1,173 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Coby Kyros 1042-8
Okay, I've had this little gem for about 5 days now. I was looking for a ten inch tab, but didn't have a lot of cash. I already have the Acer Iconia A-100, which is a great tablet. But i wanted a 10 incher. When i first got it, it ran fine but there was no Google App Store, bummer, So I got the Amazon App Store. everything was working fine but when I loaded Netflix it...
Published 23 months ago by Janowbi

1.0 out of 5 stars Baaaaaad Coby
The graphics are beautiful, processing is faster than my lap top, very user-friendly, touch screen is really responsive.

So why the 1 star rating?
Because the company stinks.

Within two days of use, the wi-fi on my tablet crapped out. At first it would just randomly disconnect, which was annoying, but I just reconnected and moved on. By the next...
Published 19 months ago by "But Mom!" Bethany

1.0 out of 5 stars coby kyros 10.1, October 8, 2012
I ordered it twice and neither one worked properly, so I returned them.. there is some glitch in the screen that once it warms up it flashes on and off... I called the manufacturer and they say its a bad unit, that it shouldn't do that and to send it back.. after two of them I'm starting to wonder if it's the way all of them are or it's how it is handled at Amazon.....

1.0 out of 5 stars WON'T TURN BACK ON!, February 21, 2013
I ordered this for my husband for christmas. It was an ok size and we chose it because of the camera. He didn't use it often and lately the battery started dying really quickly and now it won't even turn on. Not even on the charger....

1.0 out of 5 stars WOULD NOT RECOMMEND, January 4, 2013
This is my 1st time ever writing a review for anything I purchased but you all need to know my experience w/ this tablet. I purchased it as a 2012 Christmas gift for my 7yr old daughter. The price was reasonable and the size was great, seemed like a WIN/WIN situation. However, we have had continuous issues with it from the time it came out of the package. I read reviews b4 my purchase, of course some good and bad. I thought i would be the person with no problems, I WAS WRONG. The tablet responds slow even after the settings are changed but the BIGGER issue was it continuously disconnected itself from our router multiply times, EVERYDAY. When i did find a fix to that issue it stopped connecting to the internet, SMH confused. I have other wireless equipment connected to my service so that ruled out a service issue. THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH THE TABLET. Needless to say, I guess it is true, "U DO GET WHAT U PAY FOR". I'll be returning this ASAP and purchasing another tablet and will definitely take the reviews more serious!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, September 14, 2012
I am satisfied with this item, it is more or less easy to understand and operate, it just takes some getting used to and the battery life is great.
I just had to edit my first review of this device. Initially it work well for about the first month after then it just stop working and would not turn on, it will just stick on the Coby start up screen. I sent it back to Coby and it was replaced for the newer version (MID 1045) I used this on for about another month then the problems started again. Now my table will not keep charged at all. The battery discharges about 2% every 3 minutes and besides that it even discharges when its turned off. I contacted Coby and they asked me to return the item for another replacement. Unfortunately after all this stress I am not interested in another Coby Tablet. Currently I am trying to get a refund for the purchase but no one at Coby customer service is responding to my emails. I regretted purchasing this tablet. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and I'm loving it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic but functional, September 8, 2012
As an inexpensive tablet the Coby Kyros 10'1 and 7"is adequate but not as functional as I expected. The Android Ice Cream platform will not allow you to access Google apps play store and does not recognize the device. It's almost deceiving that it's [resented as Android when you can't run Android apps because of the different platform. It's not an isolated case as I also purchased the 7" version and I can not download the face book apps that run through google play store which are touted as Android Apps. As far as speed and surfing, it's efficient however again, since the tablet platform is unrecognized you will be limited on what mobile apps you can download for instance Iheart radio app, Zynga etc., even websites that stream audio. I accessed a local radio station that broadcasts live. It didn't work with these tablets and pops up as device not recognized or supported.If you want a basic surfing and email device with games that will function on this platform buy it. If you want more choices in apps through Google Playstore don't but you'll spend a little bit more more the convenience. As far as features, the camera is limiting as you cant see what you are shooting as it it faces towards the user and there is no viewer. I use the gallery photos for virtual tours of properties and it is grainy. A better camera that was designed for pictures would be advisable otherwise it's a Skye type camera. The Getjar app does have a nice selection of apps however Skype on both tablets is not very good and sends a signal processed to the receiving user as pink and not clear. The person sending Skype was clear as a bell so I would assume it's the Kyros that is sending a bad picture due to the platform or the processor.It was disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Coby Kyros MID 1042 Tablet, October 24, 2012
Ginamarie Martino (East Troy, WI, United States) - See all my reviews
Ordered the Coby MID1042 Tablet from Amazon w/ free shipping. Cost $146.00. I have to admit that after the reviews that I like the price but was leary about installing the apps. This item arrived way before it was expected to. Packaging was good. Plugged it in, charged it and it was ready to go.

I was able to get ALL the apps I wanted onto this tablet. Not all from the same sight though. Getjar is ok and has plenty of free apps. Not the ones I needed tho. But if you log onto the browser you can bookmark your favorite pages right on your home screen. Amazon, Netflix, Yahoo mail, Pinterest, facebook booked marked really easy and open up to the last page you had. Again these are right on your main home screen.

Then I downloaded an app from Getjar called "Good E-reader android app store". this app is actually a store, so I was able to download a few apps off of this app for free. This also had Netflix Aodbe and lots of popular games.

Then my struggle was trying to kindle onto my tablet. It took me a while and a lot of research but I was able to download the "Amazon AppStore". right from amazon.com Not easy, not hard.
Here were the steps I had to follow.
On my tablet I went to settings - then to applications - make sure the "unknrown sources" is checked.
Then I went to Amazon Appstore and in the upper right corner it asks for you email.
Then it sends you a email with a link to download.
Once its downloaded, you can see on the home page the downloaded icon, the one with the down arrow.
I clicked on that and it installed the app. Pretty easy actually.
After that I was able to download Kindle and Audible.

I am very happy with this tablet, yes it did take me hours to figure out how to get some of the apps but I didnt have to download anything to my computer or put anything on an SD card.

The screen doen not act like an Ipad. It is not a tap screen, but more of a touch and hold for 1 second screen. One you realize this it just becomes natural to hold the icon. Not bad, just different.

I would recommend this to my family and friends. All I can say is be patient when trying to set up your favorite apps. They are there and I am glad I spent the time finding them.

Just remember, If you want an Ipad, buy and Ipad. This Tablet is great for the price and does everything I needed it to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's just what i needed, November 12, 2012
I was looking for a tablet to keep my gaming pdfs on and get to the internet on. This tablet does just that. I was skeptical about the lack of google play, but the amazon app store worked just fine for what I needed.

Don't use the built in e-reader, the screen starts winking and blinking something awful, just get the adobe pdf reader. You'll be golden.

The dictionary doesn't really seem to work, almost everything gets redlined, but it doesn't make the tablet any less effective for me,

5.0 out of 5 stars They improved coby, December 10, 2012
I got a Coby Kyros because my first tablet was a 7 inch Kyros a few years ago. I had a lot of fun with it but missed having Adobe Flash. It still works well but I gave it away. I know Coby has been in the business longer than a lot of tablets they have out now so I stuck with the brand. I am tired of dragging my Toshiba laptop with me everywhere because it is heavy so I ordered the ten inch tablet. While playing with it, I looked at the apps section and wow, to my surprise it had only Adobe Flash there. I couldnt believe it due to all the negative comments here about that. Well, I fired up the tablet and low and behold, it does now have Adobe Flash downloaded by the Coby people! So for a 149.00 tablet, the Coby Kyros is now a pretty good one. Now I wont feel shortchanged when I have to purchase another next year with the latest OS. Wow, I am glad I made
purchase.

I now recommend this tablet to anyone without reservation because it is worth it for the money you pay for the tablet. Surprise everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful customer service-No factory warranty support, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Coby Kyros 9.7-Inch Android 4.0 8 GB Internet Tablet 4:3 Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen with Built-In Camera, Black MID9740-8 (Personal Computers)
I bought this unit and the display showed lines after 5 weeks of use. I returned the unit to be repaired at Colby's Repair Center. Their Customer Service will simply tell you that it takes at least 8 weeks for any repairs. This is up from 4-6 weeks originally. They will simply not make any effort to find out any further information. Good luck if you buy this!

10-12-2013 Update: They finally replaced the unit in May. On July, the replacement unit broke with a defective Power Jack. This time they did not answer their support number. I sent them emails to both their Customer Service and Tech Support emails and they were not answered. I filed a complaint with the NY BBB and they never answered the BBB's complaint. If you want to buy a product with factory support, stay away from Coby products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget It, April 16, 2013
Mark11 (Ridley, PA) - See all my reviews
I cheaped out and got this tablet....what a mistake...SUPER slow. The kind of slow that makes you want to throw it against a wall. Screen and graphics are good but freezes up all the time. Believe me, spend the extra money and get something faster like a Galaxy/IPad/Kindle Fire. Also, for some reason its an android by I can't purchase apps from Google Play (doesnt support it?).

Rate and Discover Movies