Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL

Size: Pepper MillsChange

on July 3, 2013
Chances are that you found this product from the excellent review it got from Cooks Illustrated. I did. However, if you do a search of the Amazon reviews, there are a few low rated reviews and most of those are based upon a broken top. Persuaded by the overwhelming number of positive reviews, I disregarded the warnings of the tops breaking and purchased the pepper and salt set.

Unfortunately, the top to my salt mill broke on its first turn out of the box. I'll post a photo on Amazon to help explain the defect in my salt mill. The top to the mill is made up of a plastic piece and a metal piece. The plastic piece acts like a lid to a jar or in this case the mill and, when turned, causes the mill to grind the pepper or salt. A stainless steel cover/cap fits over the plastic lid to make it look nice. To prevent the steel cap from merely spinning over the sides of the plastic lid when turned, a tooth is welded inside the steel lid, which is supposed to fit into a notch built into the plastic lid. However, the notch to the plastic lid is rather shallow and the torsion from spinning the mill caused the tooth of the cap to jump out of the notch. So now the notch no longer holds the tooth; and turning the metal cap causes it to spin around the plastic lid rather than causing it to turn the plastic lid and mill. If you look at my photo, you'll also see a point or horn protruding from the top of the plastic lid that tapers to point that is glued or welded to the cap, to prevent the cap from being pulled away from the plastic lid. Unfortunately, since the notch doesn't hold the tooth, the torsion from turning the top caused the glue or welding to separate and now the metal top easily falls off.

I'm sure that this falls within both Amazon's and Cole and Mason's return policies but I think I'm going to choose a refund rather than an exchange. I've seen enough reviewers with broken tops to look to other brands.
review image
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2012
I bought this based on the recent Cook's Illustrated review that ranked it best of the ones they tested. I've used the highly rated Unicorn for many years and always liked it except for the minor issues noted in Cook's. The adjustable grind mechanism on the Cole and Mason works very well, and I am pleased with the consistency of the grinds on all settings. It fits well in my hands, looks very nice on the table, and is well built. I bought it 2 weeks before it went on sale for $29.99 briefly. Figures. But for $39.99, it is an excellent grinder for the money.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2014
I bought the salt and pepper set. I love the salt grinder and still have it. But the pepper grinder simply stopped grinding after a few months - turning the top no longer turns the grinding mechanism. It's like a screw that's stripped. Looking inside, it's clear that this is because the teeth that grip the turning shaft are made of thin plastic that aren't made to last. I recommend that you avoid this product. Too bad - I liked it a lot while it worked.
on December 28, 2012
The Cole and Mason pepper mill was a disappointment. In the never-ending search for the perfect pepper mill, I bought this based on a recommendation from Cook's Illustrated. The first one arrived with the top disconnected from the mechanism, so I was not even able to try it. Amazon replaced that one promptly, but if the failed connection that I saw is any indication of a normal connection of top to mechanism, I remain unpersuaded about durability.

The range of grind - at preset levels - which had appealed to me from the Cook's Illustrated review turns out to be dust to normal pepper (as in store-bought ground pepper) size. I had expected a much broader range up to "cracked pepper" size which is achievable on my cheapo French pepper mill. So this is OK for a mill you put on the table and it's attractive enough to do so but it is completely inadequate as a kitchen mill where you need mor variety of grind.
on November 9, 2013
I purchased this after seeing a review on Cooks' Illustrated. It worked great - easy to fill, wide range of grind size, comfortable to use. However, as others have mentioned, the top is defective and stopped functioning much too soon given the price of the product. I won't buy another one.
on June 27, 2014
I got this for Father's Day, and I was immediately amazed at how a change in grinder could affect the taste of the same pepper. My 12 year old grinder was probably half the price of this one, and it did the job. Or so I thought. This is on a completely different level. It manages to extract 5 times the flavor from the same peppercorn. Even my wife agrees.

The only reason I am not giving it five stars is b/c the first one was defective. It would never grind as fine as I thought it should, based on the picture included with the mill. I called the company, and they said they'd replace it, if I shipped the other one back first. So I just contacted Amazon, and we had a new one in two days. The new one is absolutely perfect.

I uploaded some photos in the customer images section, so you can see what I mean.
review image review image
on September 6, 2013
I purchase from Amazon, this expensive salt & paper grinder set made by Cole & Mason.

They brag that they have been making the finest grinders for over a century in England... and I fell for it.

When they arrived, the packaging revealed that Cole & Mason now proudly outsource all their
manufacturing to China. Within just a few months, the grinder mechanism detached from the top,
and no amount of super-glue could fix it.

It's very sad to see a proud and ancient English company like Cole & Mason sell-out to China,
and ruin their reputation by producing pretty, but low-grade, Chinese garbage at premium prices.

I went back and instead purchased the OXO Lua Salt & Pepper grinder set (about $55),
which looks extremely similar to this Cole & Mason set... though it holds twice as much
salt & pepper in its transparent center column... and the OXO Lua set is of far better quality.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
This is absolutely the best pepper grinder I've ever owned. Things I like: glass, not plastic, easy to fill, adjustable grind takes you from ultra-fine to "crushed" with a turn of the base. It 's beautiful, too. I like it so much that I bought the companion salt grinder.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2013
I have encountered the same issue as another reviewer. I received the salt and pepper mills as a Christmas gift. The pepper mill works flawlessly and we use it daily. However, right out of the box, the salt mill did not grind. After further inspection, the black plastic insert in the top of the mill was not properly fastened to the metal top. Because of this, the top was not able to spin the metal rod that controls the grinding mechanism.

I attempted to tighten the screw holding the plastic piece to the top but did not have any success. I have contacted Cole and Mason for a replacement. Cole and Mason needs to improve their quality control so that all of the mills leave the factory in properly working order.
on September 4, 2014
The salt mill fell apart on my husband's plate when he adjusted the grinding size. The plastic pin broke right off! These are also very difficult to refill.