4.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting but a little big

Published 8 months ago by Robin Stryker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting but a little big, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
I love that these last so long. I was a bit surprixed at how large the tin was. I suppose it is justified since they last 3 hours. You open the tin and they have a pack of matches inside. These are great emergency candles but keep in mind they come with 3 wicks so to get the full 36 hours you light one wick and when it goes out you light the next. So, these don't put out a lot of light if you want the full 36 hours. Mine came and the was was pretty soft. My only concern is I keep my pack in my trunk so here in the desert I fear they may melt.

All in all it is a good emergency item to have on hand. I recommend the product even with its limitations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for lighting, but not for cooking, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
I purchased several survival candles for my emergency kit to have lightweight, self-contained sources of light and heat. On the plus side, the survival candles come in sturdy tins with weatherproof matches included. The candle burns cleanly and is odorless. The reason for my less-than-stellar rating is that the candle does not perform as advertised when it comes to cooking. According to the manufacturer, lighting two wicks should provide enough heat to boil water. I tested it indoors, below 5000' elevation, using two cups of cold tap water, an anodized cooking cup with silicon lid, and the Coghlans folding stove.

With two wicks lit, the water was still cold after 10 minutes. After another 10 minutes, the water was warm, but not scalding. I then lit the third wick. After 10 minutes, steam rose from the water, but it was not boiling. An additional 10 minutes still did not bring the water to a boil, and there was no discernible change in the amount of steam. In short, a 40 minute burn time was insufficient to boil two cups of water, which in my book, does not make the survival candles suitable for cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great emergency candle, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
I bought a few of these during last hurricane season. Just came online now to restock for this year. These work GREAT! They burn quietly and barely has an order. Three wicks makes for a very bright candle and they last a couple of hours.

Also, because of the 3 wicks, this guy gives off alot of heat. I also boiled a cup of water for some soup within 10-12 minutes (rolling boil). These aren't tiny by they are compact. I like to stack about 15 of those in the closet just in case. Knock out two tasks with one purchase. Great for lighting and great for cooking small meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit on the heavy side, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
Works just as described but if you are trying to minimize weight, this is not the product you are seeking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good emergency candle, April 12, 2013
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
They're small, cheap, and burn for hours so good to have a few around for emergencies. Just remember that if you burn all 3 wicks at once it only lasts 1/3 (or less) than the suggest time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe your bestir back-UP..., June 22, 2011
John Lochaby (Ft. Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
I have several LED flashlights and lanterns for my emergency kits, but this may be the best back-up for some light and a little heat..I think it is over priced, but it is the best (and most complete) product I have found available. Batteries do not survive long in the summer heat in Texas. I bought several for my various emergency kits. (I live in tornado alley).

5.0 out of 5 stars Survive and "Set the Mood"!, November 2, 2011
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
I bought these several months back in preparation for the "Rapture" that was supposed to happen. Now I have a bunch of leftover survival gear, including 83 of these candles, in my bunker. Even though the preacher was wrong and I didn't have to fend for myself in a post-Apocalyptic dystopia, I've gotten great use of these high quality strong-burning candles. The electricity doesn't always work well underground, so these are perfect for providing light in the evening when I'm writing letters to the President and the radio shows that I listen to on my transistor.

Turns out these candles are for more than just "surviving", too! They also double as "romantic" candles! You see, I was at the Army surplus store a few weeks back when I ran into a lady named Kathy. We got to chatting, and I found out about all the similar interests we shared. Like how Pelosi is a Marxist, how the 1969 "moon landing" was really filmed in a Paramount studio, how "American Idol" is part of a Zionist conspiracy to subvert American liberty, and how we both enjoy scuba diving.

So I invited Kathy over to my place. I felt awkward telling her during the bus ride that it's not so much of a "house" as it is an "underground survival chamber surrounded by 7 feet of reinforced concrete and steel." But when I assured her that it has an air vent and I get Rush on my transistor radio, she was excited to come over and check the place out.

First thing I did was light 4 sets of Survival Candles. Since each one has 3 wicks, they burn extra bright. And they burn extra-long, too, with a 36-hour capacity. Kathy and I stayed up for a few hours just snacking on insect grubs and talking about things like how to spot a Communist, and how fluoride in the water supply is probably what made over 60 million people vote for Obama in 2008. I joked that, with over 30 hours left of burn time on the candles, we had plenty of time for lovemaking. But she declined since she prefers to wait for divine conception and a virgin birth. But that doesn't mean the mood in there wasn't amorous! You could have cut the romantic tension with a 14" serrated graphite Bowie knife!

Anyway, I digress. Even though Kathy and I split up a few days later over a disagreement about Obama's birthplace (I still say Mongolia), I keep using these candles every single night. They are durable, high-quality, strong-burning products that will last forever, or at least until December 21, 2012.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read The Details....., August 12, 2014
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
Lit it, burned it, loved it. Only gets 4 stars though because the "36 hour" claim is a little deceiving in that each wick is only good for 12 hours. 3 wicks=36 hours. Their claim of 36 hours is most likely technically true (although I've not yet burned one all the way down to test it), but it's deceiving to advertise 36 hours in the product title and display a 3-wick candle. I know it's revealed in the little details on the lid but the photo & the caption lead you to believe all three wicks burn for a full day and a half. Nope. The 36 hours is only attainable if you burn each one separately. If you burn all 3 simultaneously, it's a standard 12-hour candle. There's really nothing special about the burn time of this candle but it does it's job well and you could get 36 hours out of it if you don't mind just 1 flame at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 13, 2014
ghostwriter "jps27" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
exactly what I needed for my home disaster preparations.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have been wanting one of these for camping, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Coghlans 36 HOURS SURVIVAL CANDLE,6 OZ (Sports)
Mine came on exact date as promised, the box it came in was dented in and the tin had a few dents in it but that's no big deal to me,the matches were in it, all in all i like it and would gladly buy more of these.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›