5.0 out of 5 stars This is a little great Mp3 player.
Published on June 27, 2012 by jkim

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great...even considering the price
Published on September 27, 2012 by mtnbiker72

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a little great Mp3 player., June 27, 2012
This review is from: Coby MP820-8GBLK 8 GB 1.8-Inch Video MP3 Player with FM Radio (Black) (Discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have to say that this is a little great Mp3 player for low cost. Since I have good experience with other Coby product (Vitruvian and Butterfly iPod sound system), I bought MP3 player just for listening music after I lost my iPod touch. This is sleek design with touch screen, this is not good as capacitive touch like iPod Touch, but responsive for this low cost. GUI is very simple, unique(edge-to-edge square button, like the chessboard look) and up-to-dated design; it maximizes touch area for small LCD screen. It has folder tree system, so it's easy to create folder and navigate. Sound quality is very good with my own earphone and also has good battery life. One of good spec is dedicated volume button, so you don't have to touch the screen when you need to adjust the volume. I like the contrast, gun metal on the front and chrome metal back cabinet; it gives sophisticated hi-end look and feel. I didn't really expect this quality for low cost. I would definitely recommend this to friends.

PROS:
-Sleek design
-quality look and feel
-touch screen
-great sound
-dedicated volume button
-good price

CONS:
-I wish the Photo thumbnail preview icon is little bigger. (Not big dear because once you click any image it displays full screen and you can swipe through.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for price. Fine for kids and non-picky adults., August 25, 2012
80s game fan (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Bought one of these to serve as a 9 year old's first mp3 player. I was not ready to drop $100 plus dollars for an iPod when this 9 year old is not quite ready to take care of something that expensive. However, at $40 to $50, this was more suitable - not as big a problem if it gets lost or broken when left on the floor.

Looks are good - superficially looks and feels like an iPod like device so my kid will be happy she has something similar to what other kids have (you know how kids are).

I was fairly impressed by what one gets for the money. This won't compete with an iPod or high quality brand (i.e. Sony, etc.) but it is not utter garbage either. It's a good mid-quality mp3 player. The interface is well laid out and very easy to use. The software you put on your computer to import media (Coby Media Manager) installed well under Windows XP, was very easy to use, and converted everything I threw at it (audio, JPEGs and MP4 video) without problems. It will even rip straight from CD to the device. In fact, you don't even need to install the software, you can just plug it in to your computer and drag and drop media onto the device like a USB memory stick.

The touch screen works well enough - requires a little more pressure than an expensive iphone, etc. but that's okay considering you don't want to activate a function by mistake. Lack of a "hold" or "lock" button to disable the touch-screen entirely is a sorely missing feature (so it doesn't get bumped in a bag), but not a deal breaker at this price point.

The device recharged from a USB socket (on a computer, etc.) using a standard cord. Good feature.

Videos played on the device are small (160x120), but watchable enough for portable enjoyment. The screen is bright enough to watch in a normally lit room. I was able to download some music videos from YouTube in MP4 format (keepvid.com) and Coby Media Manager converted them without complaint. This was refreshing, as I am so used to the software that comes with cheap Chinese made electronics being utter rubbish.

The screen is better suited to 4:3 aspect videos, but will letterbox 16:9 videos. This WON'T compete with an apple retina display obviously, but for a 9 year old it's absolutely fine. She'll be thrilled at the ability to watch music videos on such a small portable device.

As stated by another use, top volume may not be loud enough to overcome a noisy environment. But in a bedroom or living room or walking down the street it should be fine. Personally, I don't want my child blowing out her hearing a loud portable music player, anyway. If you NEED it to be louder, buy better headphones than the cheapies included with this player, or buy ear-enclosing headphones.

The internal memory is 8GB, which should be good for most people (thousands of songs or several hours of video). There is no SD slot for expansion, however, so if you need more - or need to put lots full movies on the player, then this might not be for you - you'll fill it up quickly. For instance, a 3.5 minute music video after conversion occupied about 15MB on the device.

Now - as for the sound - it's GOOD ENOUGH for most people, and certainly good enough for my 9 year old. But I noticed a faint raspiness (digital distortion) introduced by the internal amplifier when the volume is turned up near maximum. I tested it with several good quality earbuds and the raspiness was still there on all, in the background all the time. The original MP3s are fine when played on other devices - so it's definitely the player's fault. When the music gets pumping and full the noise is masked to the point being inaudible, but on quiet passages you can hear it if you listen for it. This raspiness is very faint, and not immediately noticable - so it may not bother many people. For instance, my wife could not notice at all. But I am a musician and do home recording, so perhaps I have too careful an ear. So - if this were for MYSELF (someone who is very picky) I would not keep it. But I'm sure my wife and daughter won't give a damn about the slight raspiness in the sound.

I think for kid for an adult who isn't a real stickler for perfect sound quality, this would be just fine. If it weren't for the raspiness, I might even use one myself. It will serve well a "runabout" music player you don't have to worry about losing / breaking / getting stolen because you haven't invested hundreds of dollars into it, but will still provide enjoyment.

Four out of five stars because of the value it gives for the low price. If it were more expensive, then I would at something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great...even considering the price, September 27, 2012
Based on the previous two reviews I took a chance on this slick little MP3 player. When I first got it, it looked slick enough. I added music and plugged in the headphones and the sound was HORRIBLE! Grabbed my higher quality headphones and plugged them in and there was a significant improvement so the OEM headphones suck. But I can live with that, most do (including those ones from Apple). Now with the new headphones the sound was very bass heavy and to my surprise there are ZERO audio adjustments other than volume. OK, now I'm not liking it as much but I gave it another day to grow on me. But then I noticed each song starts about 6 seconds into the song. Again, no settings to adjust this so I tried resetting the player. It worked correctly until I turned it off and then turned it back on, then right back to the issue. This I cannot live with so it's getting sent back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mp3 Mistake, January 1, 2013
I bought this as gift for my sons father. He is Very old school. Thought this woukd be easy for him to learn & use himself. This coby 820 just stops working. It has to be reset w a paperclip in back pushing little button several times. Also it only charges w usb in computer. No adapter. Its frustratung because i've got to download the music, reset it & charge it. It was supposed to be for him to use & do all this, not me. FRUSTRATING! Shouldve researched more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, January 1, 2013
I bought this as a gift for someone who loves music and they were so thrilled.
It's ultra slim so can fit just about anywhere very neatly. The sound quality is also very good.

The screen is a little smaller than it actually looks and the touch screen feature will take some getting used to. I do wish that there was an expandable memory card slot but with 8gb that's still a lot of space.
The only real prob is the search. navigating though songs is a bit tedious. Each time you want to find a song it goes back to the beginning of the search instead of continuing from the last song played, but aside from that it works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth it, December 11, 2014
screen is a bit slow to respond, and the instructions are almost useless, but once i found out how to work it I fell in love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!, January 25, 2013
This is simply a really awful, cheap piece of garbage. The touch screen functions poorly, the graphics look like something out of a DOS-based program from the 1980s. I used the Coby Media Manager to sync my music to the player, but it only seems to recognize 6 of the dozens of albums I loaded onto it. Plus, the media manager software allows you to create playlists and supposedly sync them to the player, but there is nowhere on the player to actually play the playlists! Frustratingly bad design on so many levels. Please save your money and DO NOT BUY THIS! Even if it was free, it would not be worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars mp3 player-cannot load program to add songs, November 9, 2012
carol h (california USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased it and now cannot use it because my computer cannot read the download from the MP3 player so I can load songs. And I could not find any program on-line I can use. So I need to know what to do. I want to keep it...but if I cannot use it...I want to return it. Can you help me??? :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Brenda MP3 Player, November 8, 2012
I did not like it its very hard to set up and work the sound is not very good will by a better one later