Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on April 18, 2012
I purchased this cooler for a long road trip on my honeymoon. We spent 3-full days in my truck, and wanted something to keep beverages & food cold without having to deal with the mess & fuss of ice.

Pros:

*It works - It kept items that were cold, cold. It also cooled room temperature items within roughly an hour and a half or so.

*Perfect size for the back-seat of a vehicle without taking up to much space.

*Keeps cooled items cool even when unplugged like a standard cooler.

*No ice to mess with, no water to drain, no need to let it dry out!

Cons:

*It is a little noisy. The is the only thing keeping this cooler from 5-stars! If you want this for a vehicle, and drive without the radio - this is not for you. I never noticed the unit during our drive, other than when we turned the radio off, or down near minimum levels. It sounds like a small computer fan running if noise is a concern.

* Amazon's description is INCORRECT. It advises that the unit includes the A/C Adaptor. It does not include one. Even Coleman advised Amazon's description was incorrect when I spoke with them. However, Coleman's customer service is absolutely amazing and they helped me out.

*Just be sure you have more than one 12v outlet. My truck has one behind the center console for the back seat. My wife's Jeep only has one outlet in the front console. The cord is long enough to reach the back seat of the Jeep though!
on July 30, 2012
Amazon's product description says

Product Features

-- Electric motor for cooling -- no ice needed!
-- Cools down to 40° below surrounding temperature
-- Plug into cigarette lighter, or use the included AC adapter
-- Tall enough to hold 2-liter bottles upright
-- Comfortable, sturdy handle for easy carrying

However, the AC adapter was NOT included in the package today, and
the Coleman Instructions for Use say,

-- Accessories (not included):

- - - 120 volt AC/12 volt DC Power Supply

That costs an added $28, nearly half as much as the cooler.

Be warned.
on May 31, 2012
The cooler does what we bought it for: cooling drinks and lunch while on a long trip. The fan is noisy which is bothersome if we don't have anything playing on the radio but is masked by the radio when it is on. It is a bit bulkier than I would have liked; it's a tight fit on the floor behind the passender's seat.
on August 11, 2012
We bought this for a long road trip with 2 kids & a toddler who drinks a lot of milk. It doesn't take up a lot of room & keeps things very cool. Other than a little noisy, I'm impressed with it. Granted the noise reminded us to unplug when we shut the car off as we didn't want to run the batter down! My only con is that it does not fit all 2 liter bottles. The new Coke product bottle design is taller and doesn't allow the lid to close.
on December 2, 2012
this is a geat product..the other one just flat wore out from the many trips we took it on. it runs 24 hours per day on our trips with food that must be kept chilled as we cannot trust motel fridges to always work. coleman lasted ten years and was time for a new one.
on January 3, 2013
I am using it with the Coleman PowerChill to keep insulin and food cool while on the road. Used it indoors while visiting. However I tried using it with an adapter inside the house and it had ice build up after 3 days, so I put my stuff in friends refrigerator, it thawed and still works fine. Planning on getting the adapter that turns it off automatically when your auto battery gets low, so I don't have to unplug it when the car is not running. Wish it had a thermostat, but i did not want to spend more.
on December 6, 2012
The best feature for our family (we have a two year old) is that it fits an entire gallon of milk just right and allows for more snacks/drinks after that. I do recommend a wall charger for pre cooling prior to a road trip, because it takes about 30 minutes for it to cool to its optimal temperature inside. We went with a cheaper off brand charger for around 20 bucks and it works fine-you dont really need the coleman brand charger. But thats your personal preference on matching brands or not.

There is a low "whirr" sound when on, but is negligible with road noise, radio, and toddler movies. Its actually kind of reassuring as it lets you know its still on and your food/drinks arent spoiling.

Overall, great investment, has never let us down over the past 8 or 9 long road trips weve taken (to grandmothers house we go!)
on October 19, 2012
This thing is nice if you are going on a road trip or to keep things cold while camping, or whatever, but it is so darn loud, particularly if you are in an enclosed space like a car. Also, the car adapter that you can get with it is far too short to be useful. It basically has to sit on the passenger seat or on the floor in front because it barely reaches to the back. Furthermore, you apparently can't have any water in this cooler, because it might short out the motor. Otherwise, it's nice to not have to deal with ice or ice packs.
on September 6, 2013
First off, I've been an avid Amazon customer for years, and an Amazon Prime Member for the past three years. Amazon usually has some of the best prices around. However, for the past year or so I've been noticing similar, and sometimes cheaper pricing at some brick and mortar stores. Walmart has this particular item on sale, as I'm writing this review, for only $39, with a regular price of $58! Nearly a whopping 50% cheaper than Amazon! Before you click on an item at Amazon, perform your due diligence and look around first!

That said, this is a nice cooler that works well. The design is nice because it has a smaller footprint than most coolers, thus taking up less valuable cargo space in your car. It's also very portable.
It won't keep your drinks "ice" cold, but it keeps them cold enough. Bear in mind that it is less effective in a hot car. So if your vehicle is parked in a hot parking lot for an hour or so with the cooler plugged in, don't expect a cool refreshing beverage when you return to the car. The boast of keeping your drinks 40 degrees below the vehicle's ambient temperature doesn't mean much when the inside of your car reaches 120-160 degrees (that's why you should NEVER leave your dogs in the car!! My PETA PSA...)
All in all, it's a good device to have when traveling. It'll pay for itself when you consider the money and aggravation you'll save on having to constantly buy ice for your cooler.
on November 14, 2012
I really like this cooler. It is so much better than dealing with ice or blue ice. If you use it for days on end,as I did, it does get frosty on the motor vent and could possibly freeze up. It is not intended for extended use though, so I don't see this as a real drawback. The only negative is that it is kind of loud. I didn't notice it in the back of the car, but when I pre-cooled it at home before starting on my trip, it was noticeable. Get the a/c adapter as pre-cooling is important if you like to keep things really cold.

See 1 answered question