4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info to digest and think through

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Helpful As I Hoped it Would Be
Published 12 months ago by sgreens1

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info to digest and think through, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
I chose this book to review because this subject is very personal to me. Without going into too much detail, I have a family member that has an addiction. It has been a very trying time for me over the past year. I actually own the original book CODEPENDENT NO MORE but I haven't opened it yet. However, when this book was offered to me I realized that some good would come out of me reading it.

Going to a 12 step program such as Al-Anon, Nar-Anon or Codependents Anonymous is something the book highly recommends. The format of the book is shaped around the 12 steps of Codependents Anonymous with each chapter going into detail about a step or two. The steps are similar to those in other 12 step programs with slight adaptations to fit Codependents. Each chapter has exercises and activities to make sure the reader understands the steps discussed. Since it can take months or even years to move past certain steps, it can be a while before the book is finished. However taking as much time as it needs to come to this understanding is beneficial to find healing.

There are some places where I am in disagreement with the author. I'm not sure if this is because of my faith vs. the theory but several times I felt that I could not agree with Beattie. I completely understand the need that I need to focus on myself and reevaluate how I am acting and thinking. Maybe I just read it wrong or I'm not completely understanding but there were times when I felt that it seemed that the addict or whoever is causing you to be codependent was not at fault and you were. To worry or even think about them at all seemed to be wrong. It's said that you might even need to completely cut them out of your life in order to make yourself better. The thing with that is that even if you DO cut them out completely and never see or talk to them again, you'll still think about them. To completely have absolutely no feeling for them is impossible or at least it is for me. Still it's a good thing because it makes you think a lot and helps you to reevaluate how you have been living your life.

While I feel that the info in this book is very valuable and highly informative, as a workbook it fell flat for me. When I think of a workbook, I expect to be able to write IN the actual book. If an exercise called for jotting down thoughts or creating a list, I would expect to see actual space and lines in the book to write in. I also would have like a questionnaire or a survey to take to evaluate how you were before starting to read the book. Unfortunately this workbook contains none of that. Anytime there is an activity that calls for writing, the reader is expected to write in an external journal. I don't like that because that seems to defeat the entire purpose of a workbook. It means having to keep up with an extra item and seems pointless. I would want to keep everything together and in the future having to keep referring back and forth between two books would be confusing especially if you lose one. Therefore while the information is greatly useful, the actual setup of the workbook failed.

This is a book not to be rushed through. I read it pretty quickly to finish it in time for the tour but it's a book that I will be going back through again more slowly to make sure that everything sinks in. I found that I have been doing a lot of stuff already that the book mentioned prior to reading the book but there is still more that I need to learn and practice. Regardless of any criticism I've had in this review, please note that I'm not in denial about any codependency issues that I have. It is something that I have to work on in my life and pray that healing and hope will come my way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BOOK!!! Extremely helpful to those who need it., May 17, 2011
I purchased this as a companion to her book, "Codependent No More." It was definitely a book from GOD! It is helping me so much and I've had it less than a week.
Anyone with addicts in their family or close circle of friends owes it to themselves to read this and her other book as well.
It will answer questions you didn't realize you had.
VERY HELPFUL AND HEALING!!
I thank God for leading me to purchase it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Helpful As I Hoped it Would Be, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
I purchased this workbook along with the original "Codependent No More" book. My issue with this workbook (and even in the original book) is that it is very religious based. I am not religious, so some of the activities in the workbook are hard for me to do. It is based on a 12 step program, and almost every step has to do with God. I wanted to return the book, but it would have cost just as much to send it back as I paid for it, so I am trying to work through the book by replacing "God" with "Higher Power" or the universe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Workbook for Codependency, March 19, 2013
therese90 (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
After I fell apart after a relationship, I found out i was codependent. This book really helps to explain the whys of the illness. There was a lot there that really sounded like they were talking about me in my situation. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good companion to the 'CoDA' green workbook., May 15, 2011
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
This doesn't replace the "CoDA 12 Steps/12 Traditions Workbook", but the "Codependent No More Workbook" is certainly a good supplement. Anyone who's working with the CoDA workbook knows it has a tendency to be thin in places. The readings tend to end a bit too early. And sometimes you want some more questions on a specific step. Beattie's book is very good for supplying additional material. It's also an unfortunate reality that sponsors are often unavailable in CoDA programs, leaving a lot of us without that guidance. While we don't rely on outside literature as our primary source, some additional materials definitely helps to fill in some blanks.

Whoo! The workbook is finally available on Amazon, so here's a link...
The Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions Workbook of Co-Dependents Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing My Life, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
I am working through this book and finding it very useful to help me work through a lot of things in my life. It's helping bring up things that have been unresolved in my life and helping me be a healthier person. I am realizing that all of my "issues" point back to my problem with codependency. This book, in conjunction with the Codependent No More book and with the daily meditations have been well worth the purchase. I would definitely recommend this book, but I think that anyone who buys this book would have to be prepared to take a fearless inventory of themselves... to let others go and invest all of their desire for change on self. It's a very hard thing to begin the process of change. But having started it myself, I feel that God is using these books to help me finally wake up. I feel like I'm waking up for the very first time in my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Eh..., March 8, 2014
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
Too much "god " mentioning ...exactly the same as the actual book...just buy one or other no need for both

5.0 out of 5 stars self help, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
I think this is a book everyone should have. I really feel positive that I am going to have a happier, healthier life.

4.0 out of 5 stars very helpful and good to use with the book, December 30, 2013
A very good companion and reinforcement of the book.Helps to explain the authors point.Good advice for using the 12 step programs, and finally it keeps that reader thinking about themselves.I read Co-Dependent about 38 yrs ago without the workbook and find it much easier to get the full meaning of the book using the workbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rating book, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Codependent No More Workbook (Paperback)
Excellent book chose this particular selection after reading Co Dependent No More.
I would recommend to anyone that has addiction issues.

Codependent No More Workbook
Codependent No More Workbook by Melody Beattie (Paperback - April 1, 2011)
$14.95 $11.66