Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

Cold Light of Day [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$9.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 23, 2012
OK, having seen this movie I know first hand that this movie is not as bad as it is made out to be by ALL the reviewers here on Amazon. I won't go over the plot and the actors, as they have been dug deeply into in the previous reviews. Instead, I shall tell you it like it truly is.

The movie, 'Cold Light Of Day' is a good, decent action movie. You get pulled in and it never lets you go. Why? Well, you just don't know who to trust and what is around any given corner. Sure Henry C. is made out to be a "super spy" instead of the stockbroker he seemingly is, but that's OK, as it truly doesn't deter you from watching the movie. My guess is this movie was made a couple of years ago before his upcoming blockbuster 'Superman - Man Of Steel' comes to our screens. Sometimes these kind of direct-to-DVD movies sit on shelves for ages until one of the leads becomes famous. (Take, for instance, 'Cabin In The Woods' with Chris Hemsworth, filmed in 2009 and released this year due to 'Thor'!)

Anyway, I digress. But I do agree that Bruce W. is wasted in the role of the father living on a boat with his wife, Caroline G. They have moved around, as a family for years, but now have all the kids around the table (on said boat) for the first time in a while. Rafi G. as Henry C's younger brother is wasted film fodder, much the same as his GF, the lovely Emma H. More than a hint of 'Bourne' runs thru Henry C. but unlike that other action character, this one "feels" real in his mistakes, wrong turns, pain.

Verónica E. as Henry C.'s "love interest turned sister" is both beautiful and full of action angst herself. Mind you, when being chased by Sigourney W. thru the streets, and coming off their moped rather badly, they both get up - and she, wearing a short skirt throughout, hasn't a scratch on her delicate thigh in the slightest! And, they both get back up and on the broken bike and roar off!

Joseph M. as the main bad guy is a treat to watch, but gets predictable very quickly. I mean, Henry C. has three (3) clear cut chances to kill him or at least badly wound him to stop him trying to kill them, but never takes the shot. Instead he tries to chat his way out of things! For me though, Roschdy Z. as the bad guy/good guy is brilliant! His voice, with that vibe of Morgan Freeman running through it, makes the last third of the movie his own.

Anyway, running at 93 minutes, filmed in Spain (so great scenery), and staring some big names that yes, I agree, were doing "paycheck movies," 'Cold Light Of Day' is definitely not to be taken seriously - but then again, are 'Bourne' and 'Taken' and all those others?!

Russell A. Trunk
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A well traveled family has a reunion in Spain. The son, Will (Henry Cavill) is spending a lot of time on his cell phone as he just got a call his company is bankrupt. In spite of the sad violin music, they didn't bother to develop his character at this early point for me to care. Later, his brother Josh (Rafi Gavron), Dara (Emma Hamilton) and mom (Caroline Goodall) are kidnapped and ransomed. We discover Dad, Martin Shaw (Bruce Willis) is in the CIA. He and son Will must find a way to save their family in 24 hours. The kidnappers are demanding the return of a briefcase that Willis doesn't have, one that his case worker Jean Carrack (Sigourney Weaver) has already turned in.

Yes, that would have been a great movie, except Willis doesn't get paid past the first 20 minutes and Cavill has to outrun horses and defeat the bad guys alone. So let's see, he doesn't trust the CIA. The police are after him for a murder he didn't commit. Armed with his dad's cell phone and enlisting the help of some movie eye candy (Verónica Echegui), Will sets out to save his family. Pretty standard stuff and then we get to the expected twist. At this juncture, the movie almost caught my interest, except that Henry Cavill never becomes convincing in this role. Instead of Henry being a stock broker, they should have made him a karate instructor, or an Olympic marksman giving him a skill he could use...No wait! He did use the cell phone.

F-bombs. No sex or nudity. 2 1/2 stars
on November 19, 2012
Henry Cavill (Theseus of Tarsem Singh-directed epic "Immortals") plays a young American businessman Will, who has just arrived in Spain to meet his family. While out on a yacht with his father Martin (Bruce Willis), mother Laurie (Caroline Goodall), young brother Josh (Rafi Gavron) and Josh's fiancée Dara (Emma Hamilton), Will makes a mistake and one of them gets injured. To buy a medicine, Will goes on shore alone, but when Will comes back, he finds everyone on the boat has disappeared.

"The Cold Light of Day" starts promisingly, and then it slowly loses momentum through a whole heap of cliché. Without revealing too much about the story, the US-Spanish thriller is about an American on foreign soil, who gets involved in a web of intrigue.

The film's basic idea (a bit sounds like "Frantic") is not bad. The problem is its poor execution. In short, the film has no style. Characters, storytelling, acting and action set-pieces - everything in the film is just OK, and nothing more. Some action stunts are impressive, and so are the film's on-location shots (in Madrid), but they are wasted among the banal narrative that no one is really interested.

French director Mabrouk El Mechri (known for his unique mocumentary/meta-film "JCVD" starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as himself) directs "The Cold Light of Day," written by Scott Wiper (director of "The Condemned") and John Petro. In addition to the players mentioned above, the cast of "The Cold Light of Day" includes Verónica Echegui, Colm Meaney (in a cameo role), Roschdy Zem and Sigourney Weaver with a gun. The film's photography is by Remi Adefarasin ("Elizabeth").

With names and talent attached to it, "The Cold Light of Day" could have been a more thrilling suspense. As it is, it only feels like watching a drawn-out episode for a TV show.
on January 27, 2014
I didn't know what to expect and the move started out slow but quickly picked up and kept me thinking who was the villain.
on November 9, 2012
***Minor Spoiler Warning***

Boilerplate action/thriller made more interesting given the lead - Henry Cavill - aka The New Superman.

Not sure if this effort is a good thing or not.

Reason: Given that I've screened him earlier in 'The Tudors', where he was fantastic as Lord Brandon, it's an established fact that he has the thespian talent to craft a believable character. But this was a fairly routine flick utilizing a rubber-stamp screenplay, so it's difficult to properly discern the performance out of the static drone of predictability.

Tells the story of a mandatory family reunion in faraway Spain. Cavill's character, Will, isn't exactly enthused at the prospect for two simple reasons. First, his company is heading toward bankruptcy and leaving the country for a European get-together is exacerbating an already stressful situation. And second, engaging with his old man isn't high on the agenda. Long since estranged, father and son have to work hard just to be civil, otherwise things get nasty fairly quickly.

Simply put - Will's not a happy camper. And his negativity is both palpable and viral, spoiling the gathering for the rest of his family. Completing the circle of misery, the old man is thoroughly pissed at the sourness that his son has brought with him.

Needing to resupply, pick up a new phone to replace the one his father tossed overboard, and to get some much needed personal space - Will dives off the family's luxury sailboat and swims to shore.

He's only on shore for an hour or so, but when he returns - his entire family is gone.

Desperate and scared, he reaches out to the local police. Problem is that they're in on the conspiracy.

Will, who has absolutely no experience in such matters, is forced to run.

He has to figure out what his father was into, why, and who he can possibly trust to help. Hunted by good cops as an accused murderer, blackmailed by unknown intelligence agencies and stalked by a highly trained assassin - a standard tick-tock thriller flick ensues.

Overall not bad, just not particularly fresh or insightful. Could've used a more sympathetic (and focused) MacGuffin in the form of a beautiful damsel in distress, i.e. 'Frantic'. Just my two pennies in that regard.

Movie Note: A slight bait-n-switch is made in this film. Given that Bruce Willis isn't the star, his character doesn't live beyond the opening scenes. Not that he didn't contribute; without his efforts the stage wouldn't have been set as nicely. But Marketing's choice of employing a deception - by featuring Bruce so prominently in the advertising and cover artwork - was aggravating. It would've been more accurate, and honestly more interesting, had he not even been featured at all. An unannounced cameo, which I typically enjoy more than some perfunctory credit in the ad campaign.
VINE VOICEon September 11, 2012
I'm not sure I can explain "The Cold Light of Day", not knowing the inside story as to why the movie was made or how it was made with the likes of Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver. I do know that the lead actor in the film is Henry Cavill, who will soon be playing the lead role in the Superman movie "Man of Steel". As far as Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver go, this is what they call in the business, a paycheck or favor movie. As far as Cavill goes, my only assumption is that the studio, Warner Brothers, wanted to get Cavill's face out there before "Man of Steel" happened. I'm not sure "The Cold Light of Day" did them any favors.

Cavill, I'm sure is a fine actor, but given the material here, he is an after thought in the midst of poor filming, poor direction, poor scripting and just an overall train wreck of a film. Cavill plays Will, a small business owner who goes on vacation to see his family in Madrid, all the while receiving phone calls galore about his business sliding into bankruptcy back home. This is just one of the pointless and irrelevant plot points.

After accidentally tackling his brother's girlfriend on the boat and knocking her head into a railing, he decides to go to town for some pointless reason. I think it was to get ointment for the gash on her head. So, he dives into the water and swims to shore, leaving his family behind. When he returns, the family boat is gone and the spy, terrorist thriller begins. At this point, he looks out into the straight where his family boat should be, from the beach and sees nothing. Then we have to endure a ridiculous long pan from his view across a bunch of people and eventually the camera lands on Will's stunned face after what had to be a twenty second shot. After about five seconds, I sighed, as we endure another ten seconds of irrelevant stuff. This is the kind of stuff that plagues the film.

Moments later, as the "Taken", "Bourne Legacy" wannabe film goes into full swing, we have to endure a four or five minute scene with terrible lighting. There are scenes in the film where all of a sudden, Will is just somewhere. We don't know how he got there or why he got there, but of course moments later, he was supposed to be there.

The scripting is terrible. Will, at one-point yells to a man at the American embassy, "My families missing and I'm wanted for a murder I didn't commit!"

I don't know what "The Cold Light of Day" was intended to be. Was it a vehicle for Cavill so that people could see his face before "Man of Steel"? Was it intended to be good or was it thrown together. I'm not sure, but the bottom line is, the movie was terribly done. There are too many characters and there are too many things that don't matter. There are unreasonable plateau's between Will meeting people and them helping or hurting him. Bottom line, just because a movie has Bruce Willis in it, doesn't mean its good. Willis did do "Hudson Hawk" after all.
on March 17, 2015
I liked this movie a lot...I think it was a very nice initiative....I see it more like a B'ish movie than an A movie...kinda feeling I had with Crank series, if you get my drift.

Lovely European movie that you can feel from the get go, with starring performances by Willis and Weaver. Cavill wasn't bad at all, but this was him before Superman.

Very soft writing, just easy on the brain, not really a good justification of why are we chasing the bad guys, but hey! popcorn, significant other, couch, rainy sunday, who needs a Stanley Kubrick deep movie? So, in that sense, it did what I expected: entertain. By the time credits are over, you most likely will have moved into watching something else as well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There was plenty of time during this movie to run for snacks, come back, and not miss anything. This is certainly not one of Bruce Willis at his best, and the entire cast of acting was not to exciting. Will Shaw takes a trip to Spain for a family vacation to go sailing for a week. But, all hell breaks loose when his family is kidnapped by intelligence agents, who are anxious in recovering a mysterious briefcase, and he finds himself on the run. This reminded me very much of a movie I watched in the past. I believe it was with Harrison Ford, and 'Frantic' rings a bell, except the kidnapping was his wife, and he was on the run. "THE COLD LIGHT OF DAY" was too slow, boring, and not much action. Although the theme was about conspiracy, family, and kidnapping, the plot needed work. Overall, the movie had a lot of room for Improvement.
on September 16, 2012
This movie started out with great potential and slowly wound it's way down to a feeling of "why am I still watching". The main character is a man down on his luck forced into a family vacation that turns into a run for his life and a desperate attempt to save his family. The twists and big reviles were cliche and predicable. Half the time I kept wondering "why is he doing that" or no way he'd walk away from this. Unfortunately I had a hard time getting behind anyone in this film, good guy or bad guy. I think one of the chase scenes sums this movie up best as our hero takes 5 minutes of the movie to chase someone down only to run away when he caught up to them. I have only ever walked out of a movie once. This would have been my 2nd but 1 of the 3 of us was actually enjoying the move so we stayed.
on December 7, 2013
Maybe I went in with low expectations but I liked this movie. I guess I don't have to worry about spoiling anything. The other reveiws already did that. This would make a good movie series for cavill. This is a Henry cavill movie not a Bruce Willis movie. Bruce just does cameos these days to get the movie noticed. Don't get me wrong I am a big Willis fan but this is a cavill movie.