive units. Furthermore, the sensitivity is not as good as a higher quality capacitive screen. However, the unit also costs $185 compared to units with nicer screens for $300 plus. For me, this was a fair trade-off. As is the low resolution of the forward facing camera. While it won't take prime pics, it will work for video chat.

For apps, the unit comes pre-loaded with "Appslib" market, and I was also able to load Amazon's App Market onto it very easily, as well. While there won't be nearly as many apps for tablets in the Android ecosystem, there are still plenty of compatible apps to choose from.

In closing, you don't get a cool logo or extensive ecosystem with this tablet. Instead, you get a modest price and the ability to do routine Web tasks from a convenient platform. If you are okay with not having 3G compatibility or the "coolness" of a "super" tablet, then this is a good choice.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Outstanding value! Read hundreds of reviews on Amazon before this purchase. Great buy for the price. No problems at all. Installed Amazon Apps, Netflix, Nook, & Kindle. All run perfectly.

I am an IT person and I highly recommend this tablet.
Great value for the price.
on December 4, 2011
First of all, anyone who rated this tablet anything below a 4 star is an idiot! You did not purchase the Coby Kyros 8-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet - MID8125-4G (Black) because it has Android 2.3 and you do not have to root it to get the android market on it. Most of the things the people who rated this tablet a 1 or 2 stars said it didn't do or couldn't do is not relevant with this version of the Coby Kyros. Please post your review under the correct version/product of the Coby Kyros, you could be confusing people. I really love this tablet, it is built very well (not a cheap piece of crap). It has a front-facing camera (great for skype). And it has a microphone, so you can download all of the android "siri" apps. It works great with amazon apps and books, also nook books. I had no problem connecting to the internet at all, connected immediately. Youtube videos have great resolution, and it is easy to download movies from amazon right from my tablet. I have had the Xoom and I would say this is better. Overall this is a fabulous tablet and is worth much more than I paid.
on February 3, 2012
There have been many complaints about the Coby Tablets...loss of Wifi signal, no Android Market, but I found these to be a great buy and very functional. I also have an ASUS Transformer TF-101, which is a high end, great tablet. All of the complaint issues on the Coby Tablets can be easily corrected. Installing the Android Market is fairly easy and deploying a Keep Wi-Fi Widget will keep your Wi-Fi stable. I recommend the Coby models with a 1 Ghz processor for speed, processing power. You can certainly get used to the resistive screen. All in all a great buy!
on January 23, 2012
This is the first tablet I have purchased but I have looked at several. This one seemed to be the best for the money and so far it has lived up to that billing. I haven't had to root it and I have been successful (with a little research) in getting the Android market on it and several other apps! Even if an app doesn't install or is considered uncompatible for this unit, there is plenty of info about the coby tablets on line and a way to accomplish anything! I am quite pleased with this tablet.
on January 6, 2012
My experiences with the COBY MID8125-4G

Pros:
* Reasonable starter tablet for the cost
* Able to go to Amazon.com and download android applications
* Web surfing is good when wireless works, which is most of the time.
* Netflix application works great

Cons:
* COBY has zero tech support. I called twice and had to leave my info with a call center because they were busy. It has been 3 months and COBY has never contacted me back. They also have not responded to my 3 emails. I will never buy another COBY product for this reason.
* The wireless frequently has a connection issue which requires a shutdown. Turning the wireless off and on doesn't work and brings up an ERROR code.
* It will often freeze for about 10-15 seconds when navigating through applications
* It completely freezes quite often and requires a reset. Keep a thumbtack handy for the reset button.
on December 19, 2011
I received a Coby Kyros two weeks ago. My husband and I worked with it for two days and spoke with customer service for over an hour before sending it back. The machine looks built well enough, however it would continually freeze, was extremely slow, and kept losing the wi-fi connection (other computers in the house were fine). We needed the android market for a parrot droid we bought and were told by the customer service rep. it could not get the market, regardless of reviews I found on Amazon which included various methods of acquiring the market.

If you are brilliant with droids and enjoy a great challenge then you may want one just for the sake of conquering the animal, assuming you can get it to work properly to even engage it. The longest we were able to get it to work trouble free was 15-20 to watch the annoying orange.

We bought an acer at best buy, obviously more money ($270.29 total price), but it took off immediately and was so easy to use, it was worth the extra for peace of mind and sanity. It also had the features we needed for the parrot droid and was easy to set up. It has a much longer battery life as well.

I am still waiting for the refund for the Kyros, and will update this post when reimbursement is given. It was free to return the machine, which was very nice. The Coby rep. had me print out a Fed Ex label online and I shipped it back in it's original box with a return authorization number. So will let you know how long that process takes (sent it back Dec 14). Thanks, hope this helps someone else.
on September 7, 2011
What you get:
Tablet, Pouch, Stylus, Charger, Mini-USB Cable, headphones, mini-USB to Full USB host.

Press releases for the MID8125 got me really excited for an affordable touchscreen tablet. When Amazon offered them for a cheap $190, I immediately bought one. Except the press releases and this product description got it wrong. The screen is not capacitive nor intuitive.

The device turns on in about 15-20 seconds, pretty fast. The speakers are nice and produce quality sound. Everything is stock android, so an easy to adapt to user experience. As with other Coby tablets, the USB does not charge the device, rather it is only used for file transfers. The tablet does not come with the Android Market, but it can easily be added through guides found all over the internet. In addition, Amazon Appstore can be easily added.

The biggest downfall with this device is the screen. It is not intuitive at all, and is horrible for reading applications. (tested with nook reader app). I found the tablet frustrating at best because of the screen. You will find yourself selecting items when trying to scroll, selecting the wrong items, and trying multiple times to make the menu, home and back keys to work. I cannot provide feedback on battery life as i am returning this device today.

If you are looking for a good tablet under $200, get a refurb Nook Color, wait for the new nook color or amazon tablet, or wait for the Levovo Ideapad A1. The Coby MID7022 may be a good option for $180 and its available now.
on December 27, 2011
First off, the worst thing you can do is compare this to an ipad. It's not an ipad and wasn't designed to be compared to one. It is a droid tablet, nothing more and nothing less. It comes with a 1Ghz processor which will enable one to do most anything they need a tablet to do. But here is why I think it is BETTER than an ipad and a more intelligent purchase.
I bought three of these coby's for Christmas for my 6, 9, and 12 year old daughters. I bought a 10" (MID1126), and two 8" (MID8126) upper end Coby's for the price I would have paid for one ipad. Now don't get me wrong, I own many apple products- three ipod touches, two nano's, a shuffle, and the best ipod ever made- the last ipod video 30gb which came before all the proprietary hookups.
The Coby name is symbolic of electronic toys for kids, but this isn't the case with these upper end Coby tablets. They are built very well and I have read that there is a piece of stainless steel that runs the length of the tablet inside, result being they don't flex in your hand. The displays are very nice, however they are not in the league of ipads or other $500 samsung, toshiba, or motorola tablets. However, they are a fraction of the cost and still look absolutely great with no fading viewing angles I've read some high end toshiba tablets suffer from.
Let's talk about what they have over the ipad- versatility. An HDMI video out, a 2.0 usb port with a full-size usb jumper (adapter), microSD card input and two stereo speakers vs one on ipad. A person can run video out of this to their HDTV, hook up a keyboard or monitor, add memory with the microSD card, etc. Apple has one hookup- and it cannot be used for any of those things.
As far as the full android market, it can be added in 5 minutes (youtube has a great video, type in "android market on coby kyros") with no mods (rooting) required. I added it on all three of my tablets. But google is onto this and has removed all the most popular apps such as facebook. They know when one is registering an unlicensed device thru the processing chip that is being registered. But you can still get a plethora of apps from them. However, the amazon market can be downloaded straight from their website and has the jist of apps one needs along with the two other app shops that come preinstalled on all Coby tablets where you can get the facebook for android app (Getjar app store).
If you're looking for the tablet experience, but don't want to be part of the sheep herd drinking the $500-$600 ipad or droid tablet kool-aid, buy one of these upper end Coby's and I think you will be satisfied. With all the upgrades on the horizon for the tablet market in the next year or two, I think it would be ignorant to waste so many hundreds on a piece that will be obsolete in a year or two. Whether you want a capacitive touchscreen (MID1126) that is more responsive or a resistive (MID8126) which is more durable but a bit less accurate but comes with a stylus if you wish to use in lieu of your finger, I think the Coby's serve a role that most consumers will appreciate with money left over for another gadget.

edit: returned all three of these Coby tablets, they are junk!! go with the acer iconia 7", it's the best android tablet available today.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations