Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on July 28, 2011
Runs great on Coleman fuel (or unleaded gas/carb cleaner in an emergency). You can even search here on Amazon to find an inexpensive disposable propane bottle conversion for more fueling flexability. Easy to light, safe to use if you follow instructions, will last a lifetime with proper care. Great choice for an emergency stove - simple, rugged, light, compact, easy to store and clean. Up to 10" pots and pans will fit inside the windbreak "arms".

I own a couple of these - this model is different from those you may have seen, as Coleman constantly (over 50 years) has improved the design of these stoves. The current model (shown in description) is every bit as well constructed as the 50-year old ones. Burns for at least 2 hours on a full tank of liquid fuel with both burners wide open, burns hotter than a 2-dollar pistol (13,000 BTU w/both burners lit - let it cool for 10 - 15 minutes after you turn it off). Haven't tried to see how long a bottle of propane will last when using the converter.

You can buy other stoves for less (or more), but they won't have as many fueling options, or have this model's proven 50+ year track record of dependability, performance, and flexability.

**UPDATE** - My experience is with 3 stoves recently purchased - a 425 from the 50's, a 425 from the mid - 60's, and a 425 dated 1999. The stoves demonstrate Coleman's attempts to refine the design. The newest stove does have a rather flimsy latch, necessitated by eliminatinmg the metal rods that formed the earlier model's "feet", which lifted the stove off of any combustible surface underneath, and flipped over to secure the lid when cool. (Additional shielding was added inside to allow doing away with the feet, allowing the stove to rest on dimples on the bottom.) The fuel tank was also redesigned to prevent the illiterate attempting to refill the stove either when still running or still hot (a great idea since the latest design also did away with the pressure-releasing cap - the new cap will spray fuel all over if opened under pressure). One of the stoves was pooling fuel in the dimple just under the valve assembly, due to the previous owner burning a fuel with too high alcohol content, which destroyed one of the drip-proofing rubber o-rings in the needle valve assembly. This stove was converted to propane.

Parts for these stoves are available on the Coleman Co. website

The newest stove I purchased was no less well-built than the oldest stove. It's only been 12 years since my newest stove was built - I can't speak as to where they are currently built, as I have been totally unable to find any of the liquid stoves new locally. If I get a peek at one, I will update again.

**Update Feb. 2012** I finally got a look at a new stove at a local store. They appear to still be "Made In USA..." Also - another (EMERGENCY) fueling option: Regular unleaded gas/charcoal starter 50/50 mix. Like the RUG/carb cleaner option above, not approved by Coleman! I have tried both, and they will work. Try to avoid straight gasoline, as the level of alcohol is too high, especially in the mid-grade and premium blends. However - NONE of the alternative fueling options will have the shelf-life of fuels made specifically for liquid-fueled stoves. 20-year old Coleman fuel will still start and burn like a new can - gasoline gets old fast, as it is far more volatile than Coleman fuel or other highly-refined napthalenes.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2011
My dad has had this same stove for 30 years. I remember making breakfast on it on those chilly mountain mornings when we went camping. I wanted to continue the tradition of the Coleman liquid fuel stove with the red tank so I picked this one up. The build quality seems to have gone downhill since the 70s and 80s. The hinges on the lid don't seem very sturdy and I had to bend one of them so the lid would open all the way. I remember my dad's stove being made out of better material (but that was also 20 years ago...my memory could be incorrect). I did put some white gas in it and fire it up. Everything lit up perfectly fine and burned great. I don't expect it to fail mechanically and if anything breaks or wears out it can be easily replaced with cheap parts from Coleman.

4/5 stars because the build quality seems a bit on the cheap side but I don't expect any other issues.
on June 23, 2012
I have personally owned two Coleman stoves. The first was this 'Classic' model and the other a
model which came out in the 1980's (I'm not sure of the model number). Both used the Coleman liquid
fuel. I had used both models owned by others over the years, and found identical characteristics
with those I eventually purchased.

The Classic stove is more compact, but the same sized pans fit just as well. While the fuel tanks
for both types fit into the case for storage and travel, the newer model requires a bit of jostling
to get the tank positioned in order for the unit to be closed securely.

The biggest difference, and the one that makes the decision for me to purchase another Classic
model is the ease of lighting, an important consideration.

Every one of the newer models I've tried have been very difficult to light. Each time resulted
in a sore arm from the amount of effort to pump up the pressure.

This makes the newer models totally unacceptable.

The Classic model fuel pumps are very easy to use. The second burner lights right up without having
to wait. I also think the bright red color of the fuel tank is an important safety feature; this
detail was eliminated in the later models. Why?

All that being said, Coleman stoves are safe and easily transportable. Without them, camping
as we know it would be far different, campfiles having been made illegal due to the hazards they
pose.

And for the ambitious, anything one can cook on a regular stovetop can be made on a Coleman Stove.
In So Cal, many consider them essential items in their earthquake preparedness kits.
on June 6, 2012
Please note, these new stoves although they look like the old rugged Coleman of old, they are not. They are made from very thin sheet metal. I am appalled at the cheap and flimsy construction of the outside and wind deflectors. You can easily flex the body of the stove anywhere and with even mild compression you can bend and dent the stove. The wings will bend just while trying to adjust them. My fathers old one was made like a tank. I dreamed of getting a new one that would be solid and tough like the old mans. This "new" one is about the thickness of the coleman fuel can. The mechanism is the same and it seems to work well enough but good lord it is cheaply constructed. I am looking to get the body of an old one at a garage sale and transfer the guts. Please dont be fooled I like was.
on May 11, 2014
I own and use Coleman lanterns and stoves dating back to the 1920s. This "classic" 425 is every bit as good as my oldest 425 (no letter) that was made in 1948. I have 425B, 425C, 425D, 425E and 425F models spanning the 1940s through the 1990s, and now this 425 Classic (letter???). Each one of these burns as reliably as any other. Except for gradual changes in the stove bodies, closure hardware, fuel tank shape and pumps, the latest one is similar to all predecessors and shares common burner design dating back over 60 years. It worked then and works now. This 425 Classic will outlive me along with all of the older models too!

Coleman still makes a great simple, easy-to-operate camp stove made in USA!

JB
on September 9, 2014
This is the real deal if you are looking for a stove as good as Coleman used to make - because they still make it. The reviews here that say otherwise are malarkey. I bought a Coleman 425E stove in 1971. I've used it a lot and it still works fine. I recently bought the Coleman 425 listed here for my son. I did a detailed examination of both stoves side by side. Here is what I found comparing the new to the old.

* The metal box of the new stove is exactly the same size, strength, and construction.
* The embossed markings say, "Coleman 425, Wichita Kansas, made in USA." (Not China.) Old: Same except "425E".
* They added an arrow and "OFF" marking for the left burner control. That's an improvement.
* Much better paint. Appears to be a thick enamel with a rough alligator surface. Old: Much thinner paint, and light green color.
* The hinges look exactly the same.
* The crimp of the rivets looks slightly less finished. May be just as strong, but doesn't look as good.
* The latch for the top is exactly the same as the old stove.
* The heat shield below the burners is painted green. Old: Was silver.
* The carburetor that the fuel pipe goes into, inside the box, is round instead of square. Probably less likely to leak.
* The carburetor is mounted to the back of the box instead of the bottom, which makes it much easier to clean underneath.
* The grill is easily removed for cleaning. Old: Could not remove.
* The grill has three heavier cross pieces, and they rest on the front and back of the box for better support. The web picture doesn't show this. Old: Two thinner cross pieces.
* The wind deflectors that fold out from the top are thinner and one inch shorter in height. Definitely not as good, but still look adequate.
* The wire clips for the wind deflectors lock in the closed position against the top so they don't flop around. That's better.
* The carrying handle on the box can be left down without causing the fuel tank to stick too far out and leak fuel. That's much better.
* The filler cap on the fuel tank has been moved so it cannot be filled while cooking. That's much safer.
* The pump has a neoprene gasket for a better seal. Old: The leather gasket tended to dry out and had to be removed and oiled.
* The pump is removed from the tank for service by twisting a plastic insert with tabs. Old: Was mounted with metal and less likely to break.
* The tank is chained to the box so it can't get lost. That's a pain, but it is simple to cut off the chain.
* The fuel flow knob is bigger and reshaped for better control.

Tip 1: Buy a welder's striker to keep in the stove to light the burners. You want to remove the round cup around the striker for easier use, so don't buy this cheap one where the cup holds it together. http://smile.amazon.com/Hot-Max-24172-Striker-Replacement/dp/B005TGNFE8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1408388303&sr=1-2&keywords=welding+striker

Tip 2: This Classic stove is actually smaller by ½ inch in all three dimensions than Coleman's "Compact" duel fuel model.

Coleman is noted for supplying replacement parts. I bought a new pump for my old stove just to have a spare, though the original still works. I gave the new stove to my son and expect his to last a lifetime too. Over all, the new stove is as good in quality as my old one, and offers some significant improvements. Coleman's reputation for quality continues with this stove.
on June 14, 2014
My stove is date stamped on the bottom, 10 88. It's NEVER failed me. All 7 screws & 13 rivets are still tight; the labels on the lid of the stove & on top of the fuel bottle are still in place & legible. This was made in Wichita, Kansas by employees who definitely did everything RIGHT decades ago, clearly a pride of craftsmanship when my stove was put together.

I've NEVER had to replace the pump, however once a year I apply a little oil on the leather cup, to keep it soft & pliable.

Every two years, I disassemble the two burner elements & clean the rings (wavy, flat, wavy, flat, wavy). The burners always light, however I do follow the instructions which say to pressurize the tank with 30 pumps.

Two days ago, for the first time ever, I noticed a fuel leak at the flow valve. An eighth of a turn on the nut, clockwise, took care of the leak.

I've NEVER felt the need to loosen the generator. When I pressurize the tank & open the fuel valve a small steady stream of fuel comes out the end, just like it's supposed to.

This is a sturdy stove, lightweight stove. I can't think of anything that should have been done differently. The designers/engineers thought of everything & the assembly line workers all did their job, PERFECTLY.

Don't be misled by reviewers that say something about this stove being flimsy; this stove is sturdy & LIGHT WEIGHT.

I've never tried to use anything except Coleman fuel, it works for me, without fail. It's my way of saying "thanks" to Coleman for building such a practical piece of equipment; they've earned my LOYALTY.

I use my stove OUTSIDE my apt in the summertime to cook chicken, 15 bean soup, chili, & stew. By cooking outside, the heat stays outside not in my kitchen. Living here in Arizona means I'm not using the air conditioner to cool down my kitchen.

When I was a boy scout, the scoutmaster had a two burner Coleman Stove & Lantern. The scout troop went camping once a month, rain or shine. All the scouts, me included, wanted to light the Coleman Stove, so the scoutmaster would give the honor of lighting the stove to the scout that was the winner in some scout skill, knot tying, first aid, etc. Trust me when I say, every scout when he got older bought himself a Coleman Stove, something to be cherished as a family heirloom.

I've used this stove occasionally when the power went out for extended periods of time; however my primary use/purpose for this stove is to cook food when camping/hiking/picnic. I rank ownership of my Coleman stove right up there in memories along with my first car, my first firearm, & my first piece of A**

This is the LIQUID Fuel burning Stove. Owning a stove that requires PROPANE, is UNTHINKABLE.
on September 8, 2014
This review isn't for the newer 425. I have one dated from 1986. It's bigger, sturdier, heavier, greener (yes, not forest green, closer to regular green) and seems to be higher quality. It works perfectly, like it was out of the box new.

I love camping and come from a family of serious campers. All our camp appliances have been Coleman (with the exception of a Brunton 2 burner propane stove and a Sears Explorer propane stove from the early late 70's) because they work great and last forever!

This is a 2-burner liquid fuel camp stove. You can use it at home too outdoors for other stuff too. It burns Coleman's camp fuel, which is proprietary, but probably a mix of naphtha and additives for storage life. It's not like kerosene. It's super flammable and burns explosively like gasoline, so be careful with it. This stove is really simple and there are very few moving parts to break or wear out. The pressurized fuel is siphoned up the fuel control valve into the generator, which gets vaporized and passes into a venturi/chamber beneath the burners where the fuel mixes with air. The fuel vapor rises into the burner where it's ignited.

Each burner is about 3" across and has a 3-stack burner venturi for high heat distribution. The main burner gets hotter than the second burner, which is controlled by the classic Coleman flapper valve on the side. Once you crack the second burner and light it, if you open it all the way you need to turn up the main burner to give it more power because the two don't run independently.

It's not hard to use. You need to be careful and it's not like propane where you light it and go. You have to pump the tank up 30 to 50 times to pressurize it. Make sure the lighting level it turned up (it changes the orifice diameter at the generator tip to allow more fuel so it heats up faster). Crack open the fuel valve and hold lighter to it (barbecue works best) until you get fire. Let it burn for a minute or so, the flame will be orange until the generator gets hot, and will eventually turn blue. Flip the lever down and you're good to go. It makes a decent amount of heat. I can boil a 1.5 liter tea pot in about 7 or 8 minutes with the burner on high. It heats up fast like a gas range. Cooking is just like on propane, except you have to pump it every so often to keep the pressure in the tank. I can fit two 10" skillets on mine at the same time or an 18" to 20" griddle. Not sure about this one, but I'd say you could fit two 8" pans on it.

The stove lid has sturdy steel hinges and wind shields to shield the burners from being blown around by wind. The fuel tank and generator stow inside the stove when not in use. The cooking grid is made from heavy duty steel. I'd say 3/16" steel rod induction welded together and coated with chrome for mine. Not sure with this one, probably smaller gauge. The fuel tank will last probably 2-3 hours depending on how high you have the burners. On full blast with both burners the fuel will be too low to operate in about 2-1/2 hours in my experience. Not bad. About the same or more as a single-use propane cylinder.

This will last a long time. Even if you neglect it and it gets all rusted, it will work. My friend brought his dented, rusted stove and it worked fine.

The only complaint I can think of is the fact you have to use the expensive Coleman fuel. They make a gasoline-Coleman fuel version of this though. Gasoline will work in an emergency, but it's not recommended. Also, it can sometimes be cantankerous to run, especially on cold mornings when it takes a while to heat up. It has to be hot to work right.

Pros:

Will last for decades if maintained
Reliable
High heat output
Durable (the other ones are legendary)

Cons:

The quality of the newer stoves isn't as good as the older ones
Uses Coleman's expensive fuel

So that's it. Coleman owns the market for these, and has for 50 years+ It's a great stove and will last for a long time if you take care of it. I love mine, and after almost 30 years it still runs great every time.
on July 15, 2012
I was once one of the guys that insisted the new Coleman stoves were cheaper and flimsy compared to the Old models. Well after digging out two new 425e models with date code 076 on the tab from my dads stash I have to say contruction quality is about the same. the new one aligns better than the other two older new units.
on August 10, 2012
I am very pleased with this stove. I had been looking for this stove for a few months to replace the one I had given to a family member in need of a good emergency camp stove. The new model (duel fuel) in the stores looked flimsey and not as well made.This stove is sturdy, well build and works great. Propane camp stoves are "cleaner" and the fuel easier to transport but, they tend to freeze up in cool temperatures, use up fuel quickly (one canister per meal) and are much more expensive.