on May 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Just received the Coby Kyros MID 9742. For the money this is one fine tablet. I had Xoom Motorola tablet which was unfortunately lost on my travels. Using the Xoom as the standard, for the money the Kyros is a close and impressive second. A lot of the complaints that I have read are from people who are not exploring the tablet. Indeed it does not have Google play but the Amazon app store and other secondary app stores are easily accessible. The problem about havng to go through a computer to move apps from internal storage to the sd card is very solvable. There is a free app on Amazon app store called "App2SD" I downloaded it; you can move apps seamlessly from the internal to external memory in the blink of an eye. I reccommend the Coby Kyros to anyone on a budget or more improtantly to those who want something that works well without the newest bells and whistles that will be antiquated in less than three months. The truth is as technology progresses 80% of most products--computers, tablets, tv's, and so forth will converge upon a very acceptable and fairly reliable mean. To go much beyond the mean will cost too much for too little benefit except to say "I spent money on the latest and greatest" and of course to pay too little will get you a piece of junk. The Kyros difenitely is at the top of that 80%.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2012
ATTENTION: Apparently Coby is going through a bankruptcy so I have been told by user's here.
You may wish to consider a NEWER Android tablet like Nexus 7 or a Windows 8 model with the
newer Atom Z2760 Processors which allow up to 4 1080p videos to be played at the same time.

ALERT: GOOGLE HAS INTRODUCED THE NEXUS 7 TABLET WITH TEGRA 3 PROCESSOR FOR GREAT GAMES, ITS $199 FOR 8GB, $249 FOR 16GB
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A TABLET AT THE SAME PRICE AS THE COBY I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU GET THE NEXUS 7, IT HAS A TEGRA 3 AND
THE PRICE IS TOO WONDERFUL TO PASS UP. COBY HAS TO LOWER THE PRICES ON THESE TABLETS IF THEY EXPECT TO KEEP SELLING THEM.

THE COBY 10" MODEL MID1042-8 IS AVAILABLE FOR PRE ORDER FOR 199.98, I'M NOT SURE IF THE PHOTO HERE IS ACCURATE IT
SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE 9742-8 MODEL BUT A LARGER SCREEN, THIS IS A GREAT PRICE FOR A 10 INCH TABLET

NOTICE: If you have problems putting in a microSD card and it says "Card Damaged or Card not Readable Reinsert Card" try
ejecting and inserting it again while tablet is on. If it reads it go to settings, click Storage, scroll down to EXT SD CARD
and click on MOUNT SD CARD. If you get the same message, do this. Leave the card inside the tablet. Hold power button down to
SHUT OFF tablet, then after shutdown press and hold power until Coby logo screen appears again, your microSD card should be Mounted.

Coby has done there homework. They have been around since 1990 and are not a fly by night corporation. This tablet is very responsive,
no lags whatsoever. Aside from not including the Android Marketplace (now known as Google Play) you can download Amazon App Store
application from Amazon.com using the browser which came on your tablet. It has all the hot apps you would need. The GetJar simply
shows you FREE apps, they change every week so it's a good place for free apps, but not all of them are something you'd want.
Check out 1Mobile for other android applications as well as hundreds of Android related sites searching your favorite web search page.

WARNING: OLDER COBY MODEL "ROOT INSTRUCTIONS" MAY NOT WORK FOR THIS NEWER GENERATION OF COBY TABLETS, PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE
TRYING THEM. COBY DOES NOT MIND IF YOU ROOT THE TABLET TO GET ANDROID MARKETPLACE (Google Play), I WOULD PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Firefox 14 for Android includes Flash support, as well as tap-to-play for plug-ins. However according to Mozillas site they have only
tested the software on some tablets, and don't have Coby's newest models listed. Right now you are limited to using the built in browser
and youtube player for youtube videos. You can however play flash videos after installing the Adobe Flash 11 apk, with VLC Player and
other Flash Video capable players. FLV Player lets you play flash videos without Adobe Flash installed as it claims. Playing flash video
from your microSD card is not a problem. Until Mozilla works harder on tablet versions of Firefox and Aurora, the browser which comes with
the Coby plays youtube videos just fine in the a web browser window.

You may have issues finding Adobe Flash, but searching 1Mobile.com with your browser on your Coby tablet. In the search feature enter
Adobe Flash at the top of the webpage. In the results page the top should show the Adobe Flash red icon with F in the middle. Click
on this icon. It will take you to the next page, where you need to click on "Download APK" with a little green Android symbol. After
download, tell the tablet to Install the Application.

After that your all set, I would recommend downloading this first, after its installed, turn off the tablet and back on again. So far
played Angry Birds, a blast on a larger screen. No issues unlike my Samsung Galaxy S phone, this thing hasnt crashed yet, works
flawlessly, has a beautiful vibrant screen and way better then a Kindle Fire! You can get a Kindle Reader app from Amazon for free and
it works!

You can also download an app called FLV Player from Amazon App store, its free and will play flash video files without needing Adobe
Flash to do so, its also good for playing FLV files from external microSD card's you insert in the tablet.

The weight of this tablet doesn't hurt your hands using it for long periods. The sound is really good, two speakers are on the left back
side but easy to hear, even when its placed on a flat surface, though I always hold it in my 2 hands. Would recommend a few apps like
PaperPort Anywhere, you also need the PC version, allows your tablet to print out webpages and documents to your wireless printer.
Syncables 360 Home Network v.7 for the tablet and PC, lets you sync your Movie/Photos/Documents/Music folders on your PC so you can
access files from the computer. A reference app would be The Complete Android Guide eBook, for learning more about Android.

Using this tablet has been great, 4 month's so far but everything is flawless, screen is awesome, easy to look at. If you get a browser
page which doesn't respond for whatever reason, or a game, press the power button down a second and it will ask if you want to close
the browser page, or the game you are playing. I just choose WAIT and it usually starts again from where it left off.

Playing games like Random Mahjong Pro is awesome, it looks so good on here. Crossword puzzle lovers will enjoy Super Word Search! Get
Documents To Go 3.0 to read all those documents. The back camera works really well, front camera is good if your in good lighting and
not to shady. Movies also look great on here, it's a small screen so your not going to notice a lot of pixels as you would from a larger
tv screen. Even my 55 inch tv shows pixels if I stand 1 foot away from it, the only way you won't is if you get a 4K Projector for $2499
and I would recommend a ScreenInnovation's Black Diamond No Edge projection screen.

For the price of these you can not go wrong, I would definately get this over a Kindle Fire, it's just designed much better, sleeker and
looks great, larger screen. You can also get the 10" Coby 1042-8 tablet coming May 22, 2012. It's available for preorder, its the same as
this model just larger. After using Android phones which have to many issues, I use my Palm Pixi Plus for calls its flawless, this is the
best Android related device I have tried, and it's the FIRST one to have ICS 4.0.3 PRE Installed! Don't believe the reviews, Coby was first!

If you have any qualms, just get the SquareTrade warranty plan, and for another 5 bucks you can insure it in case you drop it and break it
or you spill coffee on it, they will replace it. Nothing I could say negative about this tablet, it does everything very well, in a great
design. I've used electronics for 32 years so I'm pretty well versed in this kind of industry, this would be a great gift for your kids or
your significant other. If you dont need those fancy video game style games, but even most of those will work on here, without special 3D
effects like water splashing on the screen, this is definately a great tablet! Would recommend trying Mozilla's Firefox browser for
Android, its a great browser on PCs too and I find it much more secure than Internet Explorer. You can download the .APK file from the
following link: download.cnet.com using the browsers tablet, search for Mozilla Firefox for Android and get version 14.
Simply copy this file to a microSD card if you download the file to your PC first, insert the microSD card into the Coby tablet and using
the file exchange, click on Favorites and it should show your microSD card, tap there and it will show the APK files on your microSD card.

This tablet plays SHADOWGUN just fine, for all those gamers. I've found that if you go into settings,click on Applications and tell it to
install the Shadowgun game to your microSD card, it plays a lot smoother and faster using the microSD card. You can get it on Amazon Appstore,
plus a lot of other cool games. Virtual City from G5 games is awesome, if you like games like Simcity. Electronic Arts also has games for
Android but they are on Google Play, you could save the file to a memory card and "sideload" it on to the tablet, or perhaps they have them
in Amazon App store, if not ask EA to expand the places you can buy there games. After a few hours of gaming and browsing and some videos,
the battery level hardly even moved. WiFi signal is very strong, usually 5 out of 5 bars, once in a while it will drop to 4 but it does NOT
affect the wifi signal. As it has a plastic backing, there are no issues like the METAL backing on OLDER Asus Transformer tablets (100 and 200).

You can find my video review, mostly showing me using this tablet, doing various things. I recommend you use Lens Wipes like Walgreens sells
for LCD/Glasses, with AntiScratch/Antifog features. It has the Walgreens brand on the box, this keeps the screen responding as it should
without fingerprints and grease from your skin on the glass itself. For a nice tablet case, check out Amazon for SumacLife or other brands,
they have MID9042-8 in there product specs for tablet cases that work well with Coby, would recommend one with padding inside and a mesh
for storing any manuals, and pockets on the outside for the charging adapter and connection cables.
review image
139139 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2012
I didn't want to pay twice as much for Apple tablet so I purchased this tablet and I've had it about a week now and love it. I have my main desk PC for word documents and printing. after burning out my laptop and don't want to carry the weight around when I travel. I'm lucky enough to have wifi at work and home so I don"t need an additional internet source. The keyboard works better for my fat fingers than using my android cellphone. I've been pulling up apps and bookmarking my favorite websites all week to make it easier for me. The only disadvantage I'm having is when I'm on my home email site I can't touch and open the emails without the keyboard popping up and getting in the way. I'll have to find a solution for that. I do have limited knowledge on all the tablets out there in the market. I've only just oberve the galaxy, I pad and one other brand from co-workers. I've already attached the 32SD card which! was very simple for more memory. So far it is doing all the tasks that I want from it. When on the internet the speed is very good.

Also, for this price and the fact that these tablets, cellphones and computers become outdated so quickly it makes sense to not pay a lot of money for these types of adult toys,!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
Ok, I am DULY impressed. Since I purchased the Coby Kyros MID7015 7-Inch last year, I was so frustrated with its performance. It took me so long just to get it running, just to fiddle with the power button, and so forth...

But then, the sky parted and light beamed down.. No, seriously, I found out about this new model. All I can say is: Coby must've locked their engineers in a dungeon with little food and water, and said, "We won't release you 'til you make a better tablet!"

Sure enough, THEY DID!

This tablet, I guess since the touch screen is a different technology, Capacitative rather than Resistive, it makes for ease of use as well as hypersensitivity - if you want to know what I mean, two fingertips or swiping will make your screen zoom in or fly into another browser or app - once you master it, it's so intuitive, it's not even funny.

I can download apps faster, and add more than one email account (couldn't do so or knew how, on the earlier model). Other than the loss of Appslib (boo-hoo:() and Getjar lacking a few choice apps, I must say, I'm enjoying this tablet. Also, a friend, who is visually-impaired, explained that she could navigate it and the resolution for her was large and clear. She did not have to tweak the settings!

All in all, for the price, it's entertaining, gets more of what I need done on it, and once you master the swiping, dragging and other tactile taps, it's a gem. Can't wait to see what Coby comes out with next.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2012
The fix for those upset in not having the android market is a simple fix, find 1 Mobile Market as an application to install onto the Kyros and you are up and running with a great variety of applications (apps) for your new tablet. A must. Finding this on the web with the apk (application) is the challenge. Google it by searching: 1 Mobile Market APK

NOTE UPDATE : See under comments the link to upload to your tablet 1 Mobile Market and this will enable users the SAME apps as the non-accessible android market. Good luck and enjoy your new Kyros, they are not too shabby at all. Seriously. : )
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
So I ordered the 9.7 inch version of this, and I must say I'm very happy with my purchase. I received it yesterday and have been messing around with it. I'll list the pros and cons:

Cons: No google support. I can do without the Google Market, but none of the official Google apps will work. I downloaded the apk's for some google apps, but they crash as soon as they open. It's like it just doesn't want Google apps on there. I found some Apps in the Getjar market for google (Places, Gmail etc), but these apps actually take you to the Google site, but it's not an app native to your tablet. So when you click the Gmail app, it opens up the browser and takes you to Gmail. The Getjar market is nothing to write home about. I was close to trying to root the device until I found that it ran FLASH!!!!

Pros: It runs flash very nice! I downloaded an apk to Flash online and ran it. It installed great and works great. I can stream shows and movies just like I would on a computer. No app needed, just the browser. Once you get over not having the official Google apps, it actually work great. I got the Amazon app store, and I download all the apks I need online.

As far as the tablet goes, the build is solid. The screen is big and bright. The touch screen responds good, and it plays 1080 HD videos with no lag at all. Overall, so far this product has been working like it should. My biggest problem was the Google apps (Places, Gmail, Google music, Maps) not working, but I got over it. The way I see it, if it can run Flash then I'll use it more like a computer, and less like a phone. And computers don't need Google apps, so the ones from Getjar that link me to the pages will have to suffice.

For the price I'm happy with it. It's my first tablet, and since I didn't really need one (who does?) the price vs quality ratio is pretty nice. I'm most impressed with its ability to play videos without lagging, and since it runs flash nice, I can stream stuff from anywhere on the net.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2012
I am very happy with my tablet! I can't believe how much people pay for ipads when there are great alternatives like this. I easily solved the few complaints that you see in others' reviews. I am somewhat computer savvy, but not a developer by any means. I googled how to root the device and found easy instructions to follow. Now I have the Google Play store and all of the Google aps. Just be warned - there are at least three different versions of the MID9742 out there, so use caution when installing a custom ROM you find online. The first one I tried did not work so I had to play around a little more and get a very nice stranger in a forum to help me. Be sure you backup your tablet with ClockworkMod before you try to install a custom ROM (don't use livesuite). The directions are out there for people who have a little bit of computer savvy -- with a little effort you can make this a really nice tablet! (And even right out of the box it is a nice tablet, I just wanted full Google integration - which I now have.) It is quick and responsive and great for basic browsing, checking email, playing Angry Birds, following a recipe, reading, and other basic tablet tasks. No need to spend more on an ipad when this one does it all! :)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2012
It looked nice. The screen was definitely okay for the money and I was impressed by it running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. But beware the vast majority of the programs on Google Play Store are not supported and cannot be downloaded, and it will not sync with your other Android devices. By way of example, Pandora is not supported and cannot be accessed. LIkewise, Skype does not support this device and the video comes out unusable. Overall, I recommend you spend a couple more dollars and get a usable tablet if you can.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
Although it does not have access to Android market, you can install Amazon App Store on it. This is my first tablet and I absolutely love it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a larger screen tablet for general browsing, videos and support for typical PC types of files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint). I need to freely move these files between the tablet and a PC. The 9742 works very well in this regard with the USB and micr-SD memory slots. The browser is capable. But I had to search out and install the proper Flashplayer for most web videos to be playable. Why it does not have this out of the box is worth minus one star! The ICS based user interface is plenty fast for the above work and the improvements over the earlier Android versions are considerable. The unit seems well made and not particularly heavy for the screen size. Another review compains of sharper edges and a flimsy back and overall feel. I don't share this issue. (My older MID7015 seems like a brick in comparision ... maybe even acts like one .. i.e. much slower .. ;>) Besides, I am not looking for a long-term relationship ... In a few years the 9742 will seem hopelessly out of date as the technology changes. Many many apps are availble from the included GetJar Coby sight and several other sites (you will find with a little research) including the Amazon Market. It does not support Google play as of now, but that is not an issue for my use. So, all in all, for my intended uses the 9742 works very well and I think represents an excellent value. For what I do and expect, it is a far better choice than an iPad .. even if the iPad was far less expensive than its current price point. At the current Amazon price the Coby MID9742 is really an impulse type of purchase for many people. Tablets in the $400-500 range is more of an investment decision for most.

6/13/12 Update
- The flash player file name is com.adobe.flashplayer-111115007-11.1.115.7-2.apk I Googled to find it but don't recall the actual web site where I found it. It did take a couple of trys to find one that would download and then install. But all in all, was not too bad to pull off.
- The browser performance is S-L-O-W by almost any measure. I've tried Dolphhin and a couple of Opera's and they are all slow. My three year old Asus eeepc netbook is much faster for example. When I closely watch web sites load in Internet Explorer there are also delays (though shorter), the difference is that the Copy browser will lock you on the current portion of the web page where IE will continue to allow some scrolling while the page continues to load. Why .. I dunno .. but the Coby is disapointing for any thing other than very casual web browsing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations