From the Publisher
Coffee industry insiders present a succinct, straightforward guide which explains just as much as readers need to know to make sense of the specialty coffee trend and increase their drinking enjoyment, buying confidence, and brewing performance. Includes mail-order sources for great coffees, recipes, and a coffee taster's glossary.
From the Back Cover
Put your local coffee bar to the test with Coffee Basics!
With thousands of coffee bars and restaurants serving an endless variety of blends, roasts, and brews, ordering a specialty coffee drink has become as daunting a task as selecting a fine wine. How can you distinguish between great coffee and great hype? Read Coffee Basics.
Kevin Knox and Julie Sheldon Huffaker have filled this handy reference with hundreds of industry truths and trade secrets. You'll learn the fundamentals of coffee buying, brewing, and tasting; and develop an aficionado's ability to see beyond the expensive trappings of today's coffee explosion. You'll discover:
- The basic coffee facts: its origin, history, and many varieties
- Step-by-step methods for selecting, roasting, blending, and flavoring coffee "to taste"
- A coffee taster's glossary
- Simple charts showing grind progression, relative grinding times, and regional characteristics
- The scoop on decaffeinated, organic, and espresso beans
- Specialty coffee recipes
- Lists of the best sources for beans and professional equipment
Whether you make coffee at home or at a fine restaurant, Coffee Basics offers a bottomless cup of brewing knowledge and drinking pleasure.