5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to Cognitive Psychology book
Published on March 8, 2010 by A. Neogy

1.0 out of 5 stars Descriptions were confusing.
Published on May 19, 2008 by JennieJenn

1.0 out of 5 stars Descriptions were confusing., May 19, 2008
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
I am a graduate in psychology and have read many psychology books in my student career. This book was poorly written and the organization was horrible. When Sternberg would be describing a study, often his descriptions were confusing and unorganized. If a professor was thinking about using this book for his or her class, I would strongly suggest otherwise. There are other books that are better. For example, Ronald T. Kellogg's book Cognitive Psychology would be more helpful and the descriptions are better worded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to Cognitive Psychology book, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
I'm shocked that the average rating for this book is 3 stars. It's really closer to 4.5, IMO. I'm a 4th year psychology student with 99 semester units, so I've been through a number of psychology texts. This textbook is an excellent introduction to the field of Human Cognition and is well written and easy to read for an ordinary psychology student. Concepts are well explained with examples, and plenty of diagrams are offered throughout the text. The chapters are a bit lengthy, ranging from 35-50 pages- which is the only downfall IMO. At the end of every chapter, there is a summary of the key ideas and a list of some vocab terms. There are exercises filled throughout the book. I would highly recommend purchasing this textbook as a supplement to psych lectures. If there would be one thing to change though, it would be to make the chapters shorter in length- around 25 pages, in order to better digest the material. Other than that, def one of my favorite texts to work with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good theories put forward in a poor manner, July 16, 2009
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
The context of the book is very technical and not written in an enjoyable relaxing read. It provides solid theories but Sternberg makes it sound like irrefutable fact rather than a theoretical model that can be discussed. An example he provides a theory of attention and conscious making a person's thinking robotic.

Although it provides solid theories and good evidence to back them up cognitive psychology is an exploratory discipline in the psychological field still. Sternberg did not take biopsychology into consideration rather making cognitive psych sound like he knows everything in it. I must disagree with his writing style because science is always evolving and new psychological theories are being presented every day.

Overall if you must use this book do so but don't overstress your mind with so much technicality. Don't let this textbook make cognitive psych seem conclusive in every aspect because it's not. For people that don't like too much technicality then this textbook might be a pass. Psychology is a dynamic science so don't let one person's book make it seem conclusive.

Content deserves 3-4 stars
Presentation 1 Star
Enjoyability 1-2 stars
Stimulation 2 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars A Student's Perspective, October 5, 2008
Alison C. Weed "aliweed" (Jackson, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
I really like the way the book is laid out, very logical. I've noticed that my professor overlaps with the book a lot, which is great because the book definitely gives more details and in depth explanations. All in all great book for this field of psychology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my daughter who teaches psychology at the high school level., July 3, 2014
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
Bought this for my daughter who teaches psychology; she liked it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Condition, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
My order arrived sooner than I expected, and although this is a purchase is mainly for school,
I will definitely keep it for future reference. It came in great condition!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal on text book, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
Even though I get all of my text books in digital form, I do like to have a hard copy for some classes. This was a great deal for this book, although it did have one page missing from it. Since I bought it used, I wasn't particularly upset about one page missing. Other than that the book was in pretty good condition. I would definately purchase from the seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cognitive Psychology, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
This is a good overview for Cognitive Psychology. It works well in my Psychology class. Sternberg does a good job explaining concepts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cog. Psy., August 28, 2012
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
Ordered this book for my Cognitive Psychology class. In my opinion, I found the book to be a bit boring, which made it harder for me to follow along. However, it got me through the course, so I can't complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology (Hardcover)
Received quickly, and it is in top shape. The mail person put it in an area not looked at often, so I will have to talk to them. Otherwise... great service.

Cognitive Psychology
Cognitive Psychology by Robert J. Sternberg (Hardcover - March 19, 2008)
Used & New from: $3.82