5.0 out of 5 stars Nutmeg grinder
Published on January 3, 2011 by Jipcee

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Duty Grinder
I needed a "reasonably priced" nutmeg grinder for my spice drawer and after doing a quick survey here on Amazon, I chose this one.

Published on September 15, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Duty Grinder, September 15, 2010
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)

It can grind one whole nutmeg nut at a time. Removing the top is a bit problematic until you get the hang of how it's attached. Once you figure it out, removing and replacing the top is not a big issue. Instructions are printed on a very small booklet attached to the grinder but I didn't find them very helpful.

When grinding, it creates a medium small grind which is fine for my use. One minor note, I had hoped that I could store extra nutmeg in the upper portion of the grinder however no such luck - there's not enough room.

The grinder is by no means, industrial strength or designed for everyday use but, if you need a light duty grinder for occasional fresh nutmeg - check this one out. It works and is reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutmeg grinder, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
I use fresh nutmegs for cooking and baking and in the past have just grated them on a microplane grater. As a result I always ended up with tiny bits of the nutmeg left that I couldn't use because it was too small to hold and grate without grating my fingers, too. I love this nutmeg grinder. It grinds the nutmeg very finely with little effort and the main thing is I'll be able to use the whole nutmeg with no waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic grinder, November 18, 2010
perfectionist (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
My hands cannot hold those squat nutmeg grinders, and had been using a different tall grinder that was not good, but at least I could hold it. I wish that one had broken sooner!

This one grinds down to the very slimmest sliver of the nutmeg, and is absolutely fantastic!

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely effective. Spend $ on grinder, not wasted nutmeg., December 24, 2011
TDaddy (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
I've owned this for 9 months. I'm buying a better one that wastes less of the nut. Here's the issues:
-Limited to one nut at a time. The crank turns the top nut, leaving the nut next to the grater unmoved.
-When the nut is ~80% ground, the nut breaks apart. This grater won't grate pieces. What do you do with the remaining small chunks? Throw them out?
-The pieces of ground nutmeg come out in various sizes, not all finely ground.
-It's very difficult, and therefore wasteful, to measure small amounts of ground nutmeg from this grinder.

Spend more on a good grinder now, so you spend less later on nutmeg to fill it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not necessary, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
I love fresh nutmeg and thought this would be a nice add to my gadgets, while it worked for its purpose I decided after a couple of weeks that I would purchase a ceramic grater instead as that would be more versatile. I am happier with the Kyrocera grater I got, can use it on a variety of items, not just nutmeg, which is a big advantage in my opinion. I dont like having single purpose gadgets unless absolutely necessary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Grater, not a grinder, April 29, 2013
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
This so-called grinder is truly a grater with a device for holding and rotating the nutmeg. The spring within the device does not have enough strength to hold the nutmeg against the grating blade for more than about one-third of the nutmeg, and consequently it does not even "grind" the nutmeg as well as a small grater. Had I known that the device provided no more capability than my fingers can easily do, I would not have purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST WHAT I WANTED, January 7, 2012
JUSTIN FUNN "Anglophile" (CHICAGO, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
The nutmeg grinder was exactly what I wanted. It grates the nutmeg and dispenses just the amount you want, then stores the rest of the "nut" in the container. I tried using one of my microplanes (which I love and use for many other grating chores), but would often scrape my fingers. This grinder works much better for whole nutmeg grinding.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only works for 1/3 of the nutmeg nut, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
Reviews did mention this....but the product does not work dependably. It does about 1/3 of the nut and just twists but does not grind off any more nutmeg. Disappointed. Nice looking product but don't bother. Use a microplane grater and zester instead. More uses in the kitchen too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grinds nutmeg very well., March 23, 2011
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
I'm very pleased with this grinder. Freshly ground nutmeg is far superior to pre-ground. It holds one whole nutmeg(only one; not meant for storage) and with the turn of the handle, shaves the nutmeg. Easy to operate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Junk, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder (Kitchen)
The first grinder we purchased lasted 15 years (design is the same). The three new ones lasted less than 15 days each! The first grinder's handle slipped on the shaft after about one week. The second grinder arrived with the handle knob missing. The third one arrived and the knob fell off after about two weeks. Got my money back each time, and the third one was free. That it has serious quality control problems is an understatement. If you get this grinder for free, it is not worth it!!!

Cole and Mason H277130 Classic Nutmeg Grinder