If you are developing applications for the Mac, or are hoping to do so, this book is just the resource you need. Does it cover everything you will ever want to know about programming for the Mac? Of course it doesn’t. But it does cover probably 80% of what you need to know. You can find the remaining 20%, the 20% that is unique to you, in Apple’s online documentation.
This book, then, acts as a foundation. It covers the Objective-C language and the major design patterns of Cocoa. It will also get you started with the three most commonly used developer tools: Xcode, Interface Builder, and Instruments. After reading this book, you will be able to understand and utilize Apple’s online documentation.
There is a lot of code in this book. Through that code, I will introduce you to the idioms of the Cocoa community. My hope is that by presenting exemplary code, I can help you to become not just a Cocoa developer, but a stylish Cocoa developer.
This third edition includes technologies introduced in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5. These include Xcode 3, Objective-C 2, Core Data, the garbage collector, and CoreAnimation.
This book is written for programmers who already know some C programming and something about objects. You are not expected to have any experience with Mac programming. It’s a hands-on book and assumes that you have access to Mac OS X and the developer tools. The developer tools are free. If you bought a shrink-wrapped copy of Mac OS X, the installer for the developer tools was on the DVD. The tools can also be downloaded from the Apple Developer Connection Web site (http://developer.apple.com/).
I have tried to make this book as useful for you as possible, if not indispensable. That said, I’d love to hear from you if you have any suggestions for improving it.
This is a good reference manual for anyone wanting to learn Cocoa and Obj-C (to a certain degree) with the intent to build OS X applications. Read morePublished 19 months ago by Jared Hawthorne
great book for anyone who would want to study the old stuff if your going to study something new go get a new version not the crap...Published 21 months ago by christian
I was worried based on some of the reviews that this book would jump into the middle of the topic and leave me frustrated. Not at all! Read morePublished on April 19, 2012 by Jeffrey Smedley
I'm new in Mac OS X dev and this book has been a real help for solve the difficulties that i have found in the way.Published on October 3, 2011 by Luis Espinoza
This book teaches you by example. The problems are, the explanations are too brief and the book is clogged with technical terms that you won't be able to figure out unless you... Read morePublished on May 3, 2011 by Joseph Riggie
This book is one of the most poorly done "introductory" documents I have ever seen. The examples do not work. The book is so out of date with current cocoa concepts it is useless. Read morePublished on February 20, 2011 by JimR
I must say that this one is one of the best written technical books I've read in a while. The author does a great job at introducing the user to cocoa programming. Read morePublished on December 8, 2010 by L. Romero
This book suffers in the same way as two others that I've tried. XCode is frequently updated and the screenshots do not match the new version of the IDE. Read morePublished on November 27, 2010 by Mike Watts
With the recent introduction of the Mac App Store, I needed to pick up a book that would get me the foundation I needed to start converting my iOS app into a mac app. Read morePublished on November 7, 2010 by Samer A