5.0 out of 5 stars For Alex
These shoes were chosen by and bought for my 18 year-old son for use as his dress shoes. Since they arrived he has worn them several times and they look very nice on him. The fit is true to both size and width and he says they are very comfortable. The only drawback is one common to all driving moccasins: the scuffing that occurs on the toes as a result of use...
Published on February 25, 2012 by Jamie Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars too narrow, not long enough
Shoe was to narrow, my husband always wears a size 13M. These did not fit at all, he could not get his fit in the shoe. Too bad it is a nice soft shoe. We had to return it.
Published 18 months ago by Margaret B

5.0 out of 5 stars For Alex, February 25, 2012

There is no solution to this problem; my son deals with it by keeping his shoes well polished which helps, even if only temporarily.

Nevertheless we feel this is a quality product, well-made and a good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Shoe very narrow, June 1, 2012
I need to start out by saying I love amazon prime (more to come). I fell in love with the looks of this shoe and ordered my standard Cole Haan size of 12 in saddle tan. I was so excited to get these shoes I upgraded to next day shipping. When they arrived the next day I tore into the box like a kid at Christmas.

The shoe is beautiful great leather, great color, sturdier than I expected from a driver, but I thought they looked a bit long. I put them on an they looked like skies on my feet. I'm used to a moccasins/loafers fitting fairly close, but these went a good inch and a half past the end of my toe. The length also made the shoe gape a bit more than normal around my insole but I was not discouraged. Since they were so big I exchanged them for an 11 (free 2nd day shipping). Same beautiful shoe... very tight the length was just about right maybe a touch short, but my toes weren't touching. So now I'm goldilocks saying to myself that the third bed will be just right (11.5). Alas no. I put them on and needed to wedge them on with my shoe horn only to stand up and feel like my feet were going to pop. I tried thins socks... no socks... no show socks, but they were just too tight. I have never experienced this with a Cole Haan shoe. I own at least 4 pair of Cole Haan loafers as well as dress boots and oxfords... every pair fit very well in a 12D. I can't tell you how bad I wanted to own this shoe (I even kept them a few days and tried them on in the morning before me feet swelled), but it just wasn't meant to be. But thank you amazon for the seamless first experience with buying shoes from your site. The returns/exchanges were processed promptly and I actually feel bad that they had to pay all that shipping cost. Well I'm still on the hunt for my summer driver. Cole Haan Men's Howland Penny Loafer

One year later. Ok I know I went on about returning these shoes, but I just couldn't do it. I kept them, and they killed my feet most of the summer (once a week). Then finally they stretch out enough to actually be comfortable. Now when I slip them on they are snug (not uncomfortable), but they loosen up throughout the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classy, comfortable, casual shoe, March 22, 2013
Shotgun Willy (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cole Haan Men's Howland Penny Loafer (Apparel)
I have owned these shoes in tan for around five months and they have quickly become my go-to shoes. I was concerned about spending the money on a pair of driving shoes (because of the beating they typically take) but they have been well worth the money and I when the time comes I will replace with another pair.

When I purchased these I also purchased a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Telly Driving Shoe. There is no comparison between the two. The quality of the leather and the fit are the two most obvious differences. I ordered both in my standard size, 11D. The Cole Haan's slide on and off with little effort and both the width and length fit correctly. I noticed some of the other reviews mentioned that they thought they were very narrow. I don't have narrow feet and have had no complaints about the width. As I have worn the Cole Haan's they have broken in very well and now feel almost like a slipper on my feet. The RL's on the other hand were very difficult to get on and off. I am sure if they were broken in more they would have become easier, but who wants to deal with that if you don't have to?

The shoes work well with or without socks. I typically wear them with jeans and an Allen Edmonds Manistee belt in tan. The colors match perfectly and they look great together.

Leave the sneakers at home and give these a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband loves these, April 4, 2013
My husband ordinarily wears DJP shoes and Clark loafers. He likes them, but needed a replacement for a random pair of Polo loafers that fell apart. These are far superior to his Polo shoes and he likes the styling much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devine fit, November 26, 2012
I love these shoes. The fit is excellent. These shoes feel like slippers. I have two other colors but I noticed that this shoe needed less break in....these really fit buttery soft a dliciously comfortable from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome shoe, August 5, 2012
High quality leather as expected from Cole Haan. The sole of the shoe leaves no gaps, some driving shoes leave a large gap between the front and back rubber sole which gives the shoe an unsupported area that can become uncomfortable. This shoe has a nice sole across from front to back which helps with support. Great walking shoe, soft and does not rub. Great overall shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and wears great, June 14, 2012
This could well be the most beautiful shoe I own thus far. Its classy and comfortable. I wear a 9.5 but ordered a 10 because I think most of these kind of drivers and loafers seem to be a bit tight at the toe. That was a great call and my 10 fits great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable loafer I've ever worn, July 17, 2014
The most comfortable loafer I've ever worn. I've worn sperrys or a different Cole Haan shoe about every day for the past number of years, none are have been as comfortable as this. It actually feels really good to put these on my feet. I do worry about walking around in them too much, but you still get a good amount of use out of them before they make your feet sweat. I'd definitely recommend these, but I'd probably say go with the brown ones. I had to get the black because they were the only ones available in my 15W size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs Narrow, August 1, 2014
Cheetah (South Florida) - See all my reviews
The quality of leather and workmanship is great. The only issue I have is this shoe runs narrower than any 13M I ever purchased.
I decided to keep it because it is a very good looking shoe and the leather will stretch over time for a more comfortable fit. With that in mind, if your foot is more wide than narrow be prepared for some break in wear time, get them stretched by a shoe cobbler or purchase the wider model for your shoe size. This shoe would have received a 5 star rating otherwise.

1.0 out of 5 stars too narrow, not long enough, February 14, 2013