5.0 out of 5 stars A great coffee maker
Published on November 30, 2010 by Lawton Pelfrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start - could be better.
I've used one of these for a few years now, and love/hate it.

First, the idea is sound and it does make a great cup of coffee. But it is NOT durable. Don't even think about putting one in a dishwasher, or the plastic will craze and begin leaking. To the manufacturer's credit, they do tell you this if you read the documentation.
And, if you store it...
Published on September 2, 2011 by Ken S.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great coffee maker, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
As one of many who is always looking for the best coffee maker, I was happy to try the Clever Coffee Dripper when it came out. I discovered It is easy and makes the best cup of coffee yet. If you like French press, you've got it here. The dripper has a stopper in the bottom that opens once you place it on your coffee cup - so you get a fresh cup each time. And clean up is simple. All you have to do is dump the filter and rinse the dripper - that's it. Here is how I make a cup: I place a filter in the dripper and wet it with hot water and then spoon the coffee into it (I use a digital scale to get the same amount each time). Then I pour really hot water into the dripper, put the lid on top and wait 4 minutes. In the meantime I pour hot water into the mug to get it ready. Then when the 4 minutes are up I empty the mug and place the Clever dripper on top - the stopper opens immediately and the brewed coffee empties into the hot mug. It couldn't be simpler.

Is it low-tech? Yep, but is a very cool design, too. Finally, I can have French press-style coffee without the clean-up. And you can use regular grind coffee instead of the coarse grind French press requires. Plus, if you are as picky about the heat of your coffee as I am, this is the only way to go. I heat enough water at just below boiling for the dripper and my empty mug. Hot, full-flavored and easy clean-up - a no-brainer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start - could be better., September 2, 2011
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
I've used one of these for a few years now, and love/hate it.

And, if you store it upside-down - the seal unseats and will dry out. The result is a puddle next time until the seal moistens up and becomes tight again.
The lid - if you get one - is concave and dishes inward. So if you're trying to max the capacity, you'll coat the inside of the lid with coffee mud.

Even with it's faults, I love the coffee it makes and just keep replacing them. I'm wearing out number five right now.

I'd LOVE to see this thing redesigned in glass or ceramic. And if the lid was redesigned to be convex - so the center clears the upper edge of the dripper by at least a quarter-inch - you'd have the perfect product IMO.

UPDATE - 03/25/12 - Number five is worn out. It lasted about 9 months, used between once and twice a day. It's never been in a dishwasher or microwave yet it is thoroughly crazed and leaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Coffee. Ever. (For the price), February 8, 2011
Michael (Spring Arbor, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
I'm not what you would call a 'fanatic', but I just have to have a good strong cup of coffee. I've tried most of the other methods with varying degrees of success. I liked the French Press, but couldn't deal with the sludge at the bottom of the cup. I'm told that the proper grinder will eliminate this, but who wants to spend $200 on a grinder? This is the best $20 I ever spent on a coffee gizmo.

Some others have commented that the coffee gets too cold, or doesn't make a good cup. All I can say to them is...you're doing it wrong.

1) Pre-wet your filter & pre-heat your cup or carafe.
2) Heat water to boil.
3) Take water off heat & start grinding your beans.
4) Pour water over coffee, stir, cover, wait four minutes.
5) Steep into cup.

If you grind your beans too soon, or if you let your water get too cold, that WILL affect your cup of coffee. With a little practice and experimentation, you can have a fantastic cup of coffee in about 6 minutes flat, and it didn't cost you $500 in equipment to get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes one cup at a time., January 8, 2011
hj (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
The Clever Coffee Dripper uses #4 cone filters, but only makes one cup at a time. Recommended time for steeping the coffee is 4 minutes. It takes about another minute to drain all the coffee into your cup.

It makes great coffee! Easier clean-up than a French press or a stove-top espresso maker. Better coffee than an automatic drip coffee maker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Great, Great, October 14, 2011
I jumped on the pour-over bandwagon years ago but, frankly, the pour-over movement has become pretentious and silly. I don't have time--nor do I care to--weigh hot water on a tared-out scale (and not just any scale; must be the "right" one). I don't want to be lectured for grinding the beans 45 seconds before infusing them (instead of 41 seconds!). I just want to make a great cup of coffee at home, without expensive equipment. In that quest, I own or have owned a Chemex, Melitta cone, Hario Woodneck, and a couple of press pots. I could make great coffee in each of them, but inconsistently. I never knew what I was going to get in response to a minute change (What if the water didn't exactly make it to 204 degrees? What if the grinder was just a little off? What if an errant air bubble prevented a tiny bit of coffee from being saturated?)

Enter the Clever. This is really easy: Flush paper filter, warm dripper (and mug), add coffee (standard drip grind works well enough--or maybe a tad coarser), add water, cover, stir after 90 seconds,re-cover, drain coffee into mug at 4-minute mark, say "yum."

As others have written, the result is a smooth, full-bodied cup and really easy clean-up (try cleaning a Woodneck--ugh).

I'm sold. Well, until the next best thing comes along.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite way to prepare coffee, March 31, 2011
bribo (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
I got one of these years ago as a gift. I use it nearly every single day at home and I absolutely love it. I purchased a second Clever Coffee Dripper for my work to replace my Aeropress (which also makes very good coffee). I find the Clever Coffee Dripper filters out more of the fine grounds and produces a much cleaner and tastier cup of coffee. Compared to the porcelain drippers, the Clever provides you more control over the steeping time because of its spring-loaded bottom. The only potential downside is that it only makes one cup of coffee at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Brewing Method, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
Pros:
Produces richer, more flavorful, more complex, and less bitter coffee than a French press.
Simple to use and clean.
Inexpensive.

Cons:
Can potentially break off footer tabs or damage unit if not handled with care.
CCD will only fit over small to standard diameter mugs.
Limited to making one mug of coffee at a time.
CCD does a fairly good job of insulating heat to maintain water temperature for optimal extraction but the exterior is quite warm which tells me it's still losing heat.

How I produce consistent and optimal results:
1. Use only filtered water. I use a Custom Pure MB Series filter.
2. Use a burr grinder for a consistent grind. Something like a Baratza Maestro Plus is ideal.
3. Grind fresh whole bean coffee within 5 minutes of using or it will begin to lose flavor. Grind somewhere in the drip coffee range.
The grind I use takes around 2.5 minutes for the coffee to drain completely from the CCD.
4. I grind 2 level scoops of coffee beans and bring a pot of water to a full boil, 212º F.
5. Next fill the CCD with hot water (with a Filtropa #4 natural white paper filter in place and no coffee grounds).
6. Next release the water over a mug. This warms the mug and CCD and flushes out any paper taste.
7. Next set the CCD on the plastic coaster and dump in the coffee grounds.
8. Next pour 1.5 cups hot water from your kettle into a measuring cup and then pour it over the grounds.
By this time, the water has cooled down to 195º F - 205º F which is optimal for coffee extraction.
9. Give the coffee a quick stir and place the lid on the CCD for heat retention.
10. Stir again after 1.5 minutes and again after 3.0 minutes, replacing the lid each time.
11. After a total of 4.0 minutes pour the hot water out of the mug and place it under the CCD.
12. This releases the valve for an excellent cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Coffee Dripper, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
I am a real coffee nut, and found this inexpensive item to be a gem. Although really only large enough for one 10 oz cup, it fits the bill for my morning coffee, and little clean up. Beats a french press hands down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Third and Last, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
Im now on my third CCD in aprox two years. The first one I broke a foot off, and the first two both cracked from top rim to base and leaked, I was able to repair CCD #1 with the product Goop which holds up OK and it now lives in the camping gear.This morning while making daily coffee,( Two cups a day ) from another room heard a pop and found the CCD leaking all over the counter. I pulled out my third one I had stashed in the cabinets in anticipation of another failure. Its a great idea, just needs to be be made from a better material. This kind of plastic wont hold up over time.I will not buy a fourth CCD, They are to expensive to not last more than a year, I have followed there directions and still have had two failures. Spend your money on a good press .

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried Everything this Little Thing is Genius!, July 10, 2012
Donna D (Camano Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clever Coffee Dripper (L) (Kitchen)
I own a café and am used to having really delicious espresso. I've tried a number of different gadgets including French press (too cloudy), pour over (not rich enough flavor) Aeropress and Toddy (both delicious but a hassle). I love this little guy she's so easy to use and wonderful coffee there's something gratifying about putting the gadget on top of the coffee cup and watching all the coffee just flow out. Excellent. Five stars.

Clever Coffee Dripper (L)
$22.00