Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

I own quite a few lenses, including some higher end Nikon glass. It was getting cost prohibitive to buy all the filters I wanted for all the lenses, since I have 4 filter sizes. The Cokin P system seemed a reasonable choice.

I do not do much with very wide-angle lenses, I seldom go below 35mm, and I have yet to have a real problem with vignetting. Most of my work is done with 50-120 ranges, and these filters seem to work great. My 24mm lens will sometimes have some dark fringes.

The plastic filter holders do seem a little cheap, and I always expect the filters to fall out, but they never have. I have managed to break one or two filter holders, but at $20, they are not a major expense. I splurged and bought one for every lens that I use regularly with filters- it is easier than screwing them on and off.

The quality of the filters seems ok. I have never had a shot ruined by anything I could attribute to filters. My most commonly used filters are the NDs, both fullframe and graduated, polarizers and diffusion filters. The ND's save a lot of photoshop time, and if I had to buy them for every lens, I don't think it would be worth it.

Because of the interchangeablity, I also find myself buying "crazy" filters, like starbursts, that would be tough to justify for just one filter size.

I am not a fan of the two piece cases that the filters come in- they can be tough to manipulate with one hand and in a hurry. I tried taping one side of the lid to the case, but it is still clumsy. The Cokin filter carriers are a waste of time- they are designed to carry the filters in their plastic packages. By the time you get a ND filter out of this combination, the sun has probably already set. I really haven't found a good way to carry P-series filters. I also do not seem to have the talent to remove a filter from its case and get it in and out of the filter holder without a finger smudge.

One thing I didn't count on was losing the ability to use the original lens hoods- they just don't work with the adapters. This is really a problem with some of the longer lenses I have- you can either use filters or lens hoods. I seem to have ended up buying PL filters for all my long lenses- sort of ruining the advantage of the Cokin system. The Cokin lens hoods are a joke.

In summary- The system does work pretty well, and has saved me money and allowed me to maximize my lens/filter combinations. The lens hood is a problem, and I could see how others have complained of vignetting on short lenses. I would recommend these filters to anyone who has two or more filter size lenses, and likes to play with filters.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2010
I use Canon 5D Mark II with EF 24-105 lens. It was a bit disappointing to find out that the filter holder shows in the corners at 24mm. I should have bought Z series, but did not want to spend extra $$$. Instead, I decided to try Cokin BPW700 Filter Holder, P Series, Wide Angle and it appears that it would be a better option. Unfortunately, BPW700 holds only one square filter with one circular filter. Other than that, I am satisfied with the Cokin system product
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2008
If you're buying this product with the 77 mm adapter ring, you likely own/use pricy lenses and might be seriously involved in photography whether pro or hobbyist. Nice prediction is that you might not like this product at all!

- While it does the job, i.e. holds filters, it is made of really cheap plastic. I don't mind but inserting a filter is not something I enjoy. Lifespan seems to be long but each time I use it I swear it's gonna be the last time :(

- While it holds up to 3 square filters + one circular, which is nice, forget about wide angle shots. Forget focal lengths below 28-30 mm--especially for these landscape long exposure/small aperture shots--the filter holder shows in the corners--check your viewfinder or LCD screen before you leave the photoshoot spot as chances are you'll have to re-shoot. What's the point of using pricy quality lenses if it's to add ugly non-artsy vignetting to your shots, eh? :(

- While I carry this item in my photobag, I end up holding filters in my hands most of the times, i.e. the filter holder is useless; both uneasy and inconvenient. Turnarounds:
i. purchase the Cokin BPW700 Filter Holder, P Series, Wide Angle but you end up w/2 redundant products in your photo bag while a single one with a better design would have been so convenient and simple,
ii. purchase larger filters and use them handheld :(

- Last, the manufacturer claims this is a super flexible product/system. It is...but only if you purchase smart accessories of the same...brand :( Example: say you put big bucks into a third party 77 slim circ pola filter w/o front thread, you better buy a cokin pola to combine pola and whatever P filter using the filter holder as you won't be able to put both on your lens :(

Bottom line: I just hate the design and built. It might work for you but my recommendation is to take the time to think your purchase and/or borrow one from a friend, ask his/her opinion and go field-test it!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2011
These things are virtually impossible to find in 77mm. My wife inherited an A system from her father who used it forever. Since we upgraded cameras, a new Cokin system was required. They both love the Cokin products. I was suprised to find the filters made of plastic/resin. Her A system was purchased in the '80's and none of them have a single scratch. This mount feels plasticky(?) for lack of a better word, but it is resilient. I could break a skillet in a sand pile, yet this thing has survived. Just saying for the price you can't go wrong. I was wrong to expect this item to break due to my own preconceived notions, it works. We don't see any vinetting at 17 mm as in some other reviews, that is the widest lense we own. I researched Lee prior to purchasing the Cokin system. For the hobbyist advanced amateur photographer I am married to, this price point was much more suited to its use. Bought this specifically for grad ND filters. The round one from a german company, that cost two fingers and an elbow joint-not quite an arm and a leg, I purchased initially is of wicked quality, but she likes the square grads better, says she can adjust the filter to the horizon and not change the perspective. Momma's happy, 'nuff said. And I used wicked in a review!
on May 12, 2009
Nothing special about this filter holder. It does its job. I've used it several times now, and it has become a permanent fixture in my camera bag. I bought a Singh-Ray Reverse Graduated Neutral Density filter and it fits the Cokin P just fine. The GND is a must for landscape photos where the sun is in the frame near the horizon. And the Cokin P's a good and cheap holder.
on May 30, 2010
I wanted to play with some filters after going on a trip to Yosemite. I didn't want to break the bank, so this was a great place to start.

I can swap the filters from one lens to another lens with just new adapter rings.

This works just fine on a wide angle (17mm) lens on a cropped body (1.6x).

FWIW, I bought some non cokin branded filters and adapters after buying this, and those seem just fine to me.
on March 21, 2014
I picked this set up along with a ND Grad 8 for my D700/Nikkor 28-300mm. Did some test shots with it yesterday, and come to learn that it physically fits the lens just fine, BUT at 28mm, you can see the left and right sides of the filter holder. My initial test was using it in conjunction with a circular polarizer. So I removed the polarizer and installed the adapter ring straight to the lens. I can still see the filter holder to about 30mm.
on July 1, 2011
Not much to say about this other than it works for what it is. It may not be a Lee filter holder but for the price you can't go wrong if you have filters that fit this holder.

I understand Cokin is going through bankruptcy and may be bought by another manufacturer. I'd hate to see them go away, they've been around for a long time.

on July 10, 2012
If you already have a Cokin Filter Holder, just buy the Cokin 77mm Adapter Ring for $19.00. There is no such thing as a 77mm Filter Holder. There is just one Cokin Filter Holder for all Adapter Rings..
on January 10, 2013
Filter holder and adapter Ring are made well, with the adapter ring made from metal. Screws on securely and removal is also quite easy. You have to remove the adapter ring to put your lens cap on or to use a hood.

See 1 answered question