Cold Days e-book $4 cheaper at Barnes & Noble

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2012 9:02:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 6:52:56 PM PDT
Jonas says:
I realise Apple gets e-books cheaper because of the price fixing, but Barnes & Noble? Really, Amazon? Really?

It's $14.99 at Barnes and Noble and $18.59 here on Amazon.

Link as proof:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cold-days-jim-butcher/1112506718

Edit: (Trimmed link)
Edit 2: Apparently only for Canadians. The price discrepancy doesn't exist for Americans. Amazon has some crazy hate for Canadians. (Prices are higher, a significant amount beyond the $1.02 exchange, and no new Kindles.)
Edit 3: Amazon insists the Canadian price is charged by Penguin, so it's not Amazon that has a crazy hate for Canada, it's Penguin Publishing. ("This price is set by the publisher.")

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 1:38:41 PM PDT
S. Young says:
There also are these things called libraries that your tax dollars are paying for anyway. Jim butcher doesn't have a lot of control over the price.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 3:40:46 PM PDT
Jonas says:
I don't blame Jim Butcher. I blame Penguin, the publisher. Jim's not setting the price, they are. (It could be contested that he supports Penguin by staying with them, and while I agree to a point, I still don't blame him for the prices.)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 7:50:35 AM PDT
Just remember, Jim is being loyal and LOSING money by staying with Penguin. His books will sell no matter what. What most readers<and authors> don't realize is that the author usually makes more money off of an ebook than off of a hardback or paperback. Jim probably has a very strong contract that he cannot break with Penguin. Happens all the time when someone takes their first book to an established publisher. There are a number of published works on the price and profitability of publishers vs self published books on the internet. I recommend Michael Stackpole @mikestackpole as a resource starter on this subject.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:44:12 PM PST
R. Lee says:
Dear Penguin,

This is a stupid F'ing price and I'm not paying it. Stop gouging.

A former customer
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
4.8 out of 5 stars   (2,028)