5.0 out of 5 stars great compact dvd player for the price!
Published on May 23, 2010 by fullerton mommy

1.0 out of 5 stars junk!
Published on March 10, 2011 by someguyintustin

5.0 out of 5 stars great compact dvd player for the price!, May 23, 2010
This review is from: Coby TFDVD7009 7-Inch Portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player, Black (Electronics)
This is a great compact and light dvd player for the price. I was in the market for an inexpensive portable dvd player for my 2-year-old son. I also have the TFDVD7008, but my son kept touching the inside of the player that dvds don't play properly anymore. However, because I liked it so much, I decided to buy another one. I can't comment on all the technical features because I basically use it to play my son's favorite dvds, but I like that it's small, compact, and light. I can fit it in my bag and take it with me wherever I go. The battery life is about 4 hours, which is plenty! I like that it has a rubber grip on the bottom, so the player doesn't slide around on a table (the 7008 didn't have that). I only wish there was a menu button on the player itself and not just on the remote because I don't really use the remote. I also wish there was a way to store the remote in the player itself. That would be nice. Other than that, I really like this dvd player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, August 27, 2010
Janey Lee (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I felt skeptical about the brand COBY which I always thought was a low quality brand. The design of the DVD player is kind of ugly and the screen is small. But I give this product 5 stars.

- The price is fantastic. A DVD player is technology that will clearly be useless in a few years, so I wanted a cheap device.
- There is a "hack" to make this a multi-region player. google it.
- Its sturdy. My 3 year old and 20 month old kids were not able to destroy it in a 3 week vacation.
- Its easy to use. Really, idiot proof.

Cons
- Battery life is short. I bought an Energizer external battery pack
- Does not come with car charger or case
- I would have liked some way to lock the buttons so my kids can press things while the movie was playing.

I am planning on buying 1 more so each kid can have their own!

4.0 out of 5 stars IMO better then 7008, April 19, 2010
I got 7009 in retail store. I liked the picture quality so I picked one. First thing I noticed when opened the box, that there is no TV cable and Car adapter. Even here on this site in description of Accessories there is not ones. And then it became THE problem. I couldn't find it anywhere and ended up with buying two cables: One for audio (3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA) and one for video (3.5mm mono to 1 RCA). Last one I could find only in Radioshak Store. All together came to $12. Car charger for Coby on Amazon about $8. So $60 for DVD plus this accessories will come to $80. You count. This is the price of Sony DVD portables with such an accessories included. Besides that DVD screen menu all blur - horrible but ok, because film quality is pretty clear. You can adjust contrast and brightness for your comfort. Good thing is pretty useful remote control with what you can also turn on/off player distantly. It plays multi formats. So in my case 5 zone is needed and it worked well. Anti skip system is in work. Even some disks that my 8 year old Panasonic couldn't read Coby did. You can go between 4:3 and 16:9 ratio. TV out put works very well - nice quality. And it works in the car of cause with COBY CA-709 adapter (don't forget switch to 9V). Battery life (regardless it size) was enough at least for 2 movies and DVD was still on.Screen opens on certain angle only but you still can see clear if you sit aside (means you can share). There is inconvenience in charging. You have to turn off unit and plug in to wall charger. So if you watch movie in the car with batteries down then you stopped the engine your kids won't be happy I guess. It plays also MP3 and regular CD's. There are no additional slots like for memory sticks or USB. Controls on DVD is ok but a little confusing. Better use remote control.
All in all it's ok but I really wish those accessories would be included. As for unit life, how long it last - cant tell yet. Time will show.

1.0 out of 5 stars junk!, March 10, 2011
Junk, bought this DVD player, viewed about ten movies over a 3 month period and it stopped working. The battery wouldn't charge nor would it play a DVD if it were plugged into the wall. Sadly, Coby warranty is for only 3 months. It's almost comical that it died right after the warranty expired. Emailed Coby and asked for any help and got no response at all. Will admit the picture was good, sound is mediocre, warranty is non-existent, & Coby won't respond to emails. I'm hesitant to buy anything Coby makes because of this.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, December 16, 2010
This piece of junk arrived working, but with a screen that was almost completely dark. I was only able to make out a very faint picture. Using an LED flashight I was able to find the brightness setting on the screen and it did not help. I called Coby directly and they told me the only fix was to disconnect the battery for an hour and retry. Well, the problem is that once you unplug the battery the connection is so cheap that it won't reconnect. Basically, this item is junk...I was hesitant buying something from a company I have never heard about..now I have to go through the RMA process..Oh joy! I'd stay away from this item if I were you and go to your local store and buy a Sony or something else. Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD player, some design improvements would be helpful, October 12, 2010
I'll keep it short. Bought this along with the Coby car charger and the $15 case. All worked well during two 10-hour car rides with kids, but the volume control is on the right side of the player and is difficult to access when it is in the case. Also, the volume can't be adjusted from the remote. Finally, the remote is worthless if you have this thing in the case attached to a seat as the sensor is located on the front of the DVD player which is covered by the case. The sensor for the remote should either be located where the DVD is inserted or the remote should be RF instead of IR.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, April 15, 2011
I ordered my first one. When I opened it I put a dvd in and pushed play it said "Action not available at this time." Would not play a dvd at all. Sent it back and I got a replacement VERY quickly which I was very appreciative of since we are going on vacation soon. I opened it, turned it on, and it was just a scrambled screen. You put a dvd in it would turn but still a scrambled screen. Very frustrating now I want a refund not a replacement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable dvd player!, December 3, 2010
Charles J. (Mill Creek, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased this for my son. Nice picture. We have some European DVDs from another region and it works fine on them. Haven't checked the life on the battery, I assume it will last for one movie. If you travel, look for outlets on the plane, in the airport and charge as often as possible. Don't lose the remote!

If you want to keep your DVD player to factory settings, do not do this:
1. Open DVD Tray
2. Press the "Menu" button
3. Press 8888
4. Press the "Display" button
5. Region Code Number shows up. Use the numeric keypad to select your
region code number (0 - 6).
6. Press the "Setup" button to exit.

Choosing "0" opens up a whole can of worms because then there is no region specified and I wouldn't want you to be able to view any disc from any country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable DVD player, August 9, 2010
I recently purchase the Coby TFDVD7009 7-Inch Portable DVD player. The DVD player plays purchased DVDs just fine. I wanted to use it to watch previously recorded TV shows which I have recorded on my DVD recorder. The Coby does not play recorded DVDs. I have called the Coby company and Toshiba( my recorder is a Toshiba) and each company blames the other for the fact that it will not play my recorded DVDs. I am disappointed in this aspect of the Coby, but will keep the player for use in the car.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY POOR QUALITY, January 22, 2011
I ordered this based on the reviews for my 3 yr. old grandaughter, so far today we haven't been able to play even 1 movie through, it skips and stops all the time.We have only tried to use it on 4 different movies and it's 5 hrs out of the box. I will be sending it back unless the company sends me a new one soon. Hopefully the company will back the warranty up as this is very easy for her to use.

Rate and Discover Movies