4.0 out of 5 stars Small box with lots of features
Bought this after comparing the product with GPX (KMart/Sears) and iLive (Walmart). The plus side, this one has built in ATSC tuner compared to the 2 other brands.

Published 20 months ago by sonny

2.0 out of 5 stars Just out of warranty failed
Published on July 26, 2012 by E. Bryant

2.0 out of 5 stars Just out of warranty failed, July 26, 2012
E. Bryant "Astro" (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I having to revise my High Tech Cool review to a negative review. I really liked this device, but was unable to pick up anything but digital channels on cable or air. I contacted Coby by email one month after I received the device, but did not get a reply other emails also went unanswered until just a few days after the brief 90 day warranty was over then they contacted me to tell me the product was defective. Their answer was to return it to were I purchased it or I would have to pay shipping and send them a check for the return postage. Of course, since the item was now out of warranty there would be a charge. This the first and will be the last Coby product that I purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small box with lots of features, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)

Out of the box, TV function will ask to setup channel scan which is done inside the Menu. Menu can be accessed from button on the unit or from IR remote. The included TV antenna works fine, I just laid it on the table and it found 10 digital channels with clear picture and sound. Closed Caption works too.

The DVD Player is region free. It plays my disc from overseas which doesn't play on my blu-ray player. It also play movies burnt on DVD-R. There are some control buttons on the unit to navigate the DVD menu, Play/Pause but control for track/chapters/FF/RWD/Stop are only on the remote. There is AV RCA output on the back, just for DVD, not working on TV.

Audio functions: FM/CD/MP3 works fine. MP3 can be accessed from CD, SD card, or USB port. Sound quality is acceptable, if it have more bass it will be perfect. Another downside, there is no tone control anywhere just volume and mic volume. Menu to access file on SD card is simple but easy to navigate.

Overall, with the price I paid, this unit offer so much value. I'm happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
Unit arrived before expected date in perfect condition. I tried out the DVD payer (very good), the radio (very good) and the TV. TV picture very clear. You have to reset the channels when the set is moved to a different location. In the original location I received about 8 channels (regular and cable). Haven't tried another location yet. One of the main reasons I bought this one is because it works on 8 D batteries. Others had other type batteries that would only play a few hours. If you lost your electric power (as in a storm, etc.) you wouldn't be able to use it when the battery had to be recharged. As long as you have D cell batteries on hand you can have unlimited use of the unit.

Very satisfied with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrong time Zone.....No help from Coby, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
Bought one of these from J&R and I am very pleased with it overall. Reception is a bit spotty indoors in my office with the included antenna but I didn't expect miracles. TV picture is sharp & clear, much better than I expected. Included remote works well. DVD & AM/FM radio work very well and the audio quality is impressive for a small unit. Overall this is a very good product considering the price.

The TV also includes a program directory, so it displays the TV schedule of programs and times on the channel you are watching; very handy and works well.

My major complaint is the I can't find anyway to set the unit for my time zone, so all broadcast references are set to Pacific time, which is 2 hours behind my Central time location. Very confusing to say the least. No explanation in the instruction book on how to fix this. I've emailed COBY twice, but they can't be bothered to answer. I'm very disappointed in their lack of customer support.

If anybody knows how to fix the time zone setting please post it here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player, May 13, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I ordered 2 of these, one was in excellent condition, the second one had a MISSING SPEAKER! It was over 90 days before my Dad noticed that it had a missing speaker and I just couldn't believe it myself; so I gave him mine which was in excellent condition. I asked if I could have it replaced w/a new one and they said "Sorry, it's been over 90 days." Well, I can tell you I won't be buying another one. I'm so very disappointed. Y'all are probably saying that I should've checked them out thoroughly...I checked mine, although the one I gifted to my Dad, I didn't check out and he's hard of hearing and thought it was his hearing aid giving him problems, then he calls me to come over and shows me that the player was missing an entire speaker!!! Who in good conscience could every sell something like that!!!!!! So...now I'm out over $100...my bad...I guess!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, great buy!, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought this as a present for my mom and she loves it. It gets good reception and it definitely looks better than similar products.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
only have this a day, but it does everything I wanted...TV reception only ok with the enclosed antenna, but quite good with inexpensive RCA ANT111R external antenna.
I only wish it had a 3mm input jack that I could plug in my MP3/Ipod to play over the speakers.
I bought it for use in storms where the power goes out to stay in touch with the TV news. I also plan to play CD audio books to pass the time.
I'm quite satisfied I made a good decision with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best choice for emergency prep kit or camping., January 28, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
The first Coby that I recieved had a malfunctioning menu. It would only switch between two sources and did not allow picture set up. The replacement unit worked perfectly. The picture was outstanding. The sound was of higher quality than I had expected. The bass had reasonable resonance. It clearly pulled in every TV station in my area, near and far. The main thing that I like about it is that it works on D cell batteries. This means that you are not stuck in a power out emergency with a built in battery that died after two hours of play! The price is more than reasonable. I liked the Coby TFDVD777 so much I immediately bought a second unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE PRODUCT, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I received it in short time and it was a great product it works really good I got all the channels except only one channel KCCI 8 I tried several times but in vain overall it is a great product you got three in one Radio TV DVD player,

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
Such a great little product. I can take it anywhere, or even hook it up to a tv connector wire. It plays the dvd and radio without any connection. I put the tv next to my apartment window and the antenna on the window sill and it pulls in a lot of the tv stations with the included antenna. I haven't taken it outside yet, via batteries, but I will soon. Well worth the price I paid. I originally bought a RCA small pocket size tv but I lost the antenna, but, the antenna that came with the coby fits that just fine. I'm very happy with the unit cause it can sit next to me here by the computer or anywhere in the apartment for watching dvd's or listening to the radio. It's sooooo convienient. Soon I'll take it outside and see how well it works. If it works as good as I think it will then I'll buy one for my husband that has a job with a lot of down time. He'll love it.

Coby TFDVD777 7-Inches Portable DVD Player