5.0 out of 5 stars Died Laughing
Watched this on Comedy Central and can't wait to get the DVD. We loved the old variety show format (much like the Bing Crosby and Andy Williams Christmas specials from the '70s), right down to the canned applause every time a guest is introduced. Good variety of musical guests, too. And how can you not love a show that has the world's filthiest ode to nutmeg (courtesy of...
Published on December 1, 2008 by kojak

3.0 out of 5 stars I think my arteries are clogged from all the cheese.
I love Stephen Colbert, but this is not what I was expecting. Sure, we got some laughs, but if you aren't expecting a two hour sing-a-long, take heed. Another reviewer noted that it was a Christmas Classic, but I'd beg to differ. A Christmas Story is still king. This doesn't even hold a candle to it. In fact, I actually felt embarrassed for Colbert for the first five...
Published 12 months ago by troubleshootermcgavin

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Christmas Special All-Around!, December 4, 2008
"A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!" is a fantastic Christmas special sure to be watched not only once a year, but multiple times throughout the year.

Each song in the special has a great tune, along with very clever and funny lyrics. You will surely have the songs stuck in your head, even after only one viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the music, December 13, 2008
Paul "Paul" (Bellingham, WA) - See all my reviews
The music is the best part of this DVD, so do yourself a favor and download it from iTunes. The artists, all talented singers in their respective genres, poke fun at themselves with witty and subversive lyrics. The music is cant-get-it-out-of-your-head catchy, and the production values are first-rate.

The bonus track "Cold,Cold Christmas" is one of the better cuts, but "Please Be Patient" and "Have I Got a Present For You" are instant classics for the hell-bound atheists among us.

The video portions of the program... I didn't find quite as hilarious. But they are still far better than almost anything else on TV, and they are vintage Colbert. So if you don't like it then you simply don't "get" Colbert.

Or put another way: if you "get" Stephen Colbert, you will love this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?, August 5, 2014
Has become a Christmas tradition to watch this every year. Colbert is my hero, and his character is one of the funniest and most original of all time. Hilarious, satirical Christmas songs sung by famous guests (and Stephen) in a parody throwback to the TV Christmas specials of yesteryear.

Why are you not ordering this immediately? Are you HIGH??

5.0 out of 5 stars What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?, February 10, 2012
Jimmy "Showtime" (Orem, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This special has in my mind become the best of all the specials/films created about Christmas. Among those that I consider greats are A Christmas Story, Bad Santa, Christmas Vacation, etc. Colbert has created a show here that masterfully combines razor sharp humor with a perfect balance of sentimentality. I am an agnostic (I used to be a religious man) but when I watch this show I feel like this is what Christ would have wanted in a Christmas special (assuming he ever existed). I realize that that statement sounds bizarre, but I genuinely believe it. If Christ did exist I feel that he would try to find the humor in the midst of life's seemingly endless tragedy. I don't think he would be offended by the Willie Nelson song or the Nutmeg song. It seems preposterous that a god would feel slighted by a mere mortal anyway. Furthermore, the songs that were intended to be taken seriously were genuinely touching. In them Colbert gives us a rare glimpse of what he really believes and when I listen I feel a good feeling. The song, What's so funny about peace love and understanding?, is heartwarming. In a world full of hatred and pain, setbacks and heartbreak, what is so funny about peace, love and understanding? I think it's worth asking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching this has become our holiday tradition, December 8, 2011
Brooklyn Mom (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
My husband and I saved this on our DVR and have watched it every holiday season...now I'm finally buying the DVD to have the extras. I disagree with the reviewers who call it "negative"; I think it's hilarious and yet very holiday-affirming. But it's definitely not something I'd let the kids watch, between Willie Nelson's song about bringing weed to Jesus, and John Legend's raunchy ode to nutmeg. We find it hilarious though! And I'm sorry, but the songs are really well done, especially the version of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding."

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, for truthiness sake!, January 19, 2009
Berta (Milford, CT) - See all my reviews
Cdn't find this anywhere -- sold out everywhere; but my 36-year-old daughter had to have it. Enter Amazon. My 4 and 7 year old grandchildren love it + all the x-tras. Really, with unreal Stephen, what's not to love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, December 30, 2010
M. Ward (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews
This is Colbert at it's best. A satirical look at Christmas and all it's traditions with some talented people to help him out. If you like Colbert, you will like this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired and Deranged., November 25, 2008
This review is from: A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All! (DVD)
Loved it! I enjoyed all the references to the hokey celebrity xmas specials of my youth. And the nod to Pee Wee Herman's xmas special - a classic. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when Stephen chimed in on Willie Nelson's homage to xmas weed. It's a direct musical quote from the strangest xmas duet of all time --- David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing Little Drummer Boy. YouTube it. It was surreal then, it's surreal now. Hats off to the songwriters. Very, very clever all the way around. And Jon Stewart!! What a gem! ("And now, for the Hannukah portion of the show . . ." to quote Mrs. Rene from Pee Wee's show.) And did I catch a Kirk/Spock moment there through the cabin door? I got goosebumps.
Can't recommend it highly enough. If you have a bent sense of humor and love pop culture this show will push your buttons.
p.s. I can't tell if Toby Keith is in on the joke or not. It reminds me of Warhol's Tomato Soup can. Soup. Art. Soup. Art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pitch Perfect Tribute to 70s Holiday Schlock, November 25, 2008
This review is from: A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All! (DVD)
As fun as a beanbag, an Atari console and a bowl of Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

I grew up enduring and enjoying the cheesy "adult variety" holiday offerings of the 70s, which supposedly appealed to the tastes of parents staying up late wrapping gifts or assembling Big Wheels for their kids. Sonny & Cher, Rowan & Martin, Andy Williams, Burt Bacharach & Angie Dickenson, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett, Steve & Edie - there are elements of all of these performers in Colbert's fluffy and funny Christmas special.

If you are expecting cutting edge political humor or high brow satire, you will be disappointed. This is all treacle, slapstick and a big dose of absolute nuttiness (or nutmeginess, to borrow the title of John Legend's hilarious homage to the sexy spice).

I laughed out loud the first time I watched and laughed even louder the second time.

I hope this becomes a tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars especially if you like Stephen Colbert, January 11, 2015
If you watched the Andy Williams, Bob Hope or other Christmas specials when you were young, this will be particularly hilarious. But even if you didn't, it is still hilarious, especially if you like Stephen Colbert. Or even if you don't. Oh heck, it's just plain hilarious! It's the Christmas special parody that you always wanted and didn't even know you wanted. I LOVE the duo with Willie Nelson. If you know/like the duo of Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy, then you just might laugh yourself silly watching that. I did!

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!
$19.99 $5.18