5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Steel Trench Hawk VS. SOG Tomahawk...which is better?
I am a owner of both the SOG Tactical Tomahawk and the Cold Steel Trench hawk,these two are probably the most coveted of tomahawks on the market.Fellow hunters have quoted me on which is the better buy.Well I can't decide for you,but I can list the pros and cons of both of these to decide which might be better for you...

COLD STEEL TRENCH HAWK
Pro:Blade is...
Published on September 4, 2010 by The Mountaineer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not super "practical", but cool nonetheless
I will admit that I got this trench hawk for no "good" or "real" reason - I got it because I was in a bit of an arms race with my neighbor. It is also pretty good to have in general -- you know -- for highly unrealistic "home defense" situations.

Published on December 14, 2011 by John C. Ruffino

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Steel Trench Hawk VS. SOG Tomahawk...which is better?, September 4, 2010
The Mountaineer (Blue Ridge Mountains) - See all my reviews

COLD STEEL TRENCH HAWK
Pro:Blade is made from Carbon Steel
Con:Carbon Steel can easily rust
Pro:The blade and spike design are definitely geared towards hunting
Con: The Trench Hawk is pretty limited to use in hunting only
Pro:The handle is sturdy polymer at 19" in length
Con:The handle has no textured grip
Pro:The Trench Hawk comes with a hardshell sheath that's really unique
Con:The sheath has no belt loop

SOG TACTICAL TOMAHAWK
Pro:the sheath is button opened with a belt loop
Con:The sheath is made from nylon,a semi cheaply made sheath
Pro:The blade is made from stainless steel so it will not rust easily
Con:stainless steel is not as strong as cobalt steel
Pro:the spike is extended for greater reach
Con:the spike is not very sharp,needs a sharpening stone's touch
Pro:has a sturdy polymer handle with textured grip
Con: overall the tomahawk is 15 3/4" this could strike the user as small if you've carried larger tomahawks(but this could be a pro,depending on the user)
Pro:the vietnam tomahawk design allows it to be great for camping,hunting,and climbing-lots of uses,it's your multi-tool's companion.
Con and Conclusion:The SOG is very sharp and can be used for hunting,but due to it's shorter handle and slightly less aggressive design it's recommended you keep it very sharp,if your only interest in a tomahawk is for brute force then go with the Cold Steel Trench Hawk.Personally, I bought both because I couldn't decide which one I liked better,they're both highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lightweight breaching tool!, September 12, 2010
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
I didn't really need this monster; my first line anti-zombie tools are a .40 Cal pistol on my hip and an M4 in the vehicle, and for emergency vehicle breaching I carry a decent size crowbar, but for the price, I just couldn't resist this bad boy!

The size and weight of the Trench Hawk is significant: between a hatchet and a woodsman's axe. This is no lightweight Vietnam tomahawk. If you choke up from the bottom of the handle by one hand-length or so, the fulcrum pivot works well for one handed use (so long as you have some decent shoulder strength!). Two handed strikes are fast and powerful. The lanyard hole should be filled immediately with some 550 cord: accidentally releasing this beast could result in some serious bystander injury, and the 550 cord when properly configured as a lanyard works as a wrist sling: providing significant support and increased control for overhead swings. Stick with a lighter hawk if your use model is a one handed fighting hawk + knife in your weak hand, as the blade speed for that is a bit too slow due to the head weight.

The quality of the hawk is top notch in all regards: strong synthetic handle, strong and serviceable attachment methodology, Thick steel, high quality edges, grinds and coating. The head's "sheath" is unique, functional and appears durable. The edges of this plastic cover are a bit sharp however so plan on rounding them down a bit with a file. There is no carry feature to this blade cover, though lanyard holes on the cover could be utilized to create an improvised carry solution with 550 cord. Another carry option, if you really think you would want to hip carry this, would be to use a small hammer loop.

I'll be adding this to my breaching toolkit in my vehicle, as I think it could handle hacking though a car c-pillar if the jaws of life are not forthcoming. That being said, this is not a good solution for a camp axe, or a pack/survival tool. If you need a hatchet or an axe, a hammer side is much more valuable than a spike, and the hawks up-swept lower head curvature reduces overall blade strength). If you need to carry a survival tool (as I do when hiking), a Cold Steel Kukri machete, a Kershaw Outcast, or a Becker BK9 would be far more useful and much lighter; ditto for anti-personnel/rabid animal use.

Highly Recommended as a lightweight breaching tool!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster Hawk, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
I just bought the Trench Hawk and took it out for a weekend of throw-testing in the woods. Here's my thoughts:

THROWING CAPABILITY: Like me, you probably bought this to throw (it IS called a hawk). It's easily the heaviest tomahawk/throwing ax I've handled, compared to the SOG Tactical Tomahawk and SOG Battle Ax. I would say that this is less balanced than those two as well. This means that it takes longer to get a feel for throwing the Trench Hawk correctly and that you need to be decently strong to throw it very far or for very long. That said, it does hit hard and stick well (and it will do some fair damage even if it doesn't stick).

FIGHTING CAPABILITY: Obviously, I haven't actually fought with the Trench Hawk, nor will I ever in all likelihood. However, I am reasonably sure that it would make a powerful weapon if I did. It may be less of a thrower than the SOG products I mentioned earlier, but it is more of a fighter. It's a little slow to use one-handed, but certainly do-able. Two-handed, the thing has speed, power, and a fair bit of reach. The grip below the head provides a nice place for your second hand and gives you the option of "punching" with the blade.

SHARPNESS: Some people have complained about how sharp this comes. It is PLENTY sharp for a tomahawk: you can cut your finger just running it along the blade. You don't want a razor-sharp blade on a tomahawk anyway, it will take that edge off on the first few throws. The spike is also quite pointy for anything that breathes (or even for trees).

DURABILITY: I've read a few reviews where the polypropylene broke the first time out. I think this must be simple variation in the manufacturing quality. Mine missed, hit the ground, hit handle first, ricocheted, somersaulted along the ground, and bounced off multiple trees. There's scarcely a mark on it.

APPEARANCE: Hardcore. The Trench Hawk is guaranteed to make you look like a hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME HAWK, September 13, 2010
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
This is the real deal! I have several Cold Steel hawks and this is by far the best I have seen. Extremely sharp, well made. The sheath is top quality.The handle is a little slippery,but a little griptape will fix that. BUY THIS HAWK! You wont be dissapointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hawk, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
Cold Steel appears to have done it again, This hawk is a handful, solid and heavy enough to bite into what ever it needs to, but light enough to swing one handed with speed. The holster is a nice feature and allows the hawk to be held in the belt or on a holder with out fear of slicing the belt or yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cold Steel Trench Axe, September 13, 2010
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
It's exactly what you should expect if you've ever owned any Cold Steel products. Clever design, eye catching, good steel but not something you'd match against an Emerson. I don't know that this would be the first choice weapon for Maximus or Leonidas but since you're not them, it should be fine. If you want a top quality, last a lifetime tool axe, check out Gransfors Brus (handforged).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Steel Trench Hawk... Perfection., April 27, 2011
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
This Tomahawk RAWKS! 5/5 This is everything I hoped it would be, Cold Steel has really delivered. The design is bold and simple, just the way I like it. The 1055 steel for the axe head and the polypropylene handle are perfect for use and abuse and will take anything you throw at it. And in case your handle does break you can pick up a replacement for a few bucks. The axe head came sharp enough for chopping tasks and the spike was tapered to a needle point. The Secure-Ex sheath is great, others complain it doesn't have a belt attachment, but it is unique and has holes on it for paracord customizations. This tomahawk does it all!

Want a tactical tomahawk? Look no further, with a huge spike, 19" of reach, and 24oz in weight it has a substantial feel in the hand.

Want a tomahawk you can take on a camping trip or on the trail? Well it's great for that too. It's not just for fighting, this thing chops! I have took down several small trees and a medium size trees with ease and it rips through dead dried wood as well. The SOG and United Cutlery tomahawks are 15" in length which is limited to tactical applications(IMO). The 19" length on the Trench Hawk allows for greater power and momentum with each stroke.

Want a good throwing tomahawk? The added 4" on the handle makes it a bit more difficult to throw, but this can be conquered with just a little bit of practice. It is a good thrower and the thud you hear as the spike drives into the target is more than satisfying.

I have read many reviews that say the handle is too slippery. It would be if wet, but in dry situations I can't imagine it slipping out of any normal persons hands that has adequate grip strength. You can add grip tape or better you can stretch 700cc road bike tire over the handle, this provides the best rubber grip possible(IMO). The handle tapers outward at the end which is great, it prevents slipping and makes you aware of your grip position. The handle also has a lanyard hole.

I hope this review was helpful, thank you for reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not super "practical", but cool nonetheless, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)

This is a very nice tomahawk, BUT I do have one complaint about it. This is not good for chopping wood (at all) which is the only legal/practical thing I think this can actually be used for. Unlike competitor's tomahawks (for example, the SOG - which my neighbor has) Cold Steel's design is flawed because of the handle. The blade is mounted in-between the handle, so anything that is chopped will stop halfway through the blade because of the handle. If, like the SOG model, Cold Steel made it so the handle originates INSIDE of the blade, this would not be a problem.

Cold Steel does a great job demonstrating how their products can: be thrown through a jug of water, pierce medieval armor, cut assorted pieces of hanging meat, smash cattle/pig skulls, and break blocks of ice -- let's be honest, unless you are Lynn Thompson, you wont be doing this often or at all. ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at a great price!, July 6, 2012
MCB "mb1620" (NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
Very happy with this trench axe! It appears to be well made and the price is very reasonable! Sure to please the berserker looking for a battle axe/tomahawk!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really gives me an edge in every day encounters, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe (Sports)
I use to have an issue with being overwhelmed by opponents on the side of freeway while arguing on who has the right of way, after a few trips to the ER, I came across on youtube a demonstration of this tool, and decided to try for myself. Upon receiving this product, I immediately felt the quality of the business end, and the balance of strength and weight on the handle. I have mounted this at an easy to reach location on my dashboard, and I take it with me for every confrontation. The results are staggering: as soon as I unsheathe this axe from it's well crafted poly-carbonate cover, my opponents have surrendered and fled with much urgency. Now I can cut to the front of lines on exit ramps, merge across multiple lanes without activating the annoying clicky flashing light, and roll through most stop signs without fear of getting beat up. Aside from saving me from much embarrassment and wasted money and time at the hospital, it has also helped me greatly at preparing wood to cook dinner with. No longer will I have to use sharp rocks to break wood apart, this axe gets it done in a fraction of the time. Would definitely recommend and buy again if I ever misplace it.

Cold Steel Trench Hawk Axe