5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Deaver is the Master of Suspense!
And he certainly proves it with The Coffin Dancer, a follow up to his immensely popular book The Bone Collector.
Published on January 10, 2000 by Karen Bierman Hirsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but not Deaver's best
Published on June 1, 2000 by Schtinky

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Deaver is the Master of Suspense!, January 10, 2000
This review is from: The Coffin Dancer (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
Rarely is one really affected by characters in a book but Lincoln and Amelia are different as is The Coffin Dancer. Expect the unexpected and enjoy the plot twists and turns because rarely do you find thriller that is so well written and so absorbing.
Jeffery Deaver is creative and unique with his plot, the situations he creates for Ameila and Lincoln are realistic and highly intense. I was on the edge of my seat through out the book.
Plus- this is one ending that will blow you away. can't wait for the next installment featuring Lincoln and Amelia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic "page-turner", June 9, 2000
M. Desoer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book gets 5 stars for being one of the most suspenseful page-turners in a long time; in my opinion far superior to "The Bone Collector."
"The Coffin Dancer" is the second novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme and his new assistant, Amelia Sachs, as well as several other characters that you will recognize from the Bone Collector.
As with The Bone Collector, time is a critical factor in the resolution of this case . . . a couple of potential victims of a hired killer (the so-called Coffin Dancer) must be sheltered over a week-end so they can testify at a grand jury hearing on Monday. The Coffin Dancer is known for his creativity, adaptability and persistence (you cannot change your mind once you have hired him).
The book's rapid pace, pulls you into the frenzy so that you feel like you are there, watching Lincoln and Amelia work toward their goal. As with the previous Lincoln Rhyme book, Deaver includes meticulous detail concerning forensics, primarily the recovery and analysis of trace evidence; I'm not a scientist, and cannot evaluate the accuracy of these descriptions, but they are fascinating. In addition, the ending caught me totally by surprise.
I ended up reading this book in almost one sitting . . . until late in the night, something I don't often do. A great Summer read.

5.0 out of 5 stars He Dances to a Different Tune, That's For Sure!, March 18, 2005
I can't remember if I took a class or went to a seminar that delved into the aspects of mystery writing. I do know that since then, very few in this genre fool me. In that learning environment, I was taught exactly how most writers plan their stories and how the "villain" is hidden. This knowledge has taken a bit away from the suspense of most books, but when one comes along that actually fools me, I usually cheer out loud. A whoop of pleasure erupted from me when I got to the end of The Coffin Dancer. It didn't fool me until the very end, but I was definitely on the wrong path and only figured it out right before Jeffrey Deaver let all of his reading audience in on the bad guy's identity.

The Coffin Dancer is the second book in the Lincoln Rhyme series. Lincoln is a quadriplegic forensic expert who retired when he was injured on the job and was unable to move any part of his body except his head and his ring finger. He was talked out of retirement in The Bone Collector and continues to help corral criminals in this next book.

Three murder witnesses are in grave danger when their testimony can put a millionaire arms dealer, Phillip Hansen, in jail for the rest of his life. Edward Carney, co-owner of Hudson Air, a small charter airplane company, is killed when his airplane blows up midair. The FBI comes in to protect the other two to ensure they are able to testify in court 45 hours later. Ed's wife, Percey Clay, and one of their pilots, Brit Hale are put in protective custody and the excitement begins. Lincoln and Amelia Sachs are asked to help identify the culprit and so begins the decent into tons of crime scene evidence.

This hired killer is the best and finding him is almost impossible, but the "almost impossible" is Lincoln Rhyme's forte. Lincoln and Amelia must find the evidence to stop the Coffin Dancer from striking again and eliminating the other two witnesses.

As with all of Jeffrey Deaver's books, The Coffin Dancer is full of action, tons of twists and turns to keep the reader off balance, and information on forensic evidence that I find truly amazing. This information might not be logical, but it does make for interesting reading! I was amazed that Lincoln Rhyme would ask for scrapings from the tires of emergency vehicles that responded to Ed Carney's airplane crash to see what trace evidence he could find.

Deaver's also continues the tête-à-tête between Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs in what is becoming a "will he or won't he" scenario. You find yourself cheering on the forthrightness of Amelia and hoping that she finally gets her man! Ok, so I'm a romantic at heart...

I'd have to agree with the Kirkus Reviews that state "Deaver is just as cunning and deceptive as his killer; don't assume he's run out of tricks until you've run out of pages." And I also concur that Lincoln Rhyme is like "Patricia Cornwell attached to a time bomb". Perfect analysis!

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a great thriller. Do NOT get this book if you don't have time to read because you won't want to put it down until that last page is read. Take it along with you on vacation so you won't have to stay awake on work nights trying to finish it. This is the perfect mystery/thriller!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like this one, NEVER read again!, June 14, 2000
I started this book a Monday morning right before I started working and couldn't put it down again till two days later when I finished it during lunch hour. This book is unbelievable. The afternoon I finished reading it I ran to every bookstore in town trying to find more Deaver books, its just unbelievable.
Anybody who tells you that this book is predictable is simply lying. Everytime that I thought I knew what was going to happen I was astonishingly not wrong, but dead wrong. There are plot twists in every corner.
Deaver's characters are intense. You feel the pain, the emotion, the enthusiasm, and the fear that the characters feel, and his villain in this book is so well thought out that it should rank up there in the all time great villains list. This is definitely a page turner, (And believe me I can talk because I was almost fired for reading at work). If you dont have enough time for nonstop reading don't read this one, at least not until the weekend.
Lincoln Rhyme and Sachs are simply wonderful characters who I enjoyed in the big screen but have found even more enjoyable in this novel.
Definitely, BUY BUY BUY and READ READ READ I'm sure you'll thank me later.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but not Deaver's best, June 1, 2000
I actually rate this at 3 1/2 stars. I read Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels in the wrong order. I started with Empty Chair, followed with Bone Collector, and finished with The Coffin Dancer. Of the three, I would have to say this is my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great read and I still recommend it! But the beginning is so much slower than the other two books that it fell below my expectations. I also believe that this book leaves Rhyme a little colder than he is in the other two books, which is kind of disappointing because this is the book that also builds up Sachs and Rhyme from co-workers to lovers. It took me awhile to get warmed up to this book, and I found the characters more lacking. Dellray comes across much weaker, but does have a great undercover scene that did him justice. I felt that Percey came across not so much strong-willed and independent like Deaver wanted, but more self-centered with disregard for anyone around her. Which to me, didn't make her very likable. (But then again, not all people are likeable, are they?) However, Deaver did not disappoint me when it came to the twists and turns that make his books so enjoyable. If this is the only Deaver book you have read, don't judge by this book alone. I still can't wait for Deaver to write a fourth book with Lincoln & Sachs on the scene!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Lincoln Rhyme page-turner, July 1, 2000
If you read "The Bone Collector", you'll be relieved that Deaver continues his streak f good fiction with the "The Coffin Dancer". Continuing to chronicle the exploits of Lincoln Rhyme and his beautiful assistant Sachs. Again they're chasing a creatively names villian (The Coffin Dancer).
The Coffin Dancer is the name of a very cunning hit man; hired to kill three grand jury witnesses. In all of his career, he has left only one survivor, who was only able to describe a tatoo that was on his arm, that of Death dancing with a woman in front of a coffin (hence the name Coffin Dancer...creative huh?). With the first witness dies in a airplane explosion, a FBI agent missing, and the grand jury deadline only 45 hours away, Lincoln Rhyme and his croonies have to hustle to find the Dancer before its too late, for once hired, the Dancer never backs down.
The body count in this one is high. The pace is intense, and the ever-changing narrative (from Rhyme to Sachs to the Dancer to the victims) keeps your mind whirling.
I liked the twists and turns in the novel, it was like an elaborate chess game (actually a comparison mentioned in the book). There was a sometimes strained attempt to add personal information into the plot (Rhyme's romantic past doesn't fit with the storyline and where it's thrown in sounds cheesy and soap opera-ish). Overall though, the race to stop the Coffin Dancer kept me guessing, and the plot twist at the end made the book all the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars First time reader, July 22, 2001
Karen R Gonzalez (Soon to be Frisco, TX) - See all my reviews
This is the first novel by Jeffery Deaver that I have read. I decided to pick it up after seeing the Bone Collector (I wish I'd have read THAT before seeing to movie!) I finished it an hour ago & am now looking for more of Deaver's books to order. It is impressive, clever & fascinating. It keeps you guessing all the way until the last 50 or so pages. Very unexpected ending. I love the real feel of Deaver's portrayal of Lincoln Rhyme & the strength the character displays against his handicap. Although there are a few times when he shows frustration with himself for not being the able-bodied person he once was, the way he seems to have honed his mind into a razor-sharp weapon is inspiring. The charachter of Amelia Sachs is also a great addition. I like the way she never lets Rhyme get away with openly feeling sorry for himself & in return, he is teaching her to perfect her skills in forensics. They make a great team & I look forward to starting the next book, The Empty Chair, in the Lincoln Rhyme series. I love the two charachters & hope there will be more books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally as good as the Bone Collector/Awesome ending!, December 12, 1999
Megan (Washington) - See all my reviews
This book is an awesome triller/ mystery/romance.Which keeps your spine chilling.The ending is incredible. I love the relationship between Rhyme and Sachs. They make great partners.Rhyme is incredible though he is a quadriplegic he still manages to out smart the killer every time.The only thing I didn't like was that the book ended. Jeffrey boy keep up the good work.And write faster. I just finished the book yesterday and i already miss Rhyme and Sachs. Jeffrey please write a third book with these great characters. I love these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deaver writes the best!, January 8, 2001
By A Customer
As a writer of over 10 books Jeffery Deaver can hold the audience in every one of his books. One of his best, which is also one of his most recent, is The Coffin Dancer. This novel of about 400 pages, is one of three Lincoln Rhyme novels. The first was The Bone Collector, and his newest is The Empty Chair, which I am reading. The Coffin Dancer lies right in between. Being a quadriplegic who can only move one finger, Lincoln Rhyme was one of the best homicide investigators in his field. He is now strapped to a bed. But with the help of his new partner, Amelia Sachs, he is using his mind, and her physical ability to catch killers. Now he faces one killer who seems to be able to outwit Rhyme himself. He is known as the Coffin Dancer, since to only victim alive long enough to tell about him said he had a tattoo on his right thigh. It was a picture of a woman dancing with the Grim Reaper in front of an open coffin. The plot twists begin from the first page, and I do mean the very first page, and don't stop till the last couple of pages. And while you may think the killer is named in the first couple of pages, he is not found out until the very last pages. While Deaver is gory in some ways, he knows how to hold the reader and plot together throughout. The shocking ending is sure to add to the signature plot made by Jeffery Deaver. And while I will not reveal the ending, since a book this good deserves to be read, I can say it was one of the best...challenged only by other books written by himself. In my opinion? The Coffin Dancer is the undisputed winner of the best book I have ever read. It had the best plot, the best characters, and most suspense out of any book I read so far...and believe me, I have read many, many novels. If there is one book of overall quality I would recommend to read, it is The Coffin Dancer. Intricate forensic detail, and breathtaking speed, combined with a masterful plot, creates a page-turning suspense thriller of the highest order.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEATH'S DANCING WITH HIS NEXT VICTIM, June 17, 2000
TheReader23 (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
This is the second book in Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series and surely places his main character in the NYPD history books as having the best criminalist mind ever. Since Rhyme is a quadripeligic, having been injured while on duty, all his work is done from his state of the art Clinitron bed in his townhouse on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. In this book, Rhyme actually leaves his bed and can be found tooling around in his Storm Arrow wheelchair. Considering that he toyed with suicide in The Bone Collector, this is a big improvement for Lincoln. His two level townhouse is equipped with every gadget imaginable to aid in his crime solving. Of course, Lincoln's biggest asset is the gorgeous Amelia Sachs whose mind is almost as quick as Rhymes' but whose guts and tenacity almost get her in trouble at every crime scene. Sachs is a risk taker but she gets the job done. She also takes some personal risks with Lincoln in this book.
The assassin is "The Dancer" named that by Lincoln because he has a Danse Macabre tatoo which shows "death dancing with its next victim in front of a coffin". The Dancer and Rhyme are continually outthinking each other throughout the book and this reader was amazed at how Lincoln can figure out what the Dancer will do next. While Deaver continually takes us from crime scene to crime scene, it is so interesting to see how just one piece of dirt or one trace of fiber can eventually solve a crime. This book is another gruesome offering by Deaver but if you like that kind of book, then this is for you. My only complaint, and this goes with most books in this genre, is how many innocent people are killed in their quest to insure the safety of one individual. In these books, the sought after victim doesn't usually die but everyone else around them does.

The Coffin Dancer (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
The Coffin Dancer (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jeffery Deaver (Mass Market Paperback - March 1, 1999)
$7.99