Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on June 23, 2012
This is the second time I've ordered this coconut flour. It's great to bake with. This is my favorite recipe to make with it. I have also used this basic recipe and leave out the chocolate and make a raspberry zinger like cake by spreading sugar free raspberry jam on top of the cake batter and sprinkling unsweetened coconut flakes on top before baking. I buy most of my baking supplies at Netrition because it's cheaper and only costs four ninety five for shipping no matter how much you buy. Here's the recipe for the coconut cake. I use 3 eggs and a little more coconut milk and use whatever sugar substitute you like. I use a mix of liquid splenda, erythritol and stevia extract.

Chocolate Almond Joy Cake

RECIPE

4 eggs
¾ cup canned coconut milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
¾ cup coconut palm sugar
½ cup blanched almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 bar of 72% chopped dark chocolate

1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar with a mixer.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet with a mixer.
4. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
5. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
6. Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (Enjoy the smell of toasted coconut wafting through the house!)
8. Cool for 1 hour.
9. Serve.
33 comments195 of 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
After losing two full belt holes of girth around my middle in only 2 weeks after following the Wheat Belly diet (Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health ) I decided to give up wheat flour entirely, and have had some trouble finding a suitable flour for baking.

I originally used chana dal flour (also known as "gram flour," "garbanzo bean flour," or "chick pea flour". This flour, made from chickpeas, is available at any Indian grocery or here on Amazon under one of those names). I continued to lose weight by using chana dal flour but it has a somewhat bitter taste.

I then tried the Chebe line of flours ( Chebe Bread All-Purpose Mix, 7.5-Ounce Bags (Pack of 8) ) which is manioc (tapioca) flour. Very good, highly recommended, but the dough gets very chewy.

I then tried cooking with just this coconut flour, in total disregard of the package instructions, which recommends not using this flour on its own but instead substituting a quarter of your regular flour with this. Big mistake to ignore the package directions. It wouldn't stick together and soaked up a huge amount of water. Total disaster.

I'm now doing as the package recommends and I genuinely love this flour. It's totally delicious and I wish I could use it on its own, but it's just not realistic. I'm now using a coconut flour-Chebe blend, with occasional coconut flour-chana dal flour days. And I keep losing weight without any other changes to my diet.
44 comments156 of 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2012
If you are a low carber or even a weight watchers and you miss having cake, get yourself some of this product.
1 egg (for WW use 3 egg whites), 2 tbsp Coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, splenda to taste ( I generally use a couple of packets, but if you are using liquid it will be different, Mix this together and cook in a glass cereal bowl about 2 minutes in the microwave and you have cake! Top with a little greek yogurt or cream cheese sweetened with artificial sweetner and it's yummy!
77 comments128 of 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2012
I use coconut flour all of the time for baking. I especially line the canister it comes in, so it stays fresher longer. I also keep in the fridge. Coconut secret coconut flour seems especially lighter & fluffier than other coconut flours that I've tried. I was very pleased with this product & I will definitely purchase it again.
11 comment46 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
You'll have to experiment a lot to get cakes, pancakes, and the like to mimic the types you can buy from your local grocery. Sometimes, there are just some things you can't replicate.

Coconut flour is a bit different than other flours. Because all the oil is removed, it's very dry, and sucks up liquid like a sponge. Since it's gluten free, you have to add eggs, oil, or water to get it to behave just the way you want it to. Also, removing one or two yolks and replacing them with egg whites really helps with the final product, as you'll get a less eggy taste and more of a floury baked good taste. And if you're not afraid of fat, try and add a little more oil instead of water, and it'll really help with the dryness that some people seem to have issues with.

5.99 is a really good price. Sure, it looks like it's more expensive than those bags of all purpose flours you find at the grocery store, but is it really? Consider this:

Coconut flour is 45% fiber
Coconut flour is a good source of protein
Coconut flour is low in fat(for those who care)
Coconut flour won't slowly weaken you like wheat does
Coconut flour can last a long time.

I personally make coconut flour "tortillas" to take to school, because it's portable and freezes well. I use 2 egg whites, 1 TBSP coconut flour, and 2 tbsp of coconut oil. A tub of this lasts me a good month

Only complaint I have is that on the box, it says 1 cup of coconut flour for 4 eggs. I'd say that's too much coconut flour for 4 eggs. You'd need 5 or 6 eggs at least.
33 comments29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2012
I ordered this after reading about how healthy it is, and the food I bake with it actually comes out tasting very good. If you aren't totally grain-free/paleo, you can still benefit from the healthy aspect of this. My banana bread recipe is below:

3 large ripe bananas
1 egg, well beaten
3/4 c. sugar
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1.5 c. (whole wheat) flour
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/2 c. water, juice, or rum (or as needed to reach proper consistency)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Walnuts (optional)

Mash bananas well and mix with beaten egg. Add sugar and mix thoroughly. Melt butter and add to the banana mixture. Sift together remaining dry ingredients and add to banana mixture. Bake in a greased 5x9 inch pan (2 lb. loaf pan) or two smaller pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hr. If using smaller pans, bake for 40 min. Bread is done when toothpick comes out cleanly.
0Comment32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
I'm new to cooking without wheat/grains so it was a bit awkward at first. Though I have to say I love this product. If you want something to make breads for sandwiches I would not suggest this. It's great for making sweets though. Coconut flour is dense and requires more liquid than a wheat flour so that took some getting use to, but as a product this is excellent. It has a great flavor and aroma. I do suggest you keep baked products in the fridge though as I've found that coconut flour products spoil easier than wheat flour ones. I'm not sure why but it just seems that way.
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
OK, be sure you know this is really just ground up dried coconut! It is NOT exchangeable with regular flour! One must read about how to use it for success in baking. However, if you think of it as protein powder, or a substitute for corn starch, it is easy to figure out. A couple teaspoons in a smoothie, a little in the pan to thicken a sauce. If you want to bake with it, there are recipes in cookbooks, many for free online - coconutoil.com, and coconuttraditions.com, I think. (Google it) I mix a little in my kid's "just add water" pancake mix, with an egg, a little melted coconut oil, some ground almond flour and whole milk or almond milk...it makes the best pancakes and waffles, a lot more flavor and texture, with a lot of added healthful things. I am going to give it a try in muffins, I will follow the recipe as I have read enough reviews that this is not the place to "wing it" as I usually do! But love the smell and I can't wait to taste it in baked goods!
22 comments47 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
I thought this flour worked very well in our grain and sugar free zucchini bread recipe. It holds a lot of moisture and is very dense but tasted good. I think it is nice to have such great options for grain free baking. My co workers tried it and said if I hadn't told them they wouldn't have known it was any different than regular zucchini bread.
22 comments25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
I just placed my third order of this product and this time I bought two! It tastes excellent and its really good for you. I have substituted it into all of my baking and I make protein bars with it. When I make pancakes in the morning with it I can eat one medium sized pancake with Agave Nectar on top with some whey powder mixed in and it keeps me full and energized until dinner time!!! Enjoy!